Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I hope pirate is just setting up the king of destruction as an evil rear end in a top hat that can’t help conquering and subjugating and owning everything and then have him loving die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The most recent war the King of Destruction is involved in shows the flaw in his thinking. He started this war for a very good reason, to avenge his people that were slaughtered while no one helped them. But then he went way too far and wanted to murder the entire upper eschalon of that country, which was way too far. Troy sees this, and I think Teres is starting to understand.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Peachfart posted:

The most recent war the King of Destruction is involved in shows the flaw in his thinking. He started this war for a very good reason, to avenge his people that were slaughtered while no one helped them. But then he went way too far and wanted to murder the entire upper eschalon of that country, which was way too far. Troy sees this, and I think Teres is starting to understand.

what's the percentage of dead people that's reasonable here

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The people who were responsible, either in the sense of being directly involved, or being in authority over others while deliberately turning a blind eye.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cicero posted:

The people who were responsible, either in the sense of being directly involved, or being in authority over others while deliberately turning a blind eye.

how do you imagine that you could ever possibly figure these things out beforehand and not end up killing people not involved

revenge is actually not a just cause for war go look at the real world if you want to see why

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

how do you imagine that you could ever possibly figure these things out beforehand and not end up killing people not involved
By investigating, the same as any crime? They even have truth spells in the InnVerse.

quote:

revenge is actually not a just cause for war go look at the real world if you want to see why
Done the right way it's justice, not revenge. Being responsible for the massacre of refugees is no light thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cicero posted:

By investigating, the same as any crime? They even have truth spells in the InnVerse.

Done the right way it's justice, not revenge. Being responsible for the massacre of refugees is no light thing.

so you're proposing that an army should investigate exactly who was responsible for a massacre and then invade and try to kill exclusively the people responsible for the massacre? how exactly do you think that would work out? the people not responsible will just stand by and let themselves be invaded?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

what's the percentage of dead people that's reasonable here

Obviously, the percentage of dead people who were reasonable was 0 :diogenes:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cicero posted:

I really enjoyed Worm and but just from reading bits of discussion here on Ward it never really interested me, and it kind of sounds like I made the right call there. Or maybe that superfan is insane, but they don't sound insane, just really disappointed in something they'd clearly invested so much of themselves into.

I couldn't get into Ward at all after loving Worm. I'm excited for the new project and have been waiting for Ward to wrap up for awhile...years? ... now

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

so you're proposing that an army should investigate exactly who was responsible for a massacre and then invade and try to kill exclusively the people responsible for the massacre? how exactly do you think that would work out? the people not responsible will just stand by and let themselves be invaded?

Maybe a [King] could do it with, I dunno, magic a Skill?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Virigoth posted:

I couldn't get into Ward at all after loving Worm. I'm excited for the new project and have been waiting for Ward to wrap up for awhile...years? ... now

This is where I'm at. I've read and enjoyed all of Wildbow's stories, and Worm I've read probably 2 or 3 times, as well as several stories based on it. But for some reason, Ward didn't pull me at all. I'm glad we're getting a Pact sequel, and it's for the best that it doesn't involve the characters from the previous story.

I'm still curious about that one story that he was planning, back when he was deciding between three stories after Worm and posting previews of them (two of which ended up being Pact and Twig). There was a third one that didn't interest me at all back then, but now I'm a lot more interested in it. I wonder if he'll ever come back to it, or if it just wasn't popular enough.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sailor Dave posted:

This is where I'm at. I've read and enjoyed all of Wildbow's stories, and Worm I've read probably 2 or 3 times, as well as several stories based on it. But for some reason, Ward didn't pull me at all. I'm glad we're getting a Pact sequel, and it's for the best that it doesn't involve the characters from the previous story.

I'm still curious about that one story that he was planning, back when he was deciding between three stories after Worm and posting previews of them (two of which ended up being Pact and Twig). There was a third one that didn't interest me at all back then, but now I'm a lot more interested in it. I wonder if he'll ever come back to it, or if it just wasn't popular enough.

Yeah, I've re-read Worm 3 times myself. It was better the 2nd time around, since you go into it understanding Taylor's personality and flaws.

Pact I liked almost as much as Worm, and I'm thrilled for a sequel.

All three of those teaser stories he posted were good. I bounced off Twig after a few arcs but Pact kept me hooked. I never got emotionally connected with many of the characters (a certain bird was awesome in every way though) but it was one of those morbid train-wreck-in-slow-motion stories that was entertaining to watch unfold.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I can't imagine what story is left to be told in Pact-verse. Wildbow already explored most of the interesting stories and consequences of both Karma and Demonology. You could introduce new types of magic easily, but if you don't include any of the old ones, you might as well just set it in a new world.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Peachfart posted:

KQ
Troy appears to have completely swung in the opposite direction which may be interesting if it corresponds to a change in Teresa views.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

asur posted:

KQ
Troy appears to have completely swung in the opposite direction which may be interesting if it corresponds to a change in Teresa views.

Troy is going through major grief and PTSD issues over crazy Chuthllu land, he will do whatever Flos wants if Flos will take revenge.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Poof seems to have...gone poof? https://poofserial.wordpress.com/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/gemujl/poof_is_gone/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/genzxh/wildbows_newest_serial_has_been_renamed_to_pale/

https://palewebserial.wordpress.com/

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hawkperson posted:

Poof seems to have...gone poof? https://poofserial.wordpress.com/

Rekt. I’ve still got it loaded on my browser I think

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
But Wildbow said he checked with LGBT people and he said they said using the word was fine?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"No you don't understand, back in the 80s I got a lifetime n-word pass"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is 'poof' that well known of a slur? I'd never heard of it before.

edit: oh is it more common in the UK or something?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I'll admit that it didn't occur to me since it's not something I've heard in a long time, living in the US. I just thought of "poof" in a magical sense. Doesn't hurt to change the name though, it doesn't make much of a difference except for putting the inevitable title drop somewhere else.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That seems like an absurd word to complain about but :shrug:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Peachfart posted:

That seems like an absurd word to complain about but :shrug:

Pray tell, what other slurs do you find 'absurd to complain about'?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm not here to judge which words are and are not slurs. But it is just a bit of an overreaction imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Peachfart posted:

I'm not here to judge which words are and are not slurs. But it is just a bit of an overreaction imo.

Or when someone finds they accidentally named their story after a slur they could change it, that works too.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Piell posted:

Or when someone finds they accidentally named their story after a slur they could change it, that works too.

Did he name the story after a slur, or a phrase that could be used when talking about magic which also happens to be a slur that was used 40 years ago?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kalas posted:

Did he name the story after a slur, or a phrase that could be used when talking about magic which also happens to be a slur that was used 40 years ago?

ah yes, the "i was talking about a bundle of sticks cigarette, in england" defense, classic

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

ah yes, the "i was talking about a bundle of sticks cigarette, in england" defense, classic

its a pretty uncommon slur outside of the uk. i literally did not know it even was a slur until today.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Piell posted:

He chose the title despite knowing it was a slur. It wasn't an accident. He was aware of it going in.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

This is the exact opposite of that, though. Most people living outside of the UK and the few other places where that's a thing don't know that poof is used as a pejorative. WB is canadian and, as has been discussed in here before, a bit sheltered in some ways.

What I've gathered is that he originally named it poof for reasons which he says will make perfect sense much later into the story, and when he was informed it might be something that's taken the wrong way by some people he reached out to several gay folks that he trusts and was told by them that it wouldn't be an issue. When he launched it publicly, other people spoke up about it, and he decided it wasn't worth using that name if it would be a problem for some readers.

He handled the whole thing really well imho.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's a pretty common slur in both the UK and Australia. The other thing that's so bizarre about it is Wildbow wasn't ignorant - as people have pointed out, he says he asked people and decided using it was okay.

Don't tie yourselves into knots defending it because only US slurs are actually offensive or whatever you're all trying to imply.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

and when he was informed it might be something that's taken the wrong way by some people

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's a pretty common slur in both the UK and Australia. The other thing that's so bizarre about it is Wildbow wasn't ignorant - as people have pointed out, he says he asked people and decided using it was okay.

It's not a stretch to think he named it without knowing until someone told him about it. As people have mentioned, there's a number of people here that didn't understand the reference.

(And btw, the version I heard when I was a kid was 'poofta' which is significantly different, but I understand the shorter version was used as well)

Without having any investment in this either way, I think this is more of a case that some people want to be offended so they have an excuse to whine about something.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kalas posted:

It's not a stretch to think he named it without knowing until someone told him about it. As people have mentioned, there's a number of people here that didn't understand the reference.

(And btw, the version I heard when I was a kid was 'poofta' which is significantly different, but I understand the shorter version was used as well)

Without having any investment in this either way, I think this is more of a case that some people want to be offended so they have an excuse to whine about something.

Complaining about people not liking a slur as the name for a story sounds like a case of someone wanting to be offended so they have an excuse to whine about something

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Piell posted:

Complaining about people not liking a slur as the name for a story sounds like a case of someone wanting to be offended so they have an excuse to whine about something

Here's the thing, there's a poo poo ton of words that are slurs to some specific country or ethnic group. Do we ban all those words?
If so we'd have to change a whole lot of movie and book names to avoid using these words. Go ahead and say 'well, but this is well known'. The fact it's a UK originated slur makes it more worthy to be avoided then say from some random country in Africa or Asia?

It's not hard to google for a list of slurs we'd have to start using to not offend some person somewhere. I did, and I started to laugh at the though of removing these words from use.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Stop being stupid about slurs, please.

E: "Poof" as in magic and "poof" the slur are pronounced differently and wouldn't be confused in speech, which might explain why Wildbow thought it was an OK name, but it's really not.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 7, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Piell posted:

he changed the name

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kalas posted:

Here's the thing, there's a poo poo ton of words that are slurs to some specific country or ethnic group. Do we ban all those words?
If so we'd have to change a whole lot of movie and book names to avoid using these words. Go ahead and say 'well, but this is well known'. The fact it's a UK originated slur makes it more worthy to be avoided then say from some random country in Africa or Asia?

It's not hard to google for a list of slurs we'd have to start using to not offend some person somewhere. I did, and I started to laugh at the though of removing these words from use.

What is the bad consequence I'm supposed to see for "generally, it's a bad idea to use slurs as the title for your fiction you're about to write". (Also nobody is "banning" them)

Edit: words that are a slur in a different language aren't as bad but should still probably be avoided, but that isn't the case here

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 7, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Don't tie yourselves into knots defending it because only US slurs are actually offensive or whatever you're all trying to imply.

What is bizarre about concluding that a word is fine after asking people who you thought would be good judges on that matter? He clearly made a mistake in only asking americans and/or canadians, but it would be weird to ask the affected group and then go "no actually I know better than you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I adore how big brained this thread gets, but I'm especially loving the dissonance between 'the only slurs that matter are the ones I hear personally' and 'the people who heard that slur personally are whiners.' Just incredible.

Edit: To the above, I meant to imply he never actually asked due to the whole 'Well, my black friend said it's okay' energy of it all. Same way I don't buy that a deck of cards was the fault of Ward's LGBT weirdness. The big Bow has a pattern that when someone like this happens he claims it's because of cards or dice or people he asked and advised him wrong. It's kinda absurd.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2020