Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Kiel and Berlin were army builds, so in theory, England and Germany are at peace. They clearly cooperated to exchange those territories.

I don't understand why it happened. Germany was in a very inferior position at the start of the year, and England had successfully gotten Austria and Turkey to infight. An English solo was within reach.

Anyway, it'll be very interesting to hear what the players have to say for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm wondering if all the thread talk about an English steamroll didn't spook somebody - either England getting paranoid about a triple alliance against it, or Germany switching sides for the promise of a 2-player draw.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is Germany going to win now? Sort of feels like people are letting Germany get strong.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Lemniscate Blue posted:

the promise of a 2-player draw.

No such thing: there are 35 SCs total so any division of the board where only two players remain means someone will get 18 or more SCs and win outright. The smallest draw is a 3-way. Intentionally, I assume, since this fact tends to force dynamic allies.

The English solo has been a stretch the entire time and has probably not been in the cards since Germany recovered in '13. England never really had superiority on either the med or northern front and needed errors, an unexpected stab and blitz, or a divided opposition. There was an opportunity to try to run in front with a small stab on Germany in '12 I think, but that was still not a very strong stab and might not have been worth it diplomatically even if they'd have been stronger locally.

England could still have played more aggressively for the last few turns with little risk of ultimately being removed from the game for it, but I don't think it would've necessarily put them any closer to an outright win than scaling down so they can diplomance. Driving a wedge between Turkey and Germany is also a very strong play if they can do it, since England will be the big winner if either of those is weakened.

It's easy for us in the peanut gallery to assume a spherical Austria-Hungary in a vacuum when analyzing moves -- I certainly do it -- but the game is really driven by players' perception of how other players will jump. Giving up SCs to encourage someone to jump favorably isn't necessarily a bad idea in a deadlock, and in this case Germany did not immediately build a very large number of boats so short term it seems like a correct read. If it's better long term is hard to say, certainly those are a lot of boats to lose. Germany now has a lot of options and not all of them are great for England, even with them all being army builds.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Austra-Hungary will never die, just the people that play them :c00lbert:

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

Xerophyte posted:

a spherical Austria-Hungary in a vacuum

As a former physics major I just wanted to say that I love this!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ProfFrink posted:

As a former physics major I just wanted to say that I love this!

He forgot frictionless though.

6.5/10, keep the effort up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's 34 supply centers total, not 35. the current standings have UK, Germany and Ottomans at a three way tie with 10 each and AH with a poor 4.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
England accepted that it lost its chance at a solo win, so now they're angling for a three way draw. To convince Germany that they're sincere they withdrew from a lot of territory. Now they will gang up on Austria-Hungary.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spring 1916

The UK and Germany do some troop shuffling. Of note, the UK convoys Germany's Belgian army to Norway.

Germany
A Bel - Nwy - via convoy
A Ber - Sil
F Den - Kie
A Kie - Mun
A Mos - Sev
A Mun - Boh
F Nwy - Nrg
F Ska - Den

Further south, the lines hold in Italy, but Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire do some tradesies for provinces. It remains to be seen if they switch hands by the end of fall...

Austria-Hungary
A Bud S Tri - Ser
A Tri - Ser
A Ukr - Rum (failed)
A Ven S Tri (inconsistent order)

United Kingdom
A Bur H
F Nrg - Nat
F Nth C Bel - Nwy
A Par - Gas
A Pie S Ven
A Rom H
F Spa south coast - Mar
F Tun S Tyn
F Tus S Rom
F Tyn S Rom

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Apu
F Aeg S Ion
A Alb - Tri
A Apu S Nap
A Con - Bul
F Ion S Nap
F Nap S Apu
A Rum S Ser - Bud (support cut)
A Ser - Bud (failed; retreat: A Ser R Gre)
A War - Urk (failed)

But while the Ottoman's are otherwise engaged, Germany slips into Sevastapol.

League Chat is silent.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Work hit me hard this week. We are once again behind--I can never seem to keep up! But I have a bunch of free time tomorrow, so I will attempt to rapid-fire some updates.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Germany, now is the time to seize edi

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fall 1916

The UK and Germany continue to shuffle their units around up north. Of note, the UK launched an attack on the German fleet in the Norwegian Sea.

Germany does not claim Sevastapol, and with the Ottoman Empire's help, is back in Moscow. In the process, this blocks an Austrian move.

Lots going on down south. The Ottoman Empire launches an offensive on Austria-Hungary, and now neatly occupy much of their territory. Germany begins moving south too, with British support.

This does not bode well for Austria-Hungary.

Austria-Hungary
A Bud-Tri (failed; retreat: burnt)
A Ser - Rum
A Ukr - Mos (failed)
A Ven S Bud - Tri (support cut; retreat: burnt)

- A Ukr

United Kingdom
A Bur H
A Gas - Mar
F Mar - Spa(sc)
F Nat S Nth - Nrg
F Nth - Nrg
A Pie S Mun - Tyr
A Rom H
F Tun S Tyn
F Tus S Rom
F Tyn S Rom

Germany
A Boh - Vie
F Den H
F Kie - Hel
A Mun - Tyr
F Nrg H (retreat: burnt)
A Nwy - Stp
A Sev - Mos
A Sil - Gal

+ A Ber
+ A Kie
+ A Mun

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Apu - Ven
F Aeg S Ion
A Apu - Ven
A Bul S Gre - Ser
A Gre - Ser
F Ion S Nap
F Nap S Ion
A Rum - Bud
A Tri S Rum - Bud
A War S Sev - Mos

+ A Con
+ F Smy

League Chat is ominously silent.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
It's a shame that Austria's gone now. I would have liked to have seen them survive a few more turns, if only to mess with people's perfectly reasonable bets!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ottomans are now technically in the driver's seat with 12 SCs
Germany in 2nd with 11
UK maintains at 10
A-H left with one

We may see this going to a three way draw but, it may not as the Ottomans and Germany have a vast front with which they might tussle over. The UK is technically the weakest of the three, but the lines with which they must defend against are relatively smaller and primarily naval, effectively making chokepoints against the other two.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
With that intentional burning of the German fleet, it looks like Germany and England are angling for a two-way draw, but that could easily slide into a German solo

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Everyone else might as well surrender now, Austria-Hungary has got this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm impressed Germany has come back like this. They got beaten up real bad in the first fights but have come back and rapidly expanded.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

ilmucche posted:

I'm impressed Germany has come back like this. They got beaten up real bad in the first fights but have come back and rapidly expanded.

The Ottomans similarly came back from near destruction to become a contender. This game has been a good demonstration that it's not over until it's over.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

This game has been a good demonstration that it's not over until it's over.
Go A-H!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It may look like AH is in a bad spot, but Turkey and Germany have made a crucial error by leaving them with Romania as their only SC, allowing AH to take advantage of the rarely seen Dracula Rule.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
My hope is that the players are going for a 3-way draw with Austria being defeated. Perhaps the players are rather bored of the game.

It's either that or we're in for a very long slog.

Noteworthy:
- Turkey built a fleet in smy, but just like before, that fleet has nowhere to go. I'd have expected an army or a fleet in ank. Since England now has 4 fleets in the Mediterranean, it's very unlikely that they can gain more than Rome at this point.
- England displaced the German fleet to allow them to disband it. Germany got another army build and solidified their non-aggression pact.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spring 1917

Not fooling anyone about their ceasefire, UK and Germany continue to reshuffle their adjacent forces.

In Italy, the UK is able to make progress into Naples. They also attempt to take Venice with Germany's help, but to no avail. Germany tries for Trieste as well, but is repulsed.

United Kingdom
A Bur - Mar
A Mar - Spa
F Nat - Nrg
F Nrg - Edi
A Pie - Ven (failed)
A Rom - Nap
F Spa(sc) - Wes
F Tun - Ion (failed)
F Tus - Rom
F Tyn S Rom - Nap

But over here we have some potential for SC changes. Germany moves into Warsaw, while the Ottoman's take Romania, while Austria-Hungary moves into the unguarded Sevastapol.

Austria-Hungary
A Rum - Sev

Germany
A Ber - Pru
F Den - Ska
A Gal - War
F Hel - hol
A Kie - Ruh
A Mos S Gal - War
A Mun - Sil
A Stp - Liv
A Tyr S Pie - Ven
A Vie - Tri (failed)

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Ven
F Aeg - Gre
A Bud S Bul - Rum
A Bul - Rum
A Con - Bul
F Ion S Nap (support cut)
F Nap S Ion (support cut; retreat: F Nap R Apu)
A Ser - Alb
F Smy - Aeg
A Tri S Bud (support cut)
A Ven H
A War - Ukr

League Chat is dead.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So... Finland's gonna stay neutral in all this?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
CAN'T KILL WHAT YOU CAN'T CATCH BOYEEE

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So... Finland's gonna stay neutral in all this?

More like no one cares enough about Finland to take it. Same with North Africa.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Okay, I guess we're picking the long slog option.

With the loss of Naples, both England and Turkey are stuck Mediterranean-wise for a while longer. The unit that took Naples was an army instead of a fleet, so ION and apu will serve as chokepoints. Venice is also unpushable for now due to the unbreakable Adriatic Sea fleet defense.

- England: +1/0 Naples
- Turkey: +2/-3 Gain Rumania and Vienna but lose Naples, Warsaw, and Sev
- Germany: +1/-1 Gain Warsaw but lose Vienna
- Austria: +1/-1 Survive by clinging onto Sev

- I think Germany will troll Turkey by support-defending Austria in Sev, so Austria only loses if they want to lose.
- Turkey can use Trieste (with Budapest support and Venice support cutting tyr) to take Vienna. (Venice is not at risk because apu + ADR could double attack into it, and Trieste isn't at risk due to Albania)
- Naples cannot be reclaimed due to the TYN support-defense.
- In preparation for taking Venice, England should support into Tuscany. Piedmont would be 0 risk, but if they take the brave option of convoying Spain to Tuscany, then Naples will have a chance of being displaced.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 11, 2020

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The Tuscany convoy is free since Rome is enough to support Naples and hold the line.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I thought of that too, but Venice could attack Rome to break that support. Then ION + apu (with ION attacking or convoying) could take Naples.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Austria's life is basically entirely in Germany's hands. I'm not super sure what the current alliance web looks like, but all that needs to be done to kill them now is to dislodge them from Sev this turn. Whether that can be done without Turkey getting torn to shreds, I don't know.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

- I think Germany will troll Turkey by support-defending Austria in St. Petersburg, so Austria only loses if they want to lose.

Hey! I resemble that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fall 1917

Germany holds on Warsaw and helps Austria-Hungary take Sevastapol. As the Ottomans take Romania, this keeps A-H afloat. Still, the Ottoman's are able to push Germany out of Vienna.

Austria-Hungary
A Sev S War Ukr

Germany
F Hol H
A Lvn - War
A Mos S Sev
A Pru - Sil
A Ruh - Mun
A Sil - Gal
F Ska - Nwy
A Tyr - Tri (failed)
A Vie S Try - Tri (support cut; retreat: A Vie R Boh)
A War - Ukr

+ A Ber

The Mediterranean is still a mess--though the UK has made progress in the Italian peninsula, taking hold of Naples.

United Kingdom
F Edi H
A Mar - Pie
A Nap H
F Nrg H
A Pie - Tus
F Rom S Pie - Tus
A Spa H
F Tun - Ion (failed)
F Tyn S Nap
F Wes - Gol

+ F Lon

Ottoman Empire
F Adr - Ven (failed)
F Aeg - Ion (failed)
A Alb - Tri (failed)
F Apu S Ion - Nap
A Bud S Tri - Vie
A Bul - Ser
F Gre S Aeg - Ion
F Ion - Nap (failed)
A Rum S Ukr - Sev
A Tri - Vie
A Urk - Sev (failed; retreat: burnt)
A Ven - Tyr (failed)

Retreat move:

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Finally a turn that went as expected. :D It gets easier with fewer people and fewer stabs.

- Austria: It's not very nice, but they can wander into Turkey's backline. Sev -> Arm -> Ank or Smy. The Austria player was allied with Italy to take out Turkey, IIRC. Doing something like that would basically be the end of Turkey.
- England and Germany should be capable of taking Vienna and Venice. I expect at least 1 more SC to fall to Germany, like Budapest or Sev.
- Turkey should get England and Germany to turn on each other. While neither is well-positioned to pull off a stab, Germany will be in a position to win the game on its own if England doesn't do something about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Germany just wiping its rear end all over that map and turning it brown.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Xelkelvos posted:

It's 34 supply centers total, not 35. the current standings have UK, Germany and Ottomans at a three way tie with 10 each and AH with a poor 4.

Huh, so it is. I feel like I need to hand in my Diplomacy nerd card or something; I was sure that it was 35. Alright, so a 2-way tie can happen if two powers manage to split the map exactly on one of the 17 SC stalemate lines. That's unlikely, which explains why I don't think I've ever seen one (although that one 3-way I was in were I only owned tun in the end must've been close).

I don't think it's possible for Germany and England to end up on a line like that from this position. Far as I'm aware there are only two 17 SC stalemate lines and both go through the Mediterranean, so GE can only arrange such a 2-way stalemate if Germany get fleets into the Med. That seems far fetched. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

I'm not entirely sure what to expect at this point. I don't think a GE tie is possible. England need to attack Germany's northern centers to win even if England get all of the mediterranean, while Germany can win just by taking land from Turkey. The compensation is that England are in a slightly better position to stab, but not by much since they've made (been forced to make?) so many concessions on how their northern forces are placed.

It's not unreasonable for both Germany and England to keep going since they will make gains, but the further they go the more I expect the board will favor Germany. I don't think it's possible for them to take out Turkey without letting Germany just win: at some point either Germany gets so far ahead or -- less likely -- England gets a really nice stab and the weaker party will have to ally the Turks. Maybe if they successfully shenanigan Austria-Hungary to take the south-east, but that also seems really hard to engineer without someone else just winning.

Incidentally, Turkey not getting in to tri is a big deal: it means that they likely cannot hold vie or rum against the Germans this year. England, in contrast, will only maybe get ven if Germany decides they want to be nice.

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

Xerophyte posted:

Incidentally, Turkey not getting in to tri is a big deal: it means that they likely cannot hold vie or rum against the Germans this year. England, in contrast, will only maybe get ven if Germany decides they want to be nice.

Yep. Spoiler alert - I'm hosed

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Honestly using Austria to finish of Turkey would be a decent way to stave of the alliance collapsing. Since every Turkish SC Austria takes is that much closer to them being eliminated, but it doesn't put any risk of Austria bouncing back and being a threat so long they don't get any of their home centers back.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
England and Germany can't possibly be crazy enough to be attempting a 3 way draw with a single SC third, can they?

They're both holding steady at 11 SCs each.

Austria is primed now to run around into Turkey's rear and force them to make a choice between giving up the Balkans or protecting its home SCs, but without Austria having control of its home SCs, it's can't actually build anything.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Zengetsu posted:

England and Germany can't possibly be crazy enough to be attempting a 3 way draw with a single SC third, can they?

There may just be a few more surprises left in this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I have to admit I'm amazed: Austria has one army left yet they're still a notable force on the board.

I'll admit I wrote them off several turns ago, and now I understand how that led to my downfall.