Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

An Insane Person posted:

P. S My son moved out, we haven't spoken in 5 years.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Guest2553 posted:

I joined the army and moved across the country at 18, no regerts.

Just today opened an envelope containing a will in which my spouse's mother named them as the executor a few years after going excommunicado. Yay us.
They can refuse to do it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Norry posted:

Found this on Reddit as a reply to a woman who lives with her MIL, who banned her from leaving her room during the day except to feed her newborn.

Definitely a southerner. I'm guessing Georgia or Alabama.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

They can refuse to do it.

Which is the plan. We're also safe from bullshit filial support lawsuits as well :toot:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

almost seems too convenient, why the hell would they put that in the story unless they were trying to undermine everything they said?

Still I liked the story of the evil son whose crimes include *checks notes* . . . claiming his deserved financial aid in order to attend medical school and being intimate with his girlfriend

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Guest2553 posted:

Which is the plan. We're also safe from bullshit filial support lawsuits as well :toot:
Excellent!

More from the previous thread:

quote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my latest update posting. Yes, you are correct in the fact that my husband and I were always there as his safety net and he knew it. You know my story very well. He really doesn’t point the finger at his dad. I have always been his punching bag. “Perhaps he married a woman who stepped into your shoes and took over responsibility for your son.” That is not the case here. He is married to someone who really has some deep and dark emotional issues. He works 2 jobs, shops, cooks . . . .My gc are 12 and 16 so there is no reason why she can’t go to work to help him out. He mentioned in his conversation “I have alot of things on my plate. Things you don’t even know about.” I should have said why don’t you tell us about what is going on maybe venting may help, but I didn’t. I have a good idea that his wife barely functions as I mentioned she has a sister who lives in the same community and they haven’t spoken in years. My gs has an learning disability and I won’t go into the details but he is emotional fragile. I hear what your saying when our adult children still act like children, how do they expect to treated. ES never really grew up mentally. He only sees what he wants to see and never really accepted responsibility the the horrible way he has treated his father and I. Bottom line no matter what, none of us here on this forum deserve the sentence our own flesh and blood handed down to us.And yes, I have reached the end of the rope!!!!!

And I was weirdly amused by the descriptions of estranged children in the thread's comments:

-toxic
-lacks empathy
-difficult personality or perhaps a personality disorder
-disordered
-Aspergers (autism)
-persecution complex and paranoia
-narcissist
-sociopath

There's no difference between those things, is there? Probably not.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Epitope posted:

God damnit dad, I could really use some dad advice, or some dad commiseration, or at lease be able to chat my father when i'm going through some poo poo, but I'm avoiding talking to you at all because what I don't need is someone to try to take charge of my life and judge my decisions.

Feeling this hard.

My dad sends me the occasional boomer picture text or whatever and I don't always have a response. I've been so busy with work and feeling overwhelmed with the world. Like my job is changing every day and I'm working 7 days a week and nights... and yeah it's a lot for my ADHD rear end. Even my sister that I am normally in daily contact with had only got a few texts in the last week when she needed help.

Last weekend he called me early afternoon and left a voicemail. It was the most huffy annoyed tone about not having time for my father. Why? Because I'd failed to respond to a picture text a week ago and so he assumed I was dead or something. I listened to the message, was busy, and called back a few hours later. Had to make sure I was fed and in an ok mood.

My dad answered and wasted no time jumping to berating me for not prioritizing him, and told me if he's such a bother don't talk to him. I got in maybe 5 words before getting chewed out and he hung up on me. I didn't call him back to apologize and haven't bothered to message him. If he had let me talk he may have heard about all the things going on.

He's now sulking to my sisters telling them I have ghosted him, and generally poo poo talking me. For not responding to a picture, and not following up apologizing after being hung up on. Why do I bother at all. I guess I still hope my dad can be reasonable and decent, and I disappoint myself with that expectation every time

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rat posted:

Had to make sure I was fed and in an ok mood.

:sympathy:

It's a chore, we need to make sure and put enough energy into our simulacra to keep them happy. If you don't feed them a image of you that they like, they throw a tantrum.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've already been feeling a bit poo poo about my dad these days, and now he's whining about wanting to visit, and saying "well i understand you don't want to take unnecessary risk, but let me know when i can see you" blah blah. Like, i would enjoy visiting too, but I don't burden you with all the responsibility for making the call, and then plead to get you to call it the way i want it.
This is annoying, but whatever. Until I'm interacting with the missus, and she's trying to be firm, no we can't just let people visit willy nilly. And I get sad, what if they die of covid and i never see my parents again. And then I see things she does that are risky, and feel resentment that she's taking risk but I can't see my parents... Gah gently caress you dad, you're poisoning my relationship now. Just gently caress off.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just got tired of the passive aggressive way my mom always said goodbye whenever I'd go to her place.

"Guess I'll see you next holiday."

And then I'd be like "We can do something before then, just let me know what you want to do, I'm always free Sundays." But that wasn't what she wanted. She wanted me to do all the contacting, all the planning, everything. But I was working full time and in university, with a husband, doing house renos and helping him fix his car, while battling severe chronic illness. But because I wasn't completely focused on making her the center of attention, it meant I didn't care about her at all.

My grandparents were the same way. It was mandatory for us to call them, every week at the same time. If we missed a week it was because we were unloving little shits, and when you said "you could have called us" they said it doesn't work that way. It HAS to be the kids and grandkids who call the parents and grandparents and never the other way around. I still don't know why, that's just the way it is. It feels so forced and phony. Do they not see how hypocritical they are when they say "If you don't call me it means you don't love me" and refuse to ever call anyone? It's so stupid to make up these arbitrary and ridiculous rules then treat family like garbage because of them. Forced relationships are not relationships. Their narcissism is so destructive.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

trickybiscuits posted:

quote:

And yes, I have reached the end of the rope!!!!!

Powerful

energy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Picnic Princess posted:

I just got tired of the passive aggressive way my mom always said goodbye whenever I'd go to her place.

"Guess I'll see you next holiday."

And then I'd be like "We can do something before then, just let me know what you want to do, I'm always free Sundays." But that wasn't what she wanted. She wanted me to do all the contacting, all the planning, everything. But I was working full time and in university, with a husband, doing house renos and helping him fix his car, while battling severe chronic illness. But because I wasn't completely focused on making her the center of attention, it meant I didn't care about her at all.

My grandparents were the same way. It was mandatory for us to call them, every week at the same time. If we missed a week it was because we were unloving little shits, and when you said "you could have called us" they said it doesn't work that way. It HAS to be the kids and grandkids who call the parents and grandparents and never the other way around. I still don't know why, that's just the way it is. It feels so forced and phony. Do they not see how hypocritical they are when they say "If you don't call me it means you don't love me" and refuse to ever call anyone? It's so stupid to make up these arbitrary and ridiculous rules then treat family like garbage because of them. Forced relationships are not relationships. Their narcissism is so destructive.

"Children are supposed to call parents" is one of the oldest manipulation tricks. It puts every bit of the responsibility on you to know how often you should call, how long the call should be, what the call is about, etc. There's never a correct answer, so they can use it however they want to continue controlling you and making you feel that one day you'll get it right.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Epitope posted:

:sympathy:

It's a chore, we need to make sure and put enough energy into our simulacra to keep them happy. If you don't feed them a image of you that they like, they throw a tantrum.
Or if you do see them but for a reason they don't deem fit...

In early March my grandpa passed away. I visited the family (it's a 2 hour drive each way) and we shared stories and it was good. Family from out of province I haven't seen in a while. Saw my mom, she lived with grandpa. I had to go home the same day due to work.

My other sister came out the next day (keep in mind she hasn't met most of the family and was overwhelmed) and I took the following day off work to visit her and the family again. I haven't seen that sister in a year and we're as close as we can be through the distance. So I visited, had a day at home, then came back.

My mom was indignant about that. She was just so drat mad that I'd make the effort to come out and see my sister and the family. I rented a car and lost a day's wages annnnnnd when I got there my mom wouldn't even say hello to me. She was smoking on the porch and just looked away from me when I said hello. She made it all about her and resents her children having a close relationship

I'm glad at least my sisters are seeing through the masks

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife says that, because my parents weren't around much, I generally had to raise myself. Because of this, my parents(who are for the most part cool people) have the initial reaction of disgust every time they hear I succeeded at something.

my dad does this, even when it's something he specifically wanted me to do or is into himself - in fact, ESPECIALLY if it's something he does too. He has made buttons for a long time, but for fun, and this year when I got a button maker and wound up selling thousands of buttons in a few months, his first reaction to it was to get a sour look and say 'well, you're supposed to give those out for FREE' and then he started complaining that I gained weight.

We got in a fight about how much of a dick he was being and I haven't talked to him in a few months, though we have been on the same zoom call. Not really estranged, I just don't want to talk to him because he was an rear end in a top hat

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"Children are supposed to call parents" is one of the oldest manipulation tricks. It puts every bit of the responsibility on you to know how often you should call, how long the call should be, what the call is about, etc. There's never a correct answer, so they can use it however they want to continue controlling you and making you feel that one day you'll get it right.

I see it. I've never been keen on ny aspect of "because you're supposed to" in my life and it's always caused problems with them. Another one that annoyed me a lot was dishes after dinner. Getting kids to do dishes is fine, whatever, but my mom would have her best friends and their kids over (the pact baby friend and her husband), and sometimes we'd be at their place. No matter what, it was me and my sister who had to do the dishes.

In our house it was "guests aren't supposed to dishes, you're rude to think they should clean up after us", and then in their house it was "they cooked us food AND you expect them to do dishes? Be a good guest and clean up for them". And all adults would laugh about it every time.

The hypocracy really pissed me off. Their kids who were the same ages as us never helped at all, and were told not to. I'm not mad about doing chores, but it certainly felt like we were being used. Early childhood trauma at the hands of our father led us to be too afraid to stand up for ourselves, we always tried to avoid conflict, and they took total advantage of it and thought it was hilarious.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

empty whippet box posted:

my dad does this, even when it's something he specifically wanted me to do or is into himself - in fact, ESPECIALLY if it's something he does too. He has made buttons for a long time, but for fun, and this year when I got a button maker and wound up selling thousands of buttons in a few months, his first reaction to it was to get a sour look and say 'well, you're supposed to give those out for FREE' and then he started complaining that I gained weight.

We got in a fight about how much of a dick he was being and I haven't talked to him in a few months, though we have been on the same zoom call. Not really estranged, I just don't want to talk to him because he was an rear end in a top hat
I just cannot imagine being mad about your kids' successes. Isn't that half the point of having children in the first place?

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Mine seem to have an issue with me being successful at the wrong thing. The wrong thing being whatever I achieved without their direct input and supervision.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My father-in-law was guilty of that for a long tike but he has since accepted that his kids aren't all going to be doctors and lawyers and it's okay. He's chilled out a lot over the years. He wanted all 6 of his kids to have high paying prestigious careers. The so-called failures of the 4 oldest are

PhD in computational mathematics.
Masters in animal behavior.
6 figures trades career.
General manager of a popular upscale restaurant.

All of these were disappointments. I'm glad he got over the whole issue of prestige and making himself look good. I really wish others would do the same. It's good that your kid is pursuing their passions and living their best lives. Be proud of them!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I sent my therapist a screed i had written in the middle of the night after my mom emailed me on my birthday despite me telling her YEARS ago that i was done talking to her. It reads as follows (note, this was just for catharsis, I was never going to actually send it to her):

"You want to do this? Okay.

I need a spoken audio apology for all of the abusive bullshit you put me through. 

This includes:

-Screaming at me down the phone

-Denying my account of sexual assault when i told you about it before ninth grade

-Giving flippant remarks to me about my sexuality when i came out to you around the same time (see, sending me to church camp did make a difference! I learned to recognize abuse!!)

-Giving birth to me without any kind of consideration about the quality of life i would live

-Being almost completely emotionally absent for as long as i can remember

-Losing interest in me as soon as i had my own wants and needs

-Not allowing me to be social and hating all of my friends, talking down on literal children to me

-Being openly embarrassed by normal child behavior from me and making me grow up too soon"

My therapist had the nerve to tell me that i shouldn't have included the bit about giving birth to me bc "well she probably really wanted you and wanted the best for you despite what her actions may have said"

Folks. The only reason i wasn't aborted was because my narcissistic mother thought the people at Planned Parenthood were talking down to her and implying that she wouldn't be able to raise a child in a healthy way. She gave birth to me out of SPITE against some people she was never going to see again. She never wanted me. She wanted to prove some healthcare workers wrong.

I'm going to talk to my therapist on Saturday and make sure to bring this up bc i don't think she fully understands. It just sucks to be told by people that don't know about the past being like "she's your mother, of course she wanted you, of course she loves you"

Ugh. Sorry for the novel.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

There's no way to win, because to win you have to make them happy and these are people who are not capable of being happy. Even if you do everything right, they'll say you did it for the wrong reasons and not because you care about them. A while ago someone was talking about the time they spent working as a paramedic and how their therapist had suggested that perhaps they had taken a stressful job as a way to explain the then-undiagnosed anxiety they had. I think it's like that: they're always unhappy, and they're always trying to find the reason why they're unhappy, and it can't be some flaw in them, so it must be the failure of other people.

Two quotes:

quote:

Like many of you I have been estranged from my daughter and only child for a few yrs now. She is 35 and I am in my early 50’s. She is a Millennial and I am Generation X. To this day I do not know what happened to make her pull away from me and our entire family and I suspect neither does she. After spending almost 3 yrs trying to figure it out I have come to the conclusion that Social Media and the “ Woke” movement or “ Tyranny of Woke” as i like to call it all play a role in what is desensitizing and making disrespectful and judgemental monsters of our young adults. Like many of you, my daughter and I were always very close. She was always kind and caring, even rescued animals. She loved her family and was one of the most vocal in asking when the next party or family gathering would occur. She loved being in a large family env. She was well loved and adored. A stunningly beautiful young woman with a heart of gold. People use to say to me, I hope a have a daughter just like yours when mine grows up. You two have such a great relationship! Oh the irony. If they only knew what lay ahead. My daughter has lived on her own since she 16. I raised her to be Independent and she couldn’t wait to get out into the world to explore and build a life. She moved to the biggest city in Ontario at age 23 and things seemed great. Some ups and downs in her life with dating and job changes. But we always supported her throughout the changes in her life. Then 5 yrs ago she took a job working in Social Media. Ironically her communications became less and les and visits were mostly her sitting on the couch with a laptop. The Cell phone was more interesting then the people sitting around her. Social Media became her new best friend. Our phone calls every few weeks were now short texts and I noticed no sharing of what she was up to. When I called to say hello, suddenly I am a nuisance. So I take the hint. I stop calling. Months pass and no reaching out. After 6 months I call and ask if we will see her for her birthday. She grudgingly says yes and when she visits appears to care less. She rolls her eyes at me when I try to get a laugh or make a joke. My husband notices the immaturity and wonders if she is going backwards in that aspect. I don’t disagree. That was in June 2017. Fast forward to Christmas and she is here on Christmas Eve. I come home late from a visit to the hospital and the house is dark. No lights are.on. She is sitting in the livingroom in the dark on her laptop doing work. I ask her why the lights are out. She says she didn’t notice it was dark. I ask my husband who was in the basement watching TV why they aren’t hanging out together like they usually do. He says she didn’t want to do anything just work, so he let her be. (THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET STRANGE) After we talk I walk into the kitchen ro turn on the lights and notice that my large wooden Christmas Angel is turned backwards facing the wall. So I stop in my tracks and look around. Thats strange I say to myself. Then I notice that all of my window ornaments In the house are backwards. WTF ?! I am starting to get a little freaked out. So I walk back into the livingroom. I ask my daughter if she did this. She looks at me like Im losing my mind and says matter of factly. No. So I yell down to my husband. He has no clue what I’m talking about and suddenly I am getting flashes of scary movies with pictures on the wall are turned backwards and I start to cry. This doesn’t feel good whatever it is. My husband becomes concerned and starts asking questions. Finally my 32 yr old daughter speaks up and says it was a joke. A joke!? Are u kidding me. I look at her in disbelief. She looks at me with an eye roll and tells me to chill out. All I am thinking is, what kind of a cruel joke is this?! She explains that since I like to organize all of my Christmas stuff so nicely that she thought it would be funny to mix them all up. I look at her in disbelief and in that moment I thought “ who is this person?” I do not recognize her. And that was the last Christmas we saw her. The next morning she got up and was going to leave before Christmas dinner (which she never does) packed up her gifts after we ate and never looked back. Looking back, clearly whatever was going on with her had begun well before this visit. If only we had caught it back then. I often wonder if I could have stopped what was about to happen next if we did. After that visit, we went from less calls to no calls. Only texting. And sometimes no response. Next she left Facebook (said its for old people) so now I have no way of seeing anything she does anymore. Instagram is her new social media home. I am told she has 15,000 followers. I discover her page and notice she is attending Christmas Markets without me. ( we use to do that at Christmas). She attends them alone and posts photos on Instagram. At this stage my family is wondering where she is, so they follow her on Instagram to see her. None of us see her In person anymore. Fast forward to Oct 2019. She gets MARRIED to a man we have never met. She broadcasts it on the internet to some of her followers and none of her family are invited. My brother sees her post on Instagram and calls my sister who hunts me down. I am outside at our cottage. I get the call. In that instant my heart breaks. I am stunned and overwhelmed. I wail in disbelief. My husband runs outside and is in shock and disbelief himself. He tries to console me and call her. She wont pick up.. I am numb. And later I am faces with the realization that this is something I will never get back and she will never be able to make amends for. That hurt is deep. Hours later I see in the Instagram photos. She is pregnant. Fast forward and a child is born. I text her asking her to please let me know if she is ok and if the baby is ok. She shows me no mercy. I don’t even know the baby’s name. I am gutted. Later on I find out that she has blocked family from her Instagram account and is posting the birth of the baby on there. Who needs a real family these days when you have followers. People started making jokes about it. Told me my name should be “INSTAGRAN” as I now have a virtual grandchild. So after all of this happened ENUFF!! I was done. So i texted my daughter and said “ I am done with you” there is only so much cruelty a Mother can take. Your Cruelty knows no bounds”. And I walked away. Threw in the towel. And I thought to myself, my God, even my worst enemy has never treated me this badly. And what would I have done if this was anyone else but my child. I would NEVER keep someone in my life that treated me so badly. And that was the end of it. That was last October. I know what you must be thinking, how could a Mother give up on a child. And don’t get me wrong, i hear you. But I also know that I must look out for myself. And I need to do this for my own sanity and my poor aching heart . I couldn’t go on trying and hoping for a miracle. It was killing my heart and Invading my thoughts. Since then It feels like I have mourned the death of a child. The process is hard but I promise you it gets a bit easier when you are able to let go. I have come to the realization that If a child walks out of your life as an adult, we have no control over this and they owe us nothing. We have no say. We have no choice. If you have tried everything that you can think of ( which we have) and nothing works. Its time to let go. And take this letter as a warning of the dangers of social media replacing real families. It happens. And I can only hope that years from now, one day she will experience something and realize the gravity of what she has lost. But for now she is a memory of days gone by. I cherish our happy memories and count my blessings that I had her in my life for as long as I did. I am grateful she is alive and well. That is all we can hope for as a parent. My Life goes on. And so should the life of every estranged parent.

quote:

Thought I’d give an update on the counseling we’ve started back up with ES and DIL. Background details are in my profile and posts, but we’re coming up on 3 years of estrangement this summer. We started counseling again end of Feb. My husband and I went alone at first to see if the counselor seemed to be a good fit. We really like him, especially that he shares our faith, and that he seems really skilled. He has been intentional to slow down the interaction (a lot of pausing for “what did you hear”, “how did you feel”). Other than the first session it’s all online, which has had it’s challenges (a/v glitches), but the unexpected benefit is that it’s easier to not be in the same room.

It’s been a respectful interaction, every other week. During sessions 2 & 3 we had a chance to share some of our hurt. We had session 4 last week which was the beginning of their response to what we’ve shared. Husband had shared that them not giving us the benefit of the doubt, not trusting who we are and have always been. ES addressed that, saying it feels like he’s being asked to apologize for what he felt was using his best judgment/discretion at the time (all of which relates to the unfounded accusations DIL has made that I’ve mistreated her for years).

The biggest takeaway for me was when they said that in spite of the difficulties, there was still room for the shout outs on FB in praise of us (years ago). We were stunned to hear that. In the last round of counseling 2.5 years ago I brought up all the nice/kind things DIL had posted about me and her response then was that none of them were true, she just felt she had to say something nice about me since she was doing so about her mom. Now she doesn’t remember saying that, but it’s a huge piece in rejection for me.

Another area brought up was around an analogy – stomping on toes. That’s how my husband described their lack of trust, and that it was an “ow”. They went on to expand that, saying that we had stomped on their toes repeatedly and tried to tell us “ow, you’re hurting me” many many times. But every conversation with them through those years was about their expanding boundaries. I drew a simple stick figure picture to share next time. One stick figure has a heart with a bandage on it. The heart says “ow”. The speech bubble, though, says “boundaries”. That figure is them. The other figure is me, with a thought bubble that says what I heard from their “boundaries” talk = “back off”, and then there is a heart with a bandage on it that says “rejected”. Will this get through to them? We’ll see.

We probably have 3-4 sessions before their next baby is due. My husband is stewing with a lot of bitterness. I went through a deliberate and specific process of forgiveness last summer, and that has helped in releasing them and expectations. My hope is that my husband (dad of ES) can do the same, for his benefit but also for us as a couple.

Earlier quote from this poster:

quote:

I came across this site 16 months ago but have never posted. I can’t believe, sadly, how much of your stories are part of ours. My husband and I have been happily married through the ups and downs of the past 36 years, and are the parents of three adult sons. The downs have included one DIL leaving our youngest son a few years ago (hasn’t quite gotten around to divorcing), middle son in jail/prison when he was 20 for inappropriate contact with a 16 year old, and now is a registered sex offender. I’ve sat with two dear cousins at the end of their battles with cancer. I’ve walked with my dad and stepmother through Dad’s dementia and subsequent passing a year ago. I’ve gone through breast cancer (8 year survivor, yeay!), and YET…. none of that was done “to me”.

Oldest son and daughter in law were married 6 years ago. We loved her, embraced her, sought out ways to accommodate her many food allergies, threw wedding and baby showers, supported her home business, bragged on her to friends, as she did likewise on social media about us.

Throughout the years there have been increasing boundaries and restrictions around their children, especially in regards to our son’s felony status. We worked within all of those, ranging from their first child only being at our house when they were there (middle son still lived with us at that time), to not being at our house at all. Then complete banning of our middle son around DIL and their then two children. Prior to this I spent time with the first GC every week for two years and the second GC when she was born. Usually these boundaries were expressed at what we thought were casual get-togethers for dessert etc. We grew to be suspicious any time they invited us over.

16 months ago (GC were 3 and 15 months), the 3 y.o. said I hit her. I hadn’t (never would), and couldn’t even think when I might have accidentally bumped into her. But it was huge for her, and led to a conversation with son and DIL wherein they talked about the importance of their child knowing she could always come to them and didn’t pooh-pooh it just because it was grandma. I then made the mistake of asking if they had concerns about me taking care of their children.

The subsequent two hours were filled with every imaginable way they could express how deficient I was as a grandma/person.
Too much to list, but I drove home in tears. Sleepless night and an imaginary sign around my neck: “for sale (or free) – one discarded grandma: unkind, inattentive, self-centered, unsafe” and on and on.

When I finally communicated to them about a month later (no contact during that time) how very hurtful that was, our son suggested we go to counseling with them to work through this, raw emotions on both sides, it was too heavy for him to sort out. We never dreamed of what was yet to come.

But in the meantime, my dad (dementia) went from the care facility to the hospital with sepsis and died the next day. Son and DIL decided not to come to his celebration of life at our house because middle son would be there (in spite of the fact that middle son is the one who is always there for his grandparents), but also because of “how raw it is between us and it doesn’t feel safe”.

We started weekly counseling with them and we were floored to hear that they felt we had “sinned against” them ever since they were married. They compiled a list of ten themes and 11 pages long of all of our offenses…so many untruths in it. But the absolute stunner was the accusation that I had been “mean and nasty” to DIL for years, and the admission that her praise of me on social media “was never true”. I/we worked through the ten themes, owned what we could. I apologized in every way I could think of (even for continuing to bring gluten free treats when I didn’t realize she didn’t want them, sheesh), but I couldn’t/wouldn’t own what I never did. That seems to be the deal breaker. We ended counseling after four months, not because we were done but because I was scheduled for surgery and they were going to have their third child. It was a stalemate, but son expressed that they were willing to test the waters moving forward by seeing us once every 2-3 months, just adults.

We went to dinner with them once about six weeks later, during which time I was petrified to be left alone with DIL for fear of what she would say I had said or done. But we got through it. The next month we were texted after the baby was born and invited to meet him at the hospital.

I began to be hopeful. I started sending texts here and there, hoping to start some communication, most of which were ignored. I gathered birthday gifts for the girls’ birthdays, hoping to give them to them at some point. The entire summer went by without contact from son and DIL, except for a 6 word text on my birthday, and one the day after my husband’s birthday.

And my husband? Loves me dearly, absolutely hated to see me raked over the coals during counseling and in fact walked out of one session. Came back in but thought it was useless since it was so one-sided against me. At one point he commented to me that maybe our GC would grow up and want to contact us some day.

Throughout the summer I started sending postcards to the GC – lighthearted, never expressing anything about the separation. For goodness sakes, they can’t even read yet. It was mostly “happy summer” “it’s national rainier cherry day next week, grandpa loves them”, etc.

We finally heard from son and DIL wanting to have dinner out with us in September. Turned out it was on the one-year day of Dad’s passing. They brought the baby so we got to hold him at 4 months (for just the second time). All went ok until I asked about boundaries and expectations moving forward. Then I was told the postcards were not ok, that they were an attempt to go around them to connect with the GC (again, GC can’t read). Stunning.

I’m sure I’m reaching the length limit of posting, and bless you if you’ve read this far.

Since then, there were a couple of e-mails clarifying what I heard them say that night, and expressing the sadness at not being able to see the children (we brought the birthday gifts to the dinner for them to take home, pretty much gave up). We haven’t seen them since Aug 2017.

Excerpt from Son (and DIL) e-mail: “I feel the need to clarify: the boundary of you not having a relationship with our kids isn’t a punishment. It is in place because we don’t feel it’s healthy or wise for our kids to be close to you because we don’t trust you. We don’t trust you to be to share the same definition of safety, kindness or honesty. You won’t be in a relationship with our kids until we can trust you to be safe, kind and honest to us, their parents”. Where at first they had many disagreements over her claims “that’s not like my mom”, he has now bought into it wholesale.

I won’t get into my e-mail response to them here, maybe later – but I haven’t heard back (didn’t really expect to) and it’s been two months since that e-mail. Meanwhile the GC are growing up without us, and I’m not so sure I even want to be around our son and DIL.
I really, really hope this counseling does not reestablish the relationship.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

trickybiscuits posted:

My daughter has lived on her own since she 16. I raised her to be Independent and she couldn’t wait to get out into the world to explore and build a life. 

This bit really stuck out to me in the first quote bc there's no way the girl want acting out of desperation to be out of the house OR mom kicked her out. This reads very close to the way my egg donor talks about her kicking me out of the house and making me homeless at sixteen. Notice the gap between when daughter "established her Independence" at 16 and then the immediate next development is her moving at 23. Seems like daughter had already started cutting her out.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Glossing over "moved out at 16" is the best part. It's like pretending it's normal to have a tail or something.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Ah I glossed over that, I was really trying to figure out the first one. I think the horror movie Christmas prank just threw me off and I was trying to figure out how that led to her never talking to her family ever again. Without that detail I was like "maybe she did just go crazy over Christmas ornaments?" Most of the time they at least write "we had an argument" even if they never say or minimize the reasons. This one was a lot harder to tease out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

number 1 snake fan posted:

This bit really stuck out to me in the first quote bc there's no way the girl want acting out of desperation to be out of the house OR mom kicked her out. This reads very close to the way my egg donor talks about her kicking me out of the house and making me homeless at sixteen. Notice the gap between when daughter "established her Independence" at 16 and then the immediate next development is her moving at 23. Seems like daughter had already started cutting her out.

What strikes me about the quote you quoted is "I raised my daughter to be independent" YAY for me, it is all my fault that she is independent. "but she couldn't wait to leave the house." BOO her for leaving the glory of my saintly presence. The blatant hypocrisy of both praising and damning for the same action. All the while making it about her, and not her daughter.

An unrelated thought:

Why are all their screeds so long, garbled, and incomprehensible? All of the stories of estrangement that they tell are pretty simple. i.e. "My daughter and I do not have a close relationship because of (reasons). Here is an incident that exemplifies this. I feel sad and angry." That gets everything across, and even allows for the twisting/omitting of facts that these people do.

Instead they go on and on and on in ways that I'm sure they think makes them sound smarter/more in the right/more of a victim etc. but instead comes across as garbled nonsense.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why are all their screeds so long, garbled, and incomprehensible? All of the stories of estrangement that they tell are pretty simple. i.e. "My daughter and I do not have a close relationship because of (reasons). Here is an incident that exemplifies this. I feel sad and angry." That gets everything across, and even allows for the twisting/omitting of facts that these people do.

Instead they go on and on and on in ways that I'm sure they think makes them sound smarter/more in the right/more of a victim etc. but instead comes across as garbled nonsense.

They are on some level actively wrestling with their internal realizations that they hosed up but not coming to terms with it, so they are burning off all this crazy energy in attempts to justify how they did nothing wrong. They are compelled to go that extra mile to "tell it all."

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

They're just doing crazy long dances to avoid any sort of personal accountability.

In that first novel, the reject parents kicked their daughter out hoping she would drown, but she instead gains skills and experience, and has some success with social media.

:supaburn: "SOCIAL MEDIA HAS TAKEN OVER HER LIFE, also she deleted her Facebook account so I can't stalk her there."

I also get the feeling that she was ready to either call a priest or take a belt to her daughter for moving her angel ornament.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As someone who moved out at 17, I can guarantee you that poor girl was inconsolably miserable. I'm glad she escaped :unsmith:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah I don't even think the daughter did move the christmas ornaments, from the mother's writing is looks like, she asked, the daughter said no, so she browbeat her until she "admitted" it was her and it was a joke

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The "Tyranny of Woke"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrigadierSensible posted:

They're extremely bad at communicating in any meaningful way, as evidenced by their awful relationships with most people in their lives.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
That's also how your typical deflection and rationalization works. They can't flat out deny or acknowledge the uncomfortable truth directly; that's a losing battle that they're unwilling to even engage in. So they pile on "facts" and "details" aimed at justifying their position and actions. All in the hopes of burying the kernel of truth under a mountain of misleading bullshit.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

are those seriously the same poster? ‘my daughter abandoned me because social media has taken control of her soul’ and ‘my daughter gets all huffy at me when i expose her child to a convicted sex offender’?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

are those seriously the same poster? ‘my daughter abandoned me because social media has taken control of her soul’ and ‘my daughter gets all huffy at me when i expose her child to a convicted sex offender’?

I think they're different posters, but everyone on that site posts in the same incoherent style, so I sometimes find it hard to tell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's with all these people drawing pictures? Especially poo poo like a stick figure wearing a sign reading "discarded grandma"?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What's with all these people drawing pictures? Especially poo poo like a stick figure wearing a sign reading "discarded grandma"?

It's so on hard rubbish day, the bin men know which grandmas to take, and which to leave.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

"They didn't draw this, but it's how they would draw me!"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Antivehicular posted:

I think they're different posters, but everyone on that site posts in the same incoherent style, so I sometimes find it hard to tell.
It's two different posters, one post from the first poster and two posts from the second. Sorry for not being clear.

She was trying to demonstrate how she feels when her children put up boundaries by saying that her son and daughter in law reacted wrong to being hurt by her. And that makes me actively hope that this counseling goes sideways.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

For sale: discarded grandma, never loved.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Ehhh what the gently caress.

I'm getting some pressure to let my Mom talk to me again after a rash of recent family deaths. I'll spare most of the details, but she's cut off for a reason, but as a tidbit me and my siblings spent most of our time locked in a room from ages 6-12, and she's since found new and interesting ways to cause us problems including encouraging suicide when any of us were depressed, false police reports and the like. I've had her completely cut off for the last 8 years or so, but family members are pressuring me to take a more conciliatory tone, allowing us to attend the same funerals and functions.

Some of the family are supportive of my decision, understanding that I'm doing what's necessary, and others think I'm a monster, including some people I do care about. I'm not really looking for advice, but it sucks and I want to make sure I can hold the line while not damaging my relationship with the other parts of the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I hate that "But she's your mother/they're family!" poo poo. These people aren't owed contact.