Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

christmas boots posted:

If it’s anything like the military the contractor probably billed them closer to $1000 for it.

Don't forget annual inspection and maintenance costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Inceltown posted:

No idea about them but they have a film called "weed the people" by Ricki Lake - yes that Ricki Lake

I need to stop wondering what happened to people I used to watch on TV, cause like 90% of the time it's just "Is a loving idiot fueling other idiots, while being paid for by a Nazi."

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Anora posted:

I need to stop wondering what happened to people I used to watch on TV, cause like 90% of the time it's just "Is a loving idiot fueling other idiots, while being paid for by a Nazi."

I've come round to that way of thinking too.
If you are really lucky, they just got fat.

Likewise I never read the twitter of anyone I really liked/respected. You're only going to be disappointed.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

The Saddest Rhino posted:

someone i vaguely knew from school actually posted it to my page and this was all i could muster before i immediately deleted it lmao

Clearly you're not on the same level of consciousness, which I imagine is somewhere in the Marianas Trench.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

someone i vaguely knew from school actually posted it to my page and this was all i could muster before i immediately deleted it lmao

Same level of consciousness is basically If you aren't as dumb as I am, please don't criticize me

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My sister and her husband shared that and I'm trying to understand their thought processes lately, as he seems to be steering her into crazier conspiracy stuff. The woman interviewed shows up as being known for anti-vax activism, and talks about how Anthony Fauci stole her AIDS research and then published it himself and sold it for profit. One of the first things she says it's that she was "arrested for going against the narrative", so that kinda let's you know exactly where she's coming from and what this thing is.

I might have the stomach one day to watch the whole thing, but boy howdy am I really just so sick of all of this.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I'm desperate to watch that video out of morbid curiosity but I obviously don't want to give them clicks (and DEFINITELY don't want it touching my facebook). Is it hosted anywhere else?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Judy Mikovits was arrested for stealing stuff from the laboratory that had fired her for falsifying results.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the thing about conspiracy theories is that they are not rational arguments, they are emotional arguments. so you have to engage with people on that emotional level, like "why do you feel like people who oppose the government are inherently telling the truth?" and things like that. you cannot engage with the facts of these arguments, when people mention things like facts and research what they are doing is appealing to you to agree with them personally and not the facts of the argument. likewise, you can't debunk the argument, you can only ridicule it (and by extension, the people who make it and agree with it)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ambitious Spider posted:

Grimes' music slaps, and I'll not hear anything to the contrary.

That said, given her recent life choices, I haven't bothered checking out her new one. I'd rather play some Charli XCX, who as far as I know isn't awful and isn't dating an evil billionaire.

Charli XCX owns and I'm excited for the quarantine album.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

luxury handset posted:

the thing about conspiracy theories is that they are not rational arguments, they are emotional arguments. so you have to engage with people on that emotional level, like "why do you feel like people who oppose the government are inherently telling the truth?" and things like that. you cannot engage with the facts of these arguments, when people mention things like facts and research what they are doing is appealing to you to agree with them personally and not the facts of the argument. likewise, you can't debunk the argument, you can only ridicule it (and by extension, the people who make it and agree with it)

If ridicule is the only path, then by God they came to the right place.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah, a colleague of mine emailed me a link to that yesterday and was asking me whether there was any sense to it. This is what I replied -

quote:

Nah, sorry, it’s standard anti-vax nonsense. You’re better off ignoring it totally. It would be nice to think that there’s a plan or a scheme out there, deciding what happens, but poo poo happens, and it keeps on happening. And it’s catnip to people who’d tie it to eugenics, Hitler and (usually) Jews.

The video is of a qualified doctor, sure, but a quick look on her Wikipedia page reveals such phrases as "Mikovits was subsequently fired over concerns about her integrity” and "Mikovits was arrested on November 18, 2011, based on allegations by the WPI that she had removed notebooks and other proprietary information from WPI.” and "Mikovits showed slides at a conference linking XMRV to Parkinson's disease, autism and multiple sclerosis. However, there is no published evidence that XMRV is associated with these diseases.”

Fearmongering nonsense – well done for checking! It can look very believable, can’t it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

luxury handset posted:

Also they're at their core arguments that the world makes sense and works according to a rational plan, even if it is an evil one, because the alternative is that the world is a chaotic, random place where you could die at any moment from an undetected brain aneurysm, and that's just on a personal level. On a societal level, conspiracy theories give a sense of purpose and order that random tragic events like mass shootings or global pandemics are actually part of some systematic plan and if we could all just figure out the plan and stop it then the world would go back to being a peaceful, orderly place and we would never have to worry about random tragedies ever again. As you say, it's an emotional argument, a coping mechanism for the unplanned, disorderly, chaotic, and dangerous state of the world. Kind of similar imo to how religious belief, especially in the existence of a pleasant afterlife, gives people comfort in the random, arbitrary nature of death.

Facts don't work on conspiracy theories because trying to expose a conspiracy using facts or reason or whatever won't change the fundamental underlying nature of the belief, which is that the world can't be a random chaotic place, because that would mean that I'm in danger at all times, and I can't cope with that on an emotional level, so I reject explanations that require me to accept that. People would rather live in an evil world that is under someone's sinister control than live in a chaotic world where bad things happen for no reason, and so they latch onto explanations that tell them that's the case.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My local police are the IOSM for thinking this is the work of neighbourhood children and not the remains of a ritual to summon the devil and Lucifer now walks among us.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

My local police are the IOSM for thinking this is the work of neighbourhood children and not the remains of a ritual to summon the devil and Lucifer now walks among us.

Ríastrad

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/parscale/status/1258388669544759296

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I hear the perpetrators were heard using an ancient chant to bring forth the apocalypse.

“NEATH! NEATH! NEATH! NEATH!”

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

GreenMetalSun posted:

The third leading cause of death in America is 'accidents/unintentional injury' of which I assume medical errors are some percentage. However if you were to split it up into individual types of accidents, falls/work-related deaths/drowning/etc., it would push everything down below the top 10 and bump 'chronic respiratory illness' up to #3.

I think she actually believes that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in America, as many conspiracy theorists do. Here's a break down of why it's stupid, complete with sources: https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/02/13/medical-errors-2019/

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

I just picture her being dragged out of a lab by police while shouting "I'm going against the narrative! "

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/deanvannguyen/status/1258412519460397057

OP is not the idiot, of course.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmfao literally demanding a cookie for having pretended to be feminist in the past

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

When you're in a poo poo-filled hole of transphobic hate that you dug yourself....keep publically making GBS threads yourself.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Moo the cow posted:

When you're in a poo poo-filled hole of transphobic hate that you dug yourself....keep publically making GBS threads yourself.

For real. Graham Linehan was one of the first people I followed on twitter as I love his work, but now this is literally the ONLY thing he tweets about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh god that's the rear end in a top hat responsible for The IT Crowd and Black Books? Yeah no wonder. Those shows were always the most mainstream of trash and their idea of what constitutes "the fringe" (e.g: those wacky nerd types). He couldn't handle actual diversity in his salad, let alone digital life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah he broke his drat mind, I'm not sure what caused it but hey.

The funny thing is, before he went all in on this issue, he was all in on the irish abortion rights issue. His wife had to have an abortion because her kid would've had the same poo poo that SA 'legend' Pastor Dans bastard child had, and that would've been a criminal offence in his native Ireland so it was a matter close to him. He was very vocally public, and was a true voice to the cause and had a lot of support. When that was over, he shifted to the anti-trans thing which most of his followers were aghast at.

It's funny that his previous cause is summarized by about one line in his wiki page, and things like Father Ted and his other writing career are summed up in a few words across his Career section. The Anti Trans poo poo covers about 8 paragraphs, and is by far the most prominent thing about him. It literally defines him as a person now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

He's even losing the other terfs at this point.

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1258357790516666368

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

mind the walrus posted:

Oh god that's the rear end in a top hat responsible for The IT Crowd and Black Books? Yeah no wonder. Those shows were always the most mainstream of trash and their idea of what constitutes "the fringe" (e.g: those wacky nerd types). He couldn't handle actual diversity in his salad, let alone digital life.

Oh dear...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Linehan’s faux-intellectual blustering oafishness reminds me of the “A SUCCULENT CHINESE MEAL” guy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mind the walrus posted:

I will not hear this vile calumny against Black Books. That was mostly done by Dylan Moran and whilst you are entitled to your dislike I disagree.

IT crowd is still poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chris Pistols posted:

For real. Graham Linehan was one of the first people I followed on twitter as I love his work, but now this is literally the ONLY thing he tweets about.

He's burned the bridge on pretty much every professional relationship he had, so it's not like he can tweet about upcoming projects.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arthur Matthews wrote all of Father Ted. This is canon now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/reiyashi/status/1258354783141928961?s=20

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hear the perpetrators were heard using an ancient chant to bring forth the apocalypse.

“NEATH! NEATH! NEATH! NEATH!”

I'm from Neath, checks out

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

It's been, like, 3 days since I last saw Star Wars, but as I recall, things don't go well for the Death Star and it isn't run by nice people.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Didn’t it turn out graham lineham was flirting w trans chicks in the reg

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pastor Dans bastard child

Holy gently caress. This takes me back.

nexus6 posted:

It's been, like, 3 days since I last saw Star Wars, but as I recall, things don't go well for the Death Star and it isn't run by nice people.

Apparently there was an actually unironic conservative think piece posted in 2002 about how the Empire were actually the good guys.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1258409144161312780

Edit:

:lol:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 19:24 on May 7, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah he broke his drat mind, I'm not sure what caused it but hey.

The funny thing is, before he went all in on this issue, he was all in on the irish abortion rights issue. His wife had to have an abortion because her kid would've had the same poo poo that SA 'legend' Pastor Dans bastard child had, and that would've been a criminal offence in his native Ireland so it was a matter close to him. He was very vocally public, and was a true voice to the cause and had a lot of support. When that was over, he shifted to the anti-trans thing which most of his followers were aghast at.

It's funny that his previous cause is summarized by about one line in his wiki page, and things like Father Ted and his other writing career are summed up in a few words across his Career section. The Anti Trans poo poo covers about 8 paragraphs, and is by far the most prominent thing about him. It literally defines him as a person now.

It's because he made it define him as a person. He did something dumb and anti-trans and got rightly called out for it, so he decided to basically drop everything in his life and dedicate 100% of his time to telling trans people they're all crazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Apparently there was an actually unironic conservative think piece posted in 2002 about how the Empire were actually the good guys.

Everytime a police department gets a new surveillance tool they nickname it SKYNET.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Edit:

:lol:

What's worse, conservatives who think that the Empire were the good guys, or conservatives who see themselves as the Rebels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

CAROL posted:

Didn’t it turn out graham lineham was flirting w trans chicks in the reg

I'd only heard that all this started with an episode of IT Crowd around that scenario, i.e. Trans Panic. Dude gets into a slapstick altercation with a woman he'd been dating, due to learning of her (former?) penis. The pushback from that made him mad, and everything since has been him refusing to learn or grow at all.