Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gleebster posted:

"I knew Tracy would let me stay. He loves putting me in positions where I can be threatened with violence by desperate criminals."

"We're up to shady business we don't want the detectives to find out. Better try to keep them around."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/6/00

Brenda Starr 8/18/40

Smokey Stover 3/17/35

"Put the squash on it and this tickle paper is yours!" is quite a turn of phrase.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

How Wonderful! posted:

Lois is ok with open relationships and I think in these strips is testing the waters by being flirtatious. The issue with Toni and Clarice for her was that it was totally one-sided-- Toni thought she was in a monogamous relationship and so there was a bond of trust being broken. Although yeah, she's also really horny and not really thinking it through in the moment, which kind of comes to a head at the end of this little arc.
That's what I meant with cheating - the breaking of a bond of trust. Obviously if the husband thinks they're exclusive then that'd be a problem, but nobody's talked about that around Lois yet.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side
rL0MU2dl.jpg
“Egad! We must find some means of discarding the hideous thing!”

I love jokes about boomerangs always coming back. :3:

Green Intern posted:

I know that a Tyrant is a Tyrant in Prince Valiant (and that we've already seen what it's like in Thule), but some part of me is imagining the world where it turns out that Sligon is actually a pretty fair and just ruler, and Val's dad was actually ousted in a popular move.

You may remember that the last time the story went to Thule, Sligon could have captured or killed Val but chose not to. That might give you an idea of the kind of person he is - now, if not when he overthrew Val's father. For all the dramatic build up, this story is really just a brief interlude.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 12, 1939)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 25, 2022

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is dedicated to knowledge.

Working Daze YES COVID WE GET IT.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is...uh...what?

Cul De Sac learns that fame is fleeting.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The pizza comic is saying that Chicago Pizza Lovers do not know what a pizza is in a hyperbolic fashion.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I love how grotesque the Pondus people are, reminds me of Basil Wolverton's work.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

The pizza comic is saying that Chicago Pizza Lovers do not know what a pizza is in a hyperbolic fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-f3WXhpqxk

I love him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a joke about Chicago deep dish pizza not being real pizza.

Majinaughey

Bogor 1976

it's the society for protection of unborn children, a UK lobby group that opposes abortion and assisted suicide

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

readingatwork posted:

I with Venture Bros was real so I could dedicate my life to arching that man.

I want to kick his rear end!

I want to build a machine to kick his rear end!

I want to build an empire to house the machine to kick his rear end!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Hey, do any of your classic comics posters know of a cache of the Ella Cinders comics? I watched the movie today and was curious to compare it to the source material but I'm not sure where to look.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ChickenOfTomorrow used to post it in this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758296&pagenumber=270&perpage=40#post464196442

I also found a modest archive available here - https://newspapercomicstripsblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/ella-cinders/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I've noticed there's an awful lot of secretly using your friends for research purposes in this strip. I'm pretty sure variations of this exact same conversation have been had several times. Now, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that's ethically shaky, at best.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh, I noticed he's sneaking out of Eino's house there.

Is it implying that he's cheating with Eino, or Eino's wife?

I doubt it would happen, but it'd be funny if after Dawn broke things off with Hugo, Jared would decide to dump Dawn.

Something that bothers me in Holbrook's comics is how many friendships and relationships are based on getting something out of the other person. The worst part is that Holbrook doesn't realize how messed up that is, and would probably think it's fine because the two became close in the end, or that the two are getting something out of it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I've noticed there's an awful lot of secretly using your friends for research purposes in this strip. I'm pretty sure variations of this exact same conversation have been had several times. Now, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that's ethically shaky, at best.

It's okay, just throw some potion to change the genetic makeup of research ethics.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Jesus, I've been posting Modesty Blaise for four years? Time flies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat I love that tyrant king in Valiant. He just looks so depressed and like he hates his job as the king.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I want to find whoever taught Holbrook what he thinks he knows about academia, and ask what made them so puckish and mean.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is the intimation here that Jimmy here is gay?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

catlord posted:

So in the real world there's this concept of Informed Consent and oversight through Investigational Review Boards. Bioethics grew in the 20th century as a response to, well, you know. Check out the Belmont Report or the Declaration of Helsinki for more.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Technowolf posted:

Is the intimation here that Jimmy here is gay?

...and possibly a pedophile.

What do you expect from your characters when you draw them like Jimmy Cagney.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

catlord posted:

I thought it was just me, I'm sure I've seen the "We got an 'A'" punchline before.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life sets new records in the art of laziness. A whole week of using only the same set of previously made panels.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's used a lot In sitcoms. There's a Simpsons episode where it's used for example.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

amigolupus posted:

No, with both of them.

...you did notice that they have a teenage daughter who will graduate next spring? The hicks should be a clear clue.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Just the worst.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you Holbrook and McEldowny and whoever copypastes Intelligent Life. Especially intelligent life guy, stay at home doesn't mean don't take showers!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dear god, all those old comics :swoon:

I'm also interested in Ella, though those other strips are also keen.

You...still shower when you're staying at home. What...what is this

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 8, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

Huh, I noticed he's sneaking out of Eino's house there.

I got the impression this Pekka is a teenager, and older brother of Atte. Whoever he was with was probably Einos daughter.

Ages can be a bit difficult to tell though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So Pastis gets complaints from newspaper readers for bad puns or morbid jokes, but McEldowney gets a dude hard from watching his wife breastfeed in a tight dress and does a restaurant handjob comic spanning multiple days and is just fine.

Funny world, this place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

sweeperbravo posted:

I've really done a complete 180 on Zelda. I was reading it earlier kind of the way some people read The Dinette Set, like out of habit but also loathing it. But since the Christmas arc I've found myself really enjoying or at least in some way moved by it.

Zelda is... while sometimes irritating, is at least cognizant of the many, many, many failures of the titular character and, unlike things like Friends or other sitcom-esque comics, doesn't regularly make them seem like the main character look like a hero. Zelda is a bad person in many ways, but is not evil - they can actually try to change (see the Xmas thing). It's what can make the comic an enjoyable read.

Onto other irritating main characters, in today's Corto Maltese: Corto feels a little out of time, or I know I of all people am in a poor position to critique other people's hairstyles, but this kid..., or I see that this Klingsor is one of those precocious-type children...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Whoa, there's a lot of neat stuff there! poo poo, I might even find something to post (still haven't found The Shadow though).

What the gently caress is that last panel. Like, I know what it is, I just wonder why the artist thought that was a good idea. It's like the Tinkersons but really bad. And the Tinkersons's strength isn't its art!

I can't believe I've warmed up to Tinkersons.

Also, throwing in another 'what the gently caress, Intelligent Life,' normal people shower even if they don't have to go out. People like you are why they have to put up signs asking you to loving at least put on deodorant at conventions.

EBB posted:

So in the real world there's this concept of Informed Consent and oversight through Investigational Review Boards. Bioethics grew in the 20th century as a response to, well, you know. Check out the Belmont Report or the Declaration of Helsinki for more.

I know, right? I'm just baffled that Holbrook apparently has no concept of the idea or, seemingly, ethics in general. It's really a running theme in all three of his comics.

Sundae posted:

So Pastis gets complaints from newspaper readers for bad puns or morbid jokes, but McEldowney gets a dude hard from watching his wife breastfeed in a tight dress and does a restaurant handjob comic spanning multiple days and is just fine.

Funny world, this place.

Was the strip as horny as it is now when he turned off comments on his strips? Because he lept right on that the moment he got a chance, and I suspect that helped drive off anyone who wasn't super into it. How many papers run 9CL now?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nenonen posted:

No, with both of them.

...you did notice that they have a teenage daughter who will graduate next spring? The hicks should be a clear clue.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got the impression this Pekka is a teenager, and older brother of Atte. Whoever he was with was probably Einos daughter.

Ages can be a bit difficult to tell though.

I actually thought Pekka was supposed to be the kid's dad because of this strip:

I parsed their conversation at the start as them going, "Hey, help me out with my homework, dad." "Why don't you let your mom help you with it, sport. I copied off her work when we were kids."

There's also this shot of their family. I thought that the guy sitting on the rocking chair was supposed to be the grandfather. And the way Pekka's lounging on the sofa, sitting right next to the mom with an arm behind her made me think he's the dad.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

catlord posted:

Was the strip as horny as it is now when he turned off comments on his strips? Because he lept right on that the moment he got a chance, and I suspect that helped drive off anyone who wasn't super into it. How many papers run 9CL now?

Google says only sixty papers run it, which is a relief though still sixty too many. The comic has been an idiotic horn-fest for as long as I can remember.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

okay, maybe you would download a car :thunk:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

I actually thought Pekka was supposed to be the kid's dad because of this strip:

I parsed their conversation at the start as them going, "Hey, help me out with my homework, dad." "Why don't you let your mom help you with it, sport. I copied off her work when we were kids."

There's also this shot of their family. I thought that the guy sitting on the rocking chair was supposed to be the grandfather. And the way Pekka's lounging on the sofa, sitting right next to the mom with an arm behind her made me think he's the dad.

You are clearly following this a lot better than I am.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

amigolupus posted:

What others posted is correct. Old man is Erkki Syrjänen, the father, and the woman is his wife, Laina Syrjänen. Pekka and Atte are their sons. Pekka is secretly seeing Eeva Lehtonen, daughter of Eino and Lempi Lehtonen. It was in a recent strip at the dances we saw them get together, with help from little Rauno Santanen who is the son of the bank manager Ensio Santanen.

Keeping track of everyone is bit of a problem in early Mämmilä, Tarmo Koivisto is clearly still figuring out his characters and we tend to jump between them from strip to strip. Other factor is the art, it will slowly change into a more caricaturized style and recognizing characters becomes easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

LazyQ posted:

What others posted is correct. Old man is Erkki Syrjänen, the father, and the woman is his wife, Laina Syrjänen. Pekka and Atte are their sons. Pekka is secretly seeing Eeva Lehtonen, daughter of Eino and Lempi Lehtonen. It was in a recent strip at the dances we saw them get together, with help from little Rauno Santanen who is the son of the bank manager Ensio Santanen.

Keeping track of everyone is bit of a problem in early Mämmilä, Tarmo Koivisto is clearly still figuring out his characters and we tend to jump between them from strip to strip. Other factor is the art, it will slowly change into a more caricaturized style and recognizing characters becomes easier.

OK so I was right. I was starting to think I was wrong :downs:

But, you are confusing me now too when you say:
"Old man is Erkki Syrjänen, the father, and the woman is his wife, Laina Syrjänen. Pekka and Atte are their sons."

Only old man I see looks to be the grandfather and grandmother and Pekka is sitting next to his mother, father is nowhere to be seen. I mean if we're talking about this strip that's how I interpreted it:

I have to say I can't remember seeing the father. I assumed she was a single mother.