Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Marcus continues to be a gigantic loving nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

He's a Theater Kid with special forces training.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

ThingOne posted:

I think you've effortlessly captured why I loathe Marcus.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
But one of the knights, Sir Marcus, never got any damsels at all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I liked Marcus when I first watched the show. Back then I was the kind of dork who'd actually say poo poo like 'm'lady', though fedoras and gross entitlement weren't in the picture.

Now I just kind of cringe at him.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i love marcus because he wasn't byron, who i think of as "pungent marcus"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Vir, ups and downs in a relationship is arguing about whether you should invite your wife's gently caress-up brother to Thanksgiving not finding out your wife murdered a hundred Narn with her bare hands.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ThingOne posted:

Vir, ups and downs in a relationship is arguing about whether you should invite your wife's gently caress-up brother to Thanksgiving not finding out your wife murdered a hundred Narn with her bare hands.

Look, she's really hot and also like super into him.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I did enjoy Vir getting dressed down like a teenager who got caught stealing from the liquor cabinet. Londo's not mad, he's just disappointed.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 8, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I think you've been spending too much time with those Minbari kids.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lindesy rules, get over it and move on.

Okay, yeah, genocidal maniac, but... Okay.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vir is probably my favorite character in the show, tbh.

Londo and Gkar are great, but Vir is far more relatable than either. He’s just a dude who wants to do a good job

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vir wants to do a good job, but he keeps putting his own ethics and sentimentality ahead of his career and family. That's not the way to get ahead in Centauri society! That's one reason he got shipped out to B5. Kid's a fuckup.

Natoth never really seemed to build that much of a niche for herself. I guess she was a pragmatic soldier as opposed to G'kar as the occasionally religious aristocrat? I don't think she ever got episodes to herself like Vir did.

Lennir I don't have much to say about. He was what he was.

Bieeanshee posted:

I liked Marcus when I first watched the show. Back then I was the kind of dork who'd actually say poo poo like 'm'lady', though fedoras and gross entitlement weren't in the picture.

Now I just kind of cringe at him.

I do wonder how much of that is just maturing onward from that phase of life and how much is the entire world moving onward after the internet came around to show dorks how big dorks they were.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Lindesy rules, get over it and move on.

Okay, yeah, genocidal maniac, but... Okay.

In Centauri culture that's like, chaotic neutral at worst. Who hasn't genocided a few hundred Narns here and there, eh?? Happens to the best of us :shrug:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ThingOne posted:

His saving grace is his scathing wit and effortless delivery by Jason Carter.

“Ok, I’ll get a bucket!”

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Natoth never really seemed to build that much of a niche for herself. I guess she was a pragmatic soldier as opposed to G'kar as the occasionally religious aristocrat? I don't think she ever got episodes to herself like Vir did.

I have a feeling that Na'toth was supposed to have a larger role, but apparently the original actress had issues with the prosthetics which caused her to have only a few appearances in season 1, and apparently JMS didn't like how the replacement actress portrayed her.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Doctor Zero posted:

His saving grace is his scathing wit and effortless delivery by Jason Carter.

“Ok, I’ll get a bucket!”

Yep, Marcus was a dork but he had his shining moments.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

hope and vaseline posted:

I have a feeling that Na'toth was supposed to have a larger role, but apparently the original actress had issues with the prosthetics which caused her to have only a few appearances in season 1, and apparently JMS didn't like how the replacement actress portrayed her.

That's exactly what happened.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

hope and vaseline posted:

Wasn't that Ko'Dath (who was only in Born to the Purple, then had an airlock accident)? Or did that happen to the first Na'Toth as well and they just madebad choices with their Narn aides and prosthetics?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Vir wants to do a good job, but he keeps putting his own ethics and sentimentality ahead of his career and family. That's not the way to get ahead in Centauri society! That's one reason he got shipped out to B5. Kid's a fuckup.

There's certainly a difference between Vir's idea of a good job and the general Centauri idea of a good job.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't that Ko'Dath (who was only in Born to the Purple, then had an airlock accident)? Or did that happen to the first Na'Toth as well and they just madebad choices with their Narn aides and prosthetics?

It was both. Mary Woronov, who played Ko'Dath, decided she didn't like the makeup and so her character was killed off between episodes. Susan Kellerman was cast as Na'Toth but she didn't like the makeup and left without ever appearing. Caitlin Brown, who'd auditioned for Delenn and Ivanova, was quickly brought in to replace her, but she left after the first season. However she did return as another character in season 2 and played Na'Toth one more time in season 5.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Zaroff posted:

There were two actresses who played Na'Toth. The original came back I think in the 4th season when G'Kar found her on Narn in a prison. It really felt like "oh you forgot about me that's cool".

I stand corrected.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Vir is probably my favorite character in the show, tbh.

Londo and Gkar are great, but Vir is far more relatable than either. He’s just a dude who wants to do a good job

Abrahamo Lincolni!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bieeanshee posted:

Abrahamo Lincolni!

:love:

During that episode they mention Vir is an earth history buff. When did they ever state that before in the series?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

:love:

During that episode they mention Vir is an earth history buff. When did they ever state that before in the series?

They should have had him wandering around the background of the Earth History exhibit in Soul Mates.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Vir is one of, like, three Centauri we ever really see that seems to have a legit conscience.

However, I think this is basically because we almost exclusively see the equivalent of Centauri royalty/ruling class. It would be like judging all humans based off of all those old, East-coast "ruling" families like the Kennedys, Roosevelts, Rockefellers, Tafts, etc... and all their descendants.

We get a small peak at the fact that plenty of regular Centauri are decent and noble. When
Londo blows up a whole loving island, he mentions that some Centauri stayed behind to keep up the illusion, and knew what was asked of them.

No Centauri we actually see, save Vir, would likely do that, so it's clear that what we see is generally the vestiges of a fading "type" of Centauri, clinging to the old ways. (hence the joke about how many Centauri it it takes to screw in a lightbulb.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are a lot of extras in the palace scenes, and definitely the story about the guard of a flower denotes that some Centauri are very, very dedicated to their jobs. You're also forgetting about Londo's old buddy from a dueling society who Refa screwed over and he ended up challenging Londo to a duel to the death that he voluntarily lost to secure his family's adoption into House Molari. Aristocracy politics get real complicated.

I'm not sure I was ever satisfied that there was some kind of definitive structure of Centauri class and houses. How many people were in House Molari beyond Londo's wives? He has a lot of relatives that become relevant here and there, but Vir has a different last name, so is he in a separate house? It sort of feels like a thing that's implied and offscreen and never fully defined and shown.

Seeing as how the Emperor had been relegated to a less political position towards the beginning of the show and the Centauri were calling themselves a republic, I wonder if there's even a whole deal where there's not exactly a lower class, just lower and lower aristocratic families with their own houses.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The guy that willingly lost to Londo is Sam Carter’s dad from SG-1. Its still weird to see him with hair.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I feel like I’m being pecked to death ... by cats.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seeing as how the Emperor had been relegated to a less political position towards the beginning of the show and the Centauri were calling themselves a republic, I wonder if there's even a whole deal where there's not exactly a lower class, just lower and lower aristocratic families with their own houses.

The Centauri Republic being based in large part on Ancient Rome, it's worth noting that Rome had a nominally functional Senate for centuries after Julius Caesar established the Empire, and the upper-class families that filled it still wielded considerable local and regional power even though their actual senatorial authority was greatly diminished. And that throughout this whole period, Rome still referred to itself formally as SPQR.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think it shows any real Roman influence though? All of the trappings of the Centauri have a kind of 17th-19th century feel to them. There's the implication that the Centaurum genuinely has the power to check the empire, not just a symbolic one that Cartagia only manages to circumvent because the conspiracy Refa was involved in had already assassinated and suppressed any possible opposition to set up a more totalitarian system, while the Emperor before him genuinely had trouble circumventing the rest of his government to make nice with the Narn. They seem much more like Britain, especially the whole dynamic of the empire decaying after the failure to suppress local dissidents, which was not how Rome's decay went. Maybe a little of France in there, since France has a much worse relation with its former colonies.

Like the regalia of the emperor is a frilly white suit with a jewel-encrusted gorget, there's nothing Roman about that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think it shows any real Roman influence though? All of the trappings of the Centauri have a kind of 17th-19th century feel to them. There's the implication that the Centaurum genuinely has the power to check the empire, not just a symbolic one that Cartagia only manages to circumvent because the conspiracy Refa was involved in had already assassinated and suppressed any possible opposition to set up a more totalitarian system, while the Emperor before him genuinely had trouble circumventing the rest of his government to make nice with the Narn. They seem much more like Britain, especially the whole dynamic of the empire decaying after the failure to suppress local dissidents, which was not how Rome's decay went. Maybe a little of France in there, since France has a much worse relation with its former colonies.

Like the regalia of the emperor is a frilly white suit with a jewel-encrusted gorget, there's nothing Roman about that.

The Centauri are actually interbellum Germany: lost in the days of Empire with dueling societies, cadet houses and talk of the good old days when they ruled the continent/galaxy (and fascism rising on the back of dolchstoßlegende, of course). The chief differences are that the Centauri didn't have two separate empires - imagine if the Holy Roman Empire had lasted unbroken until 1918 - and they didn't abolish the monarchy when the Empire fell apart.

And you're misreading the situation in your spoiler. Cartagia has apparently unlimited power because he's using it to do exactly what Refa's fascist conspiracy want him to do. If in his leisure time he wants to torture Narns or execute courtiers who look at him funny, that's fine as long as it's not them. And since the natural size of a fascist government is one, most of Refa's faction probably don't mind if the mad emperor orders one of the other members killed either. By the time Cartagia sheds any pretence of sanity and orders the burning of Centauri Prime, all that's left are the death cultists who are the real end product of fascism.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cartagia is clearly Caligula though (or at least the long held perception of him)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tsaedje posted:

Cartagia is clearly Caligula though (or at least the long held perception of him)

He's almost beat-to-beat John Hurt's Caligula in I, Claudius.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Picked up my rewatch of B5 after stopping halfway through the second season a couple of months back. Just got to "The Twilight Struggle". What an incredible WHAM of an episode, I was absolutely floored the first time I saw it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Baron von der Loon posted:

Picked up my rewatch of B5 after stopping halfway through the second season a couple of months back. Just got to "The Twilight Struggle". What an incredible WHAM of an episode, I was absolutely floored the first time I saw it.

Yes, Londo's point of no return.

Excellent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron von der Loon posted:

The Long Twilight Struggle is the best episode.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Spoiling because it looks like there's somebody a bit behind me.

After Jack the Ripper visited the station earlier I was fully ready to believe he was King Arthur, it wouldn't be the weirdest thing the Vorlons have done. It's interesting that his guilt made him cast himself in the role of Arthur when he was really whoever the first knight to strike when the sword was drawn was. Still, I can understand why he would retreat into fantasy, I can't imagine living through a near apocalyptic war knowing I fired the shot that started it regardless of who was actually to blame. On a lighter note, drunk G'kar is great and I love that the one organization to give Garibaldi a run for his money pepperoni is the Post Office.

A common thread I noticed in the last three episodes is mental illness either brought about by or exacerbated by war. You've got Seargent David taking on the personality of King Arthur to escape his survivor's guilt, Lyndisty's complete disregard for the basic humanity (narnanity?) of the Narn, and the dull-eyed psychopath the Nightwatch dug up. I doubt that last one was well even before the Earth-Minbari war but I'm also positive that torturing the Minbari with the government's approval didn't help his condition either. It's starting to look like B5 isn't a huge fan of war :thunk:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Oh goddammit it's Bester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You ever notice how much of this show is Skype calls over bad CRT monitors