Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since I'm having trouble getting briskets lately i've done a couple chuck/blade roasts.They've been coming out crumbly but pretty dry. Like I can cut the sliced portions with a spoon, but there is no moisture. Pulling them at 203f. I'm wondering if I should try pulling them a little earlier ? Or is that just how chuck roast is ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

onemanlan posted:

That's cool. Why do you want restaurant quality over consumer grade? I usually hunt for cheap charcoal deals around Memorial Day, 4th of July, & labor day sales. Even cheap charcoal can produce a decent product. Often comes down to quality of briquettes or chunks. For briquettes they may have more filler than others, but they still burn. If you hunt for decent deals & have a dry place for storage you can halve your cooking costs for a chunk of the year or so.

That brings up another point - do you have a cool dry place to store it? I stored some in what I thought was a cool dry place only to find out it wasn't. I've since mostly remedied the issue, but definitely lost a few bags to it. Oops. You can protect your charcoal by physically keeping it away from water, but eventually air moisture will start to seep in. If it gets too bad the charcoal will mold. That's the one draw back of hoarding charcoal.

Restaurant grade lumpwood is bigger so burns longer - lots of fist size chunks, or bigger.

I’ve tried briquettes, the Weber ones are pretty good but there’s still so much more ash that I thinkpure lumpwood is better IF you can get the good stuff.
Regular bags might be fine for barbecues but I don’t want to be refuelling constantly over 12+ hours.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t suppose any of you have found places to buy your meats at not-outrageous prices during COVID Times?

Look up restaurant suppliers in your area, they are often doing consumer deliveries now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

5436 posted:

I feel like my meat didn't stall, its at 182F after 7 hours. Is this normal? It's a 5.5LB pork butt. The temp has been rising pretty consistently.

Stall temp and time vary by cooking temp; as you increase the cook temp the stall will be at a hotter temp for a shorter period of time (iirc the stall disappears completely at around 325 air temp). If you had a 280 temp for a bit, you might have just powered through the stall while it was hot.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Kalman posted:

Stall temp and time vary by cooking temp; as you increase the cook temp the stall will be at a hotter temp for a shorter period of time (iirc the stall disappears completely at around 325 air temp). If you had a 280 temp for a bit, you might have just powered through the stall while it was hot.

Good to know, is there a reason to cook it lower or higher? I was 250-260 for most of the cook besides maybe 1hr at 270-280.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

jonathan posted:

Since I'm having trouble getting briskets lately i've done a couple chuck/blade roasts.They've been coming out crumbly but pretty dry. Like I can cut the sliced portions with a spoon, but there is no moisture. Pulling them at 203f. I'm wondering if I should try pulling them a little earlier ? Or is that just how chuck roast is ?

IMHO, chuck is a lot like beef ribs. You really need to let them go a loooooong time for the cellulose whatevers to break down. I smoke mine for a bit and then wrap (unless I puddle then smoke)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BJ's has had brisket in my area its usually one of the few meat and things they do have so if you have one and a membership check them out

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hasselblad posted:

IMHO, chuck is a lot like beef ribs. You really need to let them go a loooooong time for the cellulose whatevers to break down. I smoke mine for a bit and then wrap (unless I puddle then smoke)

This was a 13hr cook I believe. I can't get much lower than 225 to cook them.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
gently caress the temperature is dropping, I added some more fuel and water, then my pork butt temp dropped from 197 to 191. The smoker is getting back up to temp now to 250 but the temp is still dropping. What should I do?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

5436 posted:

Good to know, is there a reason to cook it lower or higher? I was 250-260 for most of the cook besides maybe 1hr at 270-280.

Tradition? I haven’t actually seen any reason to think that 225 is better than 275 (and a number of competition BBQers have shifted to higher temps anyway, and Aaron Franklin cooks brisket at 275, which definitely suggests it’s fine.)

At a certain point you’d have too much temperature differential from edge to center so you’d get burnt bark and raw center, plus you might not have enough time at temperature to get your collagen conversion, but I think you’re talking 350+ before you’d have any worries like that (and probably higher.)

5436 posted:

gently caress the temperature is dropping, I added some more fuel and water, then my pork butt temp dropped from 197 to 191. The smoker is getting back up to temp now to 250 but the temp is still dropping. What should I do?

Wait - let the smoker temp settle and it should continue to climb. I feel like rule #1 of this hobby is “stop loving with the meat.”

(If you’re really time crunched, you could wrap it now, or finish it in the oven at 325 or 350 if really time pressured.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 7, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just basic 3-2-1 ribs.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Restaurant grade lumpwood is bigger so burns longer - lots of fist size chunks, or bigger.

I’ve tried briquettes, the Weber ones are pretty good but there’s still so much more ash that I thinkpure lumpwood is better IF you can get the good stuff.
Regular bags might be fine for barbecues but I don’t want to be refuelling constantly over 12+ hours.

That is a fair point. One of the major struggles with lump is consistency. Even if it's from a consistent producer it might have been banged around a bunch along the way to you. There are lots of bad producers out there who put awful grades of charcoal in with a few large chunks. When you get a good one ya stick with it because the bad lump charcoal is certainly worse than briquettes. Falls through grates, burns to hot, too quick, etc.

I've found a few brand's that have been good including Western Lump that was surprisingly decent quality for the price though it had a bunch string and crap you had to pick out. The other good brand was KJ Big Block Lump, but I don't care to afford it when not on sale. Lastly Blackwood charcoal is solid, but its based out of my state so might not be widely available outside. Sadly my local restaurant depot isn't carrying beyond RO lump & awfully priced Kingsford Blue 2x18#.

Hasselblad posted:

Collagen . Cellulose is a plant carbohydrate polymer that's an insoluble fiber.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 8, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My baby butt for pulled pork. Puddled then on the grill to finish. It's this small because the other 2/3 were used for AL Pastor meat pictured below.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

5436 posted:

It's also not a sin to just finish it in an oven, especially if you want to sleep. All of the smoking happens in the first few hours anyways.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
drat that taco looks good! And I’ve oven finished more briskets than I haven’t. It makes that last part of the cook easy.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

The bark was amazing but the pork butt came out pretty dry. Only a small inside part was juicy. The bark flavor was great though but also a bit dry.

What should I do next time?

I put it on at like 260 for an hour, it rose to 270-280 for an hour, and for the rest of the time I kept it at 250-260 pretty well. It took 13 hours to cook.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I, as a mere hobbyist, were to guess, I'd say your temps were too high. The whole reasoning behind low and slow is to increase the time for the fibers to break down while attempting to decrease water egress. So it's reasonable to assume going further into that direction would help. There is a point of no return, where you're essentially taking soo long that the rate at which water escapes doesn't matter, and that it will have enough time to dry out regardless of temp. I'm guessing this is why most people don't dip below 225°F. That bark does look amazing though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

5436 posted:

The bark was amazing but the pork butt came out pretty dry. Only a small inside part was juicy. The bark flavor was great though but also a bit dry.

What should I do next time?

I put it on at like 260 for an hour, it rose to 270-280 for an hour, and for the rest of the time I kept it at 250-260 pretty well. It took 13 hours to cook.

What was the weight on the butt when you put it in, and what was the internal temp when you took it off? How long did you rest it for after, before pulling?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Doom Rooster posted:

What was the weight on the butt when you put it in, and what was the internal temp when you took it off? How long did you rest it for after, before pulling?

It was 5.5LB, I took it off at 204. It rested for like 15min.

At the 11th or 12th hour though it was 197, then I added more charcoal and water and it dropped to 188. I wrapped it and then got it to 204 before pulling.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What’s dry to you? Don’t take me wrong here: eat food how you like to eat food. But when I first made pulled pork and ribs for friends, they were used to oven or crock pot pork that is gooey wet and sloppy. All smoker pulled pork I’ve made has benefited from a sauce when I serve it.

If anything I’d say rest longer or crutch earlier, but what you described is a pretty normal smoke and normal temps.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Bob A Feet posted:

What’s dry to you? Don’t take me wrong here: eat food how you like to eat food. But when I first made pulled pork and ribs for friends, they were used to oven or crock pot pork that is gooey wet and sloppy. All smoker pulled pork I’ve made has benefited from a sauce when I serve it.

If anything I’d say rest longer or crutch earlier, but what you described is a pretty normal smoke and normal temps.

I've had pulled pork that wasn't this dry. The left side of the bone (smaller piece of meat) was exceptionally dry. The right side had some pocket of juiciness.

I think I should have wrapped at 180 and/or spritz the left side so it didn't dry out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Smoked pork butt has always been drier for me as well, crock pot pulled pork is a lot wetter. If I am not putting bbq beans under to catch the drippings I foil the butt after 4-5 hours and that helps me trap juices inside the foil that I make into a sauce.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, my guess would be temp was too high as well. I've also noticed that if I have a chunk of meat start significantly dropping in temp at any point during the cook, it's not going to come out great. Looks good for a first try, though! That's what sauce is for. :)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

5436 posted:

It was 5.5LB, I took it off at 204. It rested for like 15min.

At the 11th or 12th hour though it was 197, then I added more charcoal and water and it dropped to 188. I wrapped it and then got it to 204 before pulling.

I am not a BBQ scientist, but:

13 hours for a 5.5lb seems strangely long to me.

Collagen breakdown is affected by both temperature AND time, so with something that small, internal would have been in collagen breakdown territory for a large portion of your cook. I’d have pulled it at 200.

Also, rest an hour if you can. 15 minutes is still gonna be super hot, and steaming off much of what little moisture remained while you were pulling it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Pork butt should do just fine at 250-275, I don't think temps were an issue there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

onemanlan posted:

Collagen . Cellulose is a plant carbohydrate polymer that's an insoluble fiber.

Hey, I got the first letter right!

The nice thing about pork butt is the ability to smoke one well in advance, then cryovac. Puddling up and then tossing on a grill some time in the future. These days I make certain to get the largest I can find, then only shred what I will be using for a day or two, then cryo the rest.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 8, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I am not a BBQ scientist, but:

13 hours for a 5.5lb seems strangely long to me.

Collagen breakdown is affected by both temperature AND time, so with something that small, internal would have been in collagen breakdown territory for a large portion of your cook. I’d have pulled it at 200.

Also, rest an hour if you can. 15 minutes is still gonna be super hot, and steaming off much of what little moisture remained while you were pulling it.

2hrs per LB is the general rule..

But yeah when you smoke try and do fat up.. and remember that when you do in a smoker that fat will drip out vs crock pot where it stews in it's own fat so it's a bit juicier.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tater_salad posted:

But yeah when you smoke try and do fat up.. and remember that when you do in a smoker that fat will drip out vs crock pot where it stews in it's own fat so it's a bit juicier.

2 hours per lb is usually an upper limit when cooking at 225 (I plan on 1.5 hrs/lb); at 250-280, I’d expect significantly less cook time.

One other thought - were you using the water pan, with water in it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't water pan pulled pork it's so fatty.

@225-235 I had a pork but in for 16hrs (8lbs or so) and it wasn't even at 190 yet.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

2hrs per pound is about right at 225, but that would be 11 hours not 13, he was between 250-270 most of the cook.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Yup I think it was overcooked. I think maybe next time I'll do 240-250 and wrap at around 6-7 hours for a 5.5lb butt.

That or are my thermometers wrong?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why not shoot for 225 and see how that goes? If you're doing 13 hour cooks anyways may get you closer to what you want from the product.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Carillon posted:

Why not shoot for 225 and see how that goes? If you're doing 13 hour cooks anyways may get you closer to what you want from the product.

225 will result in a juicer pork shoulder?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

tater_salad posted:

I don't water pan pulled pork it's so fatty.

@225-235 I had a pork but in for 16hrs (8lbs or so) and it wasn't even at 190 yet.

did it come out juicy as gently caress though?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Going to blast a turkey breast soon. Pre-brined because I'm lazy and it tastes good with minimal prep. Just need to pick out a nice future pretty day to kill a few hours. Usually they're pretty quick so nothing too serious. Really just looking for an excuse to burn some stuff & ignore responsibilities under the guise of tending the smoker(see: beers).

Edit: Here are some vortex wings I did recently. Burned some pecan & apple wood chunks atop the vortex in the process. ~400*F for ~1hr give or take.

The wings are stupid easy to do.

You can find knock off vortex mods for ~$20 or less Amazon. One of the best accessory items BBQ IMO. Highly recommend.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 8, 2020

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I recently bought a Vortex to try out wings and it's so drat easy yet so amazing. I messed up one of my timers and thought I overcooked them the first time and they still turned out perfect.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

5436 posted:

That or are my thermometers wrong?

Maybe. I verify with an instapen (which I trust more than my maverick probes). When the maverick hits around 200 the instapen will read 190. At room temp, identical. Reminds me I need to order new probes before I do a brisket.

And as been said many times before...maybe you just got unlucky with one tough pig.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dango Bango posted:

I recently bought a Vortex to try out wings and it's so drat easy yet so amazing. I messed up one of my timers and thought I overcooked them the first time and they still turned out perfect.

Where did you buy that?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Where did you buy that?

Amazon. They have both the real thing (which I got) as well as knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dango Bango posted:

Amazon. They have both the real thing (which I got) as well as knockoffs.

Heh, ok, I've looked before and Amazon never had them.