Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always designate one of my first colonies as a "breadbasket," getting two food exploitations online ASAP along with the building that gives a bonus to food sharing, and fill it in with water sectors and the other building that increases pop growth when it grows big enough. When it's online and feeding my other cities, I get rid of any food production they had, and if I find they're growing too slow, I settle another breadbasket.

I haven't played much since the patch that made exploitation scale linearly instead backloading the best bonuses, but I think it still works and lets you specialize your other cities to your heart's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cities can exploit 4 sectors max, and can incorporate adjacent sectors and anything adjacent to those sectors. You can also swap sectors between cities, though I forget if you have to dismantle the exploitation to do so.

You do not have to dismantle the exploitation to do so. One of the guys I play with has a whole deal about hotswapping food sectors between cities to maximize growth

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can also swap sectors between cities
Somehow missed this until ninjewtsu replied. That is very very good to know, thanks!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a point when i should stop blindly accepting these Heroes that offer to join up?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a point when i should stop blindly accepting these Heroes that offer to join up?

If you reject one, a new one should be offered shortly. If you accept one, the next offer is going to be a long while away.

So no? I mean you might want a specific type of hero.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
There is Invasion stram starting up
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Wish there was like a beta server or early access patch for this you could download. It seems like this would be a great time to let people jump into the new content. I mean I'm not personally in lockdown but I am extremely impatient and May 26th is a long way away. I don't really want to jump back into the game and burn out in the next week before the content even arrives.

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
Can anyone explain how the food sharing mechanics actually work numbers-wise? I follow the concept and I've read the civilopedia entry*, which doesn't really say anything that is different from how I'd expect it to work based on the names of the four food sharing options, but the mechanics in game seem very unintuitive, and as far as I can tell the amount that is reported as shared or taken may as well be generated randomly (I've tried mousing over the amounts to see what's plussing and minusing, and that all makes sense - but then those numbers sometimes bear no resemblance to the total reported).

I'm typically setting up one colony as a 'breadbasket' with a sharing focussed food exploitation. I'll grow it to size 8 (to pick up an energy exploitation as well), then set it to 'Share All And Sell Excess', then have at least one colony designated to 'Take' food sharing, with the others set to 'Avoid Deficit'. The amount of food that actually gets shared (and where) seems to vary wildly (occasionally from turn to turn - in my current game going from +17 to +2). Sometimes it's as expected with the 'Taking' colony getting a fairly large boost in food income, other times the Sharing colony apparently switches to 'Scrooge Mode' whereby it shares some pitiful fraction of its food income and sells the rest (despite the 'Taking' city having minimal or static pop-growth); sometimes these breadcrumbs are distributed not only to to the 'Taking' colony but all the other colonies as well. Switching to 'Share Half' further confuses me as the amount shared often seems to be the same in both cases (but without any income from sold food).

- How is 'Excess' defined - surely there will almost always be more demand for food unless your colonies are actually pop-capped, or all set to 'Share'? I'm not talking about extreme end-game cases, mostly this is a pop 8 breadbasket (trying) to push a pop ~10ish capital or major production facility up to size 12 to net another exploitation. The 'Taking' city often has a red exclamation mark in the food section to report that it could take more, but that not enough is being added to the global pool. This implies there is a limit on how much food a colony can take but I can't work out where that is reported or how it is derived. The presence or absence of this red mark doesn't seem to correlate with whether the 'Sharing' colony is behaving as expected or has switched to Scrooge Mode.

- Is food sharing affected by negative happiness?

- Is food sharing affected by negative energy income? (will more food be sold to try to reach energy income parity?)

- Is food sharing affected by the Decadence perk? (i.e. do you get taxed twice - once when collecting the food in the breadbasket and again when sharing to the receiver colony - I don't *think* so but that might partially explain some of the discrepancies.

*the entry might be incomplete; it says 'There are 4 options for Food Sharing in a colony:' and then only describes the first 3 - it says nothing about the 'Take' option, which I suspect might be where some key nuances lie.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
IIRC, a city can, at maximum, produce or take enough food to grow 1 pop/turn. If all your cities have received enough food to grow, the rest is "excess". That may be what's causing the seeming randomness.

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007

my dad posted:

IIRC, a city can, at maximum, produce or take enough food to grow 1 pop/turn. If all your cities have received enough food to grow, the rest is "excess". That may be what's causing the seeming randomness.

That does partially explain things.

From my current game:

End of turn 31:
My capital is size 10, set to Take. It is receiving 33 food from the global pool. Income shows as 31 food. It is on 132/165 food till size 11.
My second colony is size 8, set to Share All and Sell Excess. It is sharing 37 food, which works out at 33 food added to the pool after 10% tax (level 5 Ag Export). It has 38 food income if sharing is turned off.
My third colony is size 5, set to Prevent Deficit. It is receiving no food. Income shows as 8 food. It is on 20/79 food till size 6.
A fourth colony is in the process of founding.

Time to growth of capital is 2 turns.

I hit End Turn.

Start of Turn 32:
My capital is size 10, set to Take. It is receiving 2 food from the global pool. Income shows as 0 food. It is on 163/165 food till size 11.
My second colony is size 8, set to Share All and Sell Excess. It is sharing 3 food, which works out at 2 food added to the pool after 10% tax (level 5 Ag Export).
My third colony is size 5, set to Prevent Deficit. It is receiving no food. Income shows as 8 food. It is on 28/79 food till size 6.
My fourth colony is size 1, set to Prevent Deficit. It is receiving no food. Income shows as 20 food. It is on 20/43 food till size 2.

Time to growth of capital is now Infinite turns. (and just to be sure it's not a UI rounding issue, I try advancing the turn again and confirm that the capital has not grown).

Back to turn 32 - I now try setting set my third city to Take.

My energy Income drops from +30 to +12 (so 36 food is no longer being sold, at 1 energy per 2 food)

My capital is now receiving 4 food from the global pool. Income shows as 2 food.
My second colony is now sharing 38 food, which works out at 34 food added to the pool after 10% tax..
My third colony is receiving 30 food and has the red exclamation mark to say it could receive more. Income shows as 38 food.

Time to growth of capital is now 1 turn.

So it looks like the cap on food per turn is partially responsible (bit weird for it to count food already banked towards the cap though, that's going to make these scenarios of only being able to take a couple of food happen all the time).

I think the remaining weirdness looks like it might be explained by rounding inconsistencies. I tend to notice issues early in the game and when dealing with smaller numbers, which would make sense if there's some integer rounding oddity. I'm actually pretty happy with city micro in this game; I think it works fairly well, but if I'm going to have to check the numbers on food sharing every turn to make sure cities have not growth stalled because of rounding errors that's a step too far!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I asked my buddy if he can help with explaining food sharing and he gave me this

quote:

So basically:
- The food sharing options share either half or all of the food the city has access to
- Shared food is added to the global pool. BEFORE adding to the pool, the Food Sharing Tax is deducted. This tax is 50% (I think?) by default. The export center food spec decreases it. That food is lost to the void
- Cities set to take food will draw UP TO the amount of food required to grow to the next pop level per turn. No tax is applied to food intake.
- IF there is insufficient food in the global pool to accommodate all cities set to take, divide it evenly among all cities. If this divided portion exceeds any city's max intake, split the rest among the remaining cities. Recurse until no food remains.

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks - that all makes sense and I follow the logic. By that reasoning though, in the example above my capital should have been drawing 4 food at the start of turn 32 (the amount needed to grow) but either there is a rounding bug or the amount needed does not account for negative local income. But if the latter - why does it then start accounting for it after I add another receiving colony?

2 is the maximum the capital should draw to fill the remaining pop bucket; it has -2 base food income, so it should draw either 4 food (accounting for -2 income) or 2 food (not accounting, a really weird decision if so), but the amount drawn shouldn't increase from 2 to 4 if I add another receiving colony!

trypsin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 4, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

I'm sorry I didn't read the full example before; I just provided a rough rundown of the system. There was an old bug which I personally had tracked down, reported, and seen fixed, which caused city upkeep not to be taken into account when importing food.

You seem to have encountered the same bug. When I first encountered it, setting another city to take would not have resolved the problem though; instead both cities would suffer from it, if applicable.

Anyways, definitely a bug. If you have the time, I'm sure they would appreciate a report on the forums.

He also gave me this link for the original bug report he made. He tells me it's a good read functional link, but the paradox forums are making GBS threads themselves right now and I can't actually view it myself lmao

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru.../#post-25737982

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 4, 2020

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks! I'll submit a bug report :)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Just picked this up following the 3MA podcast on it. If EUIV is a refined war simulator where you and your opponent sip brandy and craft elegant bon mots as a means of conflict, this is a dirty playground brawl where you spend all your time trying to put your fist into your opponent's face.

It's vicious, brutal, and I love it.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Made another video, apparently it takes me 20 minutes longer to describe exactly how and why the race kinda sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuC0OBUAfHM

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

orange spends 2 hours talking about how cool it is that i've been playing with a handicap since the game launched lol

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What handicap is that? (Sorry orange a 2 hour video is way too long for me to watch)

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Mzbundifund posted:

What handicap is that? (Sorry orange a 2 hour video is way too long for me to watch)

They're generally not very good compared to others.
e: main problem being weak early game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Their mods are terrible and their only particularly good unit is the vorpal sniper (scavenger gets the "not terrible" honorable mention), this remains true all the way until you get reassembly/the disassembler

I haven't seen the whole video yet (chipping away at it orange!) But the st unit racial variants that assembly gets aren't really that good either

The end summary is "in a vacuum a lot of this stuff is more or less ok but it's really really hard to actually fit several of these things together into a practical build"

I do disagree with orange in some areas though. Modding out scavengers does require an eye for cost efficiency over anything else but that doesnt mean it's not worthwhile to throw 3 cheap t1 mods on them. The trouble is finding 3 good t1 mods you can throw on them. Your options are generally "your st t1 mod" and "flesh tearers if you're fighting amazon or kirko" and that's about it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe that's true in ultrafast 1v1 pvp matches but I haven't had any problems with them in campaign or scenario, nor have I seen the assembly AI do badly. I'll actually decline to build vorpal snipers just because a 2 turn concuss at range 9 is just an order of magnitude stronger than any other status effect in the game at that point and it makes every battle the same.

I haven't played them with every secret tech to comment on their racial variants, but I know they frequently get assimilate on their melee ones which is pretty nuts for voidtech and celestian.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was wondering why this got no replies:

Splicer posted:

Is there a trick to xeno plague/assembly to get my assembly stuff to work on my xeno stuff?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"trick"? Not sure what you mean. Xenoplague units are compatible with any of the assembly mods in the appropriate categories. They can all benefit from the flesh rippers implant, pustules and destroyers get access to the mods for light units, plague lords get access to the mods for heavy units. A couple assembly mods are for cyborgs or mechanicals only, so yeah xenoplague's biological units can't use those, but basically any secret tech is going to have some non-racial mod applicability.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mzbundifund posted:

"trick"? Not sure what you mean. Xenoplague units are compatible with any of the assembly mods in the appropriate categories. They can all benefit from the flesh rippers implant, pustules and destroyers get access to the mods for light units, plague lords get access to the mods for heavy units. A couple assembly mods are for cyborgs or mechanicals only, so yeah xenoplague's biological units can't use those, but basically any secret tech is going to have some non-racial mod applicability.
I mean how a bunch of the assembly stuff, especially healing stuff, only applies to cyborgs and mechanical units. Xenoplague comes with a few mods to make units count as xenoplague units so I was wondering if I'd missed a way to turn xeno plague units into cyborgs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh I see, no you can't change unit types, probably to prevent issues like installing biological-only mods onto a guy that you then install a "turn into a cyborg" mod onto.

Pretty sure the only cyborg-only mods that assembly has are the corpse reprocessor and the regeneration one, but if it's healing you want, Xenoplague itself gets a healing spore mod that works on biologicals, cyborgs, AND mechanicals, and is extremely strong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh I see, no you can't change unit types, probably to prevent issues like installing biological-only mods onto a guy that you then install a "turn into a cyborg" mod onto.

Pretty sure the only cyborg-only mods that assembly has are the corpse reprocessor and the regeneration one, but if it's healing you want, Xenoplague itself gets a healing spore mod that works on biologicals, cyborgs, AND mechanicals, and is extremely strong.
The Reverse Engineer can only resurrect or heal mechanical or cyborg units, and some of the hero abilities, including I think the heal per turn leader ability, also only affect cyborg or mechanical units. Mods and tactical operations I'm not hugely pushed about since you can end up with so many but the hero and unit abilities seem to make them an especially bad matchup and I was wondering if I was missing something.

Also the game already has situations like you described, where you equip a hero with mods that apply to weapons and then you remove the weapon. The mods just turn off.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 8, 2020

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Flesh Tearers work on Xeno units too.

Mzbundifund posted:

Maybe that's true in ultrafast 1v1 pvp matches but I haven't had any problems with them in campaign or scenario, nor have I seen the assembly AI do badly. I'll actually decline to build vorpal snipers just because a 2 turn concuss at range 9 is just an order of magnitude stronger than any other status effect in the game at that point and it makes every battle the same.

I haven't played them with every secret tech to comment on their racial variants, but I know they frequently get assimilate on their melee ones which is pretty nuts for voidtech and celestian.

Most things work OK in single-player. I actually think the main Assembly plan (scavs + vorpals) is quite competitive; where they struggle is that they don't have the breadth of strategies that are available to everyone else. As ninjew is fond of saying, their early mods are pretty bad (or at least very situational), and ditto for the Arc weapons tree. Their economy is OK - extra tech is super good! - but it takes time to ramp up. Their starting bonuses do nothing for you for at least 10-15 turns.

I don't mind their secret tech variants either, as you said assimilate is just good (better than Frenzy, although Swarm Shield is way better than the general Assembly package). They aren't exactly game-changers but they'er solid enough. I don't know if I'd agree that going Assembly is being "handicapped" exactly, but strategically it's hard when your primary option is always to play to the late game. You have one plan, which in a vacuum is a pretty good plan - the issue is that you only have the one plan. Looking at, say, Vanguard you can immediately come up with viable strategies surrounding Troopers, or Assault Bikes, or even Engineers. Assembly? You can't really build around Reverse Engineers, the mod support for Electrocutioners just isn't there (yet, I have hopes with the upcoming patch), and Inspectors are probably the worst scout to try a super aggressive rush with. Scavs are OK in their primary role at screening, but their damage is just a bit too anemic to build around. They really are forced to focus on Vorpals and/or their secret tech.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Assimilate on lightbringers and echo walkers is actually pretty poor value compared to what most other races get, and the reconstruct the soul tag that assembly psynumbra units get is just redundant with the first psynumbra doctrine.

We did some hardcore number crunching on ocular implants and found that +10% crit equates to +5% damage and what we'll generously call ~5% accuracy (the math on this gets dumb). So a mod that essentially reads "get +5% damage +5% accuracy and +1 armor" is more or less the lowest value mod in the game. Flesh tearers is a really good mod but only in specific (and increasingly uncommon as the game progresses) matchups, the corpse processor mod is ok value because of the 2 armor but realistically you're never going to actually use that heal, and camo implants rounds things out with "the defensive benefits are alright but overcosted, so the real value comes from universal camouflage which is fine but also really crummy when this is doubling as the best t1 or t2 racial mod you have access to for in combat applications." Neurotoxin implants is a really bizarre "ok what if flesh tearers again but with all the same problems that limit its use" and comes packaged in a tech with the mod that can only be applied to the penultimate assembly unit and even then is of questionable value.

Electrocutioners are made out of paper (they are less tanky than transcendents and equally as tanky as most support units), but their damage is high enough that you might be tricked into using them anyway (it doesn't work out I've tried a bunch of times). Reverse engineers are a fine unit on paper but a lot of their value comes from the construct being able to inherit mods and all your mods are trash, so. Lightning riders are an ok unit to have 1 of but the more of them you have the less value they are (because they friendly fire each other) so you can't really have an effective roving band of them harassing enemy units or rapidly clearing the map, which is fine as a site defender or a militia but as a unit you have to pay for they're a sidegrade to ground troops that you're paying an additional 10 cosmite premium for (their mobility now useless because they have to tag along with ground forces to do anything)

A really really big thing though is that assembly gets absolutely curbstomped by psi damage. All of your units exclusively have armor and all of your mods exclusively have armor (reassembly gives hp and the endcap mod I think gives 2 shields and that's where your ability to fight psi begins and ends. Notice that these are both endgame mods), so both syndicate and kirko get easy wins against you. Several of your best racial mods (which even in their niche aren't higher value than the broad use mods other races get, they're just "on par") are vs bio only so mech races like vanguard and dvar are at a pretty hefty advantage against you too. Which leaves amazons as the only race you can really expect to fight on an even playing field, except amazons have been getting buffed every patch and are honestly one of the stronger races in the game in general so that matchup ends up being really rough too. But hey, at least all your toys function against them, so it doesn't feel as terrible to fight them, even if you're still going to lose.

I moved on from being an "assembly main" to being an "I play every race" guy and the difference is night and day, assembly has to fight crazy hard just to get on par with what other races have without trying. Battlefield autopsies helps you make that fight but at the end of the day you're struggling with problems that other races just don't have to deal with without anything really compensating for it.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Splicer posted:

I mean how a bunch of the assembly stuff, especially healing stuff, only applies to cyborgs and mechanical units. Xenoplague comes with a few mods to make units count as xenoplague units so I was wondering if I'd missed a way to turn xeno plague units into cyborgs.

Xenoplague doesn't really need mod support in my experience. I tend to look at it as all or nothing. Either it's just a crutch for my early game with a couple of free units letting me dedicate my economy to teching up for my main plan or it's all-in rush where I put everything into it to get to T3 as fast as I reasonably can. When T3 with regen start appearing in the field it doesn't really matter what kind of mods there are. And Assembly in particular have crazy good science game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ugusername posted:

Xenoplague doesn't really need mod support in my experience. I tend to look at it as all or nothing. Either it's just a crutch for my early game with a couple of free units letting me dedicate my economy to teching up for my main plan or it's all-in rush where I put everything into it to get to T3 as fast as I reasonably can. When T3 with regen start appearing in the field it doesn't really matter what kind of mods there are. And Assembly in particular have crazy good science game.
This must be bad phrasing on my part because you're the second person to misunderstand: I'm not upset that there's no mods to put on my xenoplague units (and this is blatantly untrue anyway, there's loads), I'm bothered that my assembly healers and a bunch of my hero skills don't work on my xenoplague units.

And bothered isn't even the right word, I was just wondering if I'd missed some straightforward way to mitigate their apparent below average synergy and it looks like the answer is no, I didn't.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 9, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dvar have it even worse. They're an almost exclusively mechanical race who doesn't get any way to heal their own machines until tier 3. I have a hard time not going promethean with them just because the tier 1 promethean healing mod fills such a gap.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Syndicate are quickly becoming my favorite faction if only because of all their ways to give units extra actions, playing Syndicate/Heritor for my first "real" game and its going pretty well

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Syndicate are pretty cool, yeah. Don't sleep on Guild Assassins, they hit *really* loving hard and are excellent targets for Siphoner resets. Enforcers are a bit harder to use because they're melee, and Syndicate doesn't have a lot of defense mods - but they can deal even more damage than GAs can.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

syndicate also gets some pretty cool ST variants. not for every ST, mind you, but syndie hackers are arguably the best hackers, and syndie psynumbra poo poo is pretty indisputably the best psynumbra poo poo. syndie prom is a fun exercise in troop logistics too lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

World Events dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-61-world-events.1389687/

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's a Paradox sale on Steam right now and the Revelations expansion is 50% off, $7. Worth picking up?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
Stop thinking about it, and just buy it. This is one of those rare times when that's the correct play.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
https://twitter.com/APlanetfall/status/1260600691975835648?s=20

This is probably going to be worth watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Still loling that they made the "furry race" literal in-setting furries