Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/cspanJeremy/status/1258076164234579969
the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia, literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of a different facial recognition thing but I could have swore I remember hearing about something similar about a year ago and it turned out that they had trained it using mugshots for the criminals and what the big fancy computer had learned was really just whether a picture is a mugshot or not.

Well, you know, bad people just look a certain way. It's subtle, but with enough mugshots of african american males, we can train the highly selective computer algorithm to detect these criminals before they have a chance to strike!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just look at their income for last year duh, if it's low they are a criminal

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

that article is gone too but archive.org has our back: https://web.archive.org/web/20200506130947/https://harrisburgu.edu/hu-facial-recognition-software-identifies-potential-criminals/

Doesn't mention how they proved it had 0 racial bias. I'm sure it was rigorous. This is of course pre-print PR so no, the real scientific article isn't available to compare with the press release.

So it's just phrenology. Again

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Delta-Wye posted:

Well, you know, bad people just look a certain way. It's subtle, but with enough mugshots of african american males, we can train the highly selective computer algorithm to detect these criminals before they have a chance to strike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wikl6tJEPh0

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Broke: phrenology
Woke: With 80 percent accuracy and with no racial bias, the software can predict if someone is a criminal based solely on a picture of their face. The software is intended to help law enforcement prevent crime.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

of course actual woke would be trying to understand why the way someone looks has an 80% correlation with being convicted of a crime

the answer is pretty obvious

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now we are automating racism smdh just think of all these poor all American raicsts who will lose their jobs because of this

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Delta-Wye posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DT3tQqgRM

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Now we are automating racism smdh just think of all these poor all American raicsts who will lose their jobs because of this

Got laid off at the racism factory.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dont worry since one of the researchers is former nypd im sure they're not going to immediately commercialize it and sell it using secret contracts

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Class Warcraft posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of a different facial recognition thing but I could have swore I remember hearing about something similar about a year ago and it turned out that they had trained it using mugshots for the criminals and what the big fancy computer had learned was really just whether a picture is a mugshot or not.

quote:

remember that chinese ml phrenology study?

their criminal dataset came from mugshots and their non criminal set came from white collar promotional headshots

"the authors find that their algorithm can classify criminal faces with 90% accuracy … algorithm finds that criminals have shorter distances between the inner corners of the eyes, smaller angles between the nose and the corners of the mouth and higher curvature to the upper lip"

they built a smile detector

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I imagine perspective plays a large role in facial analysis and a camera 2 feet away is going to show a very different face from a camera 10 feet away

I wonder if mugshots vs headshots has that bias too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Can't wait for the hire more women guards moment

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

As President I will ensure every American man, woman and child can be guaranteed a job at the racism factory.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Colonel Cancer posted:

its a hard kkknock life

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Class Warcraft posted:

This happens all the time with AI. A program that was supposed to diagnose skin cancer ended up concluding that if a growth is photographed next to a ruler, it's cancerous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chamale posted:

This happens all the time with AI. A program that was supposed to diagnose skin cancer ended up concluding that if a growth is photographed next to a ruler, it's cancerous.

Huh. You might be onto something

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

:thurman:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:five:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

:drat:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

who is the kung fu lady in the middle?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A joke killer and a rude one at that

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

:vince:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Milo and POTUS posted:

:golfclap:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

:wow:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Milo and POTUS posted:

:holymoley:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

:perfect:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

shazam

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/markgongloff/status/1258771456617521156
Huh, looks like this computer is saying let all the poors die. Oh well, sucks for them I guess. Can't argue with a computer :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Huh, looks like this computer is saying let all the poors die. Oh well, sucks for them I guess. Can't argue with a computer :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

due to an undetected software error, somehow the fema algorithm decided white people worth 10 dead black people -- insincere government apology circa 10 years from now probably

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

This trend of politicians and media giving agency to software as a way to transfer risk of being called a racist sure is something.

*Writes down on sheet of paper: Arrest more black people*

"Come on guys the paper said it not me"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Koishi Komeiji posted:

In fairness, if the inevitable result of The Algorithm is putting our dystopia in Logan's Run mode, it might be worth it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blockade posted:

This trend of politicians and media giving agency to software as a way to transfer risk of being called a racist sure is something.

*Writes down on sheet of paper: Arrest more black people*

"Come on guys the paper said it not me"

This is 100% how welfare approval/denial works now

"Sorry, you're just not eligible for benefits. Computer said so, I don't know why"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Thanatosian posted:

In fairness, if the inevitable result of The Algorithm is putting our dystopia in Logan's Run mode, it might be worth it.

it's gonna start with the 30 year olds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Peanut President posted:

it's gonna start with the 30 year olds

Thank. God.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1258797162684653568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Koishi Komeiji posted:

At least they aren't HUSSEIN OBUMMER-run death camps, right?