Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

For a one-time use application, I went with a straight crosshair laser from bangood: https://www.banggood.com/HANMATEK-L...ur_warehouse=CN

Got 2 of them for like $12 each with some kind of sale. One worked once, the other seems to be chooching along fine. I used them for some framing, and then to align a 18' run of cabinet hardware that HAD to be dead-nuts on. Worked great.

I have a ~10 year old Black & Decker amateur one which is a glorified laser pointer, a pendulum and some prisms. Served me well, but it only kinda does two lines on a wall, not really on the floor (or ceiling.)

The good Bosch ones are expensive but I got a bit of surprise cash coming in and a tool pusher locally that has it in stock. Hmmm...

bolind fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bolind posted:

I have a ~10 year old Black & Decker amateur one which is a glorified laser pointer, a pendulum and some prisms. Served me well, but it only kinda does two lines on a wall, not really on the floor (or ceiling.)

The good Bosch ones are expensive but I got a bit of surprise cash coming in and a tool pushed locally that has it in stock. Hmmm...

Then there's really only one choice. Looking forward to some pics of 3D laser crosshair.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Comparing these two compressors, they look very similar in all respects except the Rolair is rated for continuous duty and the Makita for 50%. Is there likely any actual difference in reliability between the two, or is Makita just likely more cautious with their ratings? I was recommended the Rolair as suitable for a certain application, but current restrictions are making sourcing it pretty hard, while the Makita is widely available.

https://www.rolair.com/products/air-compressors/hand-carry/vt25big
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC5200

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm a huge Makita fan and my friend has that Makita compressor. It is great for a job site where noise is less of a concern. If this is for home use, I highly recommend you check out California Air Tools if available. Their compressors are just simply the quietest thing I've ever heard outside of my 1960's Champion. I've talked a half dozen people into them and everyone loves theirs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got my Wiha screwdrivers and these things rule.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I was going to say tomorrow's grinder day ... but it's after midnight. Today is grinder day.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BraveUlysses posted:

you should be able to find them on craigslist, $10/ah seems to be about the going rate

other than that, you can watch this thread for deals:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379615

IOwnCalculus posted:

The newer 21700 cell packs are a lot cheaper than the old 18650 cell packs of similar capacity, especially if you're looking above the compact level.

The Door Frame posted:

If you can wait a little longer, Milwaukee is supposed to roll out its worthwhile deals soon. Right now the 2 battery packs I see on the shelves are ~$130 for 2 3Ah or a 3Ah/5Ah pack for ~$170 IIRC, but they usually start running a 3Ah/5Ah pack or 2 5Ah pack with a free tool by mid May/early June for $150-$170. Usually the tool deals get better closer to Father's Day too

I’ll keep an eye out, No rush here. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do we still like the US General boxes from HF? Any input on this smaller model?

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-drawer-black-mechanics-cart-64030.html

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got one last summer and it hasn't fallen apart yet. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I kind of want to totally revamp my garage and really, I don't need the enormous box I have. Everything I actually use will either fit in that box or hang on the pegboard.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Not sure about the price differences or quality differences but HF has a 20% off icon coupon right now, which is normally not eligible for the percent off. Those are their higher end toolboxes

Hfqpdb.com had the coupon on the front page

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

taqueso posted:

Not sure about the price differences or quality differences but HF has a 20% off icon coupon right now, which is normally not eligible for the percent off. Those are their higher end toolboxes

Hfqpdb.com had the coupon on the front page

The small Icon box is $2160 after that coupon. I think the $200 option is more what I'm looking for.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Holy crap, nevermind. There's no way any toolbox from HF could be 10x better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, the ICON stuff is just way too expensive for Harbor Freight.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I had that cart and it's fine (as in, built very well for the price) but unless you really need the hot cart action, get the 26" bottom box instead. Way way more storage and easier to organize with the short drawers at the top. The open shelf on the bottom of the cart is just a crap catcher, same with the top (which is extra annoying when you need to get to what you have stored in the top). End result with the cart is you effectively have this fairly large object that is just.. 5 small drawers.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 8, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the older 44" model and the upper add on. And you say crap catcher, that's what this enormous thing has been. It's overflowing with junk that I just don't use or need but since I have this space I haven't gotten rid of any of it. The 26" model is what I first considered and I might still go that route.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, with tool storage, more small drawers is better than fewer big ones, every time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the 26 inch with the top add on for five years with no issue.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got the newer 44", but also I like the 26" so much that I have one in my apartment :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have the 26" US General as well, and it's amazing. Had my heart set on the 44", turns out I definitely didn't need the 44 with the tools I have. The quality of the 26 is the same as the 44, so if you don't need the tool space there's not much reason to get the 44.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a 44" Craftsman box and top cab. And a 68" Snap-on box. And a Chevy van with a bunch of shelves. And a shipping container...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Speaking of the 26" HF box, dumb question but is it going to be a pain to pick up from HF right now? Usually I'd just bring a friend with me but that's a bit more complicated right now, and my wife is actually pretty strong but she's due in under 2 months so that's out of the question. The HF website says it weighs 175lbs so I should be able to get it in the car ok by myself, but I saw it comes in a box and that can be a lot harder to manipulate than it would sound by the weight alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

Speaking of the 26" HF box, dumb question but is it going to be a pain to pick up from HF right now? Usually I'd just bring a friend with me but that's a bit more complicated right now, and my wife is actually pretty strong but she's due in under 2 months so that's out of the question. The HF website says it weighs 175lbs so I should be able to get it in the car ok by myself, but I saw it comes in a box and that can be a lot harder to manipulate than it would sound by the weight alone.

If you ask i'm sure an employee will help you. They're super nice at my local store.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhyno posted:

If you ask i'm sure an employee will help you. They're super nice at my local store.

My local just have me bring the truck up front and they throw it in the back. With those toolboxes when it is just me I break the box down in the bed of the truck and take it out that way rather than try to lift the whole thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Drawers on those removal? That would save some poundage.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They came in a box for me. You'd have to open it but yea drawers are removable.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Late to the discussion, but I'm still tempted by the cart. It does have slots for storing tools vertically (screwdrivers, et cetera, which roll around otherwise). I've got a good amount of pegboard in my garage, so I don't need it to store everything, just what I need for weekend warrior repair jobs. I've got a cart like the 26" one but with 6 drawers currently that I'd move to my basement. Anyway, there's a coupon to get it for $189 too: https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/30%22%2C+5+DRAWER+MECHANIC%27S+CARTS+%28ALL+COLORS%29

I guess I'll give it some thought and let you all know next time the question comes up.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I need some heavy duty shelves for my garage. Preferably 6 ft tall, 1-1/2 ft wide. I don't really want to DIY them because I'm lazy (remodeling takes it out of you) and will probably never get it done if I have to build it myself, but I think I can psychologically program myself to assemble some shelving units if they are delivered.

Preferably not plastic, need to hold transmissions and transfer cases without falling over. Any suggestions?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Mustache Ride posted:

I need some heavy duty shelves for my garage. Preferably 6 ft tall, 1-1/2 ft wide. I don't really want to DIY them because I'm lazy (remodeling takes it out of you) and will probably never get it done if I have to build it myself, but I think I can psychologically program myself to assemble some shelving units if they are delivered.

Preferably not plastic, need to hold transmissions and transfer cases without falling over. Any suggestions?

I have a set of these and really like them, they (or the equivalent from lowes) go on sale a few times a year. They are 2 feet deep though:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-72-in-H-x-77-in-W-x-24-in-D-4-Shelf-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-GARS774XEG/206727800

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a version of those, and the wire kind as well, except I bought all of them at Costco. That style is easier to put together IMO since the wire ones depend on these obnoxious little plastic sleeves lining up. It's way too easy to get a shelf crooked on the wire ones.

Once they're assembled, no complaints about either, aside from the fact that my garage barely has room for them all.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oh maybe Sams has some cheaper. Thanks guys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mustache Ride posted:

I know you said you don't want to diy, but my standard for storage/shop shelves is to use 3/4 ply 4x8s cut in half lengthwise, 2x4s for framing, and Simpson strongtie RTC2Z brackets to hook the shelves to the posts. Should take around an hour to build each 2ft deep, 4 or 6ft wide, 6ft tall shelf unit once you get into the swing of things. If you want it faster but don't mind it being less earthquake proof you can just build platforms and use cement blocks between levels instead of corner brackets and posts.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TacoHavoc posted:

I have a set of these and really like them, they (or the equivalent from lowes) go on sale a few times a year. They are 2 feet deep though:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-72-in-H-x-77-in-W-x-24-in-D-4-Shelf-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-GARS774XEG/206727800

I bought 3 of these when sears had them for 99 bucks each, I wish I had bought 20. These seem like they will last forever. Let the hoarding continue forever! Think of all the money I save not needing trash service.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

nitsuga posted:

Late to the discussion, but I'm still tempted by the cart. It does have slots for storing tools vertically (screwdrivers, et cetera, which roll around otherwise). I've got a good amount of pegboard in my garage, so I don't need it to store everything, just what I need for weekend warrior repair jobs. I've got a cart like the 26" one but with 6 drawers currently that I'd move to my basement. Anyway, there's a coupon to get it for $189 too: https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/30%22%2C+5+DRAWER+MECHANIC%27S+CARTS+%28ALL+COLORS%29

I guess I'll give it some thought and let you all know next time the question comes up.

I think whether this suits you comes down to "how are you with flat surfaces?" If you habitually cover every flat surface with junk they're a terrible idea, if you have discipline to tidy up every time it's probably fine.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think whether this suits you comes down to "how are you with flat surfaces?" If you habitually cover every flat surface with junk they're a terrible idea, if you have discipline to tidy up every time it's probably fine.

Sounds about right to me. Not the world's tidiest person, but I definitely make a point to clean up after car work. I've only got one spot in my garage, so I try to keep it clean enough to park in at least.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The best carts for the organizationally challenged are the slide-top style. when i worked in a shop there was an informal pool to see which one had junk piled the highest at the end of the day.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Welp last two bolts to get the rear suspension out of the Grand Prix are rusted in place and there is no room to grind, cut or chisel so bought a plasma cutter on amazon to get them out and hopefully used for other stuff :v: next weeks episode BigPaddy goes to ER with 3rd degree burns... again.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Wear gloves :p

Quick notes on the DeWalt DW758 8" Bench Grinder:

It's a bench grinder. $130 shipped at Northern Tool. I saw it cheaper at a store online I've never heard of. I wanted/needed the product, so I bought it at Northern as they were the cheapest of the "this is a place that exists."
It got here in two days as it shipped from a state away right at the border. Neat!
The wheels are balanced at speed and there is no wobble until it gets to a brief point during spindown.
The right tool rest was a bit narrow to accommodate the wheel. I gave it a lil nudge to get it to self clearance since it's made of aluminum. Problem solved!
There were no other fitment issues, and otherwise entirely works as expected.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I was on eBay looking at vintage precision measurement tools again (help, I have a problem), when I came across this old Starrett micrometer and pulled the trigger:

The listing said they mechanically worked fine. I figured at the cost I really couldn't go wrong and I could probably clean them up a bit.
Shortly after buying them the seller contacted me saying while they had worked fine before, they tried loosening a screw on them and it broke but they had another nicer Starrett micrometer they would send me instead if that was OK. I figured for $11 I still couldn't go wrong but kept my expectations in check.

I feel like I hit the jackpot on what I received:

They work great and appear to be accurate (maybe I should hunt for some vintage gauge blocks to really verify........).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I work in a calibration lab. We calibrate vintage tools every day. A few of our tools and standards are considered vintage as well. The older tools were often made with the time and a level of care that hardly exists today. But like any tool - if you take care of it, it will last a very long time.