Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, it’s too bad. I don’t really think that small phones are as wildly unpopular as posters in this thread claim. The old iPhone SE sold pretty well I thought. They aren’t the most popular, but I thought they had a niche.

It is traditionally Very Apple to insist that there is only one Right Design and it is the Apple Design, but in this case this kind of Apple-y reasoning is being applied to a product design which has annoying drawbacks, IMO. (Also, it is being used for a type of design where Apple blatantly copied Android.)

Traditionally Apple was very good about this kind of thing. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave if he saw that Apple was exclusively selling phones where many people deem it necessary to buy gaudy glue on plastic knobs to attach to the phone to be able to hold onto their phone without dropping it on the ground. IMO, and I suspect in Steve’s opinion, the presence of that popular accessory would have been an indictment of the new iPhone designs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

Is there a way to make the iPhone just silence calls on do not disturb instead of ignoring them?

There’s a little switch on the side of the phone for that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think the dumbest thing about big iphones is that icons on the home screen still must tile from the top left like in iOS 1.0 when most people in most cases will be reaching from the bottom right

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sounds like iOS14 might be including springboard widgets, maybe that will open up some flexibility. However the same sources have said that the widgets may not be ready for 14's launch.

Also re: jobs and popsockets:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Don’t the big phones (e.g. 11 Pro Max) generally outsell the mid-size?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fourwood posted:

Apple says the iPhone 6/7/8/SE2020 is their most popular size ever.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apple says the iPhone 6/7/8/SE2020 is their most popular size ever.

well yeah they’ve been selling it for like six years

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
When the options are between "large" and "larger", people choosing "large" doesn't actually support the argument nobody would buy "small".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just think it's funny when people come in all strong with HARD TRUTHS and I GOT NEWS FOR YOU BUDDY when people wish for smaller phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Without being snarky, maybe you should buy an Android. If you hate every design decision and have decided they're objectively bad and they make nothing that you want to buy, then maybe it's just time to move on? I'm sure there's some small Androids out there, since there's an Android phone to fill every conceivable niche.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fourwood posted:

The cheapest current model phone is usually the best seller.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 8, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

endlessmonotony posted:

When the options are between "large" and "larger", people choosing "large" doesn't actually support the argument nobody would buy "small".

I don't think anyone is denying that. Apple just isn't investing the time and resources into making the "small" phones anymore, and it looks like that's not really changing with the iPhone 12 rumors. Whether or not the demand for a "small" phone exists, it's not on Apple's radar.

So your options are, I guess, to bitch about Apple, or like Endless Mike said, just buy something else. :shrug:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fallom posted:

I just think it's funny when people come in all strong with HARD TRUTHS and I GOT NEWS FOR YOU BUDDY when people wish for smaller phones

Yeah, it is pretty amusing. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, it’s too bad. I don’t really think that small phones are as wildly unpopular as posters in this thread claim. The old iPhone SE sold pretty well I thought. They aren’t the most popular, but I thought they had a niche.

It is traditionally Very Apple to insist that there is only one Right Design and it is the Apple Design, but in this case this kind of Apple-y reasoning is being applied to a product design which has annoying drawbacks, IMO. (Also, it is being used for a type of design where Apple blatantly copied Android.)

Traditionally Apple was very good about this kind of thing. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave if he saw that Apple was exclusively selling phones where many people deem it necessary to buy gaudy glue on plastic knobs to attach to the phone to be able to hold onto their phone without dropping it on the ground. IMO, and I suspect in Steve’s opinion, the presence of that popular accessory would have been an indictment of the new iPhone designs.

I would argue that Apple loves dongles and accessories and stebe (pbuh) would only have been mad that Apple wasn't making any of that pop socket money. There have been several instances where well liked features were removed and dongles sold to re-add it. Headphone jack being a major example. Having adaptors and dongles so that you can listen and charge simultaneously is ugly as gently caress but when you can charge $15 for it 🤷‍♂️

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Without being snarky, maybe you should buy an Android. If you hate every design decision and have decided they're objectively bad and they make nothing that you want to buy, then maybe it's just time to move on? I'm sure there's some small Androids out there, since there's an Android phone to fill every conceivable niche.

https://palm.com/pages/product

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Magic Underwear posted:

I would argue that Apple loves dongles and accessories and stebe (pbuh) would only have been mad that Apple wasn't making any of that pop socket money. There have been several instances where well liked features were removed and dongles sold to re-add it. Headphone jack being a major example. Having adaptors and dongles so that you can listen and charge simultaneously is ugly as gently caress but when you can charge $15 for it 🤷‍♂️

You have a point. Like the Pop Sockets, the Dongles are ugly. You have found a paradox in the Teachings of Steve.

But it could be argued that Steve's main idea behind the Dongles was to punish users for not using their Apple Products in the right way with the right accessories and to push them towards buying the newer products and accessories. You aren't supposed to buy the Dongle.

I don't see how the Pop Sockets work for the Apple Product Ecosystem in that way.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 8, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cool. Is it designed to hoover up my personal information y/n?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Cool. Is it designed to hoover up my personal information y/n?

no more so than the typical android phone but you should not actually consider buying one, it's so small that the interface is barely usable and the battery life is beyond abysmal

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

They don't exist outside of that stupidly overpriced $300 Palm phone for a barely usable gimmick with a smaller than iPhone 4 display (3.3" lol), terrible battery life, and a 4 year old Snapdragon 435. There's no other small Android phones (smaller than 5" screen) with even semi-recent hardware sold in the US at this point. Nearly every budget phone with laughably slow hardware and next to no storage has a 5" or larger display too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 8, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

Without being snarky,

Buddy,

Also is there any argument here other than "all available options suck for you but you better learn to like one of them because reasons"?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Buddy,

Also is there any argument here other than "all available options suck for you but you better learn to like one of them because reasons"?

no. also the reason is "no one makes phones smaller than the se anymore"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Apple's main shtick always was creating and leading the demand, not adapting to it.
"Small phones, audio jacks, buttons? Pfft."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Apple's main shtick always was creating and leading the demand, not adapting to it.
"Small phones, audio jacks, buttons? Pfft."

what? they were one of the last small phone holdouts. the major android oems had been making 5"+ phones for years by the time the iphone 6 came out

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Weedle posted:

what? they were one of the last small phone holdouts. the major android oems had been making 5"+ phones for years by the time the iphone 6 came out

Yeah, Apple clearly copied off of Android there.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

no. also the reason is "no one makes phones smaller than the se anymore"

I'll just buy the one that sucks the least and then continue not liking the design aspects that make using it difficult. Why would I try to convince myself the lovely bits are good? For the good of the brand? Because I have to pick a side? Help me out here, what's my motive?

SE 2020 getting rid of the notch and bringing back TouchID are a good start though. Now if they could only shrink the screen a little and give it a lightly textured aluminum back.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Weedle posted:

That was the formfactor and it was (supposedly) backed up by usage statistics. When those started to decline they released a bigger phone.
Not gonna lie, I'd use a 5s sized phone as a daily caller even now and personally still think that 4.7/5.5 sizes exist only because there was no Jobs around.
The balance of 'apple implemented and android followed' vs 'viceversa' is still on the apple side, generally speaking.

There is also a question - do you buy a phone because it has 'a feature' or because it has 'a sum of features'?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

I'll just buy the one that sucks the least and then continue not liking the design aspects that make using it difficult. Why would I try to convince myself the lovely bits are good? For the good of the brand? Because I have to pick a side? Help me out here, what's my motive?

SE 2020 getting rid of the notch and bringing back TouchID are a good start though. Now if they could only shrink the screen a little and give it a lightly textured aluminum back.

I got a Spigen TPU case (pretty cheap) for my 11 pro which made it a lot less slippery. That does also have the effect of making it slightly larger, though. Not sure if that would help you or not.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Charles posted:

I got a Spigen TPU case (pretty cheap) for my 11 pro which made it a lot less slippery. That does also have the effect of making it slightly larger, though. Not sure if that would help you or not.

Put it in a case, add hockey tape and a wrist strap to the case.

Completely obscures the design of the phone but hey I can use it for more than two weeks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

silence_kit posted:

The original SE was the small iPhone but it was also the cheap one. I think price had a much, much greater impact on sales than size (indeed everyone with an SE that I know bought it despite the small size not because of it)

silence_kit posted:

It is traditionally Very Apple to insist that there is only one Right Design and it is the Apple Design, but in this case this kind of Apple-y reasoning is being applied to a product design which has annoying drawbacks, IMO.

There have always been significant downsides to the Apple way of doing things but overall its proved fine for most people. This is no different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

Buddy,

I don't know what to tell you. Apple is not going to cater to every possible niche. They never have. If you insist that "using Android" is somehow worse than "I can't actually use it because I only have one hand" I guess that's your decision, but it seems like an odd one to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

I’ve worked in cell phones over 10 years. I’m not saying no one wants small phones. But I can’t emphasize enough: end of the day, what sells is what they’ll put out. A 4” screen phone doesn’t sell. It hasn’t sold well in years either. People look at phones, and they go “bigger screen, easier to see, in price range, cool.”

There is a limit. But Apple (and Samsung) has it pretty well down, people are very happy with phones the size of the iPhone 8 (and the 11 Pro, which size wise is essentially an edge to edge screen), to the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Max. Basically, do you want small, medium or large ?

Rip baby phones, but sorry, they only sold because the SE was cheap, and the majority of people spoke with their wallets, bought bigger screens, and surprise surprise, Apple switched to selling phones in sizes people will buy.

endlessmonotony posted:

Put it in a case, add hockey tape and a wrist strap to the case.

Completely obscures the design of the phone but hey I can use it for more than two weeks.

:allears:

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 9, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know what to tell you. Apple is not going to cater to every possible niche. They never have. If you insist that "using Android" is somehow worse than "I can't actually use it because I only have one hand" I guess that's your decision, but it seems like an odd one to me.

... the gently caress?

You're making a fuckload of assumptions here, ones you really loving shouldn't.

I know Apple won't cater to every niche; that doesn't mean I have to like the design that makes it difficult to use for me and billions of other people at times, because having two clean, available hands isn't exactly a guarantee. And a phone you can't grip well is an accessibility issue, and those loving slippery glass designs are such well-trodden design ground you can't even make the argument you're telling people with reduced mobility to go gently caress themselves in the name of aesthetics, because smooth glass backs are just boring as poo poo now.

And I don't know what the gently caress you think Android phones are like these days but here's a hint: They're relentlessly copying designs from Apple, because it turns out there's, uh, two companies with enough market share to make a meaningful dent. Half a dozen, if you're being generous. They're not better.

I can in fact use the new SE, it's just annoying since I have to mod the case so I won't drop it since I can't grip it in any meaningful way as is. That's also why I like margins, because I have a real problem with touchscreens registering touch at the edges and a good margin helps with that problem.

I can't use the Plus, and I'd much rather keep using the old SE or something of its size, but trying to get that and not-garbage OS support is just not happening in this market.

Market analysis and hard facts by "some dude who worked retail" aside, is it somehow funny that I'm disabled and have to mod the case so I don't drop the phone?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I really liked the 5/5S form factor and kept mine for longer than usual before upgrading to an 8 then an 11, but recently I had to use my dad’s 5S* and holy shitballs is it miserable to use now.

Either UI’s have changed or I just got used to a larger screen, but I can’t imagine using that small of a screen for anything but the most basic of phone functions. I just can’t see very many people going back to a smaller phone after having more screen real estate, and yes, I understand the small hands/pockets, etc. issue.

*I was setting up a 6S for the old guy - after insisting his old phone was ‘fine’, he now prefers the 6S’s size.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

Either UI’s have changed or I just got used to a larger screen, but I can’t imagine using that small of a screen for anything but the most basic of phone functions.

It's both of these things.

For me the major usability issue is screen width - wider is easier to type on. You can (at least some degree) work around larger screen issues with reachability gestures and smart UI design but you can't do anything to fit a decent keyboard onto a tiny phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

... the gently caress?

You're making a fuckload of assumptions here, ones you really loving shouldn't.

I know Apple won't cater to every niche; that doesn't mean I have to like the design that makes it difficult to use for me and billions of other people at times, because having two clean, available hands isn't exactly a guarantee. And a phone you can't grip well is an accessibility issue, and those loving slippery glass designs are such well-trodden design ground you can't even make the argument you're telling people with reduced mobility to go gently caress themselves in the name of aesthetics, because smooth glass backs are just boring as poo poo now.

And I don't know what the gently caress you think Android phones are like these days but here's a hint: They're relentlessly copying designs from Apple, because it turns out there's, uh, two companies with enough market share to make a meaningful dent. Half a dozen, if you're being generous. They're not better.

I can in fact use the new SE, it's just annoying since I have to mod the case so I won't drop it since I can't grip it in any meaningful way as is. That's also why I like margins, because I have a real problem with touchscreens registering touch at the edges and a good margin helps with that problem.

I can't use the Plus, and I'd much rather keep using the old SE or something of its size, but trying to get that and not-garbage OS support is just not happening in this market.

Market analysis and hard facts by "some dude who worked retail" aside, is it somehow funny that I'm disabled and have to mod the case so I don't drop the phone?
Again, you seem very angry because Apple doesn't cater to you, personally, and are making a huge assumption that "must perfectly suit everyones needs without a case." People have been putting their phones in cases since iPhones have had 3.5" screens, with 79% doing so as of 2017, which suggests no one particularly cares if the back is slippery since they're chucking it in something that's not. I already know your retort here is "they put it in that *because* the back is slippery" except that 87% of iPhone users had been back in 2013. So maybe the perfect iPhone design wasn't so perfect? I dunno.

As for Androids, maybe do copy Apple, you're right. But many don't. Right now you can buy a Google Pixel 3a, a mid-range phone that is more than adequate for most people (because smartphones hit "adequate" years ago) that will get several years of updates, that really looks nothing like any current iPhone (I guess you could claim they're copying the iPhone 5C).

Like, again, I am legitimately sorry that Apple doesn't make a device that suits your needs, which is why I'm suggesting you look elsewhere.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

Again, you seem very angry because Apple doesn't cater to you, personally, and are making a huge assumption that "must perfectly suit everyones needs without a case." People have been putting their phones in cases since iPhones have had 3.5" screens, with 79% doing so as of 2017, which suggests no one particularly cares if the back is slippery since they're chucking it in something that's not. I already know your retort here is "they put it in that *because* the back is slippery" except that 87% of iPhone users had been back in 2013. So maybe the perfect iPhone design wasn't so perfect? I dunno.

As for Androids, maybe do copy Apple, you're right. But many don't. Right now you can buy a Google Pixel 3a, a mid-range phone that is more than adequate for most people (because smartphones hit "adequate" years ago) that will get several years of updates, that really looks nothing like any current iPhone (I guess you could claim they're copying the iPhone 5C).

Like, again, I am legitimately sorry that Apple doesn't make a device that suits your needs, which is why I'm suggesting you look elsewhere.

... are you flat out trolling or just... saying those things earnestly?

I'm not angry because Apple doesn't cater to me, I'm angry because you're acting like a dipshit by trying to guess what my capabilities are or aren't. (Okay I'm a little angry Apple doesn't cater to me but they won't fix that until they get hit with a phone equivalent of the ADA. I'm also a little angry people think my objections are just meaningless noise and that I should just be a-ok with design that... really serves nobody but decidedly harms people like me.)

And no, you guessed wrong on the retort too - people put their phones in cases to protect them from drops and sometimes scratches. Duh. Or in my case, to get a grip. Thing is, I do find myself using the original SE without a case quite a lot. Going to be a lot trickier with the SE 2020.

And I'm glad I can buy the Pixel 3a, a phone that is... bigger... than the SE 2020. Thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

... are you flat out trolling or just... saying those things earnestly?

I'm not angry because Apple doesn't cater to me, I'm angry because you're acting like a dipshit by trying to guess what my capabilities are or aren't. (Okay I'm a little angry Apple doesn't cater to me but they won't fix that until they get hit with a phone equivalent of the ADA. I'm also a little angry people think my objections are just meaningless noise and that I should just be a-ok with design that... really serves nobody but decidedly harms people like me.)

And no, you guessed wrong on the retort too - people put their phones in cases to protect them from drops and sometimes scratches. Duh. Or in my case, to get a grip. Thing is, I do find myself using the original SE without a case quite a lot. Going to be a lot trickier with the SE 2020.

And I'm glad I can buy the Pixel 3a, a phone that is... bigger... than the SE 2020. Thanks!

Just use an Apple Watch with cellular if you only have one hand.

-Steve

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm not angry because Apple doesn't cater to me, I'm angry because you're acting like a dipshit by trying to guess what my capabilities are or aren't.

seems reasonable to infer from this post that you have one usable hand

endlessmonotony posted:

Of course, my constant yelling about accessibility, grip, one-handed use and so on and so forth probably reveal the big reason I have for loathing Apple's genuinely lovely design - I do not have two hands (not one I can use a phone with anyway).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

Just use an Apple Watch with cellular if you only have one hand.

-Steve

But without a hand, won't the watch just slide off his arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm also a little angry people think my objections are just meaningless noise and that I should just be a-ok with design that... really serves nobody but decidedly harms people like me.

A reasonable size screen serves almost everybody though