Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Melomane Mallet posted:

Tell me more about this D/L/D party: is there a better 3rd class for each or is it a six of one, half dozen of the other choice? In the snes game, I used Kevin all of once and Charlotte never, so I have little/no idea of what to expect from them.

My interest in playing support has been mainly making sure Riesz casts Strength+ and Duran has the appropriate saber up (Hawkeye's AI has been pretty good in terms of debuffs). How much would I (comparably) need to do in terms of support for L!Kevin?
I generally leave 3rd classes for people to pick what they think is cool or what Locked Abilities they prefer. The only reason I don't declared D/L Kevin the most absurd thing in the game (in terms of power) is because I haven't played with Dark Angela yet :v:
I have played with Light(/Dark) Angela though and while the T2 elemental spells can do a lot of damage they're not going to outshine what Kevin can do unless they get the Day boost. Even when hitting a weakness.

Support from Light Kevin would mostly be 'Pressure Point on yourself, heal when you feel like it' if you go Dark Charlotte. Light Charlotte would handle healing (and Sabering) and then it'd pretty much be Pressure Point management. Kevin's only slightly higher maintenance than everyone else because Dream Weeds are cheap and his Beastform is what makes him rip things to shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beefstew posted:

Nah he does finger guns.

That's total poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think Warrior Monk could be a really good hybrid support character on a team with MP hungry characters with good melee, like Nomad or Rogue. And Kevin is still Kevin, so he’s going to be doing a lot of damage regardless. Unfortunately healing just doesn’t really seem very important compared to just doing more damage.

I used WM for my first playthrough (Nightblade Hawk as lead with Star Lancer Riesz were the rest of my team) and it felt like a very solid team. Would recommend.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I played Warrior Monk/Magus/Nomad, and Kevin was still dealing good damage by the end. Barely ever needed any items to support his healing. Plus, it's his only class past the first that still wears a fez.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Warrior Monk and eventual Beast King Kevin are fun and really good support (since they don't get targetted and interrupted as much as Duran if you are using a Provoke build, nor is he squishy like Charlotte), but there's just something about Suzaku Aerial/Seiryu Strike and the eventual kamehamehaing that is very hard to pass.

Also on my 3rd playthrough, Hawkeye's comboes are super fun, and also using Charlotte a lot cause didn't knew she fought with frigging nunchakus/flails.

e: Also lol at this site having an S-tier ranking only for Angela. speaking facts right here

https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/29/trials-of-mana-angela-best-class/

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 7, 2020

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Depends on the rest of your party. If you have someone else that can debuff (dark Hawkeye) then you can go Valkyrie for buffs. If you don't, go Rune Maiden because it's way easier to buff yourself via items and skills than it is to debuff the enemy with them.

Valkyrie's CS is an AoE while Rune Maiden's is single target if you care about that.

Rune Maiden CS is a big circular AoE in this one.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I played a game with D/L Charlotte and didn’t like her at all. Her damage with summons was decent, but not great, healing was mostly irrelevant and her support was minimal. She gets good strength, but no good way to use it. I would play D/D Kevin, L/L Charlotte and any Angela. The team doesn’t support Angela really, but she’ll probably be fine anyway. Kevin benefits a lot from sabers and Attack Saber 2.

D/D Charlotte does a lot of summon damage, and breathes demonfire on enemies while going "Bleeeeeeeeh", so she's definitely superior.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 7, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I generally leave 3rd classes for people to pick what they think is cool or what Locked Abilities they prefer. The only reason I don't declared D/L Kevin the most absurd thing in the game (in terms of power) is because I haven't played with Dark Angela yet :v:

What does D/L (Enlightened) Kevin have for skills that puts him above D/D (Fatal Fist)? Moon Saber doesn't seem necessary when so much more damage is avoidable and D/D gets crit up, and the lists I've seen online haven't gotten to listing skills yet.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Enlightened is sort of a tanky DPSer. It starts off battles with 10s of invulnerability, so you could maybe do a gimmick with keeping your HP low and turning off AI heals. In most cases, Fatal Fist is probably the better choice. You don't really go dark Kevin for his utility.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm just about to finish my first playthrough with Dark/Dark Angela, Light/Dark Duran and Dark/Dark Reisz and man I'm blown away by how good debuffs are. Casting the magic defence debuff then casting Ancient Curse is phenomenal against any normal enemy regardless of level.
And I still think magic is better against normal baddies than bosses. Yes there are some bosses that Ancient Curse really fucks up but a lot of them like to move and it just totally misses if they do.

I still feel like the summons for Reisz are weird. Not that they're bad, it's just "Summon Hexen" or whatever is a bit meaningless and nothing else in game really does summons. Is it a reference to something else outside of this game or what?

I played with these three through the original game most recently so playing them now it's mad to see how different it is. And good too, I'm really liking it.

As a Liege (which is a poo poo name compared to Lord in the fan translation) Duran gets a stamina ability at around 21 that gives him 20 extra health. That's it. +20.
Surely that's hosed up and it's meant to do something else?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Taear posted:

As a Liege (which is a poo poo name compared to Lord in the fan translation) Duran gets a stamina ability at around 21 that gives him 20 extra health. That's it. +20.
Surely that's hosed up and it's meant to do something else?

It's just a permanent stat boost. You get the same for MP and the other primary stats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

gandlethorpe posted:

Enlightened is sort of a tanky DPSer. It starts off battles with 10s of invulnerability, so you could maybe do a gimmick with keeping your HP low and turning off AI heals. In most cases, Fatal Fist is probably the better choice. You don't really go dark Kevin for his utility.
Or you could ignore every attack, including the one's that knockback/interrupt you and rip everything to pieces in those 10 seconds. That's the thing with the invulnerability: D/D Kevin's punching can be interrupted. D/L's can't for 10 seconds (aside from some really weird niche cases I've seen.)
Also D/D's locked ability is another sub 30% HP one which I consider thoroughly 'meh,' especially compared to the invulnerability that you always get.
Oh right, D/L has a version of the Stat Down Resistance that makes whoever equips it immune to stat downs. That more than makes up the difference from the stats D/D has over D/L.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Rune Maiden CS is a big circular AoE in this one.
Oh right, yeah. I forgot because it's AoE isn't that big (neither is Valkyrie's) and when not controlling her things tended to die before she landed (because Kevin) :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's really weird to have Belladonna and Malocchio together because Malocchio is voiced as Generic Gay-Coded Ponce, and Belladonna's actress has basically decided to go above and beyond the call of duty and actually, like, act.

In fact she is putting in about three times as much effort as anybody else in the cast.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Goremand's pretty good too. I think his VA's one of the few experienced ones.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Taear posted:

I still feel like the summons for Reisz are weird. Not that they're bad, it's just "Summon Hexen" or whatever is a bit meaningless and nothing else in game really does summons. Is it a reference to something else outside of this game or what?

Hexas is a boss from Secret of Mana. It is odd that they are the only spells that stop everything, including Charlotte's summons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

gandlethorpe posted:

Goremand's pretty good too. I think his VA's one of the few experienced ones.

Yeah Goremand is another of the ones I think his english VA works better than his japanese VA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think a self-imposed No Item Shop rule might tune up Hard mode to have some actual challenge. Still early in this latest NG run but I'll see how it goes.

I should get back to FF7R at some point but I really do love this cozy little game. It is an egg in this trying time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'll do you one better-- no spending money. You only get free heals at Goddess Statues (unless you're really good at cacti hunting) and your only equipment choices are from seeds and treasure chests.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just watched a streamer do Black Rabite with starting equipment. So not spending money on equipment is certainly within reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does INT/Magic Attack affect Ninja Hawkeye's jutsus, or do they scale with Luck?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Harrow posted:

Does INT/Magic Attack affect Ninja Hawkeye's jutsus, or do they scale with Luck?

Same question, but for Rogue's traps.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

All magic-ish things are Int, including Jutsus, Summons, and Nomad spells. All traps and thrown items are Luck. Normal attacks are strength. Class Strikes are your combined Attack and Magic Attack.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well whatever challenge you do, don't do a "don't get hit" one, because...

lezard_valeth posted:

Do you have Angela? Cause if you do, you are in for a treat

oh you were being sarcastic. this is the worst god damned thing in the world.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there a point of no return? I'm at Mirage Palace and I'm missing Lil Cactus in a couple spots and I want to get them all before finishing the game. I assume I can just go back anywhere for the post game content right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There is no point of no return in this game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beating the game isn’t even the end of the game. Beating the endgame is also not the end of the game. Beating the black rabite is, essentially, the final task of a play through.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

jokes posted:

Beating the game isn’t even the end of the game. Beating the endgame is also not the end of the game. Beating the black rabite is, essentially, the final task of a play through.

I beat the Black Rabite before Anise, actually.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sacrificial Toast posted:

All magic-ish things are Int, including Jutsus, Summons, and Nomad spells. All traps and thrown items are Luck. Normal attacks are strength. Class Strikes are your combined Attack and Magic Attack.

I have so many questions regarding stats.

What about Nightblade’s abilities? I assume they scale with luck, since they’re on the luck tree, but particularly black rain seems more magic-ish.

I noticed Class Strikes scale with int, are they also affected by Magic Up buffs? What defense do they target?

What defense do traps target? I didn’t notice their damage increasing substantially with either defense down or magic down on a target.

I wonder if all buffs and debuffs of the same type are created equal. Obviously Riesz can upgrade her buffs and debuffs, but I wonder if the defense down from Broken Lines is the same as from Black Curse.

Eventually I’m just going to buy the PC version and try to figure things out.

One weird thing I’ve noticed — In my first play through, Vanadys’ Oracle buffed the whole team, but only on the first use. In my second play through it doesn’t. Is that an interaction with Nomad (random buff on the whole team at the start of battle) and if so, is it a bug? Has anyone else had this happen?

I regret taking Vanadys instead of Dragon Master on my Kevin, Duran, Riesz game. I didn’t realize she could buff herself as well, that pressure point is just a generic attack up buff now that works in wolf form or that Duran would get access to his own attack up buff from an NPC chain ability. Divine Fist kills everything so fast that the only point of the allies seems to be to buff Kevin, but Duran is really, really good at that, while Vanadys is just sort of there for the show.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Phantasium posted:

oh you were being sarcastic. this is the worst god damned thing in the world.

There is a reason why she is listed as S-Tier. Only Angela can beat Angela :getin:

e: I think the only realistic way you could go about attempting a no-hit run against her is by constantly reapplying the reflect magic item. Since Darkngela likes to use 2 spells in rapid succession, your dodge timing has to be either perfect to avoid both, or you reflect the first one and dodge the 2nd.

No loving clue how to avoid Blessed Pledge. Also gently caress those 2 ice stalagmites, I got stuck in those and ate a ton of damage more times than I'd like to admit.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 8, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

It's just a permanent stat boost. You get the same for MP and the other primary stats.

With MP though you've got like 150.
Duran went from 1260 health to 1280.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have so many questions regarding stats.

What about Nightblade’s abilities? I assume they scale with luck, since they’re on the luck tree, but particularly black rain seems more magic-ish.

I noticed Class Strikes scale with int, are they also affected by Magic Up buffs? What defense do they target?

What defense do traps target? I didn’t notice their damage increasing substantially with either defense down or magic down on a target.

I wonder if all buffs and debuffs of the same type are created equal. Obviously Riesz can upgrade her buffs and debuffs, but I wonder if the defense down from Broken Lines is the same as from Black Curse.

Eventually I’m just going to buy the PC version and try to figure things out.
Nightblade abilities count as weird niche spells, thus they're Int based. (Black Rain is used by some bosses as a spell.)

Class strikes are affected by Magic ATK up buffs and they target Defense. I dunno if Enfeeble's Mag Def down effect affects them in any meaningful way, most of them hit ridiculously hard in the first place.

Traps should target physical defense.

AFAIK all buffs that aren't affected by Riesz's 'Stat Up/Down' skills are the same. The only exception might be Black Rabite's mode change buffs because they're applied by the mode change and not a spell. Also if enemies have access to skills (they probably don't.)

lezard_valeth posted:

No loving clue how to avoid Blessed Pledge. Also gently caress those 2 ice stalagmites, I got stuck in those and ate a ton of damage more times than I'd like to admit.
Pledge isn't too hard to dodge, you have to keep moving so you don't get stunlocked in place by the stream of magic. Don't dodge, just move. Then you dodge the bigger AoE at the end like normal and hopefully lay into her a bit because it has the long 'hair flip' animation afterwards, great for getting a full power attack combo in or a second spell.

Also I'm fairly certain if I could fight her with Kevin she'd fold pretty handily, but that's because of her relatively low health and defense :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

There is a reason why she is listed as S-Tier. Only Angela can beat Angela :getin:

e: I think the only realistic way you could go about attempting a no-hit run against her is by constantly reapplying the reflect magic item. Since Darkngela likes to use 2 spells in rapid succession, your dodge timing has to be either perfect to avoid both, or you reflect the first one and dodge the 2nd.

Blessed Pledge is easy. You just stay behind the first damage zone and keep moving, and when the second bigger damage zone comes up you can just casually walk out of it, and once that's done you have time for 3 spell casts before she starts up her bullshit again. You don't want to ever get close to her for physical attacks because then she has to come to you for her physical attack phase which gives you an additional spell cast and ensures that she doesn't immediately switch between the two.

Her problem is that Lucent Beam+ and Thunderstorm+ both have cast timings that are not exact with when the damage zone says it is, Lucent Beam goes off a little after it says, and Thunderstorm a little before, which means you need to be paying attention to the text at the same time as you're moving to know exactly when to dodge, and be pretty much pixel perfect at it. And you need to be moving before the spell starts casting or you're hosed regardless. And the arena is so small that the second spell needs to pretty much have you dodge forward out of it or else you hit the wall and eat it anyway.

Normally I'd use class strikes to evade hard to dodge damage zones but one, you're always attacking with spells so you're never building up the CS gauge, and two your level one class strike just puts you in range of her physical attacks so if you do it to dodge the spells she starts her physical phase immediately and you get out of the class strike too late to not eat a pitiful physical attack (and it also makes it so you lose the chance to cast a spell on her as she comes to you to whack you, so it's less damage overall).

I didn't think about reflect, but I don't have the spell and don't want to go and buy what I assume is just an item at the night market, and as I think about it now using that item would probably take up precious time that I could spend attacking her anyway so it seems like a wash.

I've gotten her down to a third of her health before without getting touched but seem to eventually get tagged by one of those spells or yeah, get stopped by those loving stalagmites just in time to eat poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

There is no point of no return in this game.

There is a point at which visiting the class change statue becomes significantly more obnoxious though :argh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Crunch a bunch of m atk m Def scales against Angela's doppelganger and you're sitting pretty

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel like if I was in charge of remaking I'd have changed ??? seeds and the class change statue/stones somehow to make them a bit easier to reach without having to walk at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Taear posted:

I feel like if I was in charge of remaking I'd have changed ??? seeds and the class change statue/stones somehow to make them a bit easier to reach without having to walk at all.

I think that you should just be able to class change out of the menu after the first time, personally.

I also think the Class 4 items should remain on NG+ though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I have 2 more Lil Cactus locations to find, but according to my map I've found him everywhere I can land... are there any locations I should double check to look for him that I could have easily missed?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sigher posted:

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I have 2 more Lil Cactus locations to find, but according to my map I've found him everywhere I can land... are there any locations I should double check to look for him that I could have easily missed?

How far have you been? There's one in the Mana Holyland but only on the last time through.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What stage of the game are you in? The last one is in Sanctuary of Mana v2, so it won't show up until that transition. The only other one I can see you overlooking when looking at places to land is Oblivisle, since I think you need Booskaboo to go there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

You can check this guide, there are two at the end of the game (one in your main character's endgame area and one in the sanctuary mk.2 between the mana statues and the boss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm in the post-game, right before the fight with Anise, so after that I guess I'm going for Lil Cactus and the Black Rabbite. I for sure got the one in the Sanctuary right before the last boss, but I'm not sure if I got the one in the Dwarf Tunnel? I'm not even sure how to get back there. Other than whatever is listed on the guide, it looks like I got them all. Shame that the map is pretty unhelpful when it comes to areas you can't even land in.