Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Yeah most popular shonen shows have protagonists which are nuts

I mean, just look at Goku.

Or Naruto for that matter. Wasn't that guy basically a god by the end as well

He's the reincarnation of the son of the son of a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kild posted:

He's the reincarnation of the son of the son of a god.
You forgot the part where he also has part of a god sealed inside him.

But he was a loser who worked hard to get where he was and he didn't believe in destiny. Actually, when you read it like this. Naruto might not be that out of place in the One Punchman universe.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

But he was a loser who worked hard to get where he was

Booo, he worked hard and he got where he was, the two weren't related. The Naruto series has someone who works hard and believes in himself, who isn't genetically superior, isn't the son of a hokage, didn't have infinite fox chakra, and wasn't a huge tool. But Rock Lee was a joke who accomplished nothing ever, while Naruto was Ninja Jesus.

Naruto's messages were hard work pays off if you're the ubermench, and if you shower someone abusive with enough love they'll change.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't see the whole series but I remember the Rock Lee fight vs the sandguy and that it was a really cool fight for the time. Shame to hear he never amounted to anything much

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Zzulu posted:

I didn't see the whole series but I remember the Rock Lee fight vs the sandguy and that it was a really cool fight for the time. Shame to hear he never amounted to anything much

He goes to have his big moment at the very end of the manga but then the other characters just tell him no and he stands to the side and watches the whole final fight while doing nothing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The junk collector posted:

He goes to have his big moment at the very end of the manga but then the other characters just tell him no and he stands to the side and watches the whole final fight while doing nothing.

His master also proves that hard work can lead to godlike powers but the previously mentioned tradeoff for a Taijutsu master to achieve such strength gets dismissed by the god chosen. Mighty Guy now has a crippling injury for the rest of his life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

His master also proves that hard work can lead to godlike powers but the previously mentioned tradeoff for a Taijutsu master to achieve such strength gets dismissed by the god chosen. Mighty Guy now has a crippling injury for the rest of his life.

"Oh no he could have killed me were it not for my foot thick plot armor"
In a vaccuum that scene is so great, but the remainder of the series shits on it.

The whole thing with the final villain of Naruto, and Kishimoto admitting he 'made him too powerful to beat', trying to justifying the big fart of a bait and switch with a completely unannounced villain.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 8, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In a vaccuum that scene is so great, but the remainder of the series shits on it.

The whole thing with the final villain of Naruto, and Kishimoto admitting he 'made him too powerful to beat', trying to justifying the big fart of a bait and switch with a completely unannounced villain.

In a more enjoyable show, I would've loved if he'd convinced Kaguya to not kill everyone and so she's just kinda hovering around ominously with people trying to socialize with her.

It's like if you could convince Lavos maybe don't destroy the planet and then 6 years later kids are playing and climbing over it while it shuffles across the continent.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Naruto could've been so good, but I think it's symptomatic of editor meddling to make the main character crazier and crazier. (I've been watching Bakuman and have this on the brain)

If he'd just been the son of the hokage, that'd be fine. The hokage himself wasn't genetically amazing, and didn't even live to raise him, so that in itself isn't a big deal.

At first, the nine tails sealed in him was actually a hindrance to his growth, which was cool when he overcame the nine tails to basically steal its power.

Then he actually befriended the nine tails to gain even more power, which was great. Then he does the same with all the other tailed beasts, fine, in-line with his character.

But then you find out his mom's family has insane amounts of chakra naturally, AND he is the reincarnation of the ubermensch...ugh. Completely ruined the story for me (among many, many other things during the world war arc.)

And yes, everything regarding Rock Lee and Might Guy was tragic. They could have been the protagonists of their own series and it probably would be ten times better than Naruto.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

And yes, everything regarding Rock Lee and Might Guy was tragic. They could have been the protagonists of their own series and it probably would be ten times better than Naruto.

I'm not sure if :thejoke: or what but Lee was indeed the protagonist of his own series and it was indeed very good!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

You know, people poo poo on Dragonball's writing a lot, but Toriyama was good at that problem. Scene one: Bad guy explains all his powers and how they make him totally invincible, too powerful to beat. Scene two: Good guy punches him. Scene three: Bad guy's all NOOO I AM INVINCIBLE THIS IS HAXS and is defeated.

Or to put it another way...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Sharingan was bullshit from minute one, so making Madara accidentally too powerful to defeat was appropriate, if nothing else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unfinish3d posted:

reading through Garous article on the OPM wiki is like reading about something dreamt up by a 10 year old.

Garou is super fast and tough and doesn't feel pain and has really fast reflexes. even if he does get knocked out he can still fight, and he can dodge things just by instinct, and...

just on and on, it's kind of funny

Yeah he's just straight up a shonen protagonist and it owns

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

King of Solomon posted:

The Sharingan was bullshit from minute one, so making Madara accidentally too powerful to defeat was appropriate, if nothing else.
I miss when the Sharingan just allowed one to predict/copy moves. Then it started to be able to open black holes, cause time loops, and even erase death. Such loving garbage.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
A weaker mutation of the Hyuga's Byakugan!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

A weaker mutation of the Hyuga's Byakugan!

Byakugan's got some bullshit now too since Naruto's kids have it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Remember that one time when Rock Lee completely clowned Sasuke who was over-reliant on the sharingan, by just being faster than him and not using ninjutsu? Remember when Mighty Guy was the only person to have a countermeasure for Tsukiyomi? I remember. The problem with the Sharingan was that it stopped being mirror force, and became 2 instant loss moves for most people. Then a built in gundam even later.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In summary, Naruto was good, but then it became bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Catpetter1981 posted:

In summary, Naruto was good, but then it became bad.
Naruto should really be addressed as two separate things, as act 1 and act 2 do not make any sense together.

Like the iconic moment (Naruto defacing the monument) at the start of the series turns into: Naruto, a walking human nuclear bomb, is acting out because he's a hosed up orphan of the Hokage whose face he is defacing and knowing how powerful he is they just never tell him. Including characters who have every reason to do so, including his unit leader, whose whole life is hosed by his relationship with his dad, was trained by said Hokage and oh also Sasuke's entire insanity springs from Kakashi not telling him. It's such a wonderful mess, then the guy named screw gets screwed and Rock Lee breeds through budding.

One thing that OPM is good about, changes or not, is that the slightly goofy tone allows for this ridiculousness to retain consistency more easily. I think it's a good point about how Bleach and Naruto lose their tomfoolery while One Piece and definitely OPM keep it, so you don't get quite as caught up.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I do think it would have been hilarious if Sharingan had become like Miroku's Wind Tunnel.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I haven't bothered to read Boruto after Naruto ended but now and then I catch some panel out of context and look up stuff on the wiki, and perhaps the funniest thing to me is this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nighthand posted:

I haven't bothered to read Boruto after Naruto ended but now and then I catch some panel out of context and look up stuff on the wiki, and perhaps the funniest thing to me is this.

That ain't Gatchaman

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The junk collector posted:

I think you're confusing Guy with Rock Lee here, RL didn't do poo poo after the Rescue Sasuske arc that happened just before the time skip. I think the only thing he did was fight a clone(?) of himself which was pretty much chapter filler content.

Didnt take down one of those super ninja guys or grow as a character in any way, he was just sorta there.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nanigans posted:

Naruto could've been so good, but I think it's symptomatic of editor meddling to make the main character crazier and crazier. (I've been watching Bakuman and have this on the brain)

As an aside, I've re-read Bakuman recently, and while the manga creation parts are great, the misogynistic parts of the series dragged it down for me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think the reason why OPM keeps its comedic nature is because it doesn't even try to pretend that there is anything that can even touch Saitama in any meaningful sense. All those other comics have stakes, have things that test the hero, but Saitama is explicitly invincible. So the point of the story isn't about the hero clashing with the villain, or about making a point, its more about the spectacle.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was so excited about Naruto. I remember really liking the exam arc, at least until the exam got hijacked. The impossible test was one of the best, showed so much personality based on how they handled the test.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if :thejoke: or what but Lee was indeed the protagonist of his own series and it was indeed very good!

Yeah, but that was a gag manga, right? Obviously I like gag stories, this being the OPM thread, but I meant a full-on shonen battle manga starring those two.

amigolupus posted:

As an aside, I've re-read Bakuman recently, and while the manga creation parts are great, the misogynistic parts of the series dragged it down for me.

I’m about to start season 2 of the anime. The show’s treatment of Saiko’s mom sucks, but she did stand up for herself recently. Kaya’s dream being “help the boys” is poo poo, but she’s a generally good character. Azuki is dumb, but at least she has her own completely separate goal and works hard at it without help. And this new manga writing lady has the personality of a plank of wood.

Definitely not winning any women’s empowerment awards, no. =/

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The thing that sets Naruto apart in these discussions is that straight up, the only truly atrocious stuff is all in the Fourth Ninja War. Just about every other part of the story is somewhat salvageable if not great as a stand-alone part. Even Madara is an appropriately built up and meaningful villain. Also I take umbrage with the Sasuke is abusive stuff, because he flat out has no desire for a relationship with any of these people and is actively trying to get them to leave him alone, he sees them as enemies not friends or romantic partners; this doesn’t make it okay, but he absolutely would be stoked if Naruto and Sakura just let him go away and live his life (Karin is a different discussion and is yes, super gross on every level for it).

Anyway, One Punch Man is much more consistently good, to the point where I can’t think of anything outside the distasteful nature of Puri-Puri Prisoner as a “gag character” that I dislike about One Punch Man. Except the disappointing season 2 anime I guess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd add the Darkshine thing, but yeah, that and Puri-Puri are the only two bits that really stick in my craw.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd add the Darkshine thing, but yeah, that and Puri-Puri are the only two bits that really stick in my craw.

I'm slightly less down because I already knew about how ridiculous bodybuilder tanning lotion can look, but fair point.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Booo, he worked hard and he got where he was, the two weren't related. The Naruto series has someone who works hard and believes in himself, who isn't genetically superior, isn't the son of a hokage, didn't have infinite fox chakra, and wasn't a huge tool. But Rock Lee was a joke who accomplished nothing ever, while Naruto was Ninja Jesus.

Naruto's messages were hard work pays off if you're the ubermench, and if you shower someone abusive with enough love they'll change.

Yeah, there was stuff in Naruto I liked until I dropped it. But I really hated that so much of early Naruto is focused on the framing of like, the untalented outcast succeeding through hard work. And then we find out all the important poo poo that makes Naruto special while the actual untalented hard-worker only wins like a single fight and it was vs a clone of himself.

Also everything about SasukexSakura.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway, One Punch Man is much more consistently good, to the point where I can’t think of anything outside the distasteful nature of Puri-Puri Prisoner as a “gag character” that I dislike about One Punch Man. Except the disappointing season 2 anime I guess.
There's a couple distasteful bits but for me (and not to negate other people being offended) the three examples are all heroes, who are shown mostly positively and are heroic in their own ways. So it doesn't feel as mean-spirited as the usual.

Also a huge chunk of the cast in OPM are unusual or different natured, so it just feels like ONE is trying to use any idea he comes up.

Zerilan posted:

Also everything about SasukexSakura.
Whoa, whoa, not everything. Their daughter is good. Other than the manga artist being turbo-creepy about her, I guess.

I don't really understand her existence anymore than Metal Lee's but she blends them well and feels more fleshed out from the get go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The most cursed thing in Naruto is that I finally got the will to drop it, and two weeks later it was announced that this was the final arc and the end was soon, so I had to stick around.

I like Boruto because it's mostly these dumb, dumb characters now getting into zanier yet more relatable goofy scenarios. Hahah, mega war criminal Sasuke is trying to connect with his daughter who thinks he is kinda lame. Orochimaru, who experimented on many, many children and attempted a coup, is now the fun nonbinary parent that shows up from time to time to give parenting advise to Naruto. Gai and Kakashi go on a date, this one is just good.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Lord_Magmar posted:

The thing that sets Naruto apart in these discussions is that straight up, the only truly atrocious stuff is all in the Fourth Ninja War. Just about every other part of the story is somewhat salvageable if not great as a stand-alone part. Even Madara is an appropriately built up and meaningful villain. Also I take umbrage with the Sasuke is abusive stuff, because he flat out has no desire for a relationship with any of these people and is actively trying to get them to leave him alone, he sees them as enemies not friends or romantic partners; this doesn’t make it okay, but he absolutely would be stoked if Naruto and Sakura just let him go away and live his life (Karin is a different discussion and is yes, super gross on every level for it).

There was troublesome stuff in Naruto even early (the authors treatment of women for instance) on but it tends to get ignored because the overall quality was high and the central themes were good. Unfortunately the quality of writing in Naruto followed a consistent accelerating downward curve with the inflection point being somewhere around the time skip. By the last arc, it was just a screaming elevator to hell so it gets brought up a lot.

Someone earlier mentioned that OPM doesn't attempt to have conflict but rather spectacle. That's sort of true, but the there is plenty of conflict in OPM, it just isn't conflict through pure violence. A lot of the story revolves around Saitama overcoming ennui, License-less Rider overcoming his powerless in the face of adversity, etc. The violence is just a set piece for the actual conflict which is of a personal or interpersonal nature. It's good writing. It's also a great spectacle which is a cherry on top but it stands fine even when the spectacle is murdered like the animation in Season 2.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I should be glad I give up series' early... back when my issue with Naruto was that even by the standards of shonen stories it felt like it was about child soldiers and it needed a Reigen to shout at people "These are children, what are you making them do, grow up and fix your own drat problems yourself."

I've got no idea what's going on with One Piece, but Luffy looks like he ate Franky?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Elfface posted:

I've got no idea what's going on with One Piece, but Luffy looks like he ate Franky?

It was a surprisingly tasteful vore scene actually, i just wish it hadn’t taken three chapters to resolve

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pokemon is about children forcing animals to fight for their entertainment and Naruto is about warmongers training childsoldiers to become murderers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fellis posted:

It was a surprisingly tasteful vore scene actually,

Mods, please make this the title of the One Piece thread.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember how in Naruto there are actual modern technologies? Like, in Boruto, there's an actual city with skyscrapers and poo poo on top of the ninja village full of wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Sweet Mask is one creepy dude. That one panel with his face cracked really dives into the nadir of the uncanny valley.