Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

throw3848yui posted:

I am something you could consider smart; wrote first program as 6 years old, gave talks at conferences, worked on crypto-concesus algos, now I do research oriented consulting.

Some points:

- pattern recognition is basic brain function and everyone has it

- you need PERFECT health to be smart; check testosterone, sleep, weight, nofap, exercise etc.. 90% people have brain fog for some stupid fixable reason

- there is nothing wrong with CRUD app maintenance if you make good money. Challenge is nice, but gets old very fast, unless it is a hobby.

- avoid relationship until your life is in order. Huge time sink and ruins concentration.

- stop reading crap (politics, twitter... )

xf1cf posted:

There is nothing in this comment that strikes me as real. Not only was it completely unnecessarily to condescendingly talk about how allegedly smart you are, the points you gave sound like they came straight out of a wantrepreneur youtuber's vlog.

throw3848yui posted:

I think OP struggles with concentration, this could fix that.

Not sure what was condescending. And I am smart, my mother had me tested ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

alexandriao posted:

The thing is the xkcd time chart comes into effect. This is the kind of logic idiocy which is why yudkowsky thinks you should torture someone for 50 years to avoid 2^(bignumber) people getting a dust speck in their eye.

2 minutes of frustration does not accumulate when you add up the numbers, 2 minutes of frustration is nothing.

This ignores second-order effects like how spending time learning how to script activity x can be helpful when you've got to script activity y, moreso than "press buttan"?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

How old is this

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It was 2 hours old when I posted it iirc

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

alexandriao posted:

The thing is the xkcd time chart comes into effect. This is the kind of logic idiocy which is why yudkowsky thinks you should torture someone for 50 years to avoid 2^(bignumber) people getting a dust speck in their eye.

2 minutes of frustration does not accumulate when you add up the numbers, 2 minutes of frustration is nothing.

goatkcd version where the grayed out panels each have their own copy of hello.jpb

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

alexandriao posted:

This is the kind of logic idiocy which is why yudkowsky thinks you should torture someone for 50 years to avoid 2^(bignumber) people getting a dust speck in their eye.
While we're complaining about utilitarianism...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The hn have opinions on how Amazon treats warehouse workers.

solarwind 8 minutes ago [-]

Hacker news in a nutshell. Your fact-based comment from the actual real world runs counter to the dominant Marxist post-modernist thinking here.

---

ianleeclark 5 hours ago [-]

> I'd suggest working with or managing a place with low-skilled people. They of course aren't all like that but it seems it attracts low-motivation, low-effort, or low-caring
Pay low wage, get low motivation. No one's going to bust their rear end over a mcgriddle for minimum wage.

mtrower 2 hours ago [-]

I sure did. Harder than I worked at some better paying jobs, for sure. Wage itself does not seem to be the determining factor in motivation.
I'd say it's more about barriers to entry and the work environment itself.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"I worked very hard of my own motivation at my high school low-hour job that I didn't care about because my parents gave me everything anyway"

also very HN to out themselves as jordan peterson disciples

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is it true he’s a vegetable now? I can’t find anything about it except on like Fox News and stuff where it’s painted like a liberal conspiracy

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't think about Jordon Peterson without thinking of the Contrapoints video where Natalie Wynn is lying in the bath with a Jordon Peterson doll.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

mystes posted:

I can't think about Jordon Peterson without thinking of the Contrapoints video where Natalie Wynn is lying in the bath with a Jordon Peterson doll.

i don't know what you're talking about and respectfully request we keep it that way

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vomik posted:

is it true he’s a vegetable now? I can’t find anything about it except on like Fox News and stuff where it’s painted like a liberal conspiracy
he went off to a russian medical clinic for a procedure that had him in a prolonged medically-induced coma and although he is supposedly recovering at home he has made no statements, uploaded no videos of himself, and not commented on any current events. the only proof of life his daughter has offered is a ten-second clip of him controlling an rc car as it zooms around a patio while he wordlessly stands stock still

the preponderance of evidence points to his brain being 90% applesauce

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
wasn't the insanely risky and unnecessary induced coma related to the literal red-meat conservative catnip diet he was pushing too? or am i mixing things up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol rip jorp

you come at the king you best not miss

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

wasn't the insanely risky and unnecessary induced coma related to the literal red-meat conservative catnip diet he was pushing too? or am i mixing things up

no he had a crippling benzo addiction. getting off benzos can take upwards of a year and it is an unending hell of your own making

he probably thought the coma procedure was an easy way out

mystes
May 31, 2006

DaTroof posted:

i don't know what you're talking about and respectfully request we keep it that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqZdkkBDas

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

benibela 2 hours ago [-]

>You're never going to kiss anyone or share a cup or a smoke or any of the thousands of ways that have infected the vast majority of humanity?
Sounds reasonable
I am 30 and have never kissed anyone, and no plans to change that soon. Although I had some shared cups. I probably should get tested. But there is a good change I have avoided all herpes, even EBV. I hope they can find a vaccine soon.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

vmception 1 hour ago [-]

I'm a male and I paid for Gardasil 9 treatments by a medical professional that lasted through my 26th birthday some time ago.
It was a decent bet based on the idea that the money and privilege isn't necessarily going to last forever, while - if I wasn't already exposed to those strains - the vaccine helps.
Since then they've expanded the utility to people up to 40 years of age, instead of cutting off at 26. They've said throat cancers in men are linked to HPV - I can figure out how that happens - whereas it was previously benign in men and they were just carriers causing cervical cancers.
One more reason to date zoomers! The adult ones are attractive and have their shots, whereas older are basically oblivious and likely part of the group that fought against zoomers getting those shots.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

lmao :yikes:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
come on now that’s just pathetic and unfunny

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fritz posted:

vmception 1 hour ago [-]

I'm a male and I paid for Gardasil 9 treatments by a medical professional that lasted through my 26th birthday some time ago.
It was a decent bet based on the idea that the money and privilege isn't necessarily going to last forever, while - if I wasn't already exposed to those strains - the vaccine helps.
Since then they've expanded the utility to people up to 40 years of age, instead of cutting off at 26. They've said throat cancers in men are linked to HPV - I can figure out how that happens - whereas it was previously benign in men and they were just carriers causing cervical cancers.
One more reason to date zoomers! The adult ones are attractive and have their shots, whereas older are basically oblivious and likely part of the group that fought against zoomers getting those shots.

what

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
old man likes twink dick, so he got a herpes vaccine

it's not that complicated

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have very bad news for that guy if he thinks HPV is the same thing as HSV

("that guy" possibly being nbsd since i don't see any mention of the latter in that post anywhere)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i have very bad news for that guy if he thinks HPV is the same thing as HSV

("that guy" possibly being nbsd since i don't see any mention of the latter in that post anywhere)

the original poster got an hpv vaccine because he heard middle aged men were getting throat cancer from sucking dick. and he likes to gently caress "zoomers"

ergo: old man likes to gently caress twinks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hpv vaccine is good and should be part of the standard vaccination regime for everyone.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hpv vaccine is good and should be part of the standard vaccination regime for everyone.

conversely, hn posters are bad and i really didn't need to know how much this dude likes to gently caress "zoomers"

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
momokoko 5 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Happiness is a freshly organized codebase

Needing organized codebases is a personality type as there is zero academic research I’m aware of that has ever shown strict organization has resulted in less bugs or faster development.

These are all done by people that need to feel in control and that everything has a place. So much money and time has been wasted on stuff like this with zero proven or measured benefit.

===

jfim 5 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Happiness is a freshly organized codebase

Maybe, but there are other metrics than just developer output.

If having a codebase that's well organized makes developers happier, and happier developers stay longer at the company, then that's also a win.

===

momokoko 5 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Happiness is a freshly organized codebase

This makes some, definitely not all, developers happier.

Organization for happiness is based on the individual developers personality and means you are putting some engineer’s happiness as a priority over spending that money providing other things to make the developers with a personality type that derives no benefit from strict organization.

In fact, strict organization rules make some developers less happy. Why is their happiness less important when this is well known to have no business benefit?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

a few years ago we started a new project at work and the senior dev just slopped code wherever with the justification that it’s a proof of concept and we’ll clean it up later, nbd

well lo and behold, very quickly no one but him could follow that spaghetti poo poo. after 3 sprints of “cleanup” it ended up with a sane structure - it was fairly well factored, responsibilities were cleanishly separated, etc.

but it was like, man I bet if you had spent just a little bit of time sketching out a reasonable structure from the beginning it would have been like 75% right

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 8, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

interesting jump from "no research" to "no benefit" there. strong "never worked on anyone else's codebase" energy too.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there no studies proving that I shouldn’t poop my pants. therefore preferring clean pants is a personality type and catering to these people is a waste of my time *faaaaaart, wetly* feels like victory :smug:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zaroth 1 hour ago | parent | favorite | on: There is one, and only one strain of SARS-CoV-2

I couldn’t agree more.
The COVID discussions have been the single most frustrating experience for me on HN since I joined. Ever single comment I’ve made downvoted, even accused of contributing to millions of deaths (an account which was thankfully banned for making the remark).
It’s only in the last week or two that it’s started to become remotely possible to have intellectual discussions on COVID, but it’s still overwhelmingly politicized and unscientific.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's un-scientific to insist that millions should not die for my haircut and moreover FAAAAART

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

dads friend steve posted:

a few years ago we started a new project at work and the senior dev just slopped code wherever with the justification that it’s a proof of concept and we’ll clean it up later, nbd

well lo and behold, very quickly no one but him could follow that spaghetti poo poo. after 3 sprints of “cleanup” it ended up with a sane structure - it was fairly well factored, responsibilities were cleanishly separated, etc.

but it was like, man I bet if you had spent just a little bit of time sketching out a reasonable structure from the beginning it would have been like 75% right

dont call me out

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Today, in Hacker News And The Road To Eugenics:

quote:

jarpschop 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Holocene Extinction

This way of living, with that many people on the planet is not sustainable. We are on a runaway train to extinction and we want it to go faster. The economy!

quote:

ericmay 3 hours ago [-]
I agree. And the other thing too is nobody wants to hear about the prospect of overpopulation. In fact, I think most of our problems stem from this.

Bill Gates, for example, says we can "feed 12 billion people". Ok sure, but at what cost to the planet and our quality of life? Others say "the whole population could fit in an area the size of Texas". Or they look at Hong Kong density and say "it's possible". But I don't think that is sustainable or desirable.

When people think of picturesque countries like Norway, they often forget that those countries have low population densities, which allow them to leave parts of nature untouched.

Another issue that arises is that the global economy is built on a forever growth model. We're kind of stuck with an economic house of cards standing on the back of continued population growth.

/Bit of rambling here.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
very telling that he chose norway, as opposed to sweden or denmark

(because copenhagen and stockholm are dense urban areas surrounded by great natural beauty)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Doesn't Norway also have like assloads of oil?

E: I mean, it's not worth pumping up now but if we're going to Waterworld it up through the fjords we'll need that sweet hot rock juice?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2020

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Doesn't Norway also have like assloads of oil?

E: I mean, it's not worth pumping up now but if we're going to Waterworld it up through the fjords we'll need that sweet hot rock juice?

yeah norway is a petro-state

unlike literally every other petro state though they have used the bulk of the money to build a sovereign wealth fund, so norway will not be a broke shithole when the money pump is turned off for the final time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the end of the north sea money train is gonna devastate public finance in the uk

it's going to be hilarious in a very sad way

edit: nope i looked it up and they already essentially canceled the taxes and voluntarily went without billions of pounds because tories or something idk

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I would just assume they chose Norway because whatever ecofascist source they got it from, knowingly or unknowingly, likes Norway or is Norwegian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

There's a Damore thread...

ravenstine 2 hours ago [-]

Damore was not offered a chance to receive forgiveness by either the company or the outrage mob, therefore I don't respect what people generally have to say about whether what he did was right or wrong. It's astounding that people are still debating this in this very HN thread. A society of any size that makes virtue claims while simultaneously adding an undue price to being wrong or insensitive deserves to be mocked and ridiculed. You don't have to agree with anything Demore said, but the fact that Google openly encouraged political discussion, yet had an unwritten rule that if you say anything to upset a particular political demographic that you are terminated, is patently absurd. Companies shouldn't be encouraging employees to be political. We would never tolerate companies that encourage religious discussion but fire employees that say things against the Christian faith.

If you're going to come into this thread to refute Damore's memo and downvote people who don't tow your petty little line, your need to reexamine your principles, if you've got one.

balls187 54 minutes ago [-]
You mean consequences for your behavior?

recursive 39 minutes ago [-]
You mean like how domestic violence is just consequences for the victim's behavior?

spangry 4 hours ago [-]
If making a mess is what gets you fired, shouldn't google have gone after whoever leaked the memo, instead of Damore?

varjag 5 hours ago [-]
Plenty people here suggest Damore's something smart, can I see his GitHub?