Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wooper posted:

I like Mashinky and Production Line.

To me, Big Pharma was just a puzzle about how to fit all the factory parts in a tiny space. Didn't do it for me.
I am a big Big Pharma evangelist and my first warning is always the workshop floor part of Big Pharma is a bad tangram puzzle.

The process design is unmatched with the random ingredients and cost per workstation though. You need an actual business plan before you do the bad tangram puzzle and I love that part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New city builder called Before We Leave out on Epic Store.

Looks neat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Megazver posted:

Looks neat.

I was wondering if anyone had gotten it and played it yet. That's one of the many issues (for me) with the Epic Store. No user reviews. I do use the store, it's just disappointing to say the least.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 9, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
It looks cool but im also going to dip out due to Epic Store.

Epic Store is clearly made for developers not consumers, which is bad news. Too bad most gamers have zero integrity and are so desperate for their latest fix that they accept all the bullshit the gaming industry has thrown at us the last decade.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

On the other hand, Railway Empire is currently on sale direct from Kalypso for $12.
Thanks for the heads up on this, it sounds kinda flawed but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nvm

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this, it sounds kinda flawed but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth!

Adekyn is the YouTube expert on Railway Empires.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm surprised with Mashinky that it seems to get so little attention or discussion (given that it seems like it should be the dream of a lot of railroad/management sim players), which makes me think there's probably something wrong with it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think a lot of people don't like it's boardgame-like economy based on tokens. What killed it for me was that tracks needed so much space, any OpenTTD-like exchanges/crossing etc. took up half the drat map.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mashinky is the game most ambitiously targeting OpenTTD but its maybe like 2/3 there at best. Which is still a good game, the token economy is amazing compared to the binary on/off money printers in Transport Fever 2 and OpenTTD and you actually debate which engine and rolling stock makes the most sense for a route. And the 3d renderer gives incredibly model train vibes.

But until it gets more eras its kind of a game I'll pick up for a few hours and end up thinking maybe I should play more OpenTTD or Fever instead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

zedprime posted:

But until it gets more eras its kind of a game I'll pick up for a few hours and end up thinking maybe I should play more OpenTTD or Fever instead.

Yeah, weirdly after I requested my refund, I've been itching to go back and play TF2 again. Once the wallet money goes through finally I'll probably just buy it again haha.

Especially since I just picked up Railway Empire for $12 so I should have no shortage of good rail games. Are any of the RE DLCs worth it? Or is it just chromey stuff?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Railway Empire DLC is more Railway Empire in the form of map packs with matching local engines and stock. It goes on sale a lot it feels like so don't feel compelled to grab it now, it takes a bit of time to blast through the maps and all you're missing out on is more of them. If a specific regions' trains and geography takes your fancy I guess you could grab one now though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah all the dlc is 75ish% off right now on the publishers site. Might pick up what looks fun

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Im a huge OTTD fan and what i like is to build big rear end stations, exhanges and mainlines with lots of signaling.

Games like Transport Fever with its detailed setup of a single line but no big sprawling stations and its focus on realism and being able to drive your own trains etc is extremely not my cup of tea.

Mashinky is in an awkward place between these 2 genres.
It has the unrealistic part of OTTD where it lets you build quite a lot of trains and lines but it keeps realism in curve radius of train tracks and such resulting in everything taking so much space so you never get a satisfactory amount of trains.
At the same time there are train sim features like first person driving the trains.

He is trying to appeal to both OTTD nerds as well as train sim nerds and i dont think there is a lot of overlap in the venn diagram there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mashinky just doesn't feel finished. I mean if this is all there is going to be then so be it but I don't feel comfortable recommending it in its current state And yes it's very gamey and that takes away from the immersion that some of us like in our train games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

New base building/mining sandbox game hit the store today called Hydroneer. Anyone know anything about this? It looks alright, especially for $7.99 (right now).

There's some decent reviews for this but most of the reviews mention the same bug, which is sometimes slightly touching equipment sends it flying into the distance never to be seen again lol. If it wasn't for this bug I think most of the reviews would be pretty positive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

There's some decent reviews for this but most of the reviews mention the same bug, which is sometimes slightly touching equipment sends it flying into the distance never to be seen again lol. If it wasn't for this bug I think most of the reviews would be pretty positive.
Bad physics sandbox?

Challenge accepted.

You caught my eye with it with your last post and I saw it was still generally positive reviews (including sending tools through the floor/into the sun like an anime) so I impulse bought a few minutes ago and am gonna try it out this afternoon.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hydroneer is pretty ok? it's well made, the physics are bit wonky but that's the nature of the game. it's mostly just a mining sim. i think it's a bit one note, if you like mining for gold then give it a shot but there's not much more to it than that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hydroneer trip report: my shovel blasted off at some point in the night while building my water tap. I am 1 credit away from buying a new shovel because I spent too much money on water pipes I don't need and apparently the stores don't have a return policy. Farewell first save, I only knew you for half an hour.

Its a one note mining simulator. Some of the automation stuff looks neat but it is very much worth what its selling for at the moment in good and bad ways. I like it so far.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I watched some videos, and it looks like dealing with holding and carrying only one item at a time would be infuriating, especially for money. I get the idea that the developer is going for where you shouldn't be keeping 50 stacks of concrete in your pants or whatever, but surely stuff like money could be abstracted, or a small inventory system where you have pockets or a backpack could at least be used to store some tools.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everything being a tangible object in the world which you have to pick up and interact with is kind of annoying, yeah

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be surprised if they don't patch money out of the physical world or patch in something bigger than the pan for carrying equipment. The money ends up not being the problem, the stuff you buy can only be carried in bulk in the truck for the most part.

The game would kind of evaporate into nothing at all with a hot bar though, the progression is entirely about finding a way to replace tool juggling with automated stuff. Its budget as hell so if you don't want a weird physics gimmick game you can safely ignore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it but sounds like I can give it a pass for now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat, Factory Town is ADORABLE and very good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I played 300 hours of My Time at Portia, but it really bugs me that after a each story beat there's a break where you can't do anything to advance the plot. You just have to patiently wait for the next adventure to come to you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I feel like I should give Portia another try but I got so frustrated with the mining stuff because it all felt so drat janky that I just gave it up.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Im a huge OTTD fan and what i like is to build big rear end stations, exhanges and mainlines with lots of signaling.

Can you or someone else record a good lets pay where someone does this in OTTD?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

The music is excellent as well!!!!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

abrosheen posted:

Can you or someone else record a good lets pay where someone does this in OTTD?

Check out OTTDCoop, a bunch of players that play multiplayer OTTD and make absolutely absurd layouts

They have a wiki that explains large scale building concepts, though they do require some prior knowledge of the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

explosivo posted:

I feel like I should give Portia another try but I got so frustrated with the mining stuff because it all felt so drat janky that I just gave it up.

That's how I felt. The general building system and gameplay is really cool, but every time I started a pattern I'd think "ughhhh I gotta go back into the fuckin ruins again" and the inventory is so small

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

COOL CORN posted:

That's how I felt. The general building system and gameplay is really cool, but every time I started a pattern I'd think "ughhhh I gotta go back into the fuckin ruins again" and the inventory is so small

I got mods for the ruins and I don't regret it one bit. Portia was a chill fun game and I should probably play it again considering the last time I beat it it was on release.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
portia is a game of neat, flavorful ideas that then completely faceplanted the execution

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

COOL CORN posted:

You can buy extra inventory space by clicking on the locked rows. The first few are cheap enough to be bought in the first week if you want.

explosivo posted:

I rather enjoy the mining. It's easy and zen-like for me. If you're having a hard time getting enough ore, try ignoring the glowing dots and spend a day just mining. You'll get a lot more ore (and data discs).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gamerofthegame posted:

portia is a game of neat, flavorful ideas that then completely faceplanted the execution

Now, now, it did one bit of execution very well:

Your Rival the smuggest, most punchable rear end in a top hat ever and there's a dialog option to duel and smack him around you can trigger at any time you run into him. I think the only limit is how many times you do it a day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Now, now, it did one bit of execution very well:

Your Rival the smuggest, most punchable rear end in a top hat ever and there's a dialog option to duel and smack him around you can trigger at any time you run into him. I think the only limit is how many times you do it a day.

:hai:

Being able to duel him is nice since you're not allowed to say "Hey mr. 'Portia's number one builder', why are you using the communal furnaces instead of building your own?"

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Megazver posted:

Looks neat.

I’ve played it through the first planet- the gimmick is that you start on an island, there are three islands that you have to build on per world, one island has a space ship that you launch to get to another world- there are three worlds.

Graphically it’s OK, the curved world (Universim style) looks good, it’s hex-tile based, and the worker AI seems to do what it needs to do. Here’s the thing though- it’s extremely boring. Yes, it’s a sandbox with no real constraints or failure conditions, and that’s fine. But all you do is build and tech. This would also be fine, but each of the islands you build in feels cramped- not as in “you need to make good strategic decisions,” but each road takes up a hex and there’s just not much space to make any kind of good or aesthetics town plan. Not that it would matter, because the mechanics that seem to be there to add challenge- pollution and unhappiness, are either trivial to fix (pollution) or don’t even affect your population in any meaningful way (unhappiness).

Like, later in the tech tree you can build advanced good buildings that add happiness to your workers. I just kept feeding them water and potatoes and never built any advanced buildings and nothing bad happened. Maybe they worked slower? I don’t know, and it didn’t matter because I just put the game at max speed. Launched the spaceship, realized the second world was just more of the same- with even more advanced food buildings!- and stopped playing.

You can tweak the difficulty options, and I was just playing on default, so maybe that makes it more fun. Maybe somebody has played it and had fun figuring out something I didn’t. If so, let me know and I’ll look at trying it again.

It feels like a worse, more boring version of Universim, and I don’t recommend Universim in its current early-access state (But I do think it’s going to be awesome at release). There’s just so many games that do what Before We Leave does, but better, that there’s no reason to recommend it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

COOL CORN posted:

Based on the name I now want a company town building game. Pay all your workers in scrip. Get people to rat on organisers. Design the town and institute laws to improve the moral fabric and efficiency of your peons.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

hey hey stop hatin' on portia you guys

it's good

it's a good fun game you mean people

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It tries to pass off Traditional Chinese Quackery as actual medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solemn Sloth posted:

Based on the name I now want a company town building game. Pay all your workers in scrip. Get people to rat on organisers. Design the town and institute laws to improve the moral fabric and efficiency of your peons.
Had a similar thought when I was first playing it. Maybe we'll get a hybrid of city building and manufacturing some day.

If you can settle for subtext, Gearcity let's you build manufacturing plants in developing nations which have been very company town up till the modern day.