Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Lechtansi posted:

It's funny, now that you mention it, Batman and Batman's villans are probably the least super-powered in the DCEU, and maybe even marvel.

Eh, I think there are some obscurer characters who probably have less superpowered casts, like Green Arrow or the Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fractalairduct posted:

Eh, I think there are some obscurer characters who probably have less superpowered casts, like Green Arrow or the Punisher.

Things generally don't go well for superheroes/villains when they come up against Frank. With the exception of Deadpool. He hasn't figured out a way to kill Deadpool yet. He cut him into a dozen pieces once and scattered them around NYC.

It didn't work.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Batman is definitely street scale until he's palling around with the Justice League, when he suddenly gets to global scale, which is weird but it happens in comics pretty often. Spiderman is similar in that he's usually street scale but then the Fantastic Four will come knocking and he's suddenly dealing with aliens and poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warbird posted:

Oh now you're messing with me. Supes fucks too? I assumed it was a Ken doll situation.

Ken doll, not Kent doll. Duh.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Batman is definitely street scale until he's palling around with the Justice League, when he suddenly gets to global scale, which is weird but it happens in comics pretty often. Spiderman is similar in that he's usually street scale but then the Fantastic Four will come knocking and he's suddenly dealing with aliens and poo poo.
But Spiderman's pet villains are generally at least a *bit* superpowered, like having mechanical octopus arms or being able to smash through steel doors or shoot electricity or fly and shoot fire or fly and throw bombs or being the dried version of Clayface or doing hypnotic illusions or, er, the Lizard.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

roomforthetuna posted:

But Spiderman's pet villains are generally at least a *bit* superpowered, like having mechanical octopus arms or being able to smash through steel doors or shoot electricity or fly and shoot fire or fly and throw bombs or being the dried version of Clayface or doing hypnotic illusions or, er, the Lizard.
I actually think they handled that pretty well with the Vulture in the MCU Spiderman flicks - he's clearly from the streets, but will happily avail himself of alien tech to get an edge. Of course, it also helps that he's played by Michael Keaton...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Warbird posted:

Oh now you're messing with me. Supes fucks too? I assumed it was a Ken doll situation.

Pincers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Do you want to know how I got these emotional scars? :v:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Things generally don't go well for superheroes/villains when they come up against Frank. With the exception of Deadpool. He hasn't figured out a way to kill Deadpool yet. He cut him into a dozen pieces once and scattered them around NYC.

It didn't work.

There was that time that Frank killed the Marvel Universe.

If I were king I'd make that the final installment of the MCU.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I hate to say this, but Cheryl is a terrible cop. She just let an unarmed newbie psychologist go into the cell of a homicidal maniac. You're a guard! You're supposed to keep people out! You don't just let them in because they ask aggressively! I know Gotham police officers are all useless, but that's some next level incompetence.

Also, as much as I love bald Riddler, long haired Riddler was kind of a babe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

The story of Jon Kent's introduction to comics is even wilder. It starts off with an event created solely because the DC Comics offices were moving where a bunch of cities from various universes whose timelines have ended (read Pre- and Post- Crisis DCU cities) and pitted them against each other. All the heroes band together instead of fighting, yadda yadda. One of those cities had a Post-Crisis Lois and Clark who, while being trapped conceived a child due to the city abduction temporarily shutting off Superman's powers. Some stuff happens as part of the event and the new family elect to go to the main Earth when the events of the New 52 starts except there's already a Superman and Lois that exists there. Instead they decide to just chill out in California for a decade in secrecy as various comic book events happen before catching up the to current events of the comics. DC Rebirth and other stuff happens such that there's only one Superman and Clark again and they've always had Jon (I think).

tl;dr Comics are weird and dumb, but sometimes amusing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So the implication there is that one of Supe’s powers is jizz so potent that it destroys any egg it comes in contact with? Also Clark and Supe are complete separate characters now?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

So the implication there is that one of Supe’s powers is jizz so potent that it destroys any egg it comes in contact with? Also Clark and Supe are complete separate characters now?

:shrug: No idea! Maybe they're too potent, maybe they're too alien without depowering. Who knows!

As for Clark and Supes being separate people, yes and no. Part of the whole, realignment of the canon (again) involved with rsolving having two Clark Kents involved the sudden appearance of a Clark Kent such that there was, at one point, the Post-Crisis Clark, the New 52 Clark and this new Clark. I forget where he came from, and I think he was just a figment from Mr. Mxyplztk (sp?) who merged them all together and helped restitch the timeline such that Supes and WW still had a thing at some point but then Supes goes back to Lois and marries her and has a kid or something. Idk. This part of comics canon is extra weird and wrinkly because of how mixed up it is and the wildly varying visions on Superman at the time by writers and editorial until a firm decision was finally made. Superman is (and always was in the canon) one person.

Bonus: Despite there now being a 12 year old Superboy who's the legit offspring of Clark and Lois, he got aged up suddenly and shunted into the future to be a part of the Legion of Superheroes despite most of the young Superboy's comics being fairly fun. This is mostly because of Brian Bendis and also because there apparently isn't ever enough room for two different Superboys to exist in one setting.

Edit: lmao at early Joker basically looking like Heath Ledger.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. No, really, I'm pretty sure that was exactly what the writers were thinking of.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

Since no one else has posted it yet: http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Jason Todd existed. That's funky.

"You wanna know how I got these emotional scars?"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Mr. Ferris was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Warbird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_aMss1p8EQ

This should be canon, even Superman's jizz is probably a weapon of mass destruction.

Edit: As for this week episode, Dent, what an rear end in a top hat, poor Jim.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Aaah!

I love that once they introduce Dent you're kinda thinking "oh are we getting this show's origin story for Dent?" and then Ivy attacks but nope, not her... the bomb is going off and Dent's in the asylum with it! but no, it's not the bomb... there's a guy with a flamethrower DIRECTLY next to him! but nope, not that either. Harley spits on his bad side and calls him Two Face. That's the origin story. This show is a loving onion it has so many layers, I love it!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow, this Harvey Dent, gently caress that guy, holy poo poo. Also kind of like that he used his DA voice at the end there to get across he really is just two sides of the same coin.

I hope that's the last we've seen of the Joker, too, or at least villain Joker- normie Joker can stay. Maybe he's great with Batman, but Harley's got her own poo poo going on, poo poo that doesn't need Mistah J or his baggage.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CommissarMega posted:

Wow, this Harvey Dent, gently caress that guy, holy poo poo. Also kind of like that he used his DA voice at the end there to get across he really is just two sides of the same coin.

I hope that's the last we've seen of the Joker, too, or at least villain Joker- normie Joker can stay. Maybe he's great with Batman, but Harley's got her own poo poo going on, poo poo that doesn't need Mistah J or his baggage.

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with normie Joker just happily living his life as a civilian and being the world's greatest stepdad. This is the perfect end of his arc for this show, plenty of other villains to pit Harley against.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's definitely gonna be at least one more episode where some villain tries to "revive" The Joker and he reaches the brink and ends up staying normal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This episode wasn't bad on it's own merits, however an episode without King Shark, Clayface and Bane feels lackluster compared to the rest of the season, not bad, just bland.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 8, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angry Lobster posted:

This episode wasn't bad on it's own mretis, however an episode without King Shark, Clayface and Bane feels lackluster compared to the rest of the season, not bad, just bland.

Yeah, the side characters add a LOT and when they're missing you really feel it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Angry Lobster posted:

This episode wasn't bad on it's own merits, however an episode without King Shark, Clayface and Bane feels lackluster compared to the rest of the season, not bad, just bland.
Yeah, it was a good episode of a show, but a bad episode of this show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's interesting how much this show decenters Batman. In a lot of other DC properties, even ones where Batman isn't the protagonist, he exists as this kinda mystical personification of badass justice.

But here he's... not that. Still wealthy, heroic, and supremely competent, but no longer bordering on messianic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I love that they just poo poo on The Dark Knight. I mean, I loved Dark Knight and still consider it the third best Batman movie ever (behind the two Michael Keaton ones) but I'm perfectly fine with this show satirizing some of the edgelordy things that made it so popular.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can love something and poke fun of it anyway. Like everything in this show, for example.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

God, you're so smug.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

Warbird posted:

With all the seperate multiverses, alternate timelines, and mustard-covered cockheads in the DC universe it's hard to keep track! But at one time Larry Niven thought so long and hard over this that he eventually wrote an essay: http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

Edit: drat you, Brock Samson!

Swollen Member fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 9, 2020

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do you want to know how I got these emotional scars? :v:

Gonna take restraint not to change the thread title every week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alan Tudyk could really give Mark Hamill a run for his money in the "best Joker voice" category if he gets to do this long term.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Skippy McPants posted:

It's interesting how much this show decenters Batman. In a lot of other DC properties, even ones where Batman isn't the protagonist, he exists as this kinda mystical personification of badass justice.

But here he's... not that. Still wealthy, heroic, and supremely competent, but no longer bordering on messianic.

Yeah, it's great, isn't it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I have no idea what's happening in this show. I genuinely thought the idea for season 2 is going to be "no Batman, no Joker", but they're leaning into both even more than in S1.

What was even the point of this episode long flashback? What did we learn?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea what's happening in this show. I genuinely thought the idea for season 2 is going to be "no Batman, no Joker", but they're leaning into both even more than in S1.

That the show really needs the rest of her gang to be great :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xander77 posted:

We learned that Harvey was the only thing keeping Gordon off the deep end. :v:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I think its cool that the batman-verse can still tell interesting stories even without its main protagonist.

That being said, this episode was really weak. Not very many jokes, it didn't move the plot forward and it was missing most of the cool character interactions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It was mainly about Harley's relationship with Ivy, and exactly why Ivy's so attached to her. It also fleshed out this arc's main antagonist, Two-Face, and showed us what makes him tick.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

We learned that Harvey was the only thing keeping Gordon off the deep end. :v:

Bane is Harvey's new Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It also fleshed out this arc's main antagonist, Two-Face, and showed us what makes him tick.

Well, I don't know if I'd say "fleshed out" given that we basically learn that Harvey only cares about his own image and promotion. Which was pretty clear from the last episode with Bane.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bane is Harvey's new Gordon.

I'm not sure Gordon getting on steroids would be better. :v: