Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
My Carole & Tuesday Can’t Possibly Be This Eizouken...?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

scary ghost dog posted:

is titling the video “keep your hands off eizouken makes carole and tuesday look like dogshit” too long, or too inflammatory? maybe a more neutral “carole & tuesday VS the eizouken”...... might draw the wrong audience with that one though. eh ill worry about it after i finish the script

The first is far better than the second one. I don't know if that's the right phrasing but its the right lines you should go for. Its better to provoke a reaction in your audience even if its anger because it makes them more likely to click on your video. I would def click the first one to find out what the hell you're talking about if it appeared in my sidebar while I'd skip right over the second.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

"Let's face it: ghost hunting is ruined."

What were they THINKING! I mean, come on, ghost designers. A white sheet? Why not a blanket?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The first is far better than the second one. I don't know if that's the right phrasing but its the right lines you should go for. Its better to provoke a reaction in your audience even if its anger because it makes them more likely to click on your video. I would def click the first one to find out what the hell you're talking about if it appeared in my sidebar while I'd skip right over the second.

i dont want to come across as a troll but that is actually my thesis lol. it isnt really even exaggeration, i finished c&t thinking it was fine if a little cheesy, but after watching eizouken i couldnt help thinking about how shallow and meaningless c&t was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maybe something a bit 'softer' like "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is what Carole And Tuesday wanted to be"

I haven't seen C&T so I dunno how accurate that is but I do know Eizoken fuckin rules so any take that ends in 'watch Eizoken' is good and correct

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont want to come across as a troll but that is actually my thesis lol. it isnt really even exaggeration, i finished c&t thinking it was fine if a little cheesy, but after watching eizouken i couldnt help thinking about how shallow and meaningless c&t was

Make it slightly less inflammatory and rude but having your thesis as your title is the right instinct imo. Its strong, tells me what I'm going to be watching and makes me think I might get a takedown which is always fun to watch.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
eizouken what carole and tuesdon't

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ArfJason posted:

eizouken what carole and tuesdon't

good poo poo op thanks

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
finished Eizouken yesterday and its amazing, episode 8 rules so much (well, every movie debut episode tbf)

best intro too

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

ArfJason posted:

in any case its been a very long while since i last watched shaun but hes got a 40 min video on the death penalty. idk if ill get around to watching it but it's shaun so i assume it's good stuff

Hes my friend and i could just listen to him explain things for an hour if needed, great ep

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lucavi posted:

finished Eizouken yesterday and its amazing, episode 8 rules so much (well, every movie debut episode tbf)

best intro too

its changed the way i watch anime lol. next level poo poo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lucavi posted:

Hes my friend and i could just listen to him explain things for an hour if needed, great ep

agreed, but that bell curve video was too much even for me who used to listen to his eps while cooking or cleaning. in any case, hes really good

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shaun and Three Arrows narration supremacy.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
Agreed, Shaun should go episodical like Death Penalty pt 1 (20mins) and part 2 (20mins)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eizouken's like the magic school bus but it explains how anime works instead of the human body or the solar system or whatever. You could probably pass it off as educational programming without stretching the truth too much since its plot is just how are creative works made and how can you make money off them? Its super cool to see something realistic and clear-headed about having a vision and following your dreams and the necessity of compromising those things so you actually have a finished product by your deadline.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shaun and Three Arrows narration supremacy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In the interest of posting some smaller youtube channels here that I don't think I've seen mentioned much but I've found interesting to listen to, Broey Deschanel seems cool.

Her Tiger King/True Crime video popped up for me after I watched the one Quinton Reviews did and it covers similar points but it was cool similar analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAm55quXPM4

Some other videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzK2uVO12nI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iw3-ILqdA
The audio on this one get a bit janked near the end of this one, but I liked the analysis of how the groundwork was there for Dany's fall and the showrunners just dropped it all while rushing to wrap the series up as fast as they could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUC584ppNQ

Doug A James also popped up for me after watching some History Buffs stuff. He does a mix of historical stuff and a couple Harry Potter analysis videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdnRUNygO0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khu1aHnwtzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7JpZ5FIHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBQESsgbzY

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Eizouken's like the magic school bus but it explains how anime works instead of the human body or the solar system or whatever. You could probably pass it off as educational programming without stretching the truth too much since its plot is just how are creative works made and how can you make money off them? Its super cool to see something realistic and clear-headed about having a vision and following your dreams and the necessity of compromising those things so you actually have a finished product by your deadline.

Its super fun to watch when u know a bit of behind the scenes - production and give each girl the role they take as a personality trait (directors are like this, producers like that, etc)

also the way animators are portrayed is very realistic, as in the episode with the child watching her grandma throw tea... very personal

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
unrelated but Super Eyepatch Wolf does these emotional analysis that i just love, even if i havent watched the anime i will sit thru his analysis

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Comparing almost any anime to Eizouken seems unfair, tbh.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVena5MgShU

Super Eyepatch Wolf touches on Outlaw Star.

My experience with OS is more or less the same as everyone in Portugal with it: Sic brought the rights of broadcast for it after Cowboy Bebop (And the anime selection was honestly amazing! Picture getting subbed Trigun and Escaflowne and FLCL and Golden Boy broadcast on tv, it was like if your local otaku guy had a job in broadcasting choice on a local channel) , so we got the opposite experience from going to this to that. It was still the times when people frowned upon a sincere taste for it, so I didn't put much thought into it. It seems like one of those shows that people talked about a lot (Hell you can probably see Aisha's design pop here and there on more shows as more 90's anime dabblers get more comics and animation directing gigs.

I feel a bit bad about not watching it given how somewhat honest it was about itself, but I can totally see the color design and so on.

That being said: He really, really, really should watch Space Adventure Cobra if he honestly sees a good part of these concepts being fully original.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beefstew posted:

Comparing almost any anime to Eizouken seems unfair, tbh.

i wouldnt bother if carole & tuesday wasnt so similar, and even then i might not if it werent directed by shinichiro watanabe. space dandy was my #1 anime of all time before i saw eizouken

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i wouldnt bother if carole & tuesday wasnt so similar, and even then i might not if it werent directed by shinichiro watanabe. space dandy was my #1 anime of all time before i saw eizouken

High-five, Space Dandy buddy. That show did not get enough love.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

O don’t like anime that much but I’m down for anything the eizoken dude does. Idk, it’s a show bus master animator all about the love of animation. The floor on that show is pretty fuckin high.

There is apparently a second season coming out but if I’m honest I feel like the show was pretty perfect and doesn’t need more, but I’ll be happy if I’m proven wrong

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beefstew posted:

High-five, Space Dandy buddy. That show did not get enough love.

it was a straight masterpiece.....when i saw the “music in the darkness” episode i had this insane epiphany that the rare alien experiences time backwards, and when i watched the episode again i realized that the whole episode kind of unfolds backwards. the whole show is a super weird combination of low-brow and avant garde, ive never seen anything like it before or since

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Space Dandy was honestly one hell of a singular event, but given the sheer exercise in getting a different director of note for nearly every episode I can picture why people don't do this as much.

Still, show had an Heart Cocktail themed episode and another episode that was based on how much you liked a certain Casio Keyboard Demo Song. That's something quite else!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kunster posted:

Space Dandy was honestly one hell of a singular event, but given the sheer exercise in getting a different director of note for nearly every episode I can picture why people don't do this as much.

Still, show had an Heart Cocktail themed episode and another episode that was based on how much you liked a certain Casio Keyboard Demo Song. That's something quite else!

i think about the “world without sadness” episode a lot, and what it has to say about how pleasure cant exist without pain. i also think about the danceingians episode a lot because im 90% sure its about how much fun it is to do (certain) drugs

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i think about the “world without sadness” episode a lot, and what it has to say about how pleasure cant exist without pain. i also think about the danceingians episode a lot because im 90% sure its about how much fun it is to do (certain) drugs

"A World Without Sadness" might be one of my favorite anime episodes period, along with Evangelion's "Take Care of Yourself".

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVena5MgShU

Super Eyepatch Wolf touches on Outlaw Star.
These ruminations on his past got me thinking a lot about the other times he's brought his own personal experiences into his analyses. I'm fully aware that SEW is just a guy who makes videos I like, but I appreciate his willingness to quantify his own intimate reasons for enjoying or not enjoying a particular piece of media.

Here's the Minimum Banana Challenge for Donkey Kong Country 2 by Particular Mushroom. It's a very long video.

Edit: whenever somebody expresses their joy over their favorite characters getting into Smash, I can't help but pump my fist in understanding. I wasn't exactly begging for K. Rool, but I know exactly what Mushroom felt when he was talking over the first fight with him.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 10, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Broey Deschanel is a great username, and her videos sound great so I'll definitely take a look at them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Her Tiger King/True Crime video popped up for me after I watched the one Quinton Reviews did and it covers similar points but it was cool similar analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAm55quXPM4

This was a really good video! I've seen so many different hyper-critical pieces on Tiger King and somehow they've all managed to take different angles. It's unbelievable how much of a hatchet job that series is.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Supersonic Shine posted:

These ruminations on his past got me thinking a lot about the other times he's brought his own personal experiences into his analyses. I'm fully aware that SEW is just a guy who makes videos I like, but I appreciate his willingness to quantify his own intimate reasons for enjoying or not enjoying a particular piece of media.

I think this is a huge part of why I love SEW. He's very honest about what he likes and why he enjoys it, and even if I don't agree, I'm perfectly willing to let him explain his position. I can't say that about a lot of people.

quote:

Edit: whenever somebody expresses their joy over their favorite characters getting into Smash, I can't help but pump my fist in understanding. I wasn't exactly begging for K. Rool, but I know exactly what Mushroom felt when he was talking over the first fight with him.

I can never fault anyone for being happy about their fave character making it into Smash. That's a mark of accomplishment, and even if Sakurai isn't a fan, the character will still be handled better than the company who owns the rights to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kaiserbeamz and Super Eyepatch Wolf: the anime crossover I want but will never get.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DocDestructo takes on Star Crash!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Star Crash owns, but it's weird how little he mentions Elle who is easily the best clusterfuck of the film's many.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kunster posted:

That being said: He really, really, really should watch Space Adventure Cobra if he honestly sees a good part of these concepts being fully original.

Outlaw Star is interesting because in a lot of ways its a full-speed throwback to the Space Opera/Planetary Romance era of sci-fi, a la Flash Gordon or Dune or Lensman, which outside of star wars hasn’t really been a part of the public consciousness in a big way for decades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dune is coming back, though. I am super excited for the Villeneuve film.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arcsquad12 posted:

Villeneuve’s Dune seems (aesthetically, at least) to be leaning far away from its genre roots towards the more modern form of grounded science fiction, though. I kinda have a feeling it’s gonna be BR2049 all over again where it is slavishly faithful in all the ways that don’t matter while missing the core elements that made the source what it is.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!" is one of those rare pieces of media that's so good it's kind of infuriating?? "The rest of you jokers aren't even trying!!!" type thoughts enter the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Every time I think of Dune these days I think of Jodorowsky's Dune and what an amazing stylistic clusterfuck a film with a production design team of Mœbius, HR Giger, and Chris Foss, and starring Orson Wells, Salvador Dali, and Jodorowsky then-12 year old son as Paul Atreides would have been had it actually been made.