Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ivy talking about getting fired from Crane, Poole, & Schmidt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wscO0J4YHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw this on tumblr

https://thesuperheroesnetwork.tumblr.com/post/617596687292186624/starcitysirens-justice-league-dark-apokolips-war

And drat i want this to be in Harley Quinn. Hell I want everyone from DC to show up because i love how the show is able to take what its normally the super serious DC universe and tweak its nose. The mentioning of Jason Todd makes me want Red Hood to show up and just get dunked on for being such an edgelord.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's canon now, too!

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/john-constantine-bottomed-for-king-shark-and-thats-canon/

"KING SHARK IS A SHARRRRRK!"

He was voiced in the movie by John DiMaggio, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, I don't know if I'd say "fleshed out" given that we basically learn that Harvey only cares about his own image and promotion. Which was pretty clear from the last episode with Bane.

I'm not sure Gordon getting on steroids would be better. :v:

The main thing we now know is that Harvey was always like this. He sees no meaningful difference between being a politician and a mob boss except that one is more socially acceptable. We didn't get until now how deep-rooted his hunger for power and adulation was, and how that'll affect his behaviour going forward. Everything previous was explainable as just normal supervillain behaviour, but this preps us for things to get weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's canon now, too!

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/john-constantine-bottomed-for-king-shark-and-thats-canon/

"KING SHARK IS A SHARRRRRK!"

He was voiced in the movie by John DiMaggio, too.

That's amazing. I had not watched any of the DC movies after Killing Joke, because gently caress killing joke.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Seeing Harley's outfit in that scene makes me thank god we are moving away from pervy old men doing all the female costume designs. It's not perfect yet, but holy gently caress is it better than that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the show when it goes too dramatic (i.e. this episode and the end of last season) because that's not what I'm here for tbglh. The episode pivoting so that it was actually about Ivy all along is sweet, and blatantly them repositioning her as a genuine love interest, rather than as some pseudo whatever thing that I always got the sense she was in the comics or whatever.

It was a weird one, given that pretty much every joke that did turn up (mostly Gordon) felt unwelcome and annoying. Oh well, can't win them all.

Two Face just being a dick, now and forever, is a decent joke to be fair.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bane is Harvey's new Gordon.

Errraaaam a drat gdd cop.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xelkelvos posted:

There's definitely gonna be at least one more episode where some villain tries to "revive" The Joker and he reaches the brink and ends up staying normal.

They do this and the whole thing is a big joke about The Killing Joke.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the show when it goes too dramatic (i.e. this episode and the end of last season) because that's not what I'm here for tbglh. The episode pivoting so that it was actually about Ivy all along is sweet, and blatantly them repositioning her as a genuine love interest, rather than as some pseudo whatever thing that I always got the sense she was in the comics or whatever.

Harley and Ivy are married in the comics, so if the show lasts long enough for the eventual kite man/ivy breakup, they will probably head in that direction.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Well, I don't know if I'd say "fleshed out" given that we basically learn that Harvey only cares about his own image and promotion. Which was pretty clear from the last episode with Bane.

The show's central theme is counter to the usual Batman view of the characters and directly counter to the old animated series' portrayal of how Harley became who she is.

Most versions of Batman and his villains stick to the idea that all it takes is is one bad day to turn you into a super-hero or super-villain. In this show that applies to Joker, probably Batman, and no one else. Everyone seems to already 'be' the person they become, they're just nudged in one particular direction or another by circumstance and whether or not people that care about them take an interest.

That's why it's so important to show that this is true for Harvey as well. Usually, Harvey is portrayed as an honorable dude who legitimately cares on at least some level, only to snap after an accident/attack. In this show, he's always been Two-Face.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed. "Change is hard but possible," is a much better take on people than, "a single traumatic event turns you into a Super Villian/Hero."

I liked the episode, less of the funny but more of the solid character building. As someone else pointed it lays some groundwork for a future relationship now that Harley is twigged to the fact that those early emotional connections were mostly between her and Ivy, with Joker only coopting it by doing his usual bullshit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Paladin posted:

Most versions of Batman and his villains stick to the idea that all it takes is is one bad day to turn you into a super-hero or super-villain. In this show that applies to Joker, probably Batman, and no one else. Everyone seems to already 'be' the person they become, they're just nudged in one particular direction or another by circumstance and whether or not people that care about them take an interest.

This is a sidebar, but one I've wondered about a lot. While what you're saying is certainly true of a lot of Batman literature, I've always read the Joker's whole "one bad day" speech from the original Moore comic to be ironic. Anyone else agree?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So am I the only person who is down with Kivy? (I hate that I thought of it) Don’t get me wrong I’m also down for Ivy and Harley to be a thing, but I’m getting a lot of enjoyment watching these two broken goobers try and just figure things out and make it work.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I've come around on Kiteman and Ivy so I dread whatever happens in the future.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Chuck is so likable that I honestly forgot that Kiteman is supposed to be a villain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kiteman: hell yeah!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Warbird posted:

So am I the only person who is down with Kivy? (I hate that I thought of it) Don’t get me wrong I’m also down for Ivy and Harley to be a thing, but I’m getting a lot of enjoyment watching these two broken goobers try and just figure things out and make it work.

I'm with ya. They're so lovably awkward!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hell yeah to Kite-Man and Ivy; I hope that they don't break up, and that the two of them and Harley settle down into a nice, stable poly relationship :kimchi:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chuck is so likable that I honestly forgot that Kiteman is supposed to be a villain.

He was a goofy bank robber type in the comics rather than a terror so it's not really surprising.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember that most of Batman's classic villains from the Golden and Silver age were just elaborately dressed and themed thieves and robbers before they were elevated to more dangerous roles.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm okay if Harley and Ivy just remain the best of friends. Because Kite Man :hellyeah:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait what wow.

Kite man's a villain? I thought he was a hero in this, because of the way he acts and the having a nemesis thing. I thought he and Ivy were a bit weird because they were a hero and villain couple, and because he was so dumb he didn't see how it couldn't work and Ivy was just charmed by him in spite of herself and because she really appreciated any positive attention, particularly unconditional affection, even if it made her uncomfortable.

But yeah uh, I guess that's all still basically true...

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Wait what wow.

Kite man's a villain? I thought he was a hero in this, because of the way he acts and the having a nemesis thing. I thought he and Ivy were a bit weird because they were a hero and villain couple, and because he was so dumb he didn't see how it couldn't work and Ivy was just charmed by him in spite of herself and because she really appreciated any positive attention, particularly unconditional affection, even if it made her uncomfortable.

They are weird because hes a D-list villain and shes not. And he basically made it work through sheer hubris. Kite man is the best. Hell yeah. They meet at Penguins nephews Bar mitzvah, which Ivy originally doesn't want to go to because she knows some d-lister is going to want to do a heist with her. Which is exactly what Kiteman does.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kiteman reminds me of Aquaman's Rousing Song of Heroism - sure, he's a D-List, no power villain, but he has heart and balls and that's where it counts!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wait what wow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

One of the few good things from King's Batman run

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Looks like they just dropped the whole sort-of-dual-personality with Two-Face, and I don't think he has done any of his OCD checking of the coin flip.

I'm sort of disappointed, but I guess it stops the demonisation of ill mental health, by removing the tacked on labeling of "madnesses" attributed to Batman's rogues gallery?

Ivy is said to still have issues, but has been successful in seeking help, and her villainy is portrayed as, well, permissable villainy. If someone in an extravagant costume shot dead the entire board of Koch Industries, would anyone - other than people who wished that they, too, could be rich enough to be on the board of Koch Industries - really care?

Are any of the other villains shown really suffering from mental illness, other than that they casually kill people?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is a sidebar, but one I've wondered about a lot. While what you're saying is certainly true of a lot of Batman literature, I've always read the Joker's whole "one bad day" speech from the original Moore comic to be ironic. Anyone else agree?

This may have changed, but for the longest time, they tried to keep the Joker's origin multiple choice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

We didn't actually get Harley giving the Joker anything ferret-related in S1 or flashbacks, right?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LashLightning posted:

Looks like they just dropped the whole sort-of-dual-personality with Two-Face, and I don't think he has done any of his OCD checking of the coin flip.

I'm sort of disappointed, but I guess it stops the demonisation of ill mental health, by removing the tacked on labeling of "madnesses" attributed to Batman's rogues gallery?

I actually think the version of Two-Face here is much better than what you usually get with him- apart from the un-demonization of mental instability (for lack of a better phrase), there's a lot more of the whole 'two sides of the same coin' theme going on (again, for lack of a better phrase). This Harvey Dent was always a scumbag, always Two-Face, and he just presented his douchiness in different ways- even as a regular DA he was a smarmy politician, and all the acid did was allow himself to express himself more openly.

It's kind of how Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were presented in the original book- not as seperate personalities, but two sides of the same person, with the former simply being a more socially acceptable cover, as opposed to a wholly new personality.

EDIT: Made it clear what I was replying to.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 10, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LashLightning posted:

Are any of the other villains shown really suffering from mental illness, other than that they casually kill people?

Does Freeze acting like Nora is conscious and able to converse with people while she's frozen within a block of ice count?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does Freeze acting like Nora is conscious and able to converse with people while she's frozen within a block of ice count?

I'd say no, that was just a coping mechanism used to deal with the grief brought on by a loved ones chronic health problems. It might not be a particularly healthy coping mechanism, but it's not a symptom of a diagnosable mental illness.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

That assumes that he was mistaken when he said she was just being shy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

As we can see, Kite Man is robbing the 1% of trinkets, and not even hurting anyone. Ivy is fighting to protect plant life from the excesses of humanity. They're both heroes working outside of a corrupt system.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Xander77 posted:

We didn't actually get Harley giving the Joker anything ferret-related in S1 or flashbacks, right?

Not to Joker but ferrets were involved in Episode 4.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope this show lasts long enough for the Ventriloquist to show up. Model him after Jeff Dunham and have everybody become increasingly uncomfortable with how casually racist Scarface is getting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

I hope this show lasts long enough for the Ventriloquist to show up. Model him after Jeff Dunham and have everybody become increasingly uncomfortable with how casually racist Scarface is getting.

Oh hell yeah, please make this happen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also have the other Ventriloquist show up and when Scarface is in her hands, the puppet is decidedly less racist and/or creepy despite Wesker's complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Xelkelvos posted:

Also have the other Ventriloquist show up and when Scarface is in her hands, the puppet is decidedly less racist and/or creepy despite Wesker's complaints.

The two Ventriloquists fighting over custody of Scarface, much to Scarface's annoyance as he believes himself to be an adult.