Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I guess ps4 controllers are the hot new hording item, I knew I should'a got one at walmart for 40 when I had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone have experience playing music files over USB? I just learned this was a thing and it could really be my jam, since I don’t use Spotify much. Any real caveats to be mindful of (HDD size limits, powered vs not powered, etc)?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
should work as long as its formatted to fat32 and maybe exfat

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I never ever got the Destiny 2 appeal. It's so boring. Like, literally shooting the same enemy for ten minutes.

I tried it for that free weekend a while back and the aiming felt crazy floaty and vague compared to what I was heavily playing at the time (Titanfall 2). It also felt painfully slow and was THIRTY FRAMES PER SECOND so I was very much unimpressed and that's without even mentioning the actual stuff they want you to do in game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I can't speak for Destiny or whatever but EVERY game in existence feels floaty and vague compared to Titanfall 2, the best feeling game I've played.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Destiny is supposed to have good shooting mechanics. Decent AI. A amazing science fiction environment.

Is supposed to be superior to games with bad AI, because if you take the sniper, enemies take cover, enemies more around they are activelly trying to hunt you.
The weapons feel is the best in the genre. Sound design is good.

The game is supposed to be a hero action game, too.. where you have superpowers that can clean a entire room of enemies; is for this that the game is supposed to move very fast, almost like a Doom game.

The problem is Bungie is good at creating cool stuff, but bad at recognizing when they create something good. So Destiny 2 is bland at times.

Also any RPG game, you can't judge the entire game for a Level 1 character. On a RPG the first levels represent lack of options, bad guns, no powers. On most RPG games the more power you unlock, the more fun is the game. (Perhaps the exception is DDO where the first levels are kinda cool, with low magic fighting kobolds).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Started FF7R tonight, and the first hour is certainly promising. I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would - lots of things to juggle and to stay mindful of. I loved original FF7 back when it first came out. I played through it a couple times, and watched my brother play through it too, so I do recall most of the plot beats. I'm excited to see where it goes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

Started FF7R tonight, and the first hour is certainly promising. I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would - lots of things to juggle and to stay mindful of. I loved original FF7 back when it first came out. I played through it a couple times, and watched my brother play through it too, so I do recall most of the plot beats. I'm excited to see where it goes.

If Tifa asks you out I hope you'll do the right thing and have her wear something sporty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I can't speak for Destiny or whatever but EVERY game in existence feels floaty and vague compared to Titanfall 2, the best feeling game I've played.

Yeah it and Modern Warfare 2019 are the gold standard of console FPS controls for me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So I guess ps4 controllers are the hot new hording item, I knew I should'a got one at walmart for 40 when I had the chance.

All gaming stuff is going in waves right now as the supply chain gets backed up due to lots of people deciding that now is a good time to get into gaming

Every store in town was out of every console last week, then they all got shipments in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

precision posted:

All gaming stuff is going in waves right now as the supply chain gets backed up due to lots of people deciding that now is a good time to get into gaming

Every store in town was out of every console last week, then they all got shipments in.

All stuff in general is going in waves. Boom/bust cycles combined with just-in-time economic fulfillment models create very unstable and unpredictable phenomena within supply chains. One week it's toilet paper, the next week it's copies of FF7R.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

Don't watch Conan O'Brien for honest game reviews, what the gently caress are you on right now!

lol. the devs in that segment said the fight took 3 irl days and i believed them cos that one in ff12 took me 8 real hours. :shrug:

about to end ff13 and i cannot loving believe they teased such a huge rear end titan waltzing around the outskirts of the map only for him be some kinda good guy who gives you combat tests against owls. and you don't get to fight him at all. this is the real crime. got ff13-2 in the post but that and 13-3 better have some insane poo poo (no spoilers please) or i will never forgive square for squandering that gen.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i know a good dog when i see one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Good news everyone!

Streets of Rage 4 is getting physical releases (not the Limitedrungames.com one) in July, at least in Europe for PS4, Switch and Xbox One. GAME (I guess both UK and Spain) open the preorders of a standard version (reversible cover, keyring and art book) and a signature edition that includes Axel's bandana some pins and stuff like that.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/streets_of_rage_4_gets_another_physical_release_this_time_with_a_signature_edition

I already preordered the standard edition (34.95€) despite owning it digital on PSN. It's my way to show some extra support to the devs.

Edit: forgot to say that it's July 24th for its release.

honestly might go for this instead of tlous2.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'm gonna play Doom Eternal on the PS4 with a gamepad, rip me

its perfectly fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_B0kkpeGdI

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Destiny has the best shooting of any game on PC or console. Playing Call of Duty is weird because all the guns feel like toys and sound like toys and make little pif-pif-pif sounds. Game feel is the most important thing when choosing an FPS, because their are so many and sound and encounter design is so important.

Also absolute insane LMAO at “I hate Destiny you shoot at the same guys for 10 minutes, unlike Call of Duty, a game where every single enemy you fight is just the same middle-eastern or Slavic guy with an Assault rifle for the entire 20 hour campaign.” Destiny has 4 different alien races and they each have 4-5 different units with their own rules and strategies.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Moment to moment Destiny gameplay is so superior to any other shooter it's not funny, of course the series has shitloads of extremely major problems (the last time I logged in was months ago) but the gameplay definitely isn't one of them. I also lmao'd at that one guy saying you just shoot the same enemy for ages while heaping praise on BLOPS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

It has better plot and dev treatment for sure!

Just a little joke, don't want to start another derail :ohdear:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's the best game so far this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

. I also lmao'd at that one guy saying you just shoot the same enemy for ages while heaping praise on BLOPS

The boss fights in destiny are indescribably boring

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The boss fights in destiny are indescribably boring

I agree that they are with one person if you're grinding strikes, but there are some really fun ones with cool mechanics as well. It's a game that benefits greatly from having a crew, especially for the "raid" missions.

I played Destiny 1 and 2 to max level and played through the expansions. As a solo game it's probably a 7/10 experience since it looks and feels great but out-stays it's welcome a bit. As a team game with mates it's a 9 from me easily. It's so much fun as a group and it also does the thing I like in games where you can boot it up and start doing action co-op poo poo with little effort.

E: the multiplayer arena modes are also really fun

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just finished FF7R, this is probably the best looking PS4 game I've played. Funny how I keep saying that with most new AAA games that kept coming out this gen. I think GoW was the last one I said that about. I had no interest in the Remake during its development, but I am now for sure looking forward to the next part!

God drat am I glad to be out of Midgar. That place was always my least favorite location in the original. I dunno, I prefer my Final Fantasy games to be a bit more fantasy than sci-fi. And Zack was a welcome surprise for sure!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished FF7R, this is probably the best looking PS4 game I've played. Funny how I keep saying that with most new AAA games that kept coming out this gen. I think GoW was the last one I said that about. I had no interest in the Remake during its development, but I am now for sure looking forward to the next part!

God drat am I glad to be out of Midgar. That place was always my least favorite location in the original. I dunno, I prefer my Final Fantasy games to be a bit more fantasy than sci-fi. And Zack was a welcome surprise for sure!

I'm looking forward to Junon, Gold Saucer, and Wutai, personally.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I never ever got the Destiny 2 appeal. It's so boring. Like, literally shooting the same enemy for ten minutes.

I played it to completion at launch and it was fun, but our you indicated, very very repetitive.

I jumped back in when the expansions came out but after it went free to play it's kinda been hard to keep on top of it.

I haven't played it for about a year now, but when I went back in I was auto progressed up to level 750 and had a much more expansive world bombarding me. The current cap is level 1010 or something now.

Besides the floaty controls repetitive combat, that's the bit that gets me the most.

Originally the structure really felt like, do single player, get the plot beats, catch up with the story to it's current point then do multilayer.

Now it's like the plot went on without me, I've got all this new info, but now I need to screen poo poo out to go back and do the campaign because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BisterdDave posted:

I agree about it looking good except a lot of the textures on the surrounding stuff in the world looked very low res and muddy. All the main character models and the enemies were very well done. A lot of the NPCs looked bad too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rad Valtar posted:

I agree about it looking good except a lot of the textures on the surrounding stuff in the world looked very low res and muddy. All the main character models and the enemies were very well done. A lot of the NPCs looked bad too.

Yeah there's some bad parts. Like the randomly low textures in some spots, the background textures seem a bit lower res than they should be and some very obvious static models like then there's helicopters.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bust Rodd posted:

Destiny has the best shooting of any game on PC or console.

It was a wild choice to lead off your post with this, way to make everyone else ignore the rest of it :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think you can make an argument for destiny having the best shooting, it depends on what you like as an an individual. The Hawkmoon handcannon is one of my favourite game guns of all time.

E: I should say on console I've never played on PC, but friends tell me it was better on PC than with a controller. It's the second best console shooter to my mind.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wild that Bungie never licensed their tech, for however I feel about Destiny 2, it's a fantastic looking game. It was one of the first PS4 games I ever played and it was a real "next gen" experience

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was a wild choice to lead off your post with this, way to make everyone else ignore the rest of it :v:

Instead of insinuating that I’m, like, dumb for enjoying a game, why not offer a game you think has good shooting?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I tried Destiny 2 for about 30 minutes during some preview weekend and decided that was enough. Don't understand loot games where you spend 99% of the time not looking at your own character. Pointless!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Instead of insinuating that I’m, like, dumb for enjoying a game, why not offer a game you think has good shooting?

Fallout 4

:cool:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I tried Destiny 2 for about 30 minutes during some preview weekend and decided that was enough. Don't understand loot games where you spend 99% of the time not looking at your own character. Pointless!

This is why I stopped buying new clothes in 2014.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Someone sell me on PS VR

I have apparently 30sq FT of space and typically sit about 7.8 feet away from my 58" 4k tv

Can I use it on my PC or is it only something that works on the PS4?

I like the price, unlike the Valve Index or whatever for $1000. That's about $700 more than I'm willing to pay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone sell me on PS VR

I have apparently 30sq FT of space and typically sit about 7.8 feet away from my 58" 4k tv

I like the price, unlike the Valve Index or whatever for $1000. That's about $700 more than I'm willing to pay.

It's PlayStation only by default but third party software can make it run with a PC. I do not know if this process is dogshit or if the outcomes are good.

I don't have one, but a friend does. We honestly only ever use it when we get high and think it will be funny (which it 100% is).

Another friend has an oculus quest, which I'm going to say is easily the better VR experience, but it won't run complicated games and has other limitations. I heard you can get it to gel with a PC these days so it performs better.

Personally I wouldn't buy a VR rig, because I think they're still a bit gimmicky. If you are into it and want a cost effective and fun unit you can do worse for the money than PSVR. It does what it says on the tin and will deliver some fun times.

Personal anecdote: the first time I played PSVR I was in a robot. I didn't know the buttons and hit jump and it launched me forward and onto the roof of the area and I nearly threw up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JBP posted:

It's PlayStation only by default but third party software can make it run with a PC. I do not know if this process is dogshit or if the outcomes are good.

I don't have one, but a friend does. We honestly only ever use it when we get high and think it will be funny (which it 100% is).

Another friend has an oculus quest, which I'm going to say is easily the better VR experience, but it won't run complicated games and has other limitations. I heard you can get it to gel with a PC these days so it performs better.

Personally I wouldn't buy a VR rig, because I think they're still a bit gimmicky. If you are into it and want a cost effective and fun unit you can do worse for the money than PSVR. It does what it says on the tin and will deliver some fun times.

Personal anecdote: the first time I played PSVR I was in a robot. I didn't know the buttons and hit jump and it launched me forward and onto the roof of the area and I nearly threw up.

I dont really have local friends who own one so I can't just hang out with them and try it out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I dont really have local friends who own one so I can't just hang out with them and try it out.

Oh yeah I'm just trying to give you an idea of what it gets used for by us. I should also add that it gets less and less attention as time rolls on.

PSVR is cool and it's fun, but I don't feel like it's going to blow you away. The quest on the other hand impressed me a lot with the way it creates a virtual space for you to play in and how responsive the whole experience is.

I'll definitely investigate PSVR2 or whatever it will be on PS5 if it's priced well, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having the current PSVR. It's sick for Tetris effect tho

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Is this turn based or real time? I loved turn based games and loathe RTSes, and that video didn’t say for sure. Looks pretty cool though. :v:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's like SimCity, it moves in real time but you can pause whenever and issue instructions while paused

Yeah basically. It's kinda like a simcity scenario sorta thing. It's an interesting city builder/survival game. It's kinda hard initially and doesn't do a whole lot of hand-holding/tutorial stuff. I played around in endless mode for a bit to get a handle on the larger game mechanics after failing miserably multiple times to get a better handle on surviving the frozen wastes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone sell me on PS VR

It’s awesome. Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The thing about Destiny is that you can't play it casually, you're either in or out. If you're in, it's an endless stream of good gunplay, decent PVP, complex teamwork challenges, and an ongoing plot that ranges from hilariously portentous epic space opera to incredibly, enthrallingly strange high-concept sci-fi. If you're out, it's a sprawling mess of disconnected activities with really bad discovery, endless grinds to optimize poorly explained mechanics that appear and disappear at the developer's whim, lore that seems to have nothing to do with anything actually in the game if you can even find it, and a truly intimidating time investment to get to the point where you can do all the good parts.

The studio claims to be aware that the new player experience is terrible right now and to be working on it, but it's not in a good place yet.

The shooting really is amazing, though.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 10, 2020