Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The Geordo thing surprised me a few episodes ago because it did seem super aggressive. Here's the line in the anime:

He kisses her, and says that he'll leave it at that today, "but someday I will help myself to all of you." Creepy dude!

The same scene in the manga plays out much more kind-heartedly, I'd say:

So maybe the source material is a little ambiguous, or there's a translation issue somewhere along the way. My guess is that it's just a goofy Crunchroll translation. I hope so, anyway. This is otherwise a light, fluffy comedy and anime_geordo kind of takes you out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think theres a whole lot of nuanced with what he's saying, theres familiarity and can be confusing to someone as dense as her. He's telling her that one he's going to eat her rear end, because thats what a husband does to his wife.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Agronox posted:

The Geordo thing surprised me a few episodes ago because it did seem super aggressive. Here's the line in the anime:

He kisses her, and says that he'll leave it at that today, "but someday I will help myself to all of you." Creepy dude!

The same scene in the manga plays out much more kind-heartedly, I'd say:

So maybe the source material is a little ambiguous, or there's a translation issue somewhere along the way. My guess is that it's just a goofy Crunchroll translation. I hope so, anyway. This is otherwise a light, fluffy comedy and anime_geordo kind of takes you out of that.

Yep. And then Keith says to her "Listen to me. Please avoid seeing Prince Geordo alone from now on."

In this episode Keith comes running the second he hears from Alan that Geordo is taking Katarina to the lake alone.

Mordaedil posted:

You might be reading too much dark poo poo if you think it was a statement about intent to rape.

You mean like "history", "the news", and "the lived experiences of women I know"?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You mean like "history", "the news", and "the lived experiences of women I know"?
I know bro. Too loving well, at that. :sympathy:

On the flipside of things and to try and keep it show-centric, do take into account that, while the Prince is indeed a pushy rear end in a top hat, Keith is himself not completely unbiased on wanting to keep Bakarina to himself.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The darkest this series has gone is schoolyard bullying. I think it's safe to say we're not gonna be seeing any rape anytime soon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yes. It's a bit much for a fictionalized world made for fujoshis, isn't it?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordaedil posted:

Yes. It's a bit much for a fictionalized world made for fujoshis, isn't it?

Eh, I wouldn't hold it against them, especially if (as they've implied) they have had a bad experience or experiences with people acting like Geord, or people who wouldn't take no for an answer in general. I mean, yeah, Bakarina's obviously a fluffy comedy manga, but even taking the literary context won't reduce the uncomfortable emotional context.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im assuming Keiths motivation is mostly keeping Bakarina in a state of not realising people are into her since he needs to keep the competetion down. If Geordo manages to make Bakarina realise hes into her, Keiths chances are pretty slim since he still needs to get through Bakarinas head that hes not her bro only.
Basically it seems most arent is exactly playing fair here. Geordo himself uses his position of being engaged to Bakarina heavily to try to win the competetion and even he knows he has heavy chances to lose. Because he cant tell what the hell Bakarina will do next. Mary has her own scheme too it seems. Marisa is probably the fairest of them all since she seems to just try to bribe Bakarina with sweets. Alan, Nicole and Sophia arent even that much attempting anything it seems. Though i suspect Sophia will try to ship Bakarina with her brother since thats what she does in the game.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Iretep posted:

Marisa is probably the fairest of them all since she seems to just try to bribe Bakarina with sweets.

Goddamn Bakarina so strong she's seducing girls from another franchise.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Eh, I wouldn't hold it against them, especially if (as they've implied) they have had a bad experience or experiences with people acting like Geord, or people who wouldn't take no for an answer in general. I mean, yeah, Bakarina's obviously a fluffy comedy manga, but even taking the literary context won't reduce the uncomfortable emotional context.

I mean, it's not like I don't get where they are coming from, it's just I don't like to run into TW territory every time I sit down to enjoy something, it rots my mood. Same reason I can't stand stuff like Game of Thrones at its worst is because it goes into creep territory to excite the viewer and it puts me off big time.

I really can't blame them, when Geordie gets localized like that though.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Reminder that the otaku behind Katarina 100% thinks Geord is hot and loved his route and would probably be totally into it if she wasn't convinced Maria is predestined to steal his heart and kill/exile her.

Also while I get what the above poster is angling at there's kinda a fine line between expressing your reservations for a character archetype and making GBS threads on anyone who likes said character for their own reasons. People are allowed to like "pushy assholes" characters in a fujoshi anime/manga
(and people are allowed to dislike them, too!) but it's kinda gross to poo poo on them by saying that he's clearly a coded rapist that "Katarina should avoid lest [...]"

Keith is doing the exact same thing Mary does, trying to avoid anyone else getting ahead of him in wooing Katarina, with the primary threat in his view being her actual literal fiance.

On a slightly less grim note:

HONK

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I also got rapey vibes from that scene. I just rewatched it to confirm my kneejerk reaction, but I can see the other side of it as well. This was my thought process:

1. "I have no intention of breaking off our engagement" -> Catarina saying she's chill with him marrying someone else -> "It might be faster for me to come up with a fait accompli right now. You might be another year older, but you're still as defenseless as ever. With you like this, I could easily take you at any time." He then kisses her neck, this puts a bwuh?? face on Catarina. "I'll leave it at that for today, but someday, I'll help myself to all of you". Pretty creepy lines!

2. Keith rushes over and quickly wipes Catarina's neck. This snaps Catarina out of her bwah? face. Keith is suddenly very serious. Oh snap, does the Prince have some sort of creepy mind control magic or something?

3. Next, grey hair guy whose name I can never remember, comments on the neck. Oh dear. Is he aware of his brother's magical powers and perverse proclivities? Hmm!

4. This is the end of the episode, and also seems to be the end of Act 1, so this must be setting up something! Hrmm!!

Now, this was based on a lot of assumptions that are not true. I made a bunch of snap judgements in the span of ~15 seconds. As a woman you do have to have these thoughts, unfortunately. But!

1. He's clearly speaking very forward because he's trying to pierce through Catarina's dumbassery.
2. Keith wipes off the Prince's kiss because he's a jealous loser, not saving her from weird rape magic powder or something.
3. Keith's wipes just messed up her makeup, which is what Grey Hair is commenting on.
4. I could be wrong, but now that we're a few more episodes in this doesn't strike me as a "plot" show. It's a goofy slice of life comedy with a gimmick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, my read was just dude trying to make sexy talk to his Fiance.

But, I can extremely see how because of how she reacts naively, and her seeming indifference towards him as a serious romantic partner despite the engagement how one could make a darker read of that situation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not to have any spoilers, but we are about to head into a story arc, so it's not all slice of life stuff.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not to have any spoilers, but we are about to head into a story arc, so it's not all slice of life stuff.

There is a story arc that involves stuff beyond the romance route and doom flags Catarina's obsessed with and it's likely to start next episode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Iretep posted:

Marisa is probably the fairest of them all since she seems to just try to bribe Bakarina with sweets.
She's still trying to steal the precious thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I expect our protagonist to remain as ignorant of any plot going on around her as anything else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Georld is just trying to gently caress his fiancee and is flirting with her in a very close personal way that fits someone who is incredibly close for so long. His fiancee is just super dense and doesnt get that he's really into her (Which is the joke cause she talks about how hot and cool he is in the vn during the council meetings). Its not weird and the while bit about Keith trying to 'protect" her from Georld is that hes faking being an overprotective brother when hes really just trying to make sure the lady he likes doesnt get smooched by someone else. Georgio knows this and that's why all the catty bitchy lines about Keith's tenacity are there.

It's fine is what I'm saying. Bakarina is just impervious to believing people like like her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The thing with Geordo was that he was trying to put a hickey on her neck to "claim her" so anyone else who saw her would immediately know she has a lover she is intimate with. That's what he meant by "fait accompli." Yeah, you could see that as being creepy and possessive but basically he just wanted all her other suitors to back off. Keith tries to wipe it off (unsuccessfully) and the other guy notices and comments on it but Catarina is dumb and believed Keith that it was just a bug bite.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I read the manga first and I saw absolutely nothing rapey in that scene. Geord has been her good friend/fiance since they were literally children, he really, really likes her a lot, and he recognizes that she's both got a bunch of other people trying to get in there and is also enormously dense so he's trying to be very open about how he feels about her(which fails completely because she's denser than dark matter). Keith's reaction isn't "I have to protect my poor sister from the sexual predator!", it's "oh, poo poo, I have to take measures to make sure he can't get through Catarina's adamantium skull or else my own chances are likely gone because he's the official fiance".

That said, the Crunchyroll translation/interpretation is a lot less friendly/more aggressive, so I can absolutely see someone taking it in a very negative way. Based on the manga, though, I don't think the author's intent here is for Geord to be seen as some kind of villain or sex pest.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 12, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Keith's pretty creepy about it all as well, really. He's her brother, and has been since they were eight. Crushing on her is not good!
Even the most charitable interpretation, where he just wants to preserve the sibling relationship they have rather than having any interest in the contents of her skirts, requires him to be in denial about the idea that she might eventually want to settle down with someone and form a family unit.

Basically I'm perfectly happy for Keith and Geordo to keep entangling each other in their schemes and counter-schemes, and leave Catarina to be with her true, healthy love interest: all of the others simultaneously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

The thing with Geordo was that he was trying to put a hickey on her neck to "claim her" so anyone else who saw her would immediately know she has a lover she is intimate with. That's what he meant by "fait accompli." Yeah, you could see that as being creepy and possessive but basically he just wanted all her other suitors to back off. Keith tries to wipe it off (unsuccessfully) and the other guy notices and comments on it but Catarina is dumb and believed Keith that it was just a bug bite.

Is that what happened cause the animation just makes it look like a small kiss on the neck. To the point that Keith wiping off her neck just made the dark spot look like whatever victorian pancake makeup they're rocking got rubbed off.

Either way it's someone flirting with and smooching his fiancee, with the added caveat of doing it to annoy all the people he knows are also into her. Thematically speaking it's the same thing as his brother's whole "This Song Iss Called I Long For you (Catarina)" recital and both the characters and story treat it about as seriously.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Geordo has spent years trying to get through to her that he likes her and has been rebuffed by her intense denseness every time. That his most aggressive move so far is giving his fiance a hickey and saying he wants to do the deed later, presumably when they're married because they're engaged, isn't really rapey. I guess he was being overly dramatic about it but it still didn't get past her dense defenses. It'd maybe be rapey if she told him she didn't like him and didn't want to be with him, but she's been really obtuse with the "You can fall in love with someone else" lines which...aren't really a rejection, but boy is that probably discouraging.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Geordo has spent years trying to get through to her that he likes her and has been rebuffed by her intense denseness every time. That his most aggressive move so far is giving his fiance a hickey and saying he wants to do the deed later, presumably when they're married because they're engaged, isn't really rapey. I guess he was being overly dramatic about it but it still didn't get past her dense defenses. It'd maybe be rapey if she told him she didn't like him and didn't want to be with him, but she's been really obtuse with the "You can fall in love with someone else" lines which...aren't really a rejection, but boy is that probably discouraging.

There's also the fact that she's also into him as told to us by the 5 tiny catarina's in her head. she's just too dense to believe he could be falling for anyone but the Protagonist Girl.

It's just a strong power play to try and get his feelings across to his fiancee that just responded basically "Oh I know you're not really into me don't sweat it if you want to split it off". In the context of the two characters it makes sense and isn't really inappropriate at all.More so than say, the next scene where a character goes to her and says "YES I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO DANCE WITH YOU! I'VE BEEN READING A LOT OF EROTICA ABOUT LADIES SEDUCING OTHER LADIES LATELY! HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT???"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah, at this point Geordo could outright say he loves her from the bottom of his heart and wants to be with her forever and her inner monologue would say, "Well yeah, you like me NOW, until you fall in love with Maria because she's so amazing! I don't want to die!" He's got no way to get through to her with words so far so a hickey being the next step is, I dunno, pretty loving typical for a bunch of teenagers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Geordo: "No seriously. I Love you I want to marry you. Dear god woman I want to gently caress you. Please believe me"

Catarina, internal: "Hmmmmmmm, he's just being polite still after not catching me when I fell at age 8."

Geordo stands there, openly crying: "I....I love you so much you stupid moron."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tenebrais posted:

He's her brother, and has been since they were eight.
Step-brother, so the internet says it's kosher.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I got the feeling that Geordo doesnt think he can make her understand with words so hes trying to get her alone to show it physically.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paracelsus posted:

He's technically the kid of someone else in the family, so he's more like a cousin that her father took in to raise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Paracelsus posted:

It’s come full circle even

https://youtu.be/sxnJcZvuRK8

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

https://archiveofourown.org/works/20137468/chapters/47707282

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. That's so silly and yet so accurate. :cawg:

I kinda want to see a continuation of what's happening with the inner council.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Paracelsus posted:

IIRC her own mother supports Keith x Bakarina. Not sure why, but it does make sense that a status-obsessed woman like Mamarina would be shuddering at the thought of a farming queen (to the tune of 'Dancing Queen') being linked to her family. That said, if push comes to shove I don't really think she'd get in the way of whoever her daughter decides to marry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC her own mother supports Keith x Bakarina. Not sure why, but it does make sense that a status-obsessed woman like Mamarina would be shuddering at the thought of a farming queen (to the tune of 'Dancing Queen') being linked to her family. That said, if push comes to shove I don't really think she'd get in the way of whoever her daughter decides to marry.

Yeah I think her main priority is "Please someone take my stupid daughter."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Am I wrong or was Nicol the handsome dude who broke up the one meeting inside Katarina's brain?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

CommissarMega posted:

Her mother only wants to break off the engagement cause the thought of Katarina in the royal court horrifies her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

I kinda want to see a continuation of what's happening with the inner council.
klaxons blaring, alarms sounding, everything aflame as they try to process it, someone grabs the fire extinguisher

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Am I wrong or was Nicol the handsome dude who broke up the one meeting inside Katarina's brain?

Nicol is how Catarina envisions the count from the book she's reading.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nicol is how Catarina envisions the count from the book she's reading.

It's a neat detail how he's the only one whose attractiveness might be able to overpower Catarina's denseness. Even if the result is that she locks up and faints. Keith and Geordo would be jealous of him getting that much reaction out of her.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
latest episode already showed that even if nicol admits he likes her, her brain will shut down.