Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Are you a bad enough dude to not jerk off during a zoom meeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Alan Smithee posted:

Source you are quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceEurope/comments/ggb9bq/germany_masturbated_during_a_conference_call_and/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All you have to do to keep getting your paycheck is one Zoom conference per week. Can you do it?

I’m not sure if it’s funnier that he was jerking during a VTC or that he’d been looking forward to jerking as the highlight of his day.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alan Smithee posted:

Source you are quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceEurope/comments/ggb9bq/germany_masturbated_during_a_conference_call_and/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

It took awhile to get the right angle, get the lighting right, they saw me preparing, it wasn't a surprise. More like the highlight of their week.

And they should consider themselves lucky to be in the presence of such greatness. If they had a drive thru, I'd have shown them my X7 as well.

quote:

You've got a $17,000 Rolex. If you're a Rolex owner then act like a Rolex owner.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/rolex-tudor-4950143-6.html
https://old.reddit.com/r/WatchesCirclejerk/comments/dgex2z/never_mind_my_17000_rolex_just_get_me_my_fries/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 11, 2020

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Wow he is the most terrible

quote:

I am a real Rolex enthusiast. I have a pretty nice 6 Rolex collection that I have curated over the 25 years I've been into the hobby. See my profile for pics.

Unlike most enthusiasts, however, I also allow myself to take pleasure in the power of the Rolex brand as a status symbol. I like it when people notice my watches. I like it when others are instantly intimidated by my trappings of a successful life.

So I'm a bit of a split personality. It can confuse people, so I'm glad you asked. On the hardware side, I'm a straight arrow, I'm what you'd expect as a forum participant, I give many posters solid advice and technical information. On the status side, it comes across as trolling to some because forum narratives have led people to believe it is when it isn't. If you're not going to enjoy the status symbolism that comes as standard equipment with a Rolex, you're depriving yourself of half the fun. I embrace it. Let me know if that makes sense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tomfoolery posted:

His submission page on Reddit is just 176 posts of him wearing a different Rolex watch over the course of 4 years.

https://old.reddit.com/user/sporturawus/submitted/

quote:

We say you are using too many straws and your response is let’s shut down poor countries ??? Speaks volumes dude, you can pay for school but you can’t by class!!

quote:

I am wearing a $25,000 Rolex. Ask me if I care.

He also makes ~85k as an IT manager and spends all of his money on watches, car leases, wifi equipment, and speakers/speaker cables.

quote:

Your mistake is trying to apply “rationality” to an entirely emotional impulse purchase. We aren’t talking about milk, electricity, or other necessities. We are talking about men’s jewelry, frivolous baubles, luxury indulgences.

To those who can afford a Rolex, price simply doesn’t matter. And grey premiums are another luxury, allowing us to skip the lines and to be treated with dignity while others humiliate themselves. We pay for these types of privileges all the time, no different than paying $10,000 for a first class seat that arrives at its destination at the exact same time as those costing $299.

THESE ARE INVESTMENT WATCHES!

quote:

I paid $17,000 in 2018 for my $12,400 MSRP Daytona and could sell it tomorrow for $20,000. So, yes, it’s worth more than some arbitrary MSRP that’s nothing but a bunch of type on a spreadsheet. In the real world, you want a Daytona, you pay fair market value. Those who stick to the MSRP script aren’t serious buyers. They are bargain hunters. Yuck. I could never look at my wrist with pride if I paid MSRP for a unicorn.

Not the bubble nonsense again. There is no bubble because there is no inventory. There aren’t millions of tulips growing in Rolex garden. They are shut down. What were scarce are now downright impossible. Prices will go up, not down. Once the desperation private sales dry up, the greys will be the only ones with inventory.

Explaining why two indentical (literally identical) watches have a $35,000 difference in price.

It turns out, that there's $35,000 worth of enhanced and upgraded utility in the new version.

quote:

Fact is, Rolex has enhanced and upgraded the entire line in the last few years and that’s led to dramatic increases in interest. Not hype. Tangible enhancements. Not only do you have the usual group of new 30-40 year olds getting their promotions and their first Rolexes but you have the 30 million Rolex buyers of the last 30 years looking to upgrade. Rolex doesn’t need to make more than 1 million a year, so they don’t. And Rolex owners don’t want them to either. Turns out, we like wearing scarce trinkets.

quote:

My advice for getting into the hobby is this: Get a submariner. If you can't (more like won't) drop more than $9,999 because of some weird psychological hold in your brain, then you don't need to be in this hobby. Get the gently caress out. You can judge the value of a man's life by the answer to that question

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 11, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That guy really ticks me off

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

He’s clearly a troll parodying the kind of dumb rich people who are incapable of appreciating any watch that is not a Rolex.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love a dude wearing a submariner who's never been deeper than 10 feet.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

For those in this thread who don’t know, Rolex controls the supply of product so that if you want one of the popular models you either have to buy it at a huge markup from the grey market, or get on a years long waiting list at an authorized dealer.

Usually the only way to reduce the wait period is to buy other products from your dealer. I know of a guy who bought a $4,000 watch he didn’t want just because the sales person ordered him to, otherwise he wouldn’t even be added to the waiting list. He was selling the watch - a nice Tudor GMT - at a big loss because he didn’t want it because it’s not a Rolex. He never even bothered wearing it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tomfoolery posted:

He has to be a troll right? I’m not sure I want to live in a world where he isn’t. :ohdear:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have to admit I consider almost anyone actually wearing a watch to be a pretentious dong. The only people I ever see wearing them tend to be managers, the arrogant rich or old people for whom watch-wearing is a habit, and only the latter of those three groups can be excused.

At this point you're unlikely to ever be more than a few feet from something that can tell time, whether that's a computer screen, a TV or your cell phone, so watches are entirely for conspicious consumption, unless you're somewhere far afield like in the Antarctic or an impenetrable jungle, or somewhere out in the sticks enough for a reliable electricity supply to not be guaranteed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

do silly fitness tracking wristbands count? :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PurpleXVI posted:

At this point you're unlikely to ever be more than a few feet from something that can tell time, whether that's a computer screen, a TV or your cell phone, so watches are entirely for conspicious consumption, unless you're somewhere far afield like in the Antarctic or an impenetrable jungle, or somewhere out in the sticks enough for a reliable electricity supply to not be guaranteed.

Nah, checking the time on a watch is less rude than taking out my phone during a conversation or meeting (and much less likely to end up distracting me), and I can do it with both hands occupied while cooking or working on something else, or with gloves on outside in the winter. I just can’t find a watch I like, or I’d be back to wearing one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Animal posted:

He’s clearly a troll parodying the kind of dumb rich people who are incapable of appreciating any watch that is not a Rolex.

If he is trolling, then he is very dedicated to his craft. He's been posting the same things across 3 three different message boards for at least 14 years.

quote:

forums.watchuseek.com profile

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PurpleXVI posted:

A niche case, but the majority of people I know who've had a security clearance are in the habit of wearing watches.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit I consider almost anyone actually wearing a watch to be a pretentious dong. The only people I ever see wearing them tend to be managers, the arrogant rich or old people for whom watch-wearing is a habit, and only the latter of those three groups can be excused.

Now do this, except with burlap sacks replacing all clothing.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Nah, watches are cool and good and are a functional accessory to your wardrobe. Mechanical watches, specifically, are fascinating examples combining engineering and art. If you look hard enough you might be able to find a few models for less than $25k but everyone will look down on you according to Internet connoisseurs of haute horology.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

DeepBrain Chain is a decentralized AI computing platform - DBC is the utility token for transactions on the platform.

*... first artificial intelligence platform with a working product ... reduce about 70% of hardware cost by buying data and processor power on DBC network. ... privacy risk can be effectively avoided by harnessing the algorithm and immutability from on-chain smart contracts. ... “Blockchain + artificial intelligence will change all aspects of our lives”. ...a decentralized, low-cost, and private AI computing platform and also provide perfect peripheral products.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

A niche case, but the majority of people I know who've had a security clearance are in the habit of wearing watches.

Yup

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

PurpleXVI posted:

You don't need to get quite that far from civilization before having to drag out you phone to become a huge hassle and sometimes a straight up risk. Bicycling, having to wear gloves, any kind of activity near water just to name a few. Buying a Rolex for any of that is still crazy though... Submariner costs what and doesn't even tell you the depth, just the time???

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Nah, checking the time on a watch is less rude than taking out my phone during a conversation or meeting (and much less likely to end up distracting me), and I can do it with both hands occupied while cooking or working on something else, or with gloves on outside in the winter. I just can’t find a watch I like, or I’d be back to wearing one.

This, plus it's nice to be able to set reminder alarms on something that has a battery life of 8-10 years instead of 2-3 days, I'm a lot more confident that it's going to work. Also no job I've ever had has allowed me to keep a phone with me at work.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

WarMECH posted:

Nah, watches are cool and good and are a functional accessory to your wardrobe. Mechanical watches, specifically, are fascinating examples combining engineering and art. If you look hard enough you might be able to find a few models for less than $25k but everyone will look down on you according to Internet connoisseurs of haute horology.

I think the functional aspect to watches is being called into question.

I wear a watch with a date function. Both being able to tell the time and reference the date without pulling out a phone or finding a clock or checking a computer come in handy occasionally. It is mostly a fashion accessory though I guess.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

There's more to this story:

quote:

In many ways, it’s difficult to pin down exactly who was the “biggest loser” in what amounted as the greatest wealth transfer from disillusioned tech nerds to snake oil salesmen of all-time. But that’s only true if you ignore the immaculate failure that is DeepBrain Chain. DBC investors were definitely the biggest losers.

A major theme across 2017 ICO burnouts is wistful investors asking for more transparency. The good news for DeepBrain Chain followers is that the team is impressively transparent. The bad news is they are transparent about their status as a straight scam. DBC holders woke up to a brief message on the DBC official Medium page today. Quoting it wouldn’t do justice, here’s a screenshot:

Edit: The "Sorry AIM buyers" reference in that screenshot is for the people who, in addition to hodl'ing this scam, also put down $6k USD for a specialized DBC miner server. That for over two years never materialized.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 11, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

quote:

DeepBrain Chain is a decentralized AI computing platform - DBC is the utility token for transactions on the platform.

*... first artificial intelligence platform with a working product ... reduce about 70% of hardware cost by buying data and processor power on DBC network. ... privacy risk can be effectively avoided by harnessing the algorithm and immutability from on-chain smart contracts. ... “Blockchain + artificial intelligence will change all aspects of our lives”. ...a decentralized, low-cost, and private AI computing platform and also provide perfect peripheral products.
A nonsensical mishmash of tech buzzwords, so the fact that they exit scammed is about the least surprising thing about this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought for sure this was a typo:

quote:

Even as Delta and the other major airlines in the United States dramatically slash schedules, they are averaging an anemic 23 passengers on each domestic flight and losing $350 million to $400 million a day as expenses like payroll, rent and aircraft maintenance far exceed the money they are bringing in. Passenger traffic is down about 94 percent and half of the industry’s 6,215 planes are parked at major airports and desert airstrips, according to Airlines for America, a trade group.

quote:

Desperate to preserve cash, the airlines have also aggressively discouraged customers from seeking refunds, offering vouchers for future travel instead and attracting the ire of lawmakers. Legally, passengers are entitled to refunds for canceled flights and, at a hearing last week, Senator Richard Blumenthal, Democrat of Connecticut, described the practice of pushing vouchers instead as “misleading and sometimes deceptive.” Nicholas Calio, chief executive of the industry trade group Airlines for America, said that refunding all tickets could lead to bankruptcy.

We're definitely going to see some big name airline mergers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/business/airlines-coronavirus-bleak-future.html

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I think the functional aspect to watches is being called into question.

I wear a watch with a date function. Both being able to tell the time and reference the date without pulling out a phone or finding a clock or checking a computer come in handy occasionally. It is mostly a fashion accessory though I guess.

I meant it as an accessory or jewelry that also has a secondary function (telling time/date/etc.) as opposed to a bracelet or necklace that just looks pretty.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I thought for sure this was a typo:

We're definitely going to see some big name airline mergers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/business/airlines-coronavirus-bleak-future.html

It's twofold, it's easy to forget how many flights take off just in America every day, and also the cost of maintaining an airfleet, even if they aren't being used you can't just let a plane lapse without then having to recheck everything when you bring it back into service. I don't feel particularly bad for them but not surprised they're being crushed by such a large amount by ongoing expenses in addition to payroll. I also have no clue how terminals handle hangar space and gates but there has to be some ongoing cost there as well. If companies start to fold I wonder what's going to happen to all the material, both in airlines and in other companies whose business boils down to owning and keeping up expensive machinery to sell a service to others? Are they going to be scrapping planes, selling them off? Weird times, as always.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

threelemmings posted:

It's twofold, it's easy to forget how many flights take off just in America every day, and also the cost of maintaining an airfleet, even if they aren't being used you can't just let a plane lapse without then having to recheck everything when you bring it back into service. I don't feel particularly bad for them but not surprised they're being crushed by such a large amount by ongoing expenses in addition to payroll. I also have no clue how terminals handle hangar space and gates but there has to be some ongoing cost there as well. If companies start to fold I wonder what's going to happen to all the material, both in airlines and in other companies whose business boils down to owning and keeping up expensive machinery to sell a service to others? Are they going to be scrapping planes, selling them off? Weird times, as always.

Airlines sold off their planes long ago and now mostly just lease them from companies dedicated to that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

Check out this Casio, it's my jam: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Classic-Resin-Digital/dp/B000GAWSDG/

Super comfortable and light. So much better than pulling out your phone to check the time.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Airlines sold off their planes long ago and now mostly just lease them from companies dedicated to that.

I assume they still gotta pay the lease so I guess that just doubles the companies holding the bag then, lol. What a disaster.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somewhere between 40-50% of planes globally are leased according to a bunch of articles I read.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If anybody is in the market for a vacation home, it looks like AirBnB 'entrepreneur' are starting to offload their properties. It doesn't look like the market's crashed yet, but that can only be around the corner.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Heffer posted:

If anybody is in the market for a vacation home, it looks like AirBnB 'entrepreneur' are starting to offload their properties. It doesn't look like the market's crashed yet, but that can only be around the corner.

From a bunch of articles on this, although it seems it from internet sentiment, hosts just don't hold enough properties to appreciably affect housing market price averages.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Somewhere between 40-50% of planes globally are leased according to a bunch of articles I read.

Globally is the key word there. The prestige, state-owned airlines like Emirates, Air Singapore, Qatar Airways, etc own a much larger proportion of their fleet than pretty much every US airline. So they have less exposure, and they'll be propped up either way.

threelemmings posted:

I assume they still gotta pay the lease so I guess that just doubles the companies holding the bag then, lol. What a disaster.

Yup, that's a big part of the problem. Parking a plane you own is a lot cheaper than making lease payments on a plane you can't fly, and it's a big part of the reason these companies are burning cash at this rate. They took on more risk for a more financially efficient solution, and this is the result.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Inner Light posted:

From a bunch of articles on this, although it seems it from internet sentiment, hosts just don't hold enough properties to appreciably affect housing market price averages.

Even in areas where the main economy is due to tourism?

Elsewhere, I'd agree--things like AirBnB and non-zero property vacancy rates, while they add to the housing problem in many metros, mostly serve as scapegoats for people who do not want to address the cause of housing issues in booming areas across the US, but want something to pin the blame on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Globally is the key word there. The prestige, state-owned airlines like Emirates, Air Singapore, Qatar Airways, etc own a much larger proportion of their fleet than pretty much every US airline. So they have less exposure, and they'll be propped up either way.

Yup, that's a big part of the problem. Parking a plane you own is a lot cheaper than making lease payments on a plane you can't fly, and it's a big part of the reason these companies are burning cash at this rate. They took on more risk for a more financially efficient solution, and this is the result.

After reading a bunch more stuff on major US carriers they seem to mostly own. Southwest owns most their places and leases their airtran planes to delta. United is selling planes and doing lease backs to free up cash currently. I would be curious to see more info on the issue of leasing vs buying.

You are probably right that leasing planes is an issue but I would be curious how many planes that they own are "mortgaged". If you owe money you owe money.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inner Light posted:

Check out this Casio, it's my jam: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Classic-Resin-Digital/dp/B000GAWSDG/

Super comfortable and light. So much better than pulling out your phone to check the time.

I wear that almost every day now, and I'm wearing it now. I got it at first just to wear when I was needing a watch that could get damage without worrying, now it's a constant use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The resin bands always crack after a few years, but when they do it's easily replaced with a regular 18mm nylon strap and then you've got a watch that's indestructible and even lighter.