Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

serious suggestion for endlessmonotony: idk how long the ipod touch is gonna stick around but it's the same size as the original se and was updated fairly recently so i guess they're committing to supporting it for a while yet. could you get one of those and use it with a portable hotspot or something if your se kicks the bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I used to be a small phone wanter and didn't want anything bigger than the original SE, but then I got the 8 and realized its the perfect size. Like, unless you have literal child-sized hands, it is the perfect size, I promise you.

:same:

I stuck with my original SE for close to 3 years because I strongly preferred a small phone and the 5 is my favorite iPhone ever, but I was enjoying the phone less and less as iOS updates, apps, and most websites were targeted at larger display sizes. The mediocre battery life, even after I replaced the dying 2 year old battery, was never particularly great either. Then I got a XS to replace my SE was on its last legs and I've been very happy with Apple's newer phones ever since. I should have never held out as long as I did, but hindsight is 20/20.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have an iPhone 8 to sell but the back glass is cracked.

Swappa won’t let me sell it-any suggestions?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nwin posted:

eBay or SA Mart

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

nwin posted:

Someone on SA Mart just bought an iPhone for their sister that wanted something newer than a 5S but didn’t want to spend more than $200. I think those buyers wouldn’t necessarily care about the back - a case gets thrown on it anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has anyone tried Halide with the new SE for pet/item portraits? How well does it work? I saw their in-depth post on the technology, which is neat, but can't find any examples or reviews from anyone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has anyone tried Halide with the new SE for pet/item portraits? How well does it work? I saw their in-depth post on the technology, which is neat, but can't find any examples or reviews from anyone.

Try Focos for free to get an idea of what Halide can do.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Need some suggestions here, I have a SIM card that allows me to share data (personal hotspot) when it’s installed on an iPhone 6s but not when it’s in an iPhone X.

Does anyone have ideas about what could cause this - my carrier is saying everything’s ok from their end.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is the X on the same carrier as the 6s?

Assuming yes, if it were me, first thing I'd do is have a new SIM made.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is the X on the same carrier as the 6s?

Assuming yes, if it were me, first thing I'd do is have a new SIM made.

I was swapping the sim between the phones, both are unlocked. Yeah I might just ask for a new SIM card.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enabling tethers is a flag that the carrier has to set, maybe it's not actually on the SIM but is sent over the air at some interval? Or maybe only when a SIM is activated?

I guess either way a new SIM would fix it, but you can't do that maybe just leave it on the new phone for a while and see if it fixes on its own.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

xzzy posted:

Enabling tethers is a flag that the carrier has to set, maybe it's not actually on the SIM but is sent over the air at some interval? Or maybe only when a SIM is activated?

I guess either way a new SIM would fix it, but you can't do that maybe just leave it on the new phone for a while and see if it fixes on its own.

Okay I had no idea iPhone did this.

Suddenly I'm glad about using android I guess?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

What, tethering being a carrier controlled option? It's been like that forever, including on Android (though because Android is a lovely OS with swiss cheese security holes and a wild west app store, it's always been easier to work around).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Carriers can block tethering on android as well.

That being said resetting network settings seems to have worked this time. Not sure what changed but I’ll take it as it hasn’t been working for weeks - it just didn’t really matter because I was at home!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LODGE NORTH posted:

Someone on SA Mart just bought an iPhone for their sister that wanted something newer than a 5S but didn’t want to spend more than $200. I think those buyers wouldn’t necessarily care about the back - a case gets thrown on it anyway.

iPhone 8 64gb with a cracked back. Any idea what someone would pay?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah every line has feature codes enabled on it at the network. Stuff like allowing particular types of communication like international calling, text, hotspots, etc. etc.

Those could get hosed up during activation, or if SIMs are getting passed around, and sometimes the only intervention is calling in to an agent that actually has access to a tool that can toggle the code.

Resetting network settings is usually the "turn it on and turn it off" advice for these issues.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

That's genuinely pretty hilarious to me.

Then again I'm using lineageOS so yeah dunno.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Private Speech posted:

I would say janitoring your phone with an open source OS is even more lol worthy than having to press a button on a phone to push down some settings from the carrier.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I realise you’re doing this deliberately but your carrier can disable data sharing regardless of the android fork.

The most you can do is make it harder for them to tell your doing it- although there’s no foolproof way if they really care.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would say janitoring your phone with an open source OS is even more lol worthy than having to press a button on a phone to push down some settings from the carrier.

What if your carrier doesn't allow it or charges for it though.

I've got other reasons to run the os anyway.

e: I should probably google how it works, never occurred to me it's even a thing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Private Speech posted:

If you’re responding to my post that’s less about the device and more about the SIM and the network.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah looking at it I guess you need to use a VPN to get around it if it's done on a network level. I don't see how it could reasonably block me using OpenVPN to a VPS on a large hosting provider (which is what I do either way, it's like £2 a month). Without blocking all VPN traffic, anyway, which does not seem like something that an operator would do these days.

Still super weird that it's a thing, I've never seen that here in the UK/EU.

Apparently there's os-specific blocking as well though, when it's a carrier customised distribution, and ios has it built-in. Supposedly it asks the operator network if tethering is enabled and disables it if not, but it's just a software block.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Yeah looking at it I guess you need to use a VPN to get around it if it's done on a network level. I don't see how it could reasonably block me using OpenVPN to a VPS on a large hosting provider (which is what I do anyway, it's like £2 a month). Without blocking all VPN traffic, anyway, which does not seem like something that an operator would do these days.

Still super weird that it's a thing, I've never seen that here in the UK/EU.

Apparently there's os-specific blocking as well though, when it's a carrier customised distribution.

Yeah I guess a VPN would do it, but they have their own security issues.

Anyway it used to be normal for UK carriers to block tethering, it’s only since 2015 or so that allowing it became standard.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah I guess a VPN would do it, but they have their own security issues.

Anyway it used to be normal for UK carriers to block tethering, it’s only since 2015 or so that allowing it became standard.

I've been with EE (formerly t-mobile) since 2011 and never had problems with it.

e: As for VPN I don't think OpenVPN has had any major security vulnerabilities that wouldn't be immediately patched, unlike the commercial "VPN" services. It does require some server janitoring to set up to be fair.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 11, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bobfather posted:

Try Focos for free to get an idea of what Halide can do.

Thanks. Can any other apps do this stuff? I already own so many photography apps from over the years.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks. Can any other apps do this stuff? I already own so many photography apps from over the years.

Focos and Halide are the most well-known. Focos can do a ton for free, so I use it without the IAP.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone with an Echo Plus able to pair their SE 2020 with it? I go through the steps but Alexa just keeps saying it can't find a device even though it shows as paired in my phone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bobfather posted:

Focos and Halide are the most well-known. Focos can do a ton for free, so I use it without the IAP.

Not really impressed with how Focos does it. Does Halide do it better?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not really impressed with how Focos does it. Does Halide do it better?

No clue, but probably not. The new SE does computational portrait photography by generating fake depth maps using the single camera sensor. Therefore, I would expect the same fake data would be available to every app. Apple just doesn’t natively do it for animals and objects because it’s a way to segment features for more expensive devices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't realize screen time counted notifications too, and seeing I got 1,200 of the things on a day last week confirms my gut instinct that "IT NEVER BLOODY ENDS" as that's approaching 1x per minute territory.

Speaking of tracking, is there some weird bug that makes it think Reminders is constantly in use? Previously it was claiming it was in use for like 19h a day, which seems more than the 0m a day I actually use it for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So my mom's 2nd gen SE decided to die overnight and is no longer charging. Won't even boot to recovery/dfu. I try to set up a repair but Puerto Rico is not an eligible address so I guess our only option is to have them mail me the phone so I can then send it, hopefully get it fixed, then mail it back to them?

Come the gently caress on it's 2020 why am I still dealing with this poo poo.

EDIT: looking some more and you straight up can’t even get AppleCare+ in PR. Cool.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 12, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I don't know what is going on, but I was importing photos off my wife's phone using Image Capture on my Mac, and on her phone it says her photo library is about 35GB, but when I imported everything using image capture, on my laptop its about 12GB. Number of items seems to line up that everything is accounted for, nothing in here recently deleted items on her phone. Is there something that the iPhone does that would cause this, maybe duplicate images (like a raw/heic and jpg copy) until they are imported?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My guess is it just pulled a jpeg for the heic images which is why you see a difference in space.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
When using the Outlook app should it be able to wake the phone up to give notifications?

My calendar events aren’t popping up and I’m not sure why. I have everything turned on in notifications apart from badges in Settings and in the app.

Any ideas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So my mom's 2nd gen SE decided to die overnight and is no longer charging. Won't even boot to recovery/dfu. I try to set up a repair but Puerto Rico is not an eligible address so I guess our only option is to have them mail me the phone so I can then send it, hopefully get it fixed, then mail it back to them?

Come the gently caress on it's 2020 why am I still dealing with this poo poo.

EDIT: looking some more and you straight up can’t even get AppleCare+ in PR. Cool.

That sucks on not being able to get AppleCare. For the repair itself, I would assume it would at least be slightly easier if it wasn’t for coronavirus.

Apple partners with Best Buy for some repairs now, are they on Puerto Rico ?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

That sucks on not being able to get AppleCare. For the repair itself, I would assume it would at least be slightly easier if it wasn’t for coronavirus.

Apple partners with Best Buy for some repairs now, are they on Puerto Rico ?

Yeah but in-store anything remain closed there for a little while more. Just not a great time to have a phone break!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah but in-store anything remain closed there for a little while more. Just not a great time to have a phone break!

Yeah, not to defend Apple too much (I have no idea if they underserve Puerto Rico or not, but I assume it’s def possible), but that’s the correct analysis, the timing just sucks. And the timing sucks, but It is safer for everyone to mail off, then receive right now. My store (not apple) is closed too, and while I agree phones are and should be considered essential, it’s possible to be managed without a retail store way easier than say, groceries.

That said, it’ll be stressful if that is her only way of communication . Does she have an iPad or computer that she can temporarily use as her main communication device ? Or her old phone ?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mom gave her old phone to her sister since they didn't have one at all. Mom still has her iPad and my father's phone is fine so she'll be good for a few weeks. I was just annoyed that she could login to apple go through the set up a repair process and make it all the way to the shipping screen (where her address is pre-filled since it's where the phone was delivered) to find out that she can't pick PR as a state and continue. not to mention this was her mother's day gift and it's already borked :lol:

No worries, though. They already mailed me the phone so I'll get it swapped up here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
On a two month old iPhone 11 Pro:

This week Google Maps has been giving me trouble in terms of accurately tracking my position for a few minutes at a time a couple times a day but today no GPS app is able to track me right.

I’m a courier and use RoadWarrior to plot my routes and use Maps or Google Maps to navigate, and this is really frustrating. The phone still finds me on a map accurately every time I pull up a map app, but the app won’t update in real time as I drive. It’ll freeze for 5-15 seconds, warp up to where I am and then freeze up again.

It’s been awful all day, and I did update last night but I was seeing this exact behavior yesterday, it just didn’t last long and wouldn’t happen at all in Apple’s Maps.

Is this what a dying GPS looks like or is this just buggy software? I’ve rebooted the phone, turned Location Services off and on again, same poo poo.

e: and now it’s working correctly. What in the world.

e2: broken again. This is incredibly annoying.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Well, it's finally happened: I shattered the back of my iPhone XR. This is the first time I've broken one of my phones, going all the way back to the plastic iPhone 3G. It's in a case...is there anything I need to worry about other than the fact that I feel like my phone is tainted for some reason?