Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does new dungeons and dragons still do the whole “half-orcs get -2 intelligence, the average half-orc is just plain dumber than the average human, sorry libs” thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Does new dungeons and dragons still do the whole “half-orcs get -2 intelligence, the average half-orc is just plain dumber than the average human, sorry libs” thing?

races only get bonuses in the latest version but there's still racial stat modifiers yeah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s least disgusting, “lowlander humans get +1 charisma and highlander humans get +1 constitution,” or “male humans get +1 strength and female humans get +1 dexterity”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

If I was interested in Final Fantasy VII Remake, but never played the original, should I play the original first?

I played Remake first, finished that and then played Original and finished it over the weekend. Both were great games. VII original holds up really well except for the graphics.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

If I was interested in Final Fantasy VII Remake, but never played the original, should I play the original first?

you should play it cuz its a good game & different experience to the remake. but don't feel like you have to in order to enjoy the remake

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I played Remake first, finished that and then played Original and finished it over the weekend. Both were great games. VII original holds up really well except for the graphics.

i will stan those textureless polygons forever, ff7 has some really great enemy design

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Im looking into WoW, and having never played a Warcraft its surprisingly difficult for me to get a handle on what the Alliance and the Horde are. The descriptions of them are very vague on what their deal is and then move on to what races are allowed in them. Is it really just a straight up race war?

the horde are a mix of downtrodden natives and immigrants and the alliance are Basically Nazis

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Which races are the good ones?

every race has a sub-faction that's evil, even tauren, but i'd rank them this way from most good to least good also i am not including allied races cause they dont fuckin count

tauren
draenei
pandaren
dwarf
troll
worgen
gnome
night elf
orc
blood elf
human
goblin
forsaken

tauren, draenei and pandaren are the only ones i'd call properly Good aligned, dwarf to gnome is neutral mostly, and the rest are either secretly scheming war crimes or blatantly committing war crimes on a regular basis

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everquest 2 has my favorite selection of fantasy races in a video game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Looper posted:

i will stan those textureless polygons forever, ff7 has some really great enemy design

FF in general has great enemy design, but one of my major concerns would be that all these textureless weirdos from ff7 would be toned down or removed for the remake. That they're not only in but are even celebrated is fantastic

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

The birth of somethingawful dot com

EDIT:
Oh, and I purchased Final Fantasy VII Remake this afternoon and it's downloading now. I'm excited, because it sounds very much to be in my lane.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stux posted:

the horde are a mix of downtrodden natives and immigrants and the alliance are Basically Nazis

The Horde are European colonists and the Alliance are native Americans.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what I am talking about!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

no its the thing i said

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stux posted:

no its the thing i said

The Orcs were an invading colonial force that believed they had divine mandate to slaughter the inhabitants of an unexplored new world and seize it's resources due to the inherent inferiority of it's inhabitants.

warcraft is a surprisingly cutting criticism on the evils of colonialism.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Garrosh did nothing!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any thread for Guns of Icarus: Alliance? Search gives me a bunch of useless results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Hour posted:

Garrosh did nothing!

Same

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

The Orcs were an invading colonial force that believed they had divine mandate to slaughter the inhabitants of an unexplored new world and seize it's resources due to the inherent inferiority of it's inhabitants.

warcraft is a surprisingly cutting criticism on the evils of colonialism.

now that's quite a take

i'm trying to think of an argument against it but we'd have to hash out the proper definitions of things like demonic corruption and i can't stop laughing because it's all so stupid

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Weren't the Orcs slaves or am I thinking of something else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WoW doesn't really support a rigorous postcolonial reading as all the conceivable analogues you'd invent are not consistent with one another. There are pieces here and there but not enough to create a consistent thesis beyond something that would impress a second-year undergraduate.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The way they did elf racism in Dragon Age was really lame.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Knife-ears is a funny slur

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stux posted:

Cuntellectual posted:

Somebody just tell me what kind of elf to be

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sexy elf

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
cow elf

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warhammer has you taken care of.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dead elf

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My character in FFXIV is an elf elezen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All elfs are sexy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Night elves have a chance to do a front somersault when jumping, blood elves have a chance to do ballerina spin, pick your fave

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Gripweed posted:

Be an Elezen and go to Eorzea in FFXIV instead

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Blizzard, in a never-ending attempt to ensure the audience are aware that both sides are just bad, turned the Naaru - literal beings of light and supposed goodness - into ethnic cleansing Nazis. The entire Mag'har allied race scenario is about how the Mag'har have to flee their homeworld of Draenor because the Naaru decided to launch a racewar and exterminate their peaceful society. The entire scenario is just a tower defense where Naaru slaughter women and children using tanks and space-age technology while you try to keep them at bay using a piddly stone catapult. This is after an entire expansion was written (Warlords of Draenor) mending the wounds between the races of Draenor where they swear they'll never fight again.

Edit: Mag'har are just brown orcs.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jay Rust posted:

Knife-ears is a funny slur

I think it’d be pretty kickass to have ears as sharp as knives, or if not that, then at least have my looks be associated with a deadly tool and/or weapon

May 8, 2006

the most entertaining thing about wow these days, imo, is their long form tantrum over flying which I assume will be entering it's 4th expansion soon

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

now that's quite a take

i'm trying to think of an argument against it but we'd have to hash out the proper definitions of things like demonic corruption and i can't stop laughing because it's all so stupid

Christians partake in the blood of Christ as orcs partake in the blood of Mannoroth, really makes you think!

Gripweed posted:

The same kind as your friends are.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Blizzard, in a never-ending attempt to ensure the audience are aware that both sides are just bad, turned the Naaru - literal beings of light and supposed goodness - into ethnic cleansing Nazis. The entire Mag'har allied race scenario is about how the Mag'har have to flee their homeworld of Draenor because the Naaru decided to launch a racewar and exterminate their peaceful society. The entire scenario is just a tower defense where Naaru slaughter women and children using tanks and space-age technology while you try to keep them at bay using a piddly stone catapult. This is after an entire expansion was written (Warlords of Draenor) mending the wounds between the races of Draenor where they swear they'll never fight again.

Edit: Mag'har are just brown orcs.

I forget, was this before or after the orcs literally paved a highway out of the bones of dead draenei

non-hyperbolic.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 11, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't forget the part where a sexy woman is corrupted by evil because Blizzard likes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sat down to play runeterra with a friend, and amazingly discovered you can't play with people outside of your region??