Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Anthony Davis would be a better 5 for that lineup and is also a better player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why is Kareem not on there at all

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Metapod posted:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dray has probably been the most valuable playoff center for most of the 2010s but yeah for an 82 game regular season he's not close.

Paul should also be the 2000s PG over Nash although these are always hard for guys who entire the league mid decade.

For 90s I think Malone and Barkley have pretty similar peaks but Malone was good for the entire decade while Barkley was starting to fade pretty fast by like 96 or so.

Metapod posted:

Mashing the pre-80s into one group really fucks him because his best run was in the 70s but yeah even then he was better than Russell.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

2000s not having KG or Dirk is rough, but it's hard to argue Shaq and Duncan.
2010s I am not sure I'd put Dray though I see the argument. Gobert or Marc Gasol is probably better.

Duncan played center for most of his career. Shaq being there makes sense if it's about individual player peak season and not them over the decade. If it's the player over the decade, Duncan belongs there over Shaq. If it's about play over the whole decade and we rightfully put Duncan at center, Dirk rightfully goes in the PF slot. (Though some would argue KG.)

Shaq was overall better throughout the 90s than the 00s. However, the early 00s could be considered some of his best years.

If it's by peak season and not overall play in the decade, CP3 belongs on the list over Nash. However, if it's play over the decade, Nash belongs there over CP3.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 11, 2020

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Draymond over Anthony Davis is just flat out stupid

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

good list, AD is a fraud.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Love having a lineup of 4 hall of famers driving and dishing to an open Draymond Green at the 3 point line all game long

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Lockback posted:

2010s I am not sure I'd put Dray though I see the argument. Gobert or Marc Gasol is probably better.

The 2010 team would be based on running 80 Curry-Lebron high screens a game. People can barely guard Curry and Green + spacing - it would be impossible to stop Lebron on the 4-on-3.

Which means Dray can't play because he can't shoot and would leave KD and Harden standing in the corners.

This year's olympics would have been able to throw out a lineup of
Curry
Klay
Kawhi
KD
Lebron

If Klay/Kawhi/KD are ok with focusing and defense and hitting wide open 3's I don't see how anyone even competes with that team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

leaving both wilt and kareem off the pre 80s list for bill russell is a travesty

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also cp3 getting left off entirely is also pretty bad (but mostly a product of the way they constructed the lists)

e: also also havlicek was the original chucker and elgin baylor was a 6’5 sf why are they both on the team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The 2010s list should probably be

Cp3
Russ
Lebron
Kd
Bosh

E: 00s would switch kobe with wade and Timmy with kg personally but those are both good

80s and 90s look good could easily debate the 5 for both though.

Pre 80s should absolutely have Kareem and dr j

Metapod fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 11, 2020

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Pre-80s can't have Kareem because the center is definitely Wilt

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Put CP or KG or Dirk in Kobe's spot

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TIL Fox News' streaming service just released a dumb documentary.

"It’s about Jeff Hornacek.

Defending Michael Jordan...The show lasts for a little more than 16 minutes and is hosted by Jeff’s daughter, Abby Hornacek"
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/11/21252546/guarding-jordan-is-just-about-failing-to-guard-michael-jordan

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1259833152803127296

I don't know who this guy is but that's pretty cool. I am surprised the G-League is a better fit than playing in Europe or Asia professionally for a year but its cool that G-League is competing pretty strongly for prospects.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

KD twitter fighting with randos is way healthier than just about anything Jordan did, imo.

I don't particularly like pineapple on pizza (but it doesn't make me mad or anything) but I do like it with actually hot jalapenos.

Be the change. Post your Baklava opinions for us to ridicule.

Persian baklava with rosewater/pistachios ftw

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Dwight had the highest peak in the 2010s for a 5

No Kareem or Wilt pre 80s is unconscionable

Wade was better than Kobe in the 2000s

You could quibble with a lot of others (90s pf and c, no dirk or CP3) but they’re defensible

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

You could quibble with a lot of others (90s pf and c, no dirk or CP3) but they’re defensible

I'm of the opinion that Kobe is a bit overrated but no way was Wade better throughout the 00s than Kobe. Kobe had a better peak and was better in more seasons throughout the decade.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

Dwight only had a couple of his truly great years in the 2010s though and then he was a shell of himself. His peak straddled the 00s and 10s so he's one of the guys who gets screwed when you try to make an all decade team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

yeah hakeem is pretty much The Center of the 90s and i'd probably put him above anyone else (even though i think david robinson was ahead of his time and gets unfairly overlooked because hakeem cooked him in 95) but barkley over karl malone is pretty bad

the more i look at the list the less i like it

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
All the Pro D-League signed people are going to be on 1 team right?

That team trains together and plays 10 or so games vs regular D-League teams?

It would be cool if they could get enough for at least 2 squads. Get some rivalry stuff going vs each squad. Air the games. I feel like in the future we are going to get some banana boat squads who will super team it up in Free Agency because they ran in D-League Pro together. Will be great to watch evolve.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Athanatos posted:

All the Pro D-League signed people are going to be on 1 team right?

That team trains together and plays 10 or so games vs regular D-League teams?

It would be cool if they could get enough for at least 2 squads. Get some rivalry stuff going vs each squad. Air the games. I feel like in the future we are going to get some banana boat squads who will super team it up in Free Agency because they ran in D-League Pro together. Will be great to watch evolve.

Yeah it's just the one team. They've said they'd like to grow it to a separate division within the g-league but we'll see. Probably depends on how well it works and when they can finally kill the one and done rule. Of the current group Green is the only one who was really considered a lottery type prospect but they're still chasing some other big names and it will probably grow if he winds up doing well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Dwight only had a couple of his truly great years in the 2010s though and then he was a shell of himself. His peak straddled the 00s and 10s so he's one of the guys who gets screwed when you try to make an all decade team.

Yeah it’s tough for those guys for sure. Obviously this kind of stuff is always going to turn on what you value/how you conceptualize the question. I would take 2010-12 Dwight over any of the other centers this decade, but certainly you could argue that his poor back half of the decade means other guys accomplished more overall.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Declan MacManus posted:

leaving both wilt and kareem off the pre 80s list for bill russell is a travesty

Put both of them there, get KAJ to play PF or something.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I was thinking about suggesting that maybe Boogie's the center of the 2010s, but basketball reference says he only has about 80 more minutes than AD which is wild to me, but I guess the past couple of seasons really added up even with being drafted 2 years earlier

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Boogie was good but winning has to count for at least a little

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

Look are we really going to hold it against the guy that he played in the Western Conference and had Kosta Koufos, Rajon Rondo, and Marco as his one big free agency acquisition help

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would say that Gobert is the center of the 2010s, but I guess he's another victim of the "peak spread across two decades" thing, because you can't factor in his ability to Shut Down The Entire League

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Do any non-Celtics fans actually believe Bill Russell was better than Wilt?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Metapod posted:

also wilt??? i mean wow

e: oh i'm already late to ths. see ya next week everyone

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Do any non-Celtics fans actually believe Bill Russell was better than Wilt?

Most people, probably? If you mostly talk about sports somewhere like here it's easy to forget how much most fans care about rings and head to head wins. And it was definitely the opinion of the majority people at the time.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Metapod posted:

Because Kareem is a whiny little punk plus 36 year old Wilt outplayed him so there's no universe where you take a soft no defense (see airplane) center over the most athletic big man of all time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Buddy if you think that about kareem I have some things to tell you about wilt lol

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Look are we really going to hold it against the guy that he played in the Western Conference and had Kosta Koufos, Rajon Rondo, and Marco as his one big free agency acquisition help

A little

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I would say that Gobert is the center of the 2010s, but I guess he's another victim of the "peak spread across two decades" thing, because you can't factor in his ability to Shut Down The Entire League

peak spread across the entire team

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

peak spread across the entire team

lmao

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

Then why are some people going to bat for AD?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
One year later, this article was very on the nose:

Dave Feschuk posted:

It was a snapshot of Toronto basketball history when the ceiling was assumed to be unlimited, the prosperity seemingly perennial.

Perhaps you’ll remember the details. Charles Oakley set the screen worthy of an offensive lineman. Dell Curry threw the on-point inbounds pass. And in that monumental instant, as Vince Carter pump-faked and jumped and fired, everything seemed possible for Toronto’s nascent NBA team. Carter was only 24 years old. He was coming off a season in which he’d be named all-NBA second team — one of the 10 best players in basketball as voted by the media. As measured by Player Efficiency Rating (PER), the all-in statistic that’s a useful gauge of one’s place in the league hierarchy, only the mighty Shaquille O’Neal ranked higher. Better things seemed sure to come.

But we all know how that Game 7 against the Philadelphia 76ers ended. As hard as it is to believe, that frozen-in-time corner two-pointer, which Carter clanked, turned out to coincide with Vinsanity’s competitive peak. Never again would Carter be named to an all-NBA team. Never again would he post a better PER.

Eighteen years on, as the Raptors prepare for another Game 7 against the Sixers for the right to face Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference final, it’s worth remembering one of the great lessons of that 2001 near miss. That is, chances like this are as exciting as they are rare. Though they’ll be remembered for the ages, they don’t necessarily come by the year.

Think about Carter. Having announced his intention to return for his 22nd season next fall, at age 42 he’s now a happy journeyman on track for the longest career in NBA history. But while he’s played 1,481 regular-season games and 88 playoff matches, he’s played in precisely two Game 7s, and won exactly zero.

In other words: Seize today. Tomorrow might never come.

“It’s what we live for,” Raptors guard Danny Green was saying this past week. “It’s what we play this game for — moments like this and times like this.”

It’s what they play for. It’s what we watch for. And it’s fleeting. Think about Green. He’s played in the league 10 seasons now, almost all of them for a competitive franchise, and this will only be his fourth career Game 7, his first as a member of a team not named the San Antonio Spurs. Green’s been on the victorious side just once, and he’s worn the heartbreak of a Game 7 in a 2013 NBA final wherein he missed five of six three-pointers en route to a devastating defeat. Raptors teammate and Spurs alum Kawhi Leonard has played alongside Green in all three of those games.

Think about Toronto centre Marc Gasol. He’s played in the league 12 seasons now, and he’s only a veteran of three Game 7s, including one to get to a conference final back in 2011. All these miles into a basketball journey that’s spanned 70 playoff contests, he’s never played for the winning team in a seventh game.

Still, it’s for moments like this that Masai Ujiri acquired these guys. Leonard, who’s been Toronto’s constant all post-season, is a former NBA final MVP. Green, though he’s shot inconsistently, has a history of clutch-situation performance. Gasol, though he’s never been to an NBA final, has played in two Olympic gold-medal games and multiple European championship finals. Stack those resumes atop those of Serge Ibaka and Kyle Lowry, who’ve both played on the winning side in a pair of NBA Game 7s, and you’ve got a team with considerable big-stage history, albeit not together.

“It’s good. Those guys have obviously been there before,” Toronto coach Nick Nurse told reporters Saturday. “And I think the majority, or not the majority, I think some of those guys were not pleased with their play in (a Game 6 loss), starting with their effort, and next I would say their execution offensively and defensively … And again, usually what makes these guys so good, these experienced guys so good, is they always find a way to turn that stuff around.”

Considering neither Nurse nor his Philadelphia counterpart Brett Brown has ever been an NBA head coach in a seventh game, perhaps you could give Toronto the edge in Game 7 pedigree. The Sixers, as it happens, aren’t exactly brimming with firsthand know-how in the area. Philadelphia’s best player, Joel Embiid, has never played in a Game 7. Top scorer Jimmy Butler has played in one; he had nine points on 10 shots in a first-round win for the Bulls back in 2013.

“(Success in Game 7s) doesn’t really have to do much with experience. I think it’s more with character and the way you are built,” Gasol told reporters Saturday. “If (the Sixers) are in the semifinal of the conference … that means they are pretty strong mentally and they have a really good, talented team with size. You can’t take possessions off.”

Take no possessions off, tomorrow might never come. Lowry knows these hard truths as well as anyone. A career 2-2 in Game 7s, he’s lived through the cauldron’s dichotomous extremes. He had a potential game-winner blocked at the buzzer in a crushing loss to the Nets in 2014. He led the team with a stellar 35 points in a rousing win over Miami in 2016 that vaulted Toronto to what’s still its only trip to the Eastern final.

GET MORE SPORTS IN YOUR INBOX
Never miss the latest on the Leafs, Jays, Raptors and more with the Star's Sports Headlines email newsletter.
“Game 7s are what you play for, what you work for,” Lowry said Saturday. “It’s one of the best games in your career … You get to a Game 7, you know how hard it’s going to be … That Game 7 (against) Miami, it was just about doing whatever it takes to win. I think this game it’s just working as hard as you can, leave it all out there. Like I said, we really have to win or go home.”

So it’s win or go home, get ready for Milwaukee or step into an off-season of unknowns. Maybe this will be the beginning of an unprecedented boom in basketball’s North. Maybe this will be Leonard’s first of many deep runs in a Raptors uniform. Maybe it won’t. All we know for sure is you can never know for sure. So seize today. And remember 2001, when what looked like an undeniable ascent turned out to be the top of the mountain.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2019/05/11/raptors-know-chances-like-game-7-dont-come-around-often.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kibner posted:

Then why are some people going to bat for AD?

I mean just setting aside the fact that Davis is clearly better he's also played four times as many playoff minutes