Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Hoss Corncave posted:

This is something that might have been answered earlier in the thread but I don't remember reading it nor do I feel like reading 47 pages to do with Jim Cornette, but who actually is Brian Last? I've no idea who he is or what he's done or if he's anyone who has actually had any importance in anything.

He started the 605 Superpodcast with bix a few years ago and created a podcast network about classic wrestling off the success of the 605 Superpodcast. He's known Jim for like 25 years because he went to SMW fan week back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hoss Corncave posted:

This is something that might have been answered earlier in the thread but I don't remember reading it nor do I feel like reading 47 pages to do with Jim Cornette, but who actually is Brian Last? I've no idea who he is or what he's done or if he's anyone who has actually had any importance in anything.

Last is a music industry flunky and wrestling fan.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a money mark with no money

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

mariooncrack posted:

He started the 605 Superpodcast with bix a few years ago and created a podcast network about classic wrestling off the success of the 605 Superpodcast. He's known Jim for like 25 years because he went to SMW fan week back in the day.
More or less.

And to flesh it out a bit more: When Alice Radley quit as cohost/producer, Jim did a couple shows with Brian as his "anger management therapist" because his 6:05 appearances were so well-received. (A lot of "you were having so much fun and weren't angry!") So Brian became the new co-host, which made a lot of sense: Unlike Court Bauer, MSL, or Alice, he knew what stories Jim had told before in what venues and has a deep knowledge of wrestling history, so he could steer Jim in the right direction to get a breezy show full of cool historical stuff out of him.

Then AEW launched and their audience exploded when Jim went off on poo poo, and we're where we are now.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
So he's pretty much just a friend of Cornette who agrees with him and laughs at his jokes but has nothing to do with wrestling in general. Thanks guys.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hoss Corncave posted:

So he's pretty much just a friend of Cornette who agrees with him and laughs at his jokes but has nothing to do with wrestling in general. Thanks guys.

I think you just described every single cohost of a wrestler podcast that people don't know at first

Why is it that every time someone tries to flagwave for Cornette and say what a brilliant booking genius he is, it requires you to listen to a thirty minute podcast to understand fully? That's what Jordan Peterson fans do, a-

Oh...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

As much as Russo hates women I'm surprised he lets her out of the house to work
I find it endlessly amusing that a man who can't hold down a job whose wife has to support him believes that women can't succeed in leadership positions because :biotruths:.

The guy made at least a cool mil from his WCW tenure and he worked for TNA for-goddamned-ever. What the gently caress did he blow it all on?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hoss Corncave posted:

More or less, he was legitimately the best possible co-host for Jim at first.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I find it endlessly amusing that a man who can't hold down a job whose wife has to support him believes that women can't succeed in leadership positions because :biotruths:.

The guy made at least a cool mil from his WCW tenure and he worked for TNA for-goddamned-ever. What the gently caress did he blow it all on?

Donations to republican presidents and cocaine I'd imagine

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dude smokes weed with a butane lighter. Like wtf bro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

He lost a lot of money on his CD Warehouse store and I think one other failed business.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Imagine opening a CD Warehouse after Napster.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Imagine opening a CD Warehouse after Napster.
Seriously, Russo opening a CD Warehouse franchise in *2002* is quite possibly the most underrated bit of Vince Russo stupidity. The Torch reported that "he was turning a profit just one year into the operating the business, but nothing near what he made in his stints in the WWF and WCW," which...I dunno how much I believe that.

(The normally exhaustive Georgia Corporations Division website doesn't have a hit for anything with "Vincent Russo" as a company officer that looks like a fit for the CD Warehouse in question, for whatever it's worth.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

with 0 research, I'm gonna say the CD warehouse thing was an affiliate gig. IIRC there were dudes that cold called you and sold you subscriptions to those monthly CD music lootcrates for $12.99. I kinda remember getting yelled at by a guy w/ a big thick accent when I went to go cancel my membership after doing the monthly trial.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

with 0 research, I'm gonna say the CD warehouse thing was an affiliate gig. IIRC there were dudes that cold called you and sold you subscriptions to those monthly CD music lootcrates for $12.99. I kinda remember getting yelled at by a guy w/ a big thick accent when I went to go cancel my membership after doing the monthly trial.

It wasn't, it was a brick and mortar store.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Maybe it's just because I'm older, but I kind of miss going to music stores and browsing through the CD's

But anyway, yeah, it was really dumb to open a CD store in 2002

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

It wasn't, it was a brick and mortar store.

pre-financial meltdown america was another world.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Is a CD Warehouse one of those places that buy sell and trade CDs? Most of the similar places that are still open pivoted into records, video games, movies, and ICP merch. I don't know if the ICP merch is just an Ohio thing but every time I've gone into a used CD store they always have a ton of ICP shirts and blacklight posters.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

bartok posted:

Is a CD Warehouse one of those places that buy sell and trade CDs? Most of the similar places that are still open pivoted into records, video games, movies, and ICP merch. I don't know if the ICP merch is just an Ohio thing but every time I've gone into a used CD store they always have a ton of ICP shirts and blacklight posters.
It looks like stores named CD Warehouse still exist but they chain might not?

The one near me when I lived on Long Island changed its name to CD Island and went full indie fairly early on. It closed a few years ago. They appeared to pretty much be using the store as storage for their eBay store, so I suspect they had a sweetheart rent deal and the lease finally ran out. But yeah, these days, most of the used media stores are used book, record, and/or video game stores where the other stuff is secondary.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Places like that which changed into media focused-thrift stores I still see open a lot, especially if they got in on the retro game market. Back in Louisville we have Book and Music Exchange which seems to be doing okay and here in Chicago we have The Exchange, which does very well.

Those kinds of stores seem a lot more equipped to survive the times than GameStop, funnily enough.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GameStop is getting hosed by both their investors and regulatory bodies. It’s a miracle their doors are as open as they are now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

GameStop is getting hosed by both their investors and regulatory bodies. It’s a miracle their doors are as open as they are now.

It's whatever the exact opposite of a miracle is. A nightmare?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gamestop should get hosed. It's a terrible company run by terrible people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Gamestop should get hosed. It's a terrible company run by terrible people.

every company ceo with mall frontage deserves to burn. While I'm fond of gamestop's services, they don't pay those poor kids enough to deal with my high anxiety rear end just tryin to get a game on the cheap.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah if anything gamestop isn't getting hosed by ENOUGH outside parties

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Anyway, the idea of Vince Russo owning a physical business is ludicrous. Which is why it probably happened because this timeline is on ketamine and barbasol.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

coconono posted:

every company ceo with mall frontage deserves to burn. While I'm fond of gamestop's services, they don't pay those poor kids enough to deal with my high anxiety rear end just tryin to get a game on the cheap.

But you've seen the stories coming out in the last couple years about gamestops ridiculous management and practices I assume

It's not just your typical store bullshit it's like next level manager threatening you until you want to go home and end yourself level verbal abuse

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

But you've seen the stories coming out in the last couple years about gamestops ridiculous management and practices I assume

It's not just your typical store bullshit it's like next level manager threatening you until you want to go home and end yourself level verbal abuse

Ooo the Radio Shack model.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There are lots of 'why i left gametop' videos on youtube from former employees sharing all sorts of lovely practices, intimidation tactics, verbal abuse to customers and employees and everything else that goes on at a huge portion of their stores due to unrealistic sales pressure from above. A few of them had panic attacks and breakdowns from being there a short time. My favorite story is how one regional manager was given orders to force all of his stores to claim they had no new consoles even though they had stacks of them in the warehouse areas and to inform their salespeople that if customers won't buy a used console they can go elsewhere.

It's beyond a bad retail environment to work in. Anyway sorry for the derail but people underestimate how badly that company needs to go out of business.

Then again it's a thread about an old hateful piece of poo poo so I don't feel that bad talking about something else.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 12, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jim cornette ran his gamestop really well and efficiently and never lost money on it

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Cavauro posted:

jim cornette ran his gamestop really well and efficiently and never lost money on it
jim cornette hasn't run a gamestop since 2005. doesn't understand cloud storage or digital distribution and thinks all video games should go back to being sold from behind an electronics department counter at sears.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jim Cornette wants Final Fantasy games to go back to featuring real men instead of these effeminate pretty boys playing warrior of light.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jim Cornette wants Final Fantasy games to go back to featuring real men instead of these effeminate pretty boys playing warrior of light.

jokes on him, thanks to yoshitaka amano the warrior of light has been an effeminate pretty boy since the very first final fantasy.

every wrestler should dress like gackt to give corny an aneurysm

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the first time cornette ranted about grown men playing videogames because of kenny omega, brian would meekly speak up and say that he liked playing videogames, and jim would just ignore him and keep ranting about how pathetic a grown man playing videogames is.

ever since then brian just stays quiet and then waits to move on to the next thing. kind of like how early on brian would talk about how he liked kennys matchse but now just agrees with every bad thing jim says and parrots the Carried By Okada line that they all love.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Do we know for sure that Russo's CD Warehouse actually sold CDs? Maybe he swerved his customers by selling home decor or something.

"You want Venetian Snares, you piece of poo poo? Have some Venetian blinds!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

I worked at Gamestop for all of 3 weeks. I was told I was going to get paid a certain amount which I wasn't and instead of doing direct deposit or giving me a check they gave me a prepaid card. To get the money off the card I'd have to go to an ATM which would cost money to get my money. And they would not stop getting on my case about doing anything I had to do to get someone to reserve something or buy used. I hate that place so much - not to mention it's basically obsolete now.

On the other hand I really miss video stores.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The prepaid card story is new. That’s a special kind of lovely.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've worked places where they will offer a prepaid card if you don't have a bank account instead of cutting a check but never had one require it and not let you direct deposit. That really sucks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

coconono posted:

Books-A-Million did that to me because I didn't bring my bank details on my first day (they hadn't asked me to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

Really? I've heard that about GameStop for YEARS.