Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I hope Lisa comes out of this ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BigDave posted:

Right?! Holy poo poo whatever health care network manages that oncology office and x-ray lab is gonna get sued so hard they'll be paying out settlements to Lisa's great grandkids.

Is there anything Batiuk understands or at least understood at one point?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's what Les is really living off. His book cut that bit for reasons of presentation as a proper hagiographic martyrdom. It had weak-to-mediocre sales that he bumped to major by buying huge quantities on the discount market and having them pulped. That's why he feels comfortable telling hollywood to gently caress off.

The constant self loathing and fixation on his dead wife are because he knows that none of his success is down to his own merits.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommaToes posted:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunrise

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/10/00

Brenda Starr 9/8/40

The Baron's really not good at this whole kidnapping thing, huh?

Smokey Stover 4/14/35

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't seen any marching bands in 2007 so far. Only a flooded comic book collection and two high schoolers talking for 50000 years about how they were adopted (I think)

Well, I guess Batiuk must have cleared the decks for Lisa's Cancer. But don't miss out on the part where a teenager takes a week to open an envelope. That's part of the implausible adoption subplot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommaToes posted:

She does.
She was the first one to finally make it out of Westview.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Lisa's Story is Loss.jpg only it somehow got Baituk the right type of attention from the comic industry.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1259956088373489667

Wait, wait, when asked why his strip isn't more diverse the 9CL guy starts talking about "skeletal morphologies"? :yikes:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

howe_sam posted:

Wait, wait, when asked why his strip isn't more diverse the 9CL guy starts talking about "skeletal morphologies"? :yikes:

"thin vs fat"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Part four.

Funky Winkerbean. July 2-15. CANCER CANCER CANCER CANCER okay honestly some of these strips aren't bad and are kinda sweet but jesus christ this is multiple weeks of this

And a merry cancer to everyone. Next post, I discover that I have to actually care about this one teenager who cannot open a letter to save his life. sigh. I'll recap a bit of that so we can have the full impact of cancer tragedy

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Majinaughey, as I've been titling it since Q-rais referred to his state as such, is Serious (Not Joking) Naughey and I think based on his interest in Marxist literature we can assume that it's not PTSD but something the crows have done to his brain with their weird ritual.

Angular Cyrus posted:

In folklore people carried off by tengu would often come back changed. Sometimes they'd been forced to eat poop until they went crazy, or sometimes an illiterate person would suddenly be able to write because they were possessed by a tengu.

Oh interesting, I hadn't connected the crows with tengu. I thought they taught people swordsmanship, not Marxist theory, but I guess even fairytale monsters have to change with the times.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1939)

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, 'Gay Indifference' would be a hell of a username.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

"...salmonella has been found in Fingerpori's poultry farm chickens..."
"Burn those immediately!"

Kana = Chicken
Kanala = Poultry farm
Lakana = Bedsheet

Kanalakana = Poultry farm chicken/Chicken bedsheet
(say that fast five times)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 12, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Careful, Susie, that cat's gonna gently caress you up!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Refresh my memory; didn't Lisa also record a bunch of messages for her daughter full of assumptions about what this kid would do with their life?

The Dinette Set is oddly timely.

Working Daze has absolutely nothing else going on in its life.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix also explains why I never get around to posting my comics on the weekend.

Cul De Sac prepares for a fateful expedition.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
August 31st & September 1st, 1981

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

"...salmonella has been found in Fingerpori's poultry farm chickens..."
"Burn those immediately!"

Kana = Chicken
Kanala = Poultry farm
Lakana = Bedsheet

Kanalakana = Poultry farm chicken/Chicken bedsheet
(say that fast five times)

Oh Finnish, you've done it again.

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Julet Esqu posted:

So many women have made so much effort for so long to lift the stigma in Western culture about breastfeeding in public and here comes Brooke to be like, "breastfeeding is an inherently sexual act and it's so erotic when a woman asserts her sexuality by letting everybody watch her get them sexy-rear end tiddys sucked in public"

9 chickweed lane is one of the comics that i dislike so much i can't look at it. I had to see what you were referring to, though, so i looked, and all i can say is: unbelievable-what's wrong with him? how can he think this is appropriate?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Majinaughey

Bogor 1976

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is just that one Nichijou episode now.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's interesting to see the Lisa strips in motion considering I know the direction they go in, where it all just becomes a weird fawning over the inevitable (yet I won't deny it's pretty unfortunate and tragic) death to the extent that they lobby to make the highschool drama club perform Wit. It's actually pretty well-written and relatable except for all of the Funky Winkerbean bullshit and fellating of old Silver Age comics. I can see why people were impressed with it in the past and I can also start to see the moments Tombat decided to just coast off this forever.

Also Lisa should've loving sued.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

It's just so funny when doctors make huge preventable errors!

HA HAW! ENJOY HAVING YOUR FALSE HOPE YANKED AWAY FROM YOU BECAUSE NOTHING MATTERS IN THIS BLEAK TWISTED HELLSCAPE FROM WHICH LIFE ITSELF IS REJECTED!!

Anyone else remember that show Jane The Virgin? Just the premise alone would make any loving normal person scream lawsuit instead of "oops lol I'm a virgin and having the baby of the man I've always loved from afar!"

Also kinda funny how after Lisa dies, Les never becomes as doting on their loving daughter as he does her memory. Saint Lisa. Perfect Lisa. gently caress, why did he ever marry Cayla unless it was to remind her how perfect Lisa was?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also kinda funny how after Lisa dies, Les never becomes as doting on their loving daughter as he does her memory. Saint Lisa. Perfect Lisa. gently caress, why did he ever marry Cayla unless it was to remind her how perfect Lisa was?
You can't gently caress a ghost. I learned that lesson from MacGruber.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

howe_sam posted:

Parahexavoctal posted:

"thin vs fat"

When in doubt, assume he's being a pretentious rear end in a top hat trying to beat you into submission with the Oxford Unabridged English Dictionary.

But enough of that. A lot of people outside are on edge right now, so I'm going to swim against the tide and try and make at least one positive statement about each strip. Even that one.

Let's start with Sally Forth, which may use a lot of words, but at least they all sound like they'd come out of a human being.

Skippy makes less do the work of more. It looked simple next to the other early 30s strips, but it's a deceptive simplicity that takes a lot of work and experience to successfully pull off. (December 6, 1932)

Among the many other strengths of Peanuts, Sparky knows what to do with a golf handicap. (May 14, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean is...also present in this post.

Wait, no. Um....rubbernecking is a part of tourist culture, so good job on observing that, I guess.

Crankshaft is someone's favorite somewhere, I'm sure.

9 "My Indifference Is Profound" Lane

(Positivity...positivity)

Um...thank you for not flood filling with gradients today?

Rip Haywire is obviously a labor of love, and not an exercise in self-love.

You could build a cathedral for Thimble Theater... (December 10, 1936)

...and maybe a tasteful country church for Out Our Way. (June 18-20, 1934)

Which brings us to Life (With Skippy), from back when cartoonists were marketable stars. (May 8, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Issue: I'm still a little wiped out so it's an all-Crosby week today. First one is TIMGed because it doesn't look like it'll scale very well otherwise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hostile V posted:

It's interesting to see the Lisa strips in motion considering I know the direction they go in, where it all just becomes a weird fawning over the inevitable (yet I won't deny it's pretty unfortunate and tragic) death to the extent that they lobby to make the highschool drama club perform Wit. It's actually pretty well-written and relatable except for all of the Funky Winkerbean bullshit and fellating of old Silver Age comics. I can see why people were impressed with it in the past and I can also start to see the moments Tombat decided to just coast off this forever.

Also Lisa should've loving sued.

Yeah it's been weird - I started this with intent to mock/stare at because it's so huge in the comic now, but I almost feel bad at times because there are some genuinely touching moments in here.

Almost, though. The author cannot keep himself from being lovely.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

I just realized she's dressed as Crankshaft

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

I'M GONNA SHOOOOOOT

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

gently caress YOU, LES MOORE. First of all, you do not humiliate a student like that. You take away their phone, and give it back at the end of the day. That's it. Second, the dermatologist's appointment is likely confidential medical information, so doubleplusfuckyou.

I would have thought that Batuik would at least have some idea of what bullying is, given that the entire origin story for his stupid comic is that Les was picked on by bullies back in high school. But nope, he just does the modern day equivalent of shoving a student into a locker and stealing her lunch money smirking all the while about what a great job he did owning her.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 9/8/40

The Baron's really not good at this whole kidnapping thing, huh?

I am admittedly quite intrigued about how or why wearing the Baron's shoes is such an important victory point in Brenda's favor.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 12, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah it's been weird - I started this with intent to mock/stare at because it's so huge in the comic now, but I almost feel bad at times because there are some genuinely touching moments in here.

Almost, though. The author cannot keep himself from being lovely.
It's interesting in that he apparently actually talked to survivors of breast cancer and made an effort to be informed about it...and that was before he was diagnosed with prostate cancer himself and drew on the experience of surviving it for inspiration. It's that rare positive effect of Tombat writing self-insert stuff for himself actually elevating the comic's content (for a while) for once. But it's also an AMAB survivor of a cancer an AFAB can't have writing an AFAB's experience and surrender to her diagnosis, he keeps trying to include what he thinks are slice-of-life levity that land about as well as stepping on someone's nuts, and while there's some nuggets of sincere emotional resonance, he's still absolutely not as well informed as he should've been tackling this topic.

It's important to periodically return to these watershed moments that define something and understand why it defined it to begin with, and I think you're doing that more than you're doing it to make fun of it and you shouldn't really...feel bad for wanting to educate your own self and becoming interested by the content despite your own intentions. Dunno. I'm meandering. You're not being a poo poo, don't feel bad.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I'm really worried about Nekonaughey's mental health :ohdear: It seems like he's been like this for weeks!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hostile V posted:

star trek taught me you just have to bind it to a candle first.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/21/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/18/46

Mopsy 12/28/42

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Lisa Story by itself would be decent but it's kinda soured because we know what comes afterwards in the world's stupidest martyr story. Or going back to the well with the truly terrible Bull suicide. You'd think Mason Jarr would point some of this out. Or maybe this is why none of the "heartless" Hollywood execs will buy?

"So your lawyer wife is given the mother of all opportunities to sue the hospital and she declines? The twist in your story is that all interesting conflict is avoided? Is this a comedy? Are you and her Dumb and Dumber characters?"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Refresh my memory; didn't Lisa also record a bunch of messages for her daughter full of assumptions about what this kid would do with their life?

Not just her daughter, I think she also recorded boxes of VHS tapes' worth of messages to other people. This includes Les' second wife, who Lisa has a message of "Hey, in case Les moans my name when you're having sex, that's just a thing that happens, mmkay?"

You bringing up their daughter also made me remember something that bothers me: Les and Lisa's daughter has been a complete non-entity in Lisa's Story. You'd think including the daughter in the story would make total sense, give the whole thing another dimension to the drama, or something. Like having Les and Lisa explain to their young daughter what's happening, or Lisa drawing strength from her kid, or how a child dealing with all this would have to grow up pretty fast, or even what their daughter will be going through once Lisa is gone. But no, there's nothing whatsoever.

Hostile V posted:

It's interesting in that he apparently actually talked to survivors of breast cancer and made an effort to be informed about it...and that was before he was diagnosed with prostate cancer himself and drew on the experience of surviving it for inspiration. It's that rare positive effect of Tombat writing self-insert stuff for himself actually elevating the comic's content (for a while) for once. But it's also an AMAB survivor of a cancer an AFAB can't have writing an AFAB's experience and surrender to her diagnosis, he keeps trying to include what he thinks are slice-of-life levity that land about as well as stepping on someone's nuts, and while there's some nuggets of sincere emotional resonance, he's still absolutely not as well informed as he should've been tackling this topic.

It's almost fascinating comparing Lisa's Story with Bull's Suicide. I agree that Batiuk is still not as well-informed as he should've been to try writing about this topic, but it does seem like he put in some effort researching it, so it's not as infuriatingly dumb like his recent stories. There's also how he seems to actually care about writing the story and the characters, where he actually wanted to show Lisa (though it eventually mutates into Les') pain.

Compare that to the complete shitshow that was Bull's CTE story, where the person in question never got a single strip exploring what he must be going through, or what pushed him to kill himself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I will say that "Lisa's Story" is the best chunk of Funky Winkerbean I've seen, and I understand why it got the mainstream curiosity and attention that it did. It's still a Batiuk thing with all the issues that entails but moment to moment it's pretty affecting. It makes me wonder what it would be like if he'd tried to write it as a straight drama, without the silly punchlines and quips to punctuate it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I think in that case he'd also have to, like, not just time-skip the entire loving comic immediately after Lisa's death to ten years in the future and actually explore the process of grief and healing. Which would be interesting and also probably avert to some extent the comic mutating into the trials and tribulations of the sole priest of St. Lisa. There but for the grace of god.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay I wasn't gonna say anything as long as it was just two of them but now that we've got Buck, Truck and Doug I refuse to let it go unnoticed.
Let what go unnoticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Castles confuse Corto, or Corto goes to free his mind at his hotel, or ...I thought they were in Switzerland. Why is Corto talking about a central German state?