Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Is $440 for a used 1080ti a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

th3t00t posted:

Is $440 for a used 1080ti a good idea?

that's average ish if not a bit high for the market, and I think "market price" is a little high at this stage of the game either from a Pascal vs Turing vs Ampere sense (Pascal support/performance will fall off quicker), or from the sense of getting a 2070 Super right now and getting a card with basically the same performance, better NVENC, DLSS, and other present-day features.

1080 Ti is a venerable card but paying 90% of the freight of a 2070 super for a used card with little remaining warranty, less features, and worse ongoing support is kind of a bad deal even if the 1080 Ti marginally wins on average. I would not pay $450+ for a 1080 Ti at this stage of the game.

$400 or under, for a decent-tier card (Gaming X, FTW3, etc) in good shape, then yeah, getting to be a good deal. $350 or less for a crap tier card, yeah good deal (bad 1080 Ti beats good 1080 any day)

Ampere is coming probably (hopefully?) Q3 this year, if you can hold on then you may get more for your buck. But there's a chance it could be as long as Q1 (maybe), and there's always something better coming in 6 months.

There's an NVIDIA announcement later this week, very probably for datacenter cards not consumer graphics, but it may give us a little more to read the tea leaves on what might be coming this fall and when.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 12, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarsellusWallace posted:

It's an adjustment in the menu for the color profile. There's a bunch of different preset color profiles with weird names in the menu. Phoneposting or I'd look it up for you.I

If anyone has a way of making Sea of Thieves brighter then I could play that before sundown. It detects and counteracts the Nvidia control panel settings because it wasn't loved as a child.

Hmm, it looks like this works (at least on Discord and web browsers and stuff):

I'll have to check it out in a game. Maybe tomorrow or something.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Zarin posted:

Sorry, I use this on my lovely tv monitor since it doesn't have gamma, and the way you asked your question, I thought you were talking about 'per-app' since you'd already found this setting, and I didn't have anything to add. But yes, I use that and it works on 3d games too.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

redreader posted:

Sorry, I use this on my lovely tv monitor since it doesn't have gamma, and the way you asked your question, I thought you were talking about 'per-app' since you'd already found this setting, and I didn't have anything to add. But yes, I use that and it works on 3d games too.

Yeah, same.

Zarin posted:

This works for a large majority of games but a small percentage of them will override your color settings. Some games only do it if you use fullscreen mode and some do it no matter what display settings you use. It seems most common in competitive multiplayer games, which makes sense if you don't want people to use overlays to give themselves an advantage.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity as I'm no expert on the whole timeline of video cards- what other historical technologies have garnered a similar or greater performance than DLSS 2.0?

Obviously it's super powerful but I have no idea about the histories of such technologies. Presumably there have been jumps similar to this.

Outside of new card releases? Nothing.

The closest analog to DLSS 2.0 I can think of is having some games I already owned add Glide support when I got a card with the 3dfx Voodoo Graphics chipset. Support wasn't very widespread at first for old or new games there, either. Then GLQuake came out and everything changed very quickly.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I mean, the tech for DLSS 2.0 looks great and all, but I have been burned too many times with propriety graphic tech for games. I am just happy i got a video card that I don't need to upgrade after 3 years as I kept getting mid-range cards that either got outpaced quickly or I cheaped out.

I might consider Ampere down the road if it makes sense financially for me, but the only games I am playing is Modern Warfare, XCom and Gears Tactics. I am already getting 90-120fps on 1440p, but i am getting massive CPU 100% usage spikes from the 6 cores on my 8600k even after overclocking so my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu. I am also doing more work from home so there is a bigger need for a better CPU with more cores and threads.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 12, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

K8.0 posted:

Yes there aren't many of those games yet. The point is that "a 1080Ti is just as good as a 2080" wasn't quite true at launch, but it's nowhere even close to true now, and the trend isn't slowing down.

A 1080 Ti and 2080 were evenly matched at the 2080 launch, the disappointment was very much present (not to mention the missing VRAM from the 2080)... the pricing also took a sharp hike, which only added to the feeling of a small upgrade.
However, nobody expected to the 1080 Ti to stay being the better card, and today the tables have clearly turned.

Even with that being the case, I wouldn't see the 2080 being a worthwhile upgrade over a 1080 Ti. A 2080 Ti though? Of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 12, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7TNRhIYJ8

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

:yeshaha:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ok, i legit lol'd pretty solid when he struggled taking it out (it looks heavy, it was just funny, as im sure was intended)

good job nvidia you made me smile today

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

ok, i legit lol'd pretty solid when he struggled taking it out (it looks heavy, it was just funny, as im sure was intended)

good job nvidia you made me smile today

What would someone need that video card for? Rendering?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Probably for computations of some kind instead of actually rendering graphics

(yes I know rendering graphics are a type of computation, geez)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

Outside of a literal handful of outliers (like the mentioned RDR2) the 2080/2070 Super is regularly 5-10% ahead of the 1080 Ti even in modern titles. While it's true that future games will tend to get comparatively better performance, calling it a "far more capable" card at this point is laughable.

It's far more capable if all you care about is playing RDR2 or Control but the vast majority of games will not be a noticeably different experience worth upgrading to a $600+ card right now.

Well, not Control anymore :v:

At least not unless you’re some “native resolution” purist who hasn’t realized that native resolutions died years ago.

(Still half-considering a 2070 Super side-grade while 1080 Ti used prices are up enough that it wouldn’t cost anything and I still have some warranty)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 12, 2020

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

all this reminds me of is the macbook pros with problems you could fix by putting the logic board in the oven

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

That board looks nearly identical to the GPU boards in an nVidia DGX-2 or HGX server.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-2/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/hgx/

Each of those boards carries 8 GPUs and their memory plus nVLink switching tech they call nVSwitch that nVidia claims allows them to use it like one large single GPU.

nVidia recently filed for a trademark on "DGX A100" which would fit perfectly with an Ampere-based update of the DGX platform: https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-dgx-a100-16-ampere-ga100-gpus-deep-learning

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 12, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

an actual dog posted:

all this reminds me of is the macbook pros with problems you could fix by putting the logic board in the oven

Wasn't that a xbox 360 red ring solution too?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lockback posted:

It was a widespread "solution" for a lot of issues in the RoHS transition period. Xbox 360s, the last nVidia Macbook Pros, and the GeForce 7900 series were the big stars of this era but the basic issue of RoHS solder cracking as hardware heat cycled was all over the place about a decade ago.

A few years back Linus of LinusTechTips did a video about trying to repair a GPU this way and Louis Rossmann put out a solid rant in response explaining why it's mostly nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9aZZxNptp0

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its nonsense in the sense of an absolute fix. Baking those older video cards did in fact bring them back to life for a few months.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Lockback posted:

Gave us 7 more months of life for our last tv.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Had to heat gun an og ps3 every month or so for its last year.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

Its nonsense in the sense of an absolute fix. Baking those older video cards did in fact bring them back to life for a few months.
That's why I used the term "mostly nonsense" because as Louis noted there are certain situations it does work for as long as you don't gently caress something else up in the process. It's just not a technique you should try as anything other than a last resort, where the internet has cargo culted it in to being something you may as well try on anything that seems like it has a hardware problem of any kind. See all the people in the comments on the original Linus video who baked their half-working GPU and turned it in to a non-working GPU.

If it's literally broken, out of warranty, and you either can't find or don't want to pay for a proper repair then by all means go nuts. The worst case scenario at that point is you melt something in your oven.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

That oven hood (?) is gonna look like an 80 year olds teeth if you ever actually did any cooking on it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DebonaireD posted:

That oven hood (?) is gonna look like an 80 year olds teeth if you ever actually did any cooking on it.

He's a billionaire, I assume he has someone replace it with a new one after every meal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

My friends wrapped theirs in a towel and left it on for a few hours and it worked again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've hated that Jenson guy since I saw his live talk where he decided that because his child didn't want to adjust video settings in a game, that every hardware enthusiast buying a video card often worth 1 month of wages would also just want to press 1 button and have an algorithm change it for them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The weirdest part is he has like 50 lovely pastel spatulas in a giant glass vase.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I've hated that Jenson guy since I saw his live talk where he decided that because his child didn't want to adjust video settings in a game, that every hardware enthusiast buying a video card often worth 1 month of wages would also just want to press 1 button and have an algorithm change it for them.

I just want it to become industry standard to have games run a benchmark test where you set a FPS target and it relatively intelligently dynamically fiddles with the settings until it reaches it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AMD released.... Another VII branded GPU? It has 16GB HBM2 and is Navi based so

Radeon Pro VII, more details coming out hopefully today:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-pro-vii-featuring-16gb-hbm2-memory-and-infinity-fabric-link

Honestly with the way the Vega FE and original VII products were handled, I would have backed off those brands for another decade or two.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im the first person willing to consider AMD for anything, especially with their processor game being so strong

but the problem is, i would never in a million years admit to buying a radeon at this point even if it was a solid card because my tattered pathetic epeen has some semblance of dignity still

they should consider a new name

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sapphire?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

im the first person willing to consider AMD for anything, especially with their processor game being so strong

but the problem is, i would never in a million years admit to buying a radeon at this point even if it was a solid card because my tattered pathetic epeen has some semblance of dignity still

they should consider a new name

That name has fallen so much since the days of the 9800 (Pro after you spend ten seconds in your BIOS)

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

NewFatMike posted:

AMD released.... Another VII branded GPU? It has 16GB HBM2 and is Navi based so

Radeon Pro VII, more details coming out hopefully today:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-pro-vii-featuring-16gb-hbm2-memory-and-infinity-fabric-link

Honestly with the way the Vega FE and original VII products were handled, I would have backed off those brands for another decade or two.

It's still Vega based from what I'm reading. Main change looks to be doubling FP64 performance over the original Radeon VII. Slightly lower clocks, probably because of the increased FP64 support.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

vega20 already had half-rate fp64 and pcie4, there's nothing new here as far as i can tell

they cut the fp64 rate to a quarter and disabled pcie4 in the consumer radeon vii but the instinct mi50 already shipped with both fully enabled

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That name has fallen so much since the days of the 9800 (Pro after you spend ten seconds in your BIOS)

A 9500 that could become a 9700 was even more killer, let alone all the other unlocks that have been possible

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The X800gto2 unlocking from 12 to 16 pipes was pretty sweet for the price.

eames
May 9, 2009

Epic released a video of a UE5 techdemo running on PS5 hardware, so presumably RDNA2. Be sure to watch it in 4K the first time, it's quite something.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5

curious timing considering the GTC keynote is scheduled for tomorrow...?

eames fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 13, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol at all the hype about the ssds allowing seamless streaming and the first demo they show has an obvious character-slowly-shuffles-through-tight-gap hidden loading transition

i'm guessing the global illumination is a variant of the ddgi algorithm nvidia developed

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Unreal 5 demo running on a PS5 (apparently)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Check back all of two posts.

eames posted:

Epic released a video of a UE5 techdemo running on PS5 hardware, so presumably RDNA2. Be sure to watch it in 4K the first time, it's quite something.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5

curious timing considering the GTC keynote is scheduled for tomorrow...?

That is pretty loving sweet but it won't be available in its finished form til the end of next year. Could be quite a while before UE5-based games make it to market.