Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought the blocking mechanic was kind of poorly conveyed in that game, I'd go for long stretches forgetting it even existed. The Joe "Magic Fists" Baker storyline was the only time it felt natural because it was so focused on hand-to-hand stuff.

I have to agree with this, I very rarely blocked because like, the enemies area pile of goo and stuff like the chainsaw fight? Uuuhh you can't make graphics as realistic as they went for in RE7, explicitly have a scene where your hand is cut off with a chainsaw, and then later on expect the player to think oh yeah when this person swings a chainsaw at me I'll push the "hold up my bare hand for a second button that got my hand cut off in the game's intro/tutorial."

I'm just now realizing that the entire hand cut off/pour regeneration juice on your hand thing was probably meant to be a way to explain why you can block tons of stuff with your bare hand but like, it's still dumb lol.

Vikar Jerome posted:

went like this:

from this thread of the prime RE leaker when he spent days last year talking about everything he got from him capcom dev source about scrapped RE versions and concepts.
https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1108335293596237824

edit: uhh half the story got cut off in the quote, fixed it.

This is all really interesting, I had no idea they originally were going to have Clancy be the final enemy of the game. And that does make the timeline make more sense if Lucas was experimenting on him the whole time. Also the cutscene where Lucas is suddenly on the ceiling and stuff. It's weird how it makes some of it feel very rushed when they eneded up redoing so much of it and delyaing it.

Some of the ways the stories intersect, and that not actually a choice choice you make before the boat made me wonder if they planned on having you choose a different character to play as and could change who the final (as in the final one in Not A Hero) boss would be or something.

The big plot hole for me in the finished game is how like, Ethan learns all this stuff about how the Evelines work, and he he gets to actually get spoken to by the Bakers, after they've been long subsumed by Eveline, like their personalities still exist? You get sucked into a bunch of goop and see that so like, they could take physical form and be regular folks for some reason just at that time but they're not independent enough to separate? It was really weird and they could have developed all of that a little more.

Also LOL the fans demanding a lab in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just now realizing that the entire hand cut off/pour regeneration juice on your hand thing was probably meant to be a way to explain why you can block tons of stuff with your bare hand but like, it's still dumb lol.
It's really poorly conveyed in the game, or rather I think you are supposed to realize it from context clues, but yeah, Ethan is distinctly infected with the magical black goop. The reason he can get his leg chopped off and just glue it back on with a bottle of over-the-counter disinfectant is because the mold is already giving him the regeneration to some degree, if not the crazy full-on immortality and super strength you get in the advanced stages of infection.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

In the Jack chainsaw fight, I always found it interesting that you don't even have to shoot him in the first phase. You can just kick bodies at him until he gets frustrated and grabs the saw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Def not madhouse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ethan being infected seems unlikely or part of the soft plot holes Capcom played fast and loose with. RE7 is great but not perfect. Like Lucas is supposed to be immune to Eve's mind control, but she never tests or notices? And good thing he had the physical infection and regenerated Jack chopping his hand off at the start. It's easy to never see the foot chop scene(I didn't on first blind playthrough) and Ethan gets a hand wave on his hand being repaired off screen at the start so you don't have to play with a gameplay limiting handicap. Like was he infected to regenerating qualities from less than an hour in a house adjacent to one of the two main infection sites? More likely it's a video game necessity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Even if the leg chopping scene may be optional, Resident Evil as a series has done some crazy stuff, but it has never done something like giving a character grievous and visible wounds on-screen and having them suddenly recover without some kind of virus or parasite being involved. Resident Evil as a setting has some crazy technology, but it does not have widely available magic regeneration potions. By the time Ethan literally glues his leg back on and can fully use again seconds later, it's very obvious that something is going on alright. That's a bit much to explain away with "gameplay necessity."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

True, but it is never confirmed and Eve really misses out on not mind controlling Ethan if he's infected. Also canonically all the RE protags never take truly fatal wounds/infections even if you the player eat foot long claws to the chest and regenerate it by snorting some herbs. I just took the super medicine and limb antics as a series staple for the former and setting a harder tone for the latter, while still letting you play the game without actually risking permanent disability.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

codo27 posted:

Def not madhouse

Works on all difficulties. Takes a really long time compared to shooting him but it's a way to conserve ammo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's explained fairly well. It's stated in-game that the hallucinations caused by the mutamycete get stronger, more vivid and more compelling over a fairly long period, at least days, but going by the timeline of the Baker family possibly as long as weeks or even months. He's infected enough to get the weakest effects, like a superhuman but still very limited regeneration and occasional flashes of Evie appearing before him and whispering to him. He just isn't infected enough that she is actually capable of making him do what she wants, however.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That makes sense and syncs with the timing of the hand repair, which works better with infection regeneration now that I reconsider. The only hole left is the states of varying infection. Jack and Marguerite get sick or fully possessed within hours(DLC) and well, the shenanigans of the Zoey ending choice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC the Files ingame make it seem like the infection took longer. Like wasn't there something about a Marguerite seeing a doctor about the infection? Because that wouldn't really line up with how the infection is portrayed in the DLC.

At the end of the day its still RE7's plot we're talking about though so lol.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, there's some inconsistency there, but I personally put that on the DLC not being well-planned to fit into what the base game establishes. As Raxivace says, at one point, you can find a note from a doctor who has been examining Marguerite Baker because she has been experiencing hallucinations and gets an MRI that shows a large fungal growth spreading through her brain. People don't usually go to the doctor at the very first sign of something being wrong with their health and there just is no way she would ever have gone there to begin with if she had been full-on crazy homicidal bug lady already at that point, so that means there must have been an extended incubation period.

There also seems to be some degree of personal willpower involved. People can resist the control to some degree, as we see in the intro where Mia bashes herself unconscious rather than hurting Ethan any further, and it doesn't change everyone equally quickly or Zoe wouldn't still be stable at the point the game takes place - and that is years after Mia originally disappeared.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What is it with the boxes full of maggots? I googled and found you could burn em out as I was sure that's how you get the snake key as that's what it looks like at the bottom. But I tried burning one in the old house and nothing, and looks to have the same object on the bottom, plus it already had a herb as well

God these insects are annoying. Not so much the big ones which go choppy choppy but it sure seems to waste a lot of burner fuel taking care of the nests of locusts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't even know that, I thought they were just there to be creepy. You get the snake key much later, though, do not bother looking for it at this point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I seem to be stuck now needing what I assume is a crank (definitely a crank) and/or some kind of insect like object for one of those light projector things. I've played as much as my nerves can handle for today anyway. Back to call of duty where I can fearlessly take on 149 military trained and armed people at once, much less intimidating than a raving derelict in some musty old shack!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

codo27 posted:

Wouldn't be all so bad if Ethan didn't handle like a Dodge Challenger with square wheels

he can walk and turn at the same time! he's a witch! this is an action game!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

codo27 posted:

What is it with the boxes full of maggots? I googled and found you could burn em out as I was sure that's how you get the snake key as that's what it looks like at the bottom. But I tried burning one in the old house and nothing, and looks to have the same object on the bottom, plus it already had a herb as well

God these insects are annoying. Not so much the big ones which go choppy choppy but it sure seems to waste a lot of burner fuel taking care of the nests of locusts

You can permanently kill the hives but and the cabinets/etc. with maggots on them but you have to make sure to hit like every single one. For the hives you have to use the burner to knock the shell part off and then use bullets on it before the shell regenerates. It's really stupid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can totally just shoot the hives with a shotgun a few times. The burner is entirely optional, not required. They just have like three layers that all need to be destroyed is all.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

codo27 posted:

Going to try it again now
https://youtu.be/RS-Ag9dA3Xw

im 4 mins in and im screaming at the screen.

why the gently caress are you not picking up the chainsaw the second he picks up his (you can, you have iframes) theres also a bottle in the corner you keep missing.

you dont need anything else when you pick up your chainsaw.

also there is a reason the "press space to guard" keeps popping up. use it. yes you can guard against chainsaws, you could do against mia during the fight in the attic. its resident evil, roll with it.

edit: oh didnt see this other page lol.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 12, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You know I was actually thinking about the Resident Evil 3 remake again and I can't help but wonder if part of the problem with the game is that Capcom took player criticism of the original Resident Evil 3 a bit too seriously.

There isn't really any puzzles or silly obtuse things in the remake until towards the end of the game in the Umbrella lab, whereas the original had silly stuff like the statue of the mayor concealing a battery used to power an elevator leading to the substation for... no real reason. It was common for people to make fun of Raccoon City for making no sense and being a nightmare to navigate because of all of the dumb puzzles around to the point that Capcom justifies it in RE2 by basically stating the RPD used to be a museum and Chief Irons is batshit insane and also Umbrella likes their obtuse bullshit. Even RE7 tried to justify its puzzles with having Lucas be a crazed oddball who juryrigs random poo poo.

I'm wondering if the Clock Tower was cut simply because it had two kind of silly puzzles to solve there which wouldn't realistically make sense and rather than try to make it fit, they just cut it, taking criticism of the original game a bit too seriously.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
None of the original RE3 puzzles were that bad, really, except for the water treatment puzzle. That poo poo was just terrible.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I actually really like that one and found it fun when I was younger. Probably still would. The one I hate is the three stones/three clocks because it gives zero indication until you start randomly putting stones in the dishes to move clocks. Such a waste of time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the water treatment puzzle is an exercise in having to pay attention to a lot of things at the same time, but at least it can be solved with logic. The clocks involve a lot of trial and error because I don't think I remember it giving you any explanation what the stones actually do until you use them, which is just tedious.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it's explained fairly well. It's stated in-game that the hallucinations caused by the mutamycete get stronger, more vivid and more compelling over a fairly long period, at least days, but going by the timeline of the Baker family possibly as long as weeks or even months. He's infected enough to get the weakest effects, like a superhuman but still very limited regeneration and occasional flashes of Evie appearing before him and whispering to him. He just isn't infected enough that she is actually capable of making him do what she wants, however.

If I remember right it explicitly states the disturbing apparitions are part of Evelines brainwashing process. It’s a constant assault on the sanity of the victim that gradually breaks down their resistance to Eveline’s control. Creepy stuff.

I suppose given enough time Ethan would have eventually ended up like the Bakers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That was my take on it as well, although the phrasing makes it ambiguous how much of it is an involuntary effect of the fungal effection and how much is something that Evie actually does willfully. As the files describe it, the process is basically the same for everyone - the Evie apparition start making demands that continue ramp up in violence until the infected person is nothing but a homicidal maniac.

It seems very vague to me how much control she has at all. For example, she states very straight-out that she wants Ethan to be her "father" and that she wouldn't hurt him when Mia talks to her on the ship. At the same time, Jack is clearly very willing to hurt or even kill him, which he probably wouldn't do if Evie was constantly aware of his actions and had immediate control over them.

VVV Yeah, that's another big part where the different things the game tells us just don't quite gel.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 12, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That was my take on it as well, although the phrasing makes it ambiguous how much of it is an involuntary effect of the fungal effection and how much is something that Evie actually does willfully. As the files describe it, the process is basically the same for everyone - the Evie apparition start making demands that continue ramp up in violence until the infected person is nothing but a homicidal maniac.

It seems very vague to me how much control she has at all. For example, she states very straight-out that she wants Ethan to be her "father" and that she wouldn't hurt him when Mia talks to her on the ship. At the same time, Jack is clearly very willing to hurt or even kill him, which he probably wouldn't do if Evie was constantly aware of his actions and had immediate control over them.

Also when Ethan is in the goo bubble and has a vision or whatever of the Baker family, like, was that him hallucinating them as innocent people or was it their consciousness still being a thing inside the overall collective of Evie? Or did they physically regenerate and take form in the goo to chat? Jack is still a thing after the main game happens so like that part doesn't quite make sense tome.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I figured it was just their consciousness trapped in there. You'll notice Marguerite isn't there, since you killed her earlier. Jack's there because he's still alive.

Regarding the water puzzle, I know it's a logic thing, but one that just doesn't click with my brain. Tower of Hanoi puzzles don't, either, even though they definitely should.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I figured it was just their consciousness trapped in there. You'll notice Marguerite isn't there, since you killed her earlier. Jack's there because he's still alive.
Huh, that would make sense, since they are all hooked up to some kind of telefungal network. It does make me wonder now, though: does Zoe appear there if you chose to take her with you? Because that crumble into dust, after all.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's a good question, and it's too bad I'm not in a position to boot up the Xbone and find out. I've always figured that Evelyn couldn't completely get rid of all traces of their mind, since Mia was able to break free for a little bit. I don't know if Jack or Marguerite could, just because of how long they've been under her control.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, that would make sense, since they are all hooked up to some kind of telefungal network. It does make me wonder now, though: does Zoe appear there if you chose to take her with you? Because that crumble into dust, after all.

Yeah she’s there regardless of who you choose to save.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I still love the OG RE3's power station puzzle, because of the implication that the employees have to mess with the city's power supply all the time whenever they want to unlock those two doors. :allears:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

amigolupus posted:

I still love the OG RE3's power station puzzle, because of the implication that the employees have to mess with the city's power supply all the time whenever they want to unlock those two doors. :allears:
They heard about the US having a completely unreliable power system with constant black outs, and the only explanation they could come up with was employees deliberate loving with the system.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's hard to complain about the puzzles in Resident Evil if you played any of the Silent Hill games on the harder difficulties, especially the earlier ones where you probably just didn't have easy access to the internet and had to just casually use your knowledge of sheet music and Shakespeare

Since they've all gone more of an action-type game since 4, I don't mind the small puzzles like they did in REM2, and I REALLY enjoyed the escape room in 7, but longer puzzles like the subway puzzle in 3 just weren't fun or engaging. I didn't feel smarter for finishing it, I just felt annoyed doing it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1260347132139077633

drat, that's a cool touch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know I was actually thinking about the Resident Evil 3 remake again and I can't help but wonder if part of the problem with the game is that Capcom took player criticism of the original Resident Evil 3 a bit too seriously.

There isn't really any puzzles or silly obtuse things in the remake until towards the end of the game in the Umbrella lab, whereas the original had silly stuff like the statue of the mayor concealing a battery used to power an elevator leading to the substation for... no real reason. It was common for people to make fun of Raccoon City for making no sense and being a nightmare to navigate because of all of the dumb puzzles around to the point that Capcom justifies it in RE2 by basically stating the RPD used to be a museum and Chief Irons is batshit insane and also Umbrella likes their obtuse bullshit. Even RE7 tried to justify its puzzles with having Lucas be a crazed oddball who juryrigs random poo poo.

I'm wondering if the Clock Tower was cut simply because it had two kind of silly puzzles to solve there which wouldn't realistically make sense and rather than try to make it fit, they just cut it, taking criticism of the original game a bit too seriously.

Maybe, but I think they just rushed it out after the phenomenal success of RE2make and wanted to cash in quick. It's a cool game and I like it but you can tell the attention to depth, detail and care with the product weren't there and the people who say it felt rushed and short have a point.

Didn't Capcom say they had a b-team working on RE3make concurrent with RE2?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe, but I think they just rushed it out after the phenomenal success of RE2make and wanted to cash in quick. It's a cool game and I like it but you can tell the attention to depth, detail and care with the product weren't there and the people who say it felt rushed and short have a point.

Didn't Capcom say they had a b-team working on RE3make concurrent with RE2?

how can you rush out a game after the success of a game you were working on concurrent to it

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just finished RE7, great game.

Playing this after RE3 has done nothing to change my opinion of it lol, almost twice the clear time on this badboy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rabidsquid posted:

how can you rush out a game after the success of a game you were working on concurrent to it

Releasing it before you've actually fleshed it out and hurrying because the success of the last one was a bit of a surprise?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

RealFoxy posted:

It's hard to complain about the puzzles in Resident Evil if you played any of the Silent Hill games on the harder difficulties, especially the earlier ones where you probably just didn't have easy access to the internet and had to just casually use your knowledge of sheet music and Shakespeare

Since they've all gone more of an action-type game since 4, I don't mind the small puzzles like they did in REM2, and I REALLY enjoyed the escape room in 7, but longer puzzles like the subway puzzle in 3 just weren't fun or engaging. I didn't feel smarter for finishing it, I just felt annoyed doing it.

I don't get why people had so much problems with the Subway puzzle in RE3.

The solution is there in the room. You just look at the map in the background, plan out the route and avoid the stops that are blocked.

It's perfectly logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Releasing it before you've actually fleshed it out and hurrying because the success of the last one was a bit of a surprise?
While I could see that happening, I don't think that was the case here. The game is flawed, but it doesn't feel incomplete, or as if they cut any major portions that they were originally planning on.