Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ohhh, it’s a tower of terror drop ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, hello? Possible leak, might be fake.

Oh snap. The old haunted house is one of my favourite "never disassemble" sets. This has potential.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It says "Fairground Collection" are there going to be more sets like that then?

https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Fairground

Looks like they are branding a line that has been going for a while.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I see a few roller coaster type sets in that series. What is the story with regards to track pieces being interchangeable between sets? It looks like there are a couple of different kinds that wouldn't work together.

As a side note I don't really see the appeal to the Castle in the Forest Ideas set. It's a big chunk of building that isn't architecturally interesting and not a whole lot going on inside. I realize it's subjective but I much prefer the classic design of outer walls with an inner courtyard as best seen with 6086 Black Knight's Castle. As far as Castle, Space or any other kind of revival it would sure be nice if they'd give us another space monorail like Unitron 6991 :( The other trains just aren't as interesting to me.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
According to other posters in this thread, monorails will never come back because Lego lost too much money on them—each set was more expensive to manufacture than it sold for, or so somebody here said.

On the topic of the forest castle, I’d assume the Lego designers would radically redesign it while keeping the spirit of nostalgia behind it, just like with Barracuda Bay.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Time Cowboy posted:

According to other posters in this thread, monorails will never come back because Lego lost too much money on them—each set was more expensive to manufacture than it sold for, or so somebody here said.

That could be, especially since they also had to sell the replacement monorail motors during that time:

They were even selling an extra track set:

But as you can see, it contained no sloped track at all, although it did contain two switches which did offer some reasonable possibility for expansion.

Both the motor and the battery box were very specific parts which could not really be used for anything else except a very specific kind of monoral with two cars and the motor in the middle (which uses the infamous 9V battery type which lasts about 5 minutes before running out).The other issue with the motor was that it was "visible" on the outside, so it had to be in a specific color to match the set itself.

As for the tracks, the variety of slopes/straights/curves was similar to today's coaster track, so not sure how much of an issue that was.

I was lucky to get two monorail sets (airport and Futuron) back when they weren't outrageously expensive, but nowadays I probably wouldn't bother. The sets themselves don't have that many parts, I guess to offset the cost of monorail bits, and when assembled take up quite a large amount of space due to all the tracks, so all in all, probably the best way to describe them is that they are "an interesting failure" and it's not really surprising that lego never revisited them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Question for the thread... if you had a 5' x 5' space to set up from scratch, what would you buy?

Currently thinking wire shelves along one wall for brick storage, along with x2 of these drawers and clear shoe bins for bulk part storage and organization.

Instead of something like a 4' x 4' table to build a city on, I was thinking some larger shelves might be the way to go. 2' deep by 4' wide should accommodate ~8 modulars and a small street (or terraced hill) in between, and I can run LED strips for lights, as well as hang stuff like planes for an airport. Might also move up a desk for a dedicated building space.

Anyone have any thoughts on something like that? Figure it's probably better to spend a little extra and buy the right stuff upfront. The sets I've built over winter and quarantine have effectively taken over the den, and it'd be nice to have a coherent space to build a city with. Originally I wanted to buy the papimax drawers recommended by the brick architect, but they've been consistently out of stock since November.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I see a few roller coaster type sets in that series. What is the story with regards to track pieces being interchangeable between sets? It looks like there are a couple of different kinds that wouldn't work together.

As a side note I don't really see the appeal to the Castle in the Forest Ideas set. It's a big chunk of building that isn't architecturally interesting and not a whole lot going on inside. I realize it's subjective but I much prefer the classic design of outer walls with an inner courtyard as best seen with 6086 Black Knight's Castle. As far as Castle, Space or any other kind of revival it would sure be nice if they'd give us another space monorail like Unitron 6991 :( The other trains just aren't as interesting to me.

Lego Monorail might be dead, but I just just discovered these monorail instructions with basic bricks and motors that might be along the lines of what you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?user?MasaoHidaka

Basically motorized rubber wheels driven by the standard lego motor ride along the top smooth surface, and vertical free spinning spacers hold the car in place. The track is basic bricks with technic pins and beams for slopes, and looks like hinge pins for curves:

Monorail Shuttle Instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ie4Ld38AJk

Monorail Rails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YAMiOXniU

Steep Ramp Rails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrNpDjKYgc

Gradual Ramp Rails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8cZn_lpuY0

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 10, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Can you link me to where you bought this?

I got it off Etsy from here, but he doesn't have anymore it seems.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, hello? Possible leak, might be fake.

Hell yeah, give me more spooky poo poo!

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
Is that an elevator up the main tower?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I just saw this on Facebook, posted by Beyond the Brick.

The UCS Brick Separator.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Haunted House looks legit.

Also looks like 250-300. Sigh.

One of these days I'm just gonna sell everything and wave goodbye to this expensive hobby.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Haunted House looks legit.

Also looks like 250-300. Sigh.

One of these days I'm just gonna sell everything and wave goodbye to this expensive hobby.

Just rank the ones you love the most to the least, then condense what what you have to like 5-10 sets. I only collect some cars and minifigures at this point. Although that new pirate ship...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

rockinricky posted:

The UCS Brick Separator.

this is awesome

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

rockinricky posted:

The UCS Brick Separator.

nice!

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Local Craigslist post. All these are set up together in the picture 100%. He's asking for 2k. My girlfriend told me no

10255 Assembly Square
10264 Corner Garage
10260 Downtown Diner
10211 Grand Emporium
10232 Palace Cinema
10243 Parisian Restaurant
10246 Detective's Office
10251 Brick Bank
21310 Old Fishing Store
10268 Wind Turbine

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Hot drat, that's quite the deal!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'd say it's quite fair.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You might be being lured into a basement freezer.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dogen posted:

You might be being lured into a basement freezer.

Sounds like a heck of an adventure for $2k, tbh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Duvel posted:

Local Craigslist post. All these are set up together in the picture 100%. He's asking for 2k. My girlfriend told me no

10255 Assembly Square
10264 Corner Garage
10260 Downtown Diner
10211 Grand Emporium
10232 Palace Cinema
10243 Parisian Restaurant
10246 Detective's Office
10251 Brick Bank
21310 Old Fishing Store
10268 Wind Turbine

$2k is a deal for that all new/sealed. Opened/assembled that is overpriced. Looking at BL, the avg used price for all of those combined is less than 2k. So you could definitely get it all on Ebay for less.

If you want it all, offer $1500 and see if he bites. Selling everything at full retail or whatever is generally a bad way to sell a lot.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Considering none of that needs to be shipped and it all comes from one seller it’s a heck of a deal compared to shipping from possibly multiple sellers on BL

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's definitely a great deal for the seller. On Ebay those would sell for less than 2k combined, and he'd have to ship and pay 13% in ebay + PP fees. So if it is a great deal for the seller it's probably not a great deal for the buyer.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So I dropped the base of the Taj Mahal moving it to a table but managed to put it back together :coffeepal:

How do y'all do this many Legos without your fingers hurting all the time?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah id say thats not a particulary good deal, only the Emporium has acrued value, the rest are fairly new and sells for retail price if unopened. If all those ste opened its a poor deal.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I guess I’m thinking from the perspective of actually wanting them to keep and not purely from a resale standpoint. I don’t resell so boxes aren’t a factor for me, and the prospect of getting Brick Bank in any shape or form for less than $300/per set would be exciting. There isn’t a bad set in that bunch.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The amount of one dot pieces that these architecture sets have that I have to manually adjust with the separator is driving me nuts!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I am in no hurry and you're doing me a favor. :) No worries.

Here ya go.

body

Legs

snap arms to ball joints and set in place.

viola

Full disclosure it relatively fragile. I mean it holds together fine and doesn't use illegal connections, but it wouldn't sustain much play or anything. Lot of 1 and 2 stud connections.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In preparation of the new spooky set I ordered a couple of the old Scooby Doo sets, I might pull the trigger on the old Haunted Mansion too. gently caress this stupid expensive hobby.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

In preparation of the new spooky set I ordered a couple of the old Scooby Doo sets, I might pull the trigger on the old Haunted Mansion too. gently caress this stupid expensive hobby.

I justify it by how good Lego resale value is. Not that I have any intention of selling my sets, but I know if I get in a major bind I'll be able to get anywhere from most of my money back to more than I paid depending on the set. Which you can't say about most things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I justify it by how good Lego resale value is. Not that I have any intention of selling my sets, but I know if I get in a major bind I'll be able to get anywhere from most of my money back to more than I paid depending on the set. Which you can't say about most things.

:same: But it's hard to part with this stuff. Maybe someday I'll have a place with a big enough spare room I can create a big Lego city and then stand there and look at it and show it off to people so they can see what a big kid I really am.

Or maybe if I sell my $$$ sets I will want to buy them again and now the price is even greater. It's some weird FOMO sort of thing. Can't take this poo poo to the grave or if I emigrate to Asia. Really that's what will cause me to sell everything. Deciding that I just can't deal with being in the US at all and I've been at 51/49 for some time now. Building sets is pretty much the only surefire way of actually being able to relax. So I keep doing it.

Speaking on building sets. My S20 came in yesterday. I just did the Scuba Diver. Is this the most pieces any figure has had? 3 extra pieces along with 11 for the fig, including the base. Legs, Body, Head, Mask, Snorkel, 2 fins, turtle, pin and posing clip. I can't think of another with this many.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking on building sets. My S20 came in yesterday. I just did the Scuba Diver. Is this the most pieces any figure has had? 3 extra pieces along with 11 for the fig, including the base. Legs, Body, Head, Mask, Snorkel, 2 fins, turtle, pin and posing clip. I can't think of another with this many.
First series I’ve bought a buncha blind bags instead of bricklinking everything, and of the 7 bags I bought yesterday, 4 were the pirate lady :ohdear:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Here ya go.

body

Legs

snap arms to ball joints and set in place.

viola

Full disclosure it relatively fragile. I mean it holds together fine and doesn't use illegal connections, but it wouldn't sustain much play or anything. Lot of 1 and 2 stud connections.

:aaa: I see. Thanks! That looks significantly easier than I expected it to. I think I was overthinking it. Lol at those single dot backpack connectors on the knees. I never would've seen that without seeing it laid out.

Speaking of illegal builds. I really don't know anything about that other than that it's not allowed to put Lego under stress?
In the Dutch Lego Masters they had to build a 3 meter long bridge. The winning team basically made 3 bridge parts. 2 railings made out of triangles and one huge pillar that they put on it's side in the contruction, flanked by the railings. It was the most ugly bridge ever seen, but they ran out of weights to put on it after a while. It's honestly genius putting it on it's side and locking it in as the Lego can't detach sideways nearly as easily as it will detach vertically once pressure is put on the top, but is that even a legal way to build?

ether
May 20, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

Speaking of illegal builds. I really don't know anything about that other than that it's not allowed to put Lego under stress?
In the Dutch Lego Masters they had to build a 3 meter long bridge. The winning team basically made 3 bridge parts. 2 railings made out of triangles and one huge pillar that they put on it's side in the contruction, flanked by the railings. It was the most ugly bridge ever seen, but they ran out of weights to put on it after a while. It's honestly genius putting it on it's side and locking it in as the Lego can't detach sideways nearly as easily as it will detach vertically once pressure is put on the top, but is that even a legal way to build?

I thought it was a genius move, biggest ugly bar ever ;-)

The single jury format (who has a huge turbonerd boner for STORY and minifigs, and has been judging inconsitent every episode) and the focus on people instead of construction/builds makes it less enjoyable to watch for me, although the kids still like it and mimic a lot of the builds the next day.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Darth TNT posted:

"Illegal technique" is a term that describes any way of putting bricks together that LEGO wouldn't/doesn't allow in an official LEGO set for various reasons. It is now a fairly well known and frequently discussed topic since many have seen a .pdf document directly from a LEGO designer's presentation on the topic floating around that talks about a lot of these. It's worth noting that LEGO's standards are organic and change over time.

It's also horseshit, from a MOC-making perspective, because we don't all work for LEGO. Allow me to get cranky-old-man: BACK IN MY DAYYYYY or, at least, back in the lugnet/peeron/brickshelf etc. days, nobody gave a gently caress about illegal connections. Sure, we cared about bent/broken parts and extreme duress like that, but nobody got a stick up their rear end about a technic pin inserted into the underside of a brick. Finding new ways to attach pieces and exploit the constraints of the system was clever, and something to be celebrated. The LEGO document changed that not because it somehow applies to us, but because people read it and decided to start policing peoples' builds with "is that an illegal technique??" all over reddit and flickr and whatever. Some of it is genuine curiosity, but most of it is people trying to play "gotcha."

Also, many who use that document as the gold standard of the way things should be don't even understand the specifics of it, or WHY an illegal technique would internally be considered illegal by LEGO. Look how many people thought that the American Flag 1 x 2 tile on the Saturn V set was illegal, because the document says you can't wedge a plate in between studs. Well guess what? The rules for plates and tiles are different because the issue is with perpendicular studs rubbing on each other, and tiles don't have studs. So I guess that's the other thing that bothers me: people with a very surface-level understanding of a non-issue taking it upon themselves to be the arbiters of it all over the internet.

It's just an even more zealous form of LEGO purism.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My thoughts exactly. I don't know how many times I've had to explain that 'illegal' just means that Lego won't use it in an official set. Who gives a poo poo what you do with your own parts?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've been pinching plates between studs since I was a kid and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop now.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

So I guess that's the other thing that bothers me: people with a very surface-level understanding of a non-issue taking it upon themselves to be the arbiters of it all over the internet.

Same but for everything else on the internet, too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

"Illegal technique" is a term...

Found the guy who uses illegal techniques.

I kid. I didn't realize people took it so seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an awful lot of disrespect for how to interlock bricks in here. You won't all be so dismissive when the lego inquisition shows up and hauls you off to the dungeons for your crimes.