Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Sullivan to Flynn/Barr/Trump et al:

It's over when I say it's over. It's not over.

https://twitter.com/MMineiro_CNS/status/1260329588170862594

I don't understand any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Stultus Maximus posted:

and thats how they keep us down, maaaaan

but for real, tho

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

“Legalese” is actually a synonym for “gibberish”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Lawyers write the law so you have to hire a lawyer to understand the law.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

So the DOJ dropped the case against Flynn - but the case is already technically done, it's already awaiting sentencing with the judge. That means that it is completely in the judge's hands whether to grant the DOJ's motion or not. The case isn't technically in the DOJ's hands right now!

Generally, when the DOJ or any prosecutor is like "lol we're done" the judge just says "ok bye" and that's that. But this judge has already yelled at Flynn, asked him twice about if he's truly pleading guilty, and basically called him a sellout to the country.

So now, the DOJ just said "lol we're done" and the judge just said "HEY WAIT A loving MINUTE. I want to see some friend-of-the-court* briefs on this thing. There was a really smart judge** that said it's a good idea to have friend-of-the-court briefs for big events like these. EVERYONE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK***."

* the judge is going to get friend-of-the-court briefs from the 2000+ former DOJ members that say Barr should resign, plus the Obama DOJ-members will file briefs that Barr is full of poo poo, etc.

** the judge was Amy Berman Jackson, the judge that presided over the Roger Stone case and sentenced him. She's not a unique judge, so that's a signal.

*** the judge could ABSOLUTELY just say NOPE gently caress YOU, WE'RE ONTO SENTENCING NOW, though that would be unexpected. More likely to demand more information from the current DOJ to defend their bullshit.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

The judge is asking for briefs from "friends of the court," i.e. parties who are not actual litigants, with the implication that the people of the United States are not being represented effectively in the matter while also signalling to the AG that if they wanna go this way he can drag this case so they're having major hearings the week before election day

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

LingcodKilla posted:

Also my bad it was D&D in the only thread I follow there but the crossover from TFR posters is considerable and he brings up all good points.

LimbugLimbo is wrong on all three points though lol. He could definitely use that VFG if he held it properly (IE uses it as a handstop and wraps thumb up over barrel not under barrel) and it looks like his stock is pushing on the holster to shift the pistol upwards in that picture. If he shouldered the rifle the pistol would sit below the stock. It's a really dumb place for a holster unless you're mostly working in a vehicle, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Internet Wizard posted:

LimbugLimbo is wrong on all three points though lol. He could definitely use that VFG if he held it properly (IE uses it as a handstop and wraps thumb up over barrel not under barrel) and it looks like his stock is pushing on the holster to shift the pistol upwards in that picture. If he shouldered the rifle the pistol would sit below the stock. It's a really dumb place for a holster unless you're mostly working in a vehicle, though.

I dont know nothing about VFG but that pistol placement is stupid as all hell. Even in a vehicle unless it was cross draw mounted which it isnt.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

That there are now two idealistically opposed heavily armed groups of people openly congregating in the US, none of whom represent any government or legal authority (splitting hairs about second amendment groups/redneck sherrif/whatever), is pretty fuckin scary to me and I don't like it

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

stevobob posted:

That there are now two idealistically opposed heavily armed groups of people openly congregating in the US, none of whom represent any government or legal authority (splitting hairs about second amendment groups/redneck sherrif/whatever), is pretty fuckin scary to me and I don't like it

I don't like that black people feel the need to arm themselves to prevent racially motivated attacks

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

My Spirit Otter posted:

I don't like that black people feel the need to arm themselves to prevent racially motivated attacks

Well this has always been the case

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stevobob posted:

We've seen less than 20 armed black men in two instances in the past month compared to thousands of armed right winged protestors.

One is so rare as to be almost an anomaly. The other is a police and government accepted group.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Daily reminder that men loving suck

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...hit-on-her.html

quote:

Auckland woman 'creeped out' after restaurant worker uses her contact tracing details to hit on her

While New Zealand is being told to share their personal information to help contact tracing, Newshub has discovered an example where it can go wrong.

An Auckland woman says she feels shaken and vulnerable after a North Shore restaurant worker misused her personal information to make numerous approaches to her.

Newshub understands a Subway restaurant worker has now been suspended after the woman complained.

"I had to put my details on their contact tracing form which I didn't think anything of. It asked for my name, home address, email address and phone number so I put all those details down," she tells Newshub.

Except in Jess's case she didn't just take away a sandwich from the Subway restaurant she was at. She also got a Facebook request, Instagram request, Facebook messenger approach and a text from the guy who served her, using her contact tracing details.

"I felt pretty gross, he made me feel really uncomfortable," she says.

"He's contacting me, I didn't ask him to do that, I don't want that.

"I'm lucky that I live with quite a few people because if that was me by myself at home - he knows my address you know - I'd feel really, really scared. Even now I feel a bit creeped out and vulnerable."

It's left Jess so rattled she doesn't want her identity known, but she's telling her story in the hope others won't have to go through the same thing.

The Privacy Commission says businesses should only be custodians of the information they're given for public health purposes and it's concerned this sort of incident could make the public wary of leaving their details.

"It's absolutely essential that businesses treat this information exclusively for pandemic management," says Privacy Commissioner John Edwards.

"If they let it be abused by staff members it's going to undermine the whole system and that can put people at risk."

Subway says it's spoken to the woman and the employee has been suspended, pending the outcome of an investigation.

If found to have misused personal information, they'll be disciplined.

"You just want to know that that information is protected and it's not going to be misused for some dude to just text you because he fancies you, that's not the point of the information," Jess says.

Subway says that from Wednesday, a new digital contact tracing system will be in place at all restaurants. Guests will register their details electronically and information will be held securely for the purposes of contact tracing. The information can only be accessed in response to government contact tracing requests.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

We've seen less than 20 armed black men in two instances in the past month compared to thousands of armed right winged protestors.

One is so rare as to be almost an anomaly. The other is a police and government accepted group.
Armed men stormed multiple states' capitols and the response from the federal government was in support of the armed protestors. Things are so unabashedly hosed right now.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Armed men stormed multiple states' capitols and the response from the federal government was in support of the armed protestors. Things are so unabashedly hosed right now.

the atf or whomever should have handled the bundy thing way differently. i think that gave confidence to a lot of these nutbags

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I don’t think the government is failing when it comes to armed people storming the capital.

I think we are just seeing that our social contract is bullshit and largely enforced by racism.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Woofer posted:

I don’t think the government is failing when it comes to armed people storming the capital.

I think we are just seeing that our social contract is bullshit and largely enforced by racism.

i don't think the armed people storming the capitol are very concerned about systematic racism

edit: misunderstood the post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My Spirit Otter posted:

the atf or whomever should have handled the bundy thing way differently. i think that gave confidence to a lot of these nutbags

If they did something the conservatives would have hated obama!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

What they were actually worried about was inspiring a round of McVeigh and Nichols imitators.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

what a shame

https://twitter.com/MW_Unrest/status/1260328989425569794

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MRC48B posted:

What they were actually worried about was inspiring a round of McVeigh and Nichols imitators.

as usual they missed the forest for the trees

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MRC48B posted:

They inspired them into picking up guns instead

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

"It's absolutely essential that businesses treat this information exclusively for pandemic management," says Privacy Commissioner John Edwards.

And marketing, of course. No business on earth is going to discard all that contact information unadvertised-to.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

And marketing, of course. No business on earth is going to discard all that contact information unadvertised-to.

my first thought as well

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Brute Squad posted:

what a shame

I got offered a job as senior engineer (despite being a scientist) at a place in Ohio a year or so ago and turned it down (despite, loads of money) due to a load of my US mates telling me "Yeh hexyflexy, you're a black british gay dude, you'll get shot in about 5 seconds". They also explained that Ohio was the most racist place they'd seen in the US.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ohio is awful, yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hexyflexy posted:

I got offered a job as senior engineer (despite being a scientist) at a place in Ohio a year or so ago and turned it down (despite, loads of money) due to a load of my US mates telling me "Yeh hexyflexy, you're a black british gay dude, you'll get shot in about 5 seconds". They also explained that Ohio was the most racist place they'd seen in the US.

I mean, Ohio honestly isn't the worst place the USA has by any stretch of the imagination, but its terribleness has a pretty unique flavor to it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As with anywhere in the South, stick to the cities, avoid the backwoods.

Illinois too. It's very similar to Ohio in the corn counties. Like, same brand of dip, but vanilla instead of minty rear end in a top hat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We should stop pretending this is a southern problem

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Incredible username combo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

But the alternative is to admit it's an american problem and the rest of the country doesn't seem ready to admit that yet

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The problem is all of these god damned back country yokels that live between the civilized parts of the country.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

we thought the internet would give the back country yokels access to information but it just gave them a platform to gather on

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustang posted:

The problem is all of these god damned back country yokels that live between the civilized parts of the country.

Yeah, Los Angeles is a loving blight compared to San Diego and the Bay Area.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

My Spirit Otter posted:

we thought the internet would give the back country yokels access to information but it just gave them a platform to gather on

Turning plowshares back into bigger and sharper swords.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, Los Angeles is a loving blight compared to San Diego and the Bay Area.

Agreed. I have spent a decade trying to learn to like LA but it's like all the bad parts of other cities, plus extra smog and traffic, and none of the redeeming features like cool architecture or history.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

Agreed. I have spent a decade trying to learn to like LA but it's like all the bad parts of other cities, plus extra smog and traffic, and none of the redeeming features like cool architecture or history.

Food? I think of food (and traffic) when I think of LA

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hekk posted:

Tar Pits man.

Tar pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Tar Pits man.

Tar pits.

But enough about Hollywoo