Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i love my dead poser son

I posted this in another horror thread and I keep looking for a reason to post it here.

Edit-- it was because someone mentioned liking Zombie's Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

COOL CORN posted:

Good enough answer for me

Its honestly the single most important thing when I ask "Is this horror?" Do I feel comfortable putting it with my horror movies or does it feel like it belongs with the other movies?

"You know it when you see it."

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I posted this in another horror thread and I keep looking for a reason to post it here.

Edit-- it was because someone mentioned liking Zombie's Halloween

MODS MY NEW AV ❤❤❤❤

bffs <3

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I put a copy of 101 Dalmatians on my horror shelf one night and left it there over night. The next day it said 101 Dalmatians Massacre.

Be careful what shelf you put your movies on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

dorium posted:

I put a copy of 101 Dalmatians on my horror shelf one night and left it there over night. The next day it said 101 Dalmatians Massacre.

Be careful what shelf you put your movies on.

The house invader Lurdiak strikes again.....

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ehhh, the thing is that these are both wrong; with Annihilation, you do have a literal alien in the diegesis, and it is very crucial to understand how that functions.

The mistake of the typical 'Ending Explained' video is not that they treat the alien as literal, but that they have a very limited understanding of "alien-ness". Like, in a philisophical sense. And this guy actually makes a similar mistake by reducing the story to a Campbellian journey of self-realization and personal growth, where the particulars of how this New Agey space poo poo actually works are dismissed as "ambiguous". That's obscurantism.

Nah, him saying that a lot of analysis blurs the line of fan fiction is entirely correct. The most easily accessible film crit for your average person just looking to learn more about the movie they saw is CinemaSins/AVGN/Plinkett style pointing out "plot holes" or 45 minute videos titled "AUDIO ANALYSIS: WHAT BILL MURRAY WHISPERED IN LOST IN TRANSLATION" or "Dream Within a Dream: Why The Inception Top Will Keep Spinning (1/5)."

weekly font fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 12, 2020

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there's a ENDING EXPLAINED YouTube video for basically every movie ever now and it drives me mental

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I kinda loathe all those "explained!" or "X reacts" videos, but this showed up in my feed last week and there's just something awesome about people watching The Thing for the first time, completely blind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbPaYvI4Nc

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeaaaaaaaaa! I know what I’m doing on my birthday now.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Stryder posted:

I kinda loathe all those "explained!" or "X reacts" videos, but this showed up in my feed last week and there's just something awesome about people watching The Thing for the first time, completely blind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbPaYvI4Nc

Its the dog scene isn't it? That husky they got did a super good job at being a creepy sinister presence.
EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA yessssssssss!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clbTFR9GqAs

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

Nah, him saying that a lot of analysis blurs the line of fan fiction is entirely correct.

That's not the part that I take issue with.

The issue is that the host of your video contrasts the failure of those other videos with notions of "density"/"depth", and the intellectual appraisal thereof. So you get this patter about the film being a very deep character study about, like, PTSD and stuff.

But because he's focused on this pat self-realization narrative, he somehow misses that the trauma of the characters is caused by a literal war between the US Government and this alien force. The experience of the alien as a third character, insofar as it is a character, is completely ignored - and that's as dumb as some poo poo-take where ET is just Elliot's imaginary friend or something.

This bad reading isn't just an annoyance because, as is usually is the case, it's a depoliticization of the material. Like, "those foolish plebs are concerned about the fate of the people incarcerated in the government black site. But I, the intellectual, have determined that that stuff isn't real. Instead, here are Alex Garland's profound New Age tips for revitalizing your marriage."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stryder posted:

Yeah, okay, I'm a sucker for this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I showed my disinterested college class the blood test scene and they were glued to the screen

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just watched The Platform, was pretty dope I guess, was kind of thrown off how the "Crazy Lady Looking For Fake Son" plot went but I'm just going to assume that's some kind of pointless tragedy of capitalism angle much like the rest of the film. I'd loving kill for a Samurai Plus, ironically

Also, I'm a sucker for anthology movies, they may be my favorite way to present horror stories, so I'm glad to see we're getting a Tales From the Hood 3! What's everyone's favorite anthology horror film/collection. For modern films I like V/H/S 2 (especially Safe Haven) and Southbound was kind of dope at least in regards to how they tie all the stories together, maybe not for the individual stories themselves lol

e: they made another V/H/S but only for Snapchat? And you need to install Snapchat to watch it??? what the gently caress

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 12, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

Also, I'm a sucker for anthology movies, they may be my favorite way to present horror stories, so I'm glad to see we're getting a Tales From the Hood 3! What's everyone's favorite anthology horror film/collection. For modern films I like V/H/S 2 (especially Safe Haven) and Southbound was kind of dope at least in regards to how they tie all the stories together, maybe not for the individual stories themselves lol

e: they made another V/H/S but only for Snapchat? And you need to install Snapchat to watch it??? what the gently caress

All the old Amicus anthologies are worth watching, even if most of them have a dud or two. Tales From the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, From Beyond the Grave, Asylum, etc

Tales of Terror and Dead of Night (1945) are my favorite "classic" anthologies, and for something more modern I love Trick R Treat

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's not the part that I take issue with.

Well that’s why I posted it but go off king

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

horror analysis but its me and cool corn cracking brews and analyzing the poser

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

horror analysis but its me and cool corn cracking brews and analyzing the poser

So just looking in a mirror while drinking?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

Well that’s why I posted it but go off king

Thing is that everybody knows that "Ending Explained" videos suck. Undoubtedly, even the people making them know this. Nobody takes pride in that work, like "yeah, I did an insanely good job of rephrasing a wikipedia article over some screencaps. This is my best explanation video yet." What's interesting is why these videos fail - and it's not anti-intellectualism. Like, as if they just need to be "more intellectual" and everything will be right with the world.

It's actually a much more basic ideological failure, where they just uncritically accept and repeat the preferred reading of a given film. The bad videos and this Dan Olson guy actually both agree with Garland's basic new-age ideology, that the alien is a threat to be done away with, etc. They are, however unwittingly, allied. They supplement and complement each other.

In dismissing the "surface reading" of the text to focus on the "deep themes", Olson cedes that ground. He leaves that reading unchallenged - just as the "Everything Explained" people leave "deep" analysis to "the intellectuals". There's no actual disagreement.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched Coherence last night. I liked it but id be lying if I said I really fully understood it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I watched Coherence last night. I liked it but id be lying if I said I really fully understood it.

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHuc2sWIuA4

:laugh:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

hahaha

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im gonna need a DEEPER analysis

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Amazing

For real though, Coherence fuckin owns

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Oh Jesus, this guy is awful

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Every horror movie just uses fear and violence as an expression of the writer's horniness.

Horror and horny are two sides of the same coin

Like and subscribe and don't forget to mash that bell for more analysis vids

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone seen Faults? I thought it was a pretty neat and funny cult deprogramming movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

graventy posted:

Has anyone seen Faults? I thought it was a pretty neat and funny cult deprogramming movie.

Faults was low key one of my favorite movies of whatever year it came out. I've been meaning to check out The At of Self Defence from the same writer/director, Riley Stearns.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Amazing

For real though, Coherence fuckin owns

Coherence is great and stands up to a rewatch pretty well, since there's a lot you pick up on that you probably missed the first time.

It was also made for like $50. They had access to someone's home and a box of glow sticks and they just fuckin' went for it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Coherence is a fun double-feature with +1 because it's almost the same premise, and came out the same year, but takes the plot and a similar ending conceit in a completely different direction.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Horror and horny are two sides of the same coin

fran new thread title plz

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I had spent the entirety of my life having not watched any of the Exorcist sequels/prequels and decided to correct that to numerous results.

Exorcist 2
I don't know if this deserves the "worst film ever" plaudits that it got, but it's pretty tough to get through, it's intermittently funny which I don't think was remotely the intention and kind of bizarre, but also not bizarre enough to be entertaining. I am glad it exists though.

Exorcist III
I was most excited by this one as it's the one that everyone says is awesome. And it was! Mostly. I kind of felt some ideas didn't come across too well and it sludged a bit in the middle but that scare is worth it and it's got a very oppressive feel, and it a very eerie vibe and atmosphere. It was cool.

Exorcist: The Beginning
I actually thought there some okay aspects to this, but it's brief moments in a really weird, way too action packed and silly film. The nadir was at the end where you have the possessed lady running down a tunnel and Merrin trying to stop her and it's kind of funny to see Renny Harlin try to inject some high octane action into a scene that really shouldn't have it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8UFEi34Rc

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
Weirdly, I heard this was a mild improvement on the above. But I think I actually preferred Beginning, this is so sedate and formless. The staging has nothing too it, and it just feels incredibly slack to get through. The whole incident of them just cancelling the film and starting from the top is fascinating but I think it's only worth watching it as an almost academic exercise (exorcise?) to compare the two.

I'm probably going to move onto to the TV series at some point because I've heard good things and I'm curious.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Green Knight has been officially delayed as of today with no new release date. No idea why it took A24 this long to make the announcement, honestly.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Faults was low key one of my favorite movies of whatever year it came out. I've been meaning to check out The At of Self Defence from the same writer/director, Riley Stearns.

Faults was really good, I may rewatch it. Also I just watched the Art of Self Defense and it was just as good, if not better (although I wouldn't say it's horror in the least). It's on hulu if you have that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karloff posted:

I'm probably going to move onto to the TV series at some point because I've heard good things and I'm curious.

I definitely need to get around to watching the whole thing. I missed a few early episodes of the series for some reason, then had no idea it got a second. It probably didn't help it was on Friday nights, where I was likely to grab a pint and a pile of wings before heading home

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely need to get around to watching the whole thing. I missed a few early episodes of the series for some reason, then had no idea it got a second. It probably didn't help it was on Friday nights, where I was likely to grab a pint and a pile of wings before heading home

I think it's on Prime now, in the UK at least, maybe elsewhere as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sarchasm posted:

The Green Knight has been officially delayed as of today with no new release date. No idea why it took A24 this long to make the announcement, honestly.

First Saunt Maud and now this, I'm crushed