Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
He starts near the Dragon Isles on ME, so probably the samething in Vortex as well, which are located off the W coast of Lustria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those are the turtle islands, aren't they?

Like there should be an entire other continent between the western coast of lustria and the islands off the big gulf to the east of the worlds edge mountains.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any chance of us getting the full Vortex and WH1 maps stitched together for WH3 ME?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

So... actually no! I left off some information there

Certain units are considered Priority Targets. These are Lords, Heroes, Chariots and maybe Single-unit monsters (not sure about that one)

Any time an AoE cone contains a Priority Target, ALL damage is focused on that target. Units still get knocked around, but the surrounding unit will take 0 damage from the AoE attack. Instead, it will all be focused on the Priority Target.
The reason it's best to duel enemy lords with a bunch of infantry support is because those infantry are now taking 0 damage and getting free attacks on the lord who is focused on your lord.

This is true, but if your lord is inside of a friendly unit, he will still end up taking less damage just because the enemy lord will often take swings at random mooks in some completely different direction. They aren't very good at laser focusing on one target.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any chance of us getting the full Vortex and WH1 maps stitched together for WH3 ME?

no
the third game combined map will be further truncated to encourage encounters

a full full map would be fuckin huge and dope

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The full map would still be smaller than Empire, right?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

The full map would still be smaller than Empire, right?

Now I want empire total war 2. Even though it's the buggiest total war, it had the most hours played until warhammer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want warhammer total war except with all the mechanics from Empire.

So I want to build a bunch of star forts across the northern coast to blow up invading mammoth stacks.

Honestly I like quite a few of the older game mechanics and I wish they could be brought back with some of the good new features. Building forts (with built in garrisons) actual population levels (with razing causing permanent damage) controls for unit formations (density and specific stuff like pike blocks) and maybe running actually makes you tired again, actual garrisonable buildings and stuff on maps, the underway using the fall of the samurai railroad model.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 13, 2020

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Imrik apparently gets 5 unique named dragons, presumably this is his dragon taming thing:

https://imgur.com/a/j8Fcpyr

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

From that dlc unit video, it seems like the Rogue Idol's idle animation includes it removing its own head and holding it up high. The video cuts it out so I'm not sure, but I really hope it does.

Also, loving lol at the trapper keeper elves comment a couple of pages ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Failing to finish off Kroq-Gar to focus on killing rats is turning out to be a huge mistake in my Malus campaign. He's really loving stubborn about not wanting to make peace.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
He fought a swirling vortex of chaos for a hundred of your lifetimes - you think your war is somehow special?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vampire Coast (Dreadfleet) is a million times more fun than Norsca, good god. The only thing I don't really like so far is the treasure map gimmick. Way too spread out to be worth it, even if you just send heroes. Doesn't even equal out their upkeep.

Mourngul Haunter is an absolute beast. I have one named something like Jeff that is just unstoppable.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats Eltharion's start. We are asking about Imrik, the other High Elf LL that is coming as the FLC associated with Eltharion's DLC.

Isn't that where the everqueen starts?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
now this is the warhammer jank I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY_gGq7veXk

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

tithin posted:

Nah, that's Yvresse. She starts in Avelorn.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't want to rub it in but it's a good time to be a High Elf player.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I once more come seeking aid.

The terrain is very hilly, benefit, I have the hills, downside, there's a lot of trees. None of the armies coming in are particularly large but I'm also dumb and bad and I threw this army together in like 5 seconds praying to get some force up there.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The thing I’m actually most stoked about is that I can play Orcs and not have to spent 80 turns fighting Dwarves.

It’s a pain in the rear end, and it makes me sad, because Dwarves are one of my favorite factions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Not having to wait for Waaagh!s to catch up to your armies anymore is going to be a godsend for fighting Dwarfs. Just give the Waaagh! to the AI, let them blunder into ranged fire, while you demonstrate Gud Taktikz and flank the bastards.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

The only thing I don't really like so far is the treasure map gimmick. Way too spread out to be worth it, even if you just send heroes. Doesn't even equal out their upkeep.

Mourngul Haunter is an absolute beast. I have one named something like Jeff that is just unstoppable.

Trash the treasure maps in places that you aren't interested in going to for some other reason; new treasure maps will spawn to replace them. Mostly I just use them for some extra money while sending heroes out to start fight clubs pirate coves.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Onmi posted:

The terrain is very hilly, benefit, I have the hills, downside, there's a lot of trees. None of the armies coming in are particularly large but I'm also dumb and bad and I threw this army together in like 5 seconds praying to get some force up there.

Can you show what you're facing, or list it? Your army looks like it should be able to handle most things with relative ease so I'm not sure why you need help.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

tithin posted:

Uh.

Green circle is Everqueen.
White Circle is Tyrion.
Big red box is Yvresse's flag; little red box is where the settlement that Eltharion starts with is.

ad090 posted:

He starts near the Dragon Isles on ME, so probably the samething in Vortex as well, which are located off the W coast of Lustria.
What? There are no "Dragon Isles" off the west coast of Lustria on the Vortex map :confused: Khalida, Teclis, and Tehenhauin already start over there so I dont know where you would expect Imrik to slot in. Which is why I made the joke about him starting on Ulthuan, in Caledor, which is where is he is from.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Carcer posted:

Can you show what you're facing, or list it? Your army looks like it should be able to handle most things with relative ease so I'm not sure why you need help.

I was against 3 stacks of Norscan, I immediately freak out and doubt myself based on what the game tells me via the Auto-Resolve bar. I can't think in terms of trees/hills, and freak when I'm on bad terrain. I managed to win that one by keeping most of my army hidden, letting the ranged mostly fight in the open, and then bringing out my melee when I'd whittled them all down.

I then later had this fight.

I managed to turn it into a Valiant Defeat and take out Sigvald and Sarthorael.

Main reason I lost was I was focused more on preservation and retreated units before they could be wiped out, meaning a lot of my troops survived the battle to fight another day, while most of Sarth and Sig's stacks were wiped out. Still, I didn't get their artillery (it never spawned in) so I had to abandon Praag and regroup in my territory to replenish.

This game's been more fun, Dwarfs got stomped by Grimgor so I wound up sending Karl to bail them out with a few stacks. Gelt's down south fighting the Skaven too. The Wood Elves decided to gently caress Bretonia, so they never got a chance to steamroll the Norscan tribes. And I managed to isolate Marienberg to a fort, which I repeatedly used to train up one of my lords, and, in turn, made... odd friends?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 13, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Onmi posted:

ABC: Always Be Choosing blue for Lightning Strike. You can advance on multiple stacks or bait them with Ambush, even setting up an Ambush within the city garrison circle is worth a shot.

Trees aren't that big a deal unless you can't see the enemy at all. You've got a good flexible front and enough ranged to focus targets down 1-2 at a time as well as an artillery block. Mortars can fire freely, make sure luminarch and cannon prioritize large targets if available, especially single monsters or large Lords(horseback = large!) You have enough cavalry to do precision work, dismantle any backline ranged/artillery or isolated flankers with them, otherwise they're the hammer for an anvil. Even the outriders can do it, firing into backs is A+ stuff. Make sure ranged on horses have skirmish on.

Edit for 2nd post: Something I ALWAYS do against Chaos stacks even when horribly outmatched because it's just the city garrison is have fast flankers dismantle hellcannons. It can be a little tricky because the cannon breaks fast but the actual squad is unbreakable so you have to kill them to the last, but Chaos is such a frontline army they'll usually leave them totally isolated. I've even run suicide siege defenses as factions like Skaven just to dump the Menace From Below into dismantling that artillery, makes later fights with the same stack far easier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Doomykins posted:

ABC: Always Be Choosing blue for Lightning Strike. You can advance on multiple stacks or bait them with Ambush, even setting up an Ambush within the city garrison circle is worth a shot.

Trees aren't that big a deal unless you can't see the enemy at all. You've got a good flexible front and enough ranged to focus targets down 1-2 at a time as well as an artillery block. Mortars can fire freely, make sure luminarch and cannon prioritize large targets if available, especially single monsters or large Lords(horseback = large!) You have enough cavalry to do precision work, dismantle any backline ranged/artillery or isolated flankers with them, otherwise they're the hammer for an anvil. Even the outriders can do it, firing into backs is A+ stuff. Make sure ranged on horses have skirmish on.

Edit for 2nd post: Something I ALWAYS do against Chaos stacks even when horribly outmatched because it's just the city garrison is have fast flankers dismantle hellcannons. It can be a little tricky because the cannon breaks fast but the actual squad is unbreakable so you have to kill them to the last, but Chaos is such a frontline army they'll usually leave them totally isolated. I've even run suicide siege defenses as factions like Skaven just to dump the Menace From Below into dismantling that artillery, makes later fights with the same stack far easier.

Oh that Lord had lightning strike, it was a defensive battle.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
https://content.totalwar.com/total-war/com.totalwar.www2019/uploads/2020/05/04174750/Grom-Mortal-Empires-1320x1080-copy.jpg
Grom starts on Massif actually because there is a grey settlement icon on top of it.

A dev said but I think hes wrong now... that Imriks starting position is supposed to be on the capital of Plain of Bones just west of Dragon Isles (close to Malus and Sniktch). But the youtubers and such say he starts ON Dragon Isles with Malus? Anyway... heres some juicy details I THINK you fellas missed so far...

Darkhold one of the smaller settlements in Plain of Bones province has landmarks for a few factions now... and the High Elf one...

https://imgur.com/a/i6T0LDq

All of those stats together make the building great especially for a early province but what makes it amazing is being able to recruit Dragon Princes from tier 3. Its also why I'm unsure about Imriks starting position because I get the impression that he might be the 'easy' choice for High Elves kinda like Gor-Rok. But maybe it was TOO easy and they decided to move him to Dragon Isles later in development? Hmm hmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNZsxLQctLk
Forgot to post his video. He talks about this landmark and others after 9:35 but there is plenty small tidbits throughout his entire video.

Jum-Jum fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 13, 2020

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Uh.

Green circle is Everqueen.
White Circle is Tyrion.
Big red box is Yvresse's flag; little red box is where the settlement that Eltharion starts with is.

What? There are no "Dragon Isles" off the west coast of Lustria on the Vortex map :confused: Khalida, Teclis, and Tehenhauin already start over there so I dont know where you would expect Imrik to slot in. Which is why I made the joke about him starting on Ulthuan, in Caledor, which is where is he is from.

There are islands directly west of the Jungles of Green Mist province called the Dragon Isles on the vortex map.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How do I apply FLC to my game? I know its always been a clusterfuck but I am completely flummoxed right now. Downloading it opens the launcher, which directs me back to steam.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

The Bramble posted:

How do I apply FLC to my game? I know its always been a clusterfuck but I am completely flummoxed right now. Downloading it opens the launcher, which directs me back to steam.

Sometimes you gotta launch the game for it to just recognize that you have the FLC.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

ad090 posted:

There are islands directly west of the Jungles of Green Mist province called the Dragon Isles on the vortex map.

You’re holding the map upside down. It’s East of the Southlands, not West of Lustria.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Putting a dude with a dragon right next to Malus would be a pretty big incentive to keep Hag Graef.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Turin confirmed in one of his vids that Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns got a huge armor buff. Anyone know if any streamers have done a comparison on any other stat changes coming up for older units? Most are completely focused on the new stuff.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Putting a dude with a dragon right next to Malus would be a pretty big incentive to keep Hag Graef.

Eh, nothing the Darkshards can't handle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

You’re holding the map upside down. It’s East of the Southlands, not West of Lustria.
Actually no he's right:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Actually no he's right:

both of you are right, the warhammer planet is a globe. :smug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My god what a lovely province that is in Vortex, too. Its huuuuuge and only has one minor settlement.

punishedkissinger posted:

both of you are right, the warhammer planet is a globe. :smug:
Hah, fair enough. Too bad there is supposed to be a whole other continent in between where the Dragon Isles are in ME vs where they are in Vortex :v:

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It's all good, also I was wrong and he starts next to Grom in vortex, watching legend do a vortex Grom, and Imrik is in Ka-Sabar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
Eltharion starts with a hero named Cavill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHdoOxs_LQ&t=159s