Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

What actually IS the cal arts style

stephen universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's when you draw she-ra like a human instead of a blow up doll

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

T-man posted:

It's when you draw she-ra like a human instead of a blow up doll

It's when you draw she-ra as a baloon animal instead of a blow up doll.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
asides from a small cult following (say like how there were my little pony fans decades before bronies were a thing) was there anyone who gave a poo poo about she-ra before the online nerd crowd through a shitfit over the remake?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Uncle Wemus posted:

What actually IS the cal arts style

Imo the style looks a lot like sketches/doodles, is more stylized, and draws more inspiration from Japanese animation instead of the Cartoon Network art I grew up with, which definitely cleaved toward aping thick line styles, ie classic WB/Hannah Barbera/Fleischer Bros, etc.

It also doesn’t help that, during the rise to prominence of the style, the internet became so ingrained in all of our lives that you could literally get moment to moment life, thought and feelings updates on creators whose work you respect, and people are still adapting to what anyone who has spent any time near or in art school already knew; an animator is not so much a magician that sings to life the dreams of a generation as they are broken brained, horny obsessives that mainly got into sequential art because genitals drop off & scurry away to hide under wood piles whenever they attempt to ply their woo on the living.

The style gets unfairly denigrated as a result.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Joke: Learning about politicking from The West Wing

Bespoke: Learning about politicking from Borgia Faith and Fear

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Everything I needed to know about politics I learned from Ghost in the Shell: all power is suspect and will kill for its own interest and no other, be a sexy lesbian robot person and merge with the first AI you meet. Then be super vague in the second movie nobody cares about.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Also some subtle racism against the chinese

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'm watching the first episode of Solar Opposites, couple minutes in, and I am now pretty sure Dan Harmon is the sole reason Rick & Morty isn't a big dirty diaper full of "jokes". Little dense, pellet shaped "jokes" that indicate the creator needs to see a doctor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm watching the first episode of Solar Opposites, couple minutes in, and I am now pretty sure Dan Harmon is the sole reason Rick & Morty isn't a big dirty diaper full of "jokes". Little dense, pellet shaped "jokes" that indicate the creator needs to see a doctor.

Not surprising, but all the same how much of a lunatic do you have to be for Dan Harmon to be the stabilizing influence in the partnership.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Justin Roiland has one joke

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the parks on fire and there's no driver at the wheel, but it's ok bc the fire brigade did it lol

https://twitter.com/Sci_Phile/status/1258490464166203397

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've been spending lockdown rewatching Community since it's on Netflix now, and man the disparity in quality between season 4 and literally every other season makes Dan Harmon look like a comedy genius. I wouldn't be at all surprised if everything funny about Rick and Morty is him.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

rick and morty is funny when ur high, navel gazing poop jokes otherwise

mlyp

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/imp_kid/status/1258859646313476096?s=21

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

the most cursed reply combo of adolescent teenage girls and adolescent adult white gay men

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I've been spending lockdown rewatching Community since it's on Netflix now, and man the disparity in quality between season 4 and literally every other season makes Dan Harmon look like a comedy genius. I wouldn't be at all surprised if everything funny about Rick and Morty is him.

I was doing the same thing and hard stalled when season three was over, just because I didn’t want to watch season 4. Say it what you want about Harmon being alcoholic genx manbaby, but man does he know what he’s doing in a writers room.

General Dog posted:

Not surprising, but all the same how much of a lunatic do you have to be for Dan Harmon to be the stabilizing influence in the partnership.

My favorite Dan Harmon is a severely broken human being story is the one about he and his (now ex) wife were at the mall and she said something he didn’t like, so he ran away, hid somewhere and texted her insults. He’s a textbook example of what Hollywood can do to your brain if you were already a little unstable and it starts calling you a genius in your early 20s, before you have a chance to truly learn how stupid you are, instead of just thinking or saying you’re dumb so that people will think you’re approachable.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

vyelkin posted:

judging from the behind the scene stuff, it seems like roiland is responsible for names and funny voices and is occasionally the inspiration for one of the characters doing something really dumb

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I was doing the same thing and hard stalled when season three was over, just because I didn’t want to watch season 4. Say it what you want about Harmon being alcoholic genx manbaby, but man does he know what he’s doing in a writers room.

I rewatched all of season 4 and it's just hot garbage. The only episode I remotely enjoyed was the one with the Germans (404 I think) so my advice is to watch that one, skip the rest, and go straight to season 5. There are more good jokes in episode 501 than in all of season 4 put together. Also, in an extremely Dan Harmon move, in season 5 they repeatedly refer to season 4 as "the gas leak year".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MizPiz posted:

Joke: Learning about politicking from The West Wing

Bespoke: Learning about politicking from Borgia Faith and Fear

Borgia is so good and it looks even better if you watch an episode of the way shittier "The Borgias"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Contrapoints posted a nearly 90 minute long video on the concept of cringe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBsaJPkt2Q

I'm one of those freaks who likes long videos because my non-existent attention span needs constant background noise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

vyelkin posted:

I rewatched all of season 4 and it's just hot garbage. The only episode I remotely enjoyed was the one with the Germans (404 I think) so my advice is to watch that one, skip the rest, and go straight to season 5. There are more good jokes in episode 501 than in all of season 4 put together. Also, in an extremely Dan Harmon move, in season 5 they repeatedly refer to season 4 as "the gas leak year".

I watched all of the initial run, including the mythical Yahoo Screen season, and I'd say the first three are really the only ones I care to revisit. Season 4 was poor of course, but 5 and 6 also never quite get their footing again with Donald Glover gone. I'd go so far as to say the show was already showing some signs of wear by season 3.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

I watched all of the initial run, including the mythical Yahoo Screen season, and I'd say the first three are really the only ones I care to revisit. Season 4 was poor of course, but 5 and 6 also never quite get their footing again with Donald Glover gone. I'd go so far as to say the show was already showing some signs of wear by season 3.

I agree that 5 and 6 are more uneven, but having (nearly) finished rewatching season 5 now it's actually a lot better than I remember and has some solid episodes and bits in it, and while losing Donald Glover is a big blow, the season-long guest stars also do some really good work.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is there a meltdown may thread? having trouble tracking what everyone's tweeting about, like why chrissy tiegen went private (with 13 million followers lol)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
people were making fun of Chrissy for trying to act like a normal person when she is a famous gajillionaire and also about some stupid product line she slapped her name on. and after she locked they were laughing at her for locking her account like a regular person when she's a rich famous person with millions of followers.

twitter. huh.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

youve heard of eternal september, now get ready for eternal meltdown may

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
meltdown millennium

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how does going protected even help when you've got millions of followers who can still see your posts anyway

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

That all started because a New York Times writer gave a controversial interview to help launch her vintage spoon start-up. In the interview she called Chrissy Teigen a sellout. This is the light hearted drama we need during these dark times.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Egg Moron posted:

my favorite example of the ideological head fake is Tommy Lee Jones in Under Siege as rogue CIA officer Bill Strannix who pretends to be a psychotic, vague 60s revolutionary when in reality, he only wants to smuggle the battleships nuclear armed tomahawks onto a stolen submarine to sell the nukes on the black market.

The same movie had Gary Busey as a drag queen

Serf
May 5, 2011

i rewatched the 2001 movie "evolution" and my only thought is that orlando jones is carrying that film from start to finish

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Been watching Reno 911! It still holds up in some places, but it's the kind of show that would not be made today.

I know it portrays the police force as a group of bumbling idiots, but I can't help but feel a lot of the jokes would try to get the show canceled by woke twitter today.

That being said, it is being rebooted, on a service no one uses (Quibi?), and in 7 min increments.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Forceholy posted:

I can't help but feel a lot of the jokes would try to get the show canceled by woke twitter today.
I kind of feel like "woke twitter" as potent force, independent of liberal intelligentsia and celebrity culture, is a mirage. Bill Maher still has a TV show despite being utter poo poo. Everyone forgets about The Man Show whenever Jimmy Kimmel sucks up to his fellow rich and famous peers.

Not sure how much people can relate, but I kind of feel like my cultural alienation happened in two "waves". The second wave is the one more familiar to CSPAM, the one where shitlibs, including POC and "intersectionist" shitlibs, started punching left and using woke language and ideas cynically to justify liberal meritocracy and gatekeeping.

But I'm still scarred by the first "wave" too, which was before that woke culture became general liberal orthodoxy. Usually it's a cis white liberal man just doubling down on being racist or condescending. Bill Maher feels like a surviving legacy example of this. I'd lump Seth MacFarlane into this category, though I always hated him. Aaron Sorkin is another. Matt Groening and Al Jean doubling down against anti-Apu criticism is a fairly late example of this, and it disappointed me quite a bit even though this was well after most people gave up on The Simpsons.

There's obviously a lot of overlap. White Feminism is one of the connective tissues between the two. Libs walking back on MeToo in TYOOL 2020 is another example of how maybe they're not totally distinct from each other. There's just this general feeling of "I thought you guys were supposed to be the good guys", and it manifested a lot in pop culture for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was always a weapon to shut down those poorer than them, and nothing more.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

But I'm still scarred by the first "wave" too, which was before that woke culture became general liberal orthodoxy. Usually it's a cis white liberal man just doubling down on being racist or condescending. Bill Maher feels like a surviving legacy example of this. I'd lump Seth MacFarlane into this category, though I always hated him. Aaron Sorkin is another. Matt Groening and Al Jean doubling down against anti-Apu criticism is a fairly late example of this, and it disappointed me quite a bit even though this was well after most people gave up on The Simpsons.

the funniest part of the apu issue in the simpsons to me is that ever since that documentary became a thing apu was being slowly phased out of the show its not totally clear why but it seems like azaria took the criticism made in the apu documentary very seriously and started giving the writers poo poo any time they asked him to do the role it was only back in january long after everyone had forgotten the controversy that azaria formally announced he wouldnt be doing apu at all anymore and that the character was effectively dead

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Serf posted:

i rewatched the 2001 movie "evolution" and my only thought is that orlando jones is carrying that film from start to finish

It's funny that they can't come up for anything funny for the one female character to do so they default to "clumsy."

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Clumsy? I thought she was the straight woman in that movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

She trips over maybe twice so Duchovny's character refers to her as a "walking disaster area" or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's funny that they can't come up for anything funny for the one female character to do so they default to "clumsy."

did julianne moore get lost and wind up in the wrong movie? did she need the money badly? its bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Serf posted:

did julianne moore get lost and wind up in the wrong movie? did she need the money badly? its bizarre

I might be talking out of my rear end here, since it's been a long while since I heard the story, but I think she said something along the lines of that at some point she started getting hugely afraid that she'd age out of being allowed in movies, and so she started just taking every role she could.

this at least tracks, and she has a lot of words about women and aging in hollywood, but it at least seems like a more reasonable idea from her than your other shotgun actors like john cusack and nick cage where it's all just gambling debt and creole mausoleums