Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You have a difficulty slider in Journey mode, so you can set it to Expert or Master mode and get the corresponding drops. In Chippy's video you can see the number of accessory slots increases by one in Master difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

VodeAndreas posted:

As Saxophone said - it would be neat if you could combine the Expert/Master special drops with a Journey Mode game to experience all the new stuff at once, don't know if I'll have the patience to wait for any mods that might do that though and feel like I'll just want to get set into it.

I thought they said that'd be built in to Journey mode, no mods required.

e: f, b.

Wish I could timeskip a week already.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh neat - I saw the difficulty slider in his Journey Mode video but wasn't paying enough attention to the slots... Well that's probably good enough for me then!

Awesome

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly i really really appreciate that journey mode is something completely new, never before seen kind of easy mode with its own strengths that actually plays like a game rather than a tool. Not to mention that with the need to hunt down and research each item it does a good job educating people on what is in the game and where to get it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I can see myself killing a boss on normal in Journey mode and then when I'm a little stronger killing that same boss in Expert or Master. It seems like the best way to play that doesn't lock you out of content. Plus, honestly it looks like you'll have to find/craft everything at least once to duplicate it, so it feels far less like cheating. I know when I'm building a base, mining stone is annoying and tedious, even if I'm dynamiting out a hellavator, so being able to just make a stack of it sounds amazing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
What would really blow my mind if they had a last second reveal of "Oh by the way, autoswing is on everything now" for the final patch.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
You're not going to get that. You will get, however, an accessory that makes non-autoswing weapons autoswing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Remember when the player character sprites were obviously copied from ff1? You can still see it in the zombie sprites.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Remember when the player character sprites were obviously copied from ff1? You can still see it in the zombie sprites.
Five, actually. The main PC sprite was a barely edited copy of the main character of 5.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Golf reveal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJGVhYrKWQ

And article: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fore-rraria-hitting-the-links-with-terraria-golf.88539/

Edit: looks fun, as a nice gimmick.

benzine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 11, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks neat, but I guess I was secretly hoping for something like Dark Cloud 2, where you'd get randomized courses and a weighted random reward based on how well you did on them. Courses being purely player made makes obvious sense, but I can't help but wish it was integrated more than just being a side distraction.
Which is, I know, asking a lot for something like golf.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I didn't watch the whole video but can't you just plop a tee down in one place and a hole somewhere else and call it a randomly generated course?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Vib Rib posted:

It looks neat, but I guess I was secretly hoping for something like Dark Cloud 2, where you'd get randomized courses and a weighted random reward based on how well you did on them. Courses being purely player made makes obvious sense, but I can't help but wish it was integrated more than just being a side distraction.
Which is, I know, asking a lot for something like golf.

Spheda was great and made perfect sense in DC2's randomly generated dungeons. I think it would be great if Terraria did a similar thing of golf quests, spawning a random starting spot and a worm hole somewhere nearby you had to hit the ball into, just like spheda. Getting the reward vs course difficulty algorithm right would probably be tough to code, most of Terraria's cave systems would be total horseshit to play golf in terrain wise, not even considering monster spawns. I would absolutely do it anyways though. I want an rear end in a top hat golf NPC to tell me to go get a par in Hell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Silver Snail posted:

Spheda was great and made perfect sense in DC2's randomly generated dungeons. I think it would be great if Terraria did a similar thing of golf quests, spawning a random starting spot and a worm hole somewhere nearby you had to hit the ball into, just like spheda. Getting the reward vs course difficulty algorithm right would probably be tough to code, most of Terraria's cave systems would be total horseshit to play golf in terrain wise, not even considering monster spawns. I would absolutely do it anyways though. I want an rear end in a top hat golf NPC to tell me to go get a par in Hell.
:yeah:
I guess if Terraria had instanced dungeons like the ones you can pop into in Starbound it'd be more fitting. There's a feature I'd love to see -- gates and doors and consumable items like maps and such that warp you to a little pocket dimension dungeon you can fight and loot through. A little Diablo drizzled in couldn't hurt a game like this. Plus it would give you an opportunity to get warped to random golf courses.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I didn't watch the whole video but can't you just plop a tee down in one place and a hole somewhere else and call it a randomly generated course?
Sure but then you don't get a reward. :colbert:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That just gave me this idea of "semi-automatic" house generation. It would be a nice end-game feature to allow the player to collect special doors of various types and place them wherever they want. Once the door is placed and opened, a procgen hallway or room spawns on the other side. Dungeon doors spawn dungeon rooms (etc.). Collect enough doors and you're able to erect a fairly large structure in a few clicks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel a game like Terraria, with its integrated concept of "create another world, ransack it with your main character, then delete it" is well aligned to the concept of disposable instances, so stuff like that would be fun to see. Put it in the box for Terraria 2 and cross your fingers real hard, I guess.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Now you got me thinkin about a hypothetical Golf Boss

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Crimson Harvest posted:

You just get an in-game message that says, "SHE KNOWS," then a giant Elin Woods comes after you with a golf club.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crimson Harvest posted:

The Ball of Cthulhu.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dareon posted:

The Ball of Cthulhu.

The Twins is already a boss though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They've said there won't be a Moon Lord Lower Body boss fight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mooning Lord

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Silver Snail posted:

Spheda was so fuckin good.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SirSamVimes posted:

Spheda was so fuckin good.
Tying it to those upgrade coins or medals or whatever they were was really smart. Requiring the course clear meant encouraging grinding without making it feel quite so tedious. And even when it was stupid, at least you had that prize to aim for.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Spheda is one of those things like the Nemesis system that I don't get why it didn't become a de facto requirement. Clear level of Doom? Great, now try to keep the ball out of the poison pit (but only if you want that clown costume).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Since I won't be coming back to this world until my mods are updated, I figured I should share my current base with y'all.

I built a boat in my basement, mostly because I wanted to refine my boat-shape-building skills and there was no large lake within easy distance. The treehouse on the right is only half-finished, and the pink marble chamber is a terrible pun.

So, what's at the top of that rope in the middle?

Sky biomes, that's what. Whenever I find a sky island easily accessible from my base, I section it into two rooms and stick a couple non-essential villagers in there. Usually the painter and the dye merchant, although in this case I moved the painter closer to home because I was actually using paint.

Also, I have become Death,

The fisher of worlds.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I like your sky islands, that's neat. Also, sharing pics of your last world is a good idea.

I'm not sure I'm going to be coming back here; I really like the early and mid-game best and Calamity started getting very 'too much' for me in terms of boss difficulty. As you can see, I like having all my NPCs nearby, and give them themed rooms while trying to maintain some kind of coherent style to the whole thing. I'm really looking forward to the happiness system; being encouraged to split the NPCs up and do different themes will be a lot of fun.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crimson Harvest posted:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Apparently the 1.4 patch notes are being posted sometime tomorrow. Gonna be curious to see what, if any, balance changes are made.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'll definitely start a new character and world since my most recent are a few years old.

Doesn't look like my old circle of gaming friends want to host a multiplayer server so I'll probably look for a goon world soon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DoubleNegative posted:

Apparently the 1.4 patch notes are being posted sometime tomorrow. Gonna be curious to see what, if any, balance changes are made.
Balance changes: they posted an article the other day saying that they'd gone down every single weapon and boss (and enemies, I think?) and checked for rebalance. Some things got huge revisions. So yeah, expect balance changes.
Apparently the patch notes are going to be like 30 pages long.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah wouldn't surprise me, they've put a lot of little tweaks and changes into this (on top of the more obvious additions like Journey & Master modes, Wind, Golf, etc.).

I just want it to be out already.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Geomancing posted:

I like your sky islands, that's neat. Also, sharing pics of your last world is a good idea.

More to find on this map.

And also the file if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/694hmxfraozlcqn/1-2.wld/file

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

any idea on when the patchnotes are getting posted

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I went with some sort of stilt pagoda hotel thing in my last world:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

any idea on when the patchnotes are getting posted

It's here!
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/there-back-again-a-summary-of-journeys-end.87997/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When I did my modded playthrough I took a lot of furniture mods and looked at a lot of stuff on r/TerrariaDesign and even some Youtube vids like those of Khaios, and then just prettied up a little bit the starting house from Antiaris and built a giant floating NPC prison next to it. It was meant to be a placeholder to let them spawn in without having to build finished places first, but :effort:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bad Munki posted:

I went with some sort of stilt pagoda hotel thing in my last world:

This looks great.

My last world I did an underground city thing with subway lines radiating out of it, dunno how to screenshot it right though.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I wonder, with all of these new biome changes and the pylon system, if Large maps would be fun to play with in single player now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

lol i think we overwhelmed the terraria forum server. 522 error