Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hate that Tom Sweeny has one of those electricity ball things just... sitting on his floor in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's a whole bunch of triangles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roth posted:

What'd I say???

Make good graphics

I'm supposed to release a video computer game on TV without this graphics!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unreal Engine 5 Mario 64 Remake confirmed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

finally we have enough triangles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waffleman_ posted:

I think this is the first thing we've seen overall that's approaching next gen.

The biggest things that make it look next-gen are the lighting detail and LoD fidelity. Preserving that much detail in wide-open spaces while traversing the environment at a high speed is gonna look awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Show me the triangles in the form of a new video game

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Digital Foundry already have an article up:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-next-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I used to think I was too cool to care about graphics but I have to admit that I enjoy impressive graphical fidelity enough to pay attention to it and think it's neat

I'll take a game with distinctive and cool art design over super-high graphical fidelity anyway but it's not like those are mutually exclusive so :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

could we get better graphics if we used squares instead of triangles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

I used to think I was too cool to care about graphics but I have to admit that I enjoy impressive graphical fidelity enough to pay attention to it and think it's neat

I'll take a game with distinctive and cool art design over super-high graphical fidelity anyway but it's not like those are mutually exclusive so :v:

We're probably gonna do some real cool cel shading with all these big computers.

Imagine an entire game that looks like the comic suit from Spider-Man.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I want this tech demo concept to become a real game, because "Tomb Raider with magic powers and kickass flying setpieces" sounds rad

Waffleman_ posted:

We're probably gonna do some real cool cel shading with all these big computers.

Imagine an entire game that looks like the comic suit from Spider-Man.

:eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is impressive, but the best we are ever going to get with this is low system requirement DOTA clones.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This is impressive, but the best we are ever going to get with this is low system requirement DOTA clones.

That's running on a PS5.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

let me just go ahead and blow your mind here: a square is two triangles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I said come in! posted:

Hundreds of games use Unreal Engine. Final Fantasy VII Remake uses UE4. It's a very important tool for developers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

Fool, that's a diamond :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the Saturn used squares and it was a bitch to develop for

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That's not even remotely true. Unreal Engine is an extremely popular and widely-used game engine. Even Square-Enix is using it now--they used UE4 for KH3 and FF7R.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I love when people read Revelations are like "oh man, this snake cup the angels are pouring out obviously means Israel will invent a cure for world hunger but Russia will invade them and install the new antichrist as winner of the silvagunna king for a day tournament...

Did any of y'all grow up BAC enough to read the Left Behind series of books? The best part of the books is when this jewish guy who still doesn't really believe in god, but he invented like the superplants that grow in poo poo deserts or whatever because god is blessing him or some poo poo. Anyway, at one point he makes this non-metal blade that is so thin and sharp the antichrist's security team doesn't catch it. I don't think he even ends up killing anyone with it, but I'll never forget this weird subplot about making this magic wooden nearly-invisible sword to assassinate the anti-christ. Does'nt work, the Antichrist is straight up a really, really good guy according to the authors. They kept wanting him to be this evil guy but he demonstrably improved the world, by their own accounts, the world was only improved by the sudden mass exodus of Christians. At least until Jesus shows back up to gently caress poo poo up, but I lost interest in the last book. They somehow made the second coming of christ boring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Basically every major fighting game right now uses UE4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my favorite is part trying to figure out who gog and magog are because that does not fit at all within the trajectory of world events since it was written

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

Andrast posted:

finally we have enough triangles

Fool, you can never have enough triangles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is Unreal Engine 5 the only thing getting announced on this steam because if so I'll just close it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Basically every major fighting game right now uses UE4.

This makes me think about the really cool "3D that looks like hand-animated 2D" effect that games like the new Guilty Gears and Dragon Ball Fighter Z have going and how much I'd love to see that sort of aesthetic in more genres. I think it's probably not feasible to do it on a large scale right now for something like a big RPG or a Zelda game or something, but maybe one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsboyfs-L4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hey Ubisoft and Geoff and whoever else is "revealing" things, please learn what "gameplay" and "game reveal" mean. Just say you're basically doing a GDC panel.

Like I'm sure graphically this Unreal stuff is very impressive, but as a presentation it is extremely boring.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it is a little interesting to hear some design and marketing philosophy from the guys behind Fortnite. I'm sure we in this thread mostly laugh at the Travis Scott thing because we're mostly old men, but people were really into that, it was a slam dunk

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

what the gently caress...

e: i checked and it's true

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Hey Ubisoft and Geoff and whoever else is "revealing" things, please learn what "gameplay" and "game reveal" mean. Just say you're basically doing a GDC panel.

Like I'm sure graphically this Unreal stuff is very impressive, but as a presentation it is extremely boring.

To be fair, this one wasn't billed as a game or gameplay reveal. It was a "special announcement/showcase and interview."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

To be fair, this one wasn't billed as a game or gameplay reveal. It was a "special announcement/showcase and interview."

The title of the stream does say game reveal, it might have been a good idea to not title it that too :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The title of the stream does say game reveal, it might have been a good idea to not title it that too :v:

Which stream? The one on the official Game Awards/Summer Game Fest channel is titled: "Summer Game Fest: Special Wednesday Showcase + Interview"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp98SUBZYH8

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Which stream? The one on the official Game Awards/Summer Game Fest channel is titled: "Summer Game Fest: Special Wednesday Showcase + Interview"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp98SUBZYH8

I'm watching on the gameawards Twitch Geoff linked

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol Epic actually built the infinite polygon engine.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
UE5 looks impressive, alright. wonder how it'll scale to my 1660Ti laptop though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

chances any of this ever get used in a game or perform as advertised? because i think the gamecube and original xbox had tech demos like this that were just as impressive but likewise never really manifest itself in an appreciable way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reading comments from game developers and 3D modelers makes UE5 seem like a bigger deal than just "oooh, pretty" which is kind of exciting. I don't know a ton about production pipelines myself but it sounds like the way UE5 is handling assets is going to make a whole lot of things significantly easier and faster for developers.

Macaluso posted:

I'm watching on the gameawards Twitch Geoff linked

Oh well that seems like a dumb oversight on their part then. Everything else bills it as a "showcase and interview" so they probably should've changed the title on their Twitch stream to match.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

chances any of this ever get used in a game or perform as advertised? because i think the gamecube and original xbox had tech demos like this that were just as impressive but likewise never really manifest itself in an appreciable way

It's Unreal Engine and not just some PS5-specific technology so it seems pretty likely that it'll be used. I wonder how much Sony paid to have the first UE5 tech demo run on PS5 :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll believe it if it ever happens. Every console gen has come with promises of amazing graphical leaps but the best 2020 game is only marginally more advanced than gamecube graphics

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Just off the top of the head, most of the GameCube demos became games. Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime were demos. The Mario 128 demo became Pikmin. Most consoles surpass their demos pretty handily, certainly by the end of the generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For reference, here's an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo from 2012 if you want to compare it to how actual UE4 games look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9CPqSKjTU