Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
All drivers are poo poo everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh yeah that is one of the bigger reasons why I got out of there after college. I could easily see myself living in parts of New England again now that I'm married and do not give a gently caress about dating and poo poo.

I highly doubt Greg Daniels and Steve Carrel would willingly make propaganda for Trump's space force. It's satire, lighten up Francis.

I'm pretty sure they'd star in anything that paid. Speaking of which, Army recruiting went up after Stripes came out, so point made.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'll tell you, visiting Reading PA for a wedding was quite an eye-opener for what urban decay feels like.

Also driving through NY/PA/OH right before the election, and seeing all these little dying rural towns covered in TROMP poo poo and coming to the jarring realization "ohfuck he's going to win"

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 13, 2020

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

As an Atlanta driver, I would just like to say you'd be a bit aggressive if your road system was designed to get trucks in/around/through the city and not actually get commuters where jobs are.

And vacationers through on their way to FL.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Everywhere has the worst drivers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Paul Manafort sent home from prison.

Can a rona infected delivery guy cough all over his soon to be ordered-in steak dinner? I'll trade watching him rot in prison for rotting in a grave.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's weird how related rural and urban driving are. "I want a burger"- 20 minutes stop and go to go five miles and cross a bridge; Urban
Eh, with any properly planned urban area with actual density, though, you typically have a couple dozen burger options within 20 minutes by foot.

Unfortunately, the car has reigned supreme in our urban planning since WW2, so most American cities are terribly, terribly planned.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PeterCat posted:

I'm pretty sure they'd star in anything that paid. Speaking of which, Army recruiting went up after Stripes came out, so point made.

:rolleyes:

BigDave posted:

It's probably this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Syrian Lannister posted:

So would Chicago

Illinois drivers aren't bad, exactly, they just can't find the loving gas petal to save their lives?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, with any properly planned urban area with actual density, though, you typically have a couple dozen burger options within 20 minutes by foot.

Unfortunately, the car has reigned supreme in our urban planning since WW2, so most American cities are terribly, terribly planned.

yeah, i could throw a rock from my roof to hit my nearest burger place

i only drive to leave town, it's great

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I don’t care where you’ve been in the US, South Korea around Camp Casey has the worst drivers I’ve ever seen. Here, at least we have agreed upon norms that people don’t follow. SK is complete anarchy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Atlanta has some sections where this is possible, however; you're paying about 2$/sqft if you want the ability to be near transit and walking distance of shopping.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Woofer posted:

I don’t care where you’ve been in the US, South Korea around Camp Casey has the worst drivers I’ve ever seen. Here, at least we have agreed upon norms that people don’t follow. SK is complete anarchy.

Yeah, anarchy is a good way to describe South Korean drivers. Also Naples Italy. Jesus loving Christ.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, anarchy is a good way to describe South Korean drivers. Also Naples Italy. Jesus loving Christ.

Oh gently caress Naples.

loving triggered

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Baghdad had better drivers than Co Springs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kuwait wins worst drivers from me.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Baghdad had better drivers than Co Springs.

True.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Afghanistan was hilarious for people watching, there was a one lane bridge that was maybe two car lengths and these two afghan drivers both decided to try and go across in opposite directions resulting in a loving traffic jam in the middle of loving nowhere. It turned into a huge ordeal just because neither one was willing to back up 10 feet and let the other guy pass first. It easily lasted half an hour.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

PookBear posted:

Afghanistan was hilarious for people watching, there was a one lane bridge that was maybe two car lengths and these two afghan drivers both decided to try and go across in opposite directions resulting in a loving traffic jam in the middle of loving nowhere. It turned into a huge ordeal just because neither one was willing to back up 10 feet and let the other guy pass first. It easily lasted half an hour.

You look me in the eye and tell me that you can't see that exact same scenario playing out literally anywhere on earth.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

You look me in the eye and tell me that you can't see that exact same scenario playing out literally anywhere on earth.

Im sure but I don't stand post overlooking random country roads for six hours in the US

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wtf is this dumbass derail

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Naples driver spotted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Drivers both from %HOMETOWN% and !%HOMETOWN% are bad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

There are definitely degrees. San Diego, everyone drives 2x the speed limit but they're used to it so somehow it all works. DC might have terrible drivers but since the traffic is permanently gridlocked, who knows? In the US, Norfolk has the worst loving drivers I've seen. It's like all the different terrible driving habits from around the country all congregate in the form of illiterate sailors there. Every day to and from the base I passed wrecks.

And Naples...
When I first got there, I wondered how the drivers were able to steer, shift, drink coffee, smoke a cigarette, talk on the phone, and make angry gestures at all the other drivers at the same time. Then I noticed that every car was dented up. That said, as a pedestrian in Naples I wasn't particularly concerned. You just walk out into the the street and they tend to zip around you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

PeterCat posted:

Stripes was made with Army assistance, so no, point not made.

Unless Space Force got DOD bucks, which I don't think it did.

Also they're not just starring in it: They created it. So unless you're saying they'd gladly invent something that helped out the Commander in Covfefe all on their own and then shop it around to get it made...

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Woofer posted:

ManMythLegend posted:

Ha ha! Mighty Korean han has overwhelmed the filthy round eyes and chased them off the road! Success!

Korean drivers have amazing technical skills. Driving beat up old manuals that have damaged synchros so they just double clutch and rev match and get about their business of doing 90km/h through the middle of the city and getting airborne over intersection humps and drifting through hairpin corners.

The problem is, if you are gonna play their game, you need to play by their cultural road rules. And rule number 1 is: get where the gently caress you are going and hurry the gently caress up about it. Rule number 2 is: try your best not to die. Everything else is tertiary.

When everyone is playing by rule number 1, you need to get with the program or get the gently caress off the road. Get where you are going and hurry the gently caress up about it. Don't have time to be polite about it, don't have time for you to figure out what you are doing or if you are lost, you just need to hurry the gently caress up and drive with purpose. If you are dawdling or being indecisive you gently caress the whole traffic system up for everyone around you, and that is not han and you are a drag on society and gently caress you. Drive with purpose and even if you are being a dick, that's fine, everyone's getting where they need to go, got no time for your ego based bullshit or for you to be insulted because you had to slow down or whatever, as long as everyone is getting where they are going quickly that is good for everyone so shut up and drive.

There's also rules for crossing the road as a pedestrian. Notice how ajuma and ajeoshi cross the road with seemingly Moses like powers to part the traffic? It's easy: don't give a gently caress. Stride up to that road with purpose, don't slow down, don't be indecisive, just make a line for that traffic, look at the cars and stride out. But the most important part is: don't give a gently caress. Any kind of indecision or fear and you've hosed up the flow of traffic and you are now the enemy and Korea is wounded by your bullshit. Grab your nuts in one hand, your life in the other, and stride out into the road and they will pull up. Walk quickly across, because that is your responsibility to get the hell out of the way.

Now, there's a few definite exceptions to the rule. Old people and children can do what they want. Sonsangnim ain't gonna be hurried, he carries Korea on his shoulders and he isn't getting hurried by anybody. And children are basically squishy gold so there's no hurrying up anyone with babies or small children.

And the most important exception: motorcycle delivery riders, bongos, and terminators. Motorcycle delivery riders just have a death wish and don't care. That's basically it. Bongo trucks are the same but the consequences are worse. And terminators will kill you and just not feel the bump. Terminators kill so many people that they are a mainstay in Korean soap operas to knock out characters. There's probably a scene of a korean in the shower getting nailed by a terminator.

And that's my TedTalk about driving in Korea.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The current advertised false negative rate of the COVID-19 test used by the White House is currently marketed at around 15%. Basically the sensitivity ain't great - it detects only 85% of active infections.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/1260604465943425026?s=19

Early research actually puts that false negative rate of 48%. And the fix that the company said to do doesn't seem to work. Whoops! Also, it can only run one test every fifteen minutes and they're mandating daily tests for everyone.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 13, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That was my experience with driving in Korea too.

Also add, the more expensive the car, the more immune to any driving rules. Driving a MB S500? The streets are GTA for you, everyone MUST move.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PookBear posted:

Im sure but I don't stand post overlooking random country roads for six hours in the US

Imagine the poor bastards doing this in bumfuck, AZ .

That reminded me to ask, do we still have US troops deployed to the mexican border? What happened with all of that?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

That reminded me to ask, do we still have US troops deployed to the mexican border? What happened with all of that?

Yeah, something like 5,500 troops. It was around 5,000 but got bumped up due to COVID.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

It was around 5,000 but got bumped up due to COVID.

????

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

MA-Horus posted:

That was my experience with driving in Korea too.

Also add, the more expensive the car, the more immune to any driving rules. Driving a MB S500? The streets are GTA for you, everyone MUST move.

This is truth.

The short explanation is that they give less fucks than you, so now you have to give a gently caress.

The long answer is actually this Korean thing to do with if you have money, you need to show it in an appropriate way, something about being honest about your status and... it's really complicated and I've hit my word quota for the day, but apparently driving like you stole it if you have money is considered appropriate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wonder how many got new wives on the border.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

not caring here posted:

This is truth.

The short explanation is that they give less fucks than you, so now you have to give a gently caress.

The long answer is actually this Korean thing to do with if you have money, you need to show it in an appropriate way, something about being honest about your status and... it's really complicated and I've hit my word quota for the day, but apparently driving like you stole it if you have money is considered appropriate.

Don't forget parking wherever you want, whenever you want. Fire lane? Blocking lanes of traffic or a driveway? Who cares! Cops sure don't.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

That Works posted:

The only thing keeping Whataburger profitable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

The only thing keeping Whataburger profitable.

Well now I want to be deployed to the border.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That Works posted:

Coincidentally, our activation to the SW border, which had been canceled due to a lack of Title 32 funding, got changed to a 1 year Title 10 Tour after this Executive Order came out. Guess we're supposed to guard the country against refugees carrying Covid.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/eo-order-selected-reserve-certain-members-individual-ready-reserve-armed-forces-active-duty/

I'm nearly to retirement, have to tough this out, but this is getting worse and worse every year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

I wonder how many got new wives on the border.

They're not crossing into mexican border town strip clubs. They're visiting arizona border town strip clubs. No need to marry what's already legally here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

My Spirit Otter posted:

The Black Panthers need to do more of that.

Everyone needs to do less of it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Everywhere has the worst drivers.

In only one state have I been passed by someone who left the interstate pavement at/near triple digit speeds to do so.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 13, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Need more surveillance to help border patrol insta-deport sick people apparently?

quote:

One of the U.S. officials - all of whom requested anonymity to discuss the decision - said the Trump administration worries the pandemic could further depress Mexico’s already troubled economy and encourage illegal immigration from that country to the United States.

DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The move came as the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump shelved a plan to send troops to the border with Canada, U.S. officials told Reuters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

DC has the worse road planning but not the shittiest drivers.

I’m looking at you North Carolina.

Coming from SC, I've loved every opportunity I've had to drive in NJ. Respect for the letter of the law is nonexistent but everyone's so consistent about the unwritten rules that everything just works, better.