Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"hitler is here, so we can kill him" is at least a very straightforward defense. That's not a compliment but I guess it kinda is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't think I've mentioned it before but child crew has my favorite short building description in the entire mod, rivaled only by some of the cosmic and transcendent buildings. I'm not roasting it either, it gets straight to the point without needing a lot of text

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 12, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm sadly not going to update before the end of the LP. As I've mentioned before the game is already starting to break in places and I really don't want to send the whole thing collapsing before I'm finished.

Might go back and check those new descriptions out after the game's finished, but the later and later we get, the more I just want to be done with this thing already.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jossar posted:

I'm sadly not going to update before the end of the LP. As I've mentioned before the game is already starting to break in places and I really don't want to send the whole thing collapsing before I'm finished.

Might go back and check those new descriptions out after the game's finished, but the later and later we get, the more I just want to be done with this thing already.

That's actually the description of omega child crew, I haven't seen any of the new updates because my game is also nearly finished and like hell am I gonna take the chance of bricking it. Hopefully I can finish it soon because I really want to start a new game and see how far I can get in the desert planet scenario. Probably just a little past the prehistoric era, the map is very unkind to say the least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm mainly just wondering if they changed simulation awareness to say "Hi Goons" or something

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"hitler is here, so we can kill him" is at least a very straightforward defense. That's not a compliment but I guess it kinda is too.

I mean, that's a totally valid defense. I like killing Hitler too.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Transcendent 2

Needed to get a Distant Future City before I could build Milliways, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Materialization allows us to enact truly miraculous instant manifestation of resources. Perhaps on a technical level it involves planck level manipulation of energy but for all intents and purposes it’s creation ex nihilo.

Also on the reverse, our trash now gets sent off into the TRASH DIMENSION!

Controlled Vacuum Collapse is another one of those techs which is really just more of what we’ve seen before, but the developers sure are embracing the sublime ridiculousness at this point. You don’t build a building, you build a Distant Portal to Dimension X. You don’t build a tile improvement, you collapse false metastable vacuum into true vacuum!

Panpsychism allows us to either interpret an already existing tendency of reality or substantiate throughout reality a fundamental mentality/consciousness with its most basic building block being the philote. Our ability to communicate with minds through xenosemiotic processes and our development of wormholes to the distant past/future is taken to its logical conclusion, so that being in contact with the universe mind at all points throughout history we know everything ever.

We don’t really need to build hyperlanes to get through hyperspace because the hyperspace cities were built on the border of Distant Cosmos, but if you need to build roads throughout hyperspace, here you go.

Experimental Cosmology allows us to send probes back to the beginning of our universe to study what happened as well as create simulated alternate cosmos to study the processes of their formation.

Yes we already know how this all works because we know everything. But if we don’t go through the motions of learning it, then causality is going to twist on itself like a pretzel.

3D Projections allows us to engage in the construction of real/non-simulated universes of sub-3D nature as projected into 3D space.

We (as in the forum posters, not the Mongolians) better stop ridiculing the mod, or else when it finally becomes complete it’ll make us all pay for not taking it seriously and not trying to promote it to everyone we know in advance so it could become complete faster.

Now even if we (as in Mongolians, not forum posters) didn’t have perfect knowledge of the future we’ve built sufficiently powerful hyperintelligences that can predict it all with perfect clarity anyway as well as do any work that we don’t feel like doing.

Oh right, natural physical constraints of existence. Better actually get around to dealing with those so the universes (or universe, we might still be on the borderline at this stage of Transcendent with only complete control of our own universe and a few simulated projects/projects of an incomplete nature) under our guidance don’t turn into endless stable diffuse states in a couple hundred trillion years or so relative to each of their individual time horizons.

Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Yog-Sothoth and every local universal permutation of him is going to shut up and take his orders from Mongolian Hyperspace Command to maintain constant vigilance on intra-universe internal security and inter-universe border patrol if he knows what’s good for him...

What, you think that given the level of power available to Mongolia I’m starting to develop a god complex?

Of course I’m developing a god complex, do you have any idea how hard it is to mass produce these guys without some kind of centralized facility?!

(Techs not mentioned: Tesseract Construction, Euclidean 5D Space Geometry, Decompactified Space, Sentient Energy Fields)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 13, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
this seems to be getting very silly

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why would trash even be a concept at this point of existence? Like, at all?

Also, ell oh loving ell at Roko's Basilisk being a wonder. Roko's Basilisk is an Old Testament god for nerds who think they're too smart for religion.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

All of those other civs that didn't tech up fast enough were clearly slacking off in bringing about the great computer god and as such deserve to be tortured.

This is already happening because they're in this mod.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
so is there actually an endgame tech with a quote from Time Cube or was that a joke

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yes, we just haven't gotten there yet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cythereal posted:

Look the shavings of exotic dimensions from your custom 5D branespace statue need to be cleaned up. If they don't, they'll drift through space time and eventually hit something like a small town or prison or cruise ship and translocate them. Now you've got a bunch of steppe riders running around the Cretaceous in a brand new universe and the time cops are all up your rear end. Dematerialize your trash.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Roko's Basilisk being a wonder definitely gives me three unhappy face.

also lmao at the tech with the picture of Giygas

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Scrap material from galacticforming adds up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The hell is Roko'a Basilisk?

*Googles it, spends 10 minutes reading a summary that basically describes a petty AI*

What the gently caress? Couldn't you have just had Skynet as a world wonder much, much earlier and get the same effect? I mean, why is this such a late-game tech? Haven't we passed the point where this would even theoretically be possible... I unno, several tech eras prior?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

*Googles it, spends 10 minutes reading a summary that basically describes a petty AI*

What the gently caress? Couldn't you have just had Skynet as a world wonder much, much earlier and get the same effect? I mean, why is this such a late-game tech? Haven't we passed the point where this would even theoretically be possible... I unno, several tech eras prior?

It's a bit more complicated than that, but yes, the AI on the level of the basilisk is probably something from an era or 2 ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Randalor posted:

Ah, but this is a multiverse spanning AI which wasn't possible until now!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean it looks a lot like the Self-Aware Colony project from Alpha Centauri but without the imagination and all the baggage of using a real-world concept.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

paragon1 posted:

Look the shavings of exotic dimensions from your custom 5D branespace statue need to be cleaned up. If they don't, they'll drift through space time and eventually hit something like a small town or prison or cruise ship and translocate them. Now you've got a bunch of steppe riders running around the Cretaceous in a brand new universe and the time cops are all up your rear end. Dematerialize your trash.

Nah let's just put it in a big pile and set fire to it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Roko's Basilisk was always a very silly idea by very silly people who wanted to sound very smart.

Cythereal posted:

Also, ell oh loving ell at Roko's Basilisk being a wonder. Roko's Basilisk is an Old Testament god for nerds who think they're too smart for religion.

Look we prob still have pollution and expenses despite screwing with causality because this is Civ.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Anticheese posted:

All of those other civs that didn't tech up fast enough were clearly slacking off in bringing about the great computer god and as such deserve to be tortured.

Well, from the looks of the last screenshot, Brazil is trying to figure out naval mines, and the rest of them are still in the 1850s to 1950s level of technology. They must be completely stupefied by that parts of Mongolia they can even observe at this point. Of course the real question is, are they still on the gold standard?

Also, go to bed Jossar. Playing 11 hours strait into early morning can't be healthy, man. I mean, that I can only assume so and certainly haven't done worse myself with this sometimes-problematic-but-strangely-addictive mod.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Geshtal posted:

They must be completely stupefied by that parts of Mongolia they can even observe at this point.

As of the last tech Mongolia are the "literal gods of" those other civilizations so it seems pretty straight forward.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"What happened next"
"Then they decided to nail me to a cross. Like actual nails. It was awesome. Stuck me in a cave after with a giant rock. I waited three days to see what happened and then just hosed off cause I was bored. You shoulda seen the looks on their faces, funniest loving poo poo"

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Geshtal posted:

Also, go to bed Jossar. Playing 11 hours strait into early morning can't be healthy, man. I mean, that I can only assume so and certainly haven't done worse myself with this sometimes-problematic-but-strangely-addictive mod.

It looks a bit worse than it seems because load times are getting to be several minutes long so I'm letting the computer chug away while I focus on other things and press the next turn button every few minutes twenty times in a row before the next tech is researched.

But also you're right: a lot of this LP was fueled by unhealthy 12 hour binges because I had nothing productive to do under pandemic circumstances and I tend to hyperfixate. The game getting closer to the end and becoming increasingly more boring is only exacerbating this. We're about 2 updates away from the finale and I'm starting to worry that if I can't just get through this last bit by the end of the week I never will. But it also means that just a little bit more of a push and I can finally play actually fun things again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... did you want us to buy you one of those dipping birds so you don't need to hit the enter key yourself, or...

I'm sure they sell them on Amazon.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jossar posted:

But also you're right: a lot of this LP was fueled by unhealthy 12 hour binges because I had nothing productive to do under pandemic circumstances and I tend to hyperfixate. The game getting closer to the end and becoming increasingly more boring is only exacerbating this. We're about 2 updates away from the finale and I'm starting to worry that if I can't just get through this last bit by the end of the week I never will. But it also means that just a little bit more of a push and I can finally play actually fun things again.

Kind of interesting how we both had complete opposite reactions to these new pandemic circumstances, you being able to hyperfixate on something like this cause you had nothing productive to do whereas I can't fixate on anything besides my job because my anxiety is on overdrive.

Somehow this LP ended up being (about) finished in any case, so I'm cool that the insanity of this mod managed to get shown to the bitter end. Though thinking about it once I had gotten to this point I definitely would have spent forever trying to minmax all my cities and try to develop some sort of skeleton narrative around all this nonsensical future tech so who knows if I ever would have finished :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Randalor posted:

So... did you want us to buy you one of those dipping birds so you don't need to hit the enter key yourself, or...

I'm sure they sell them on Amazon.
Fun fact, you can't use those for buttons because they work via fluid flow, which is why they're specifically drinking birds :eng101:

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Super Jay Mann posted:

Though thinking about it once I had gotten to this point I definitely would have spent forever trying to minmax all my cities and try to develop some sort of skeleton narrative around all this nonsensical future tech so who knows if I ever would have finished :v:

Oh god, tell me about it. When you started this thread way back when, I was inspired to download and try it out myself (even using the same world map), and I am only now up to World War II-ish. Say what you will about the mod, if you want to run down the rabbit hole, it will absolutely oblige you. Especially if you OCD out and try to provide in every city the unique buildings that can only be built by subdued wild animals.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fun fact, you can't use those for buttons because they work via fluid flow, which is why they're specifically drinking birds :eng101:

Tiny pot of water balanced on your enter key, problem solved

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Honestly, for the amount of actual content left I could’ve squeezed it all into one update, but might as well show off as much of the Transcendent Era as I can.

Jossar's Playthrough – Transcendent 3

Brane Construction lets us finally build those advanced improvements on tiles in Branespace, so Hyperspace Cities can have a full range of tile improvements and not just commerce focused ones like the Distant Past/Future Cities.

There we go, now we’re properly exploiting those alternate universes for resources even if we were only speculatively talking about it last update.

Brane Crossover allows for the continuation of that with more stabilized structures like this Universe Portal building. In what is a hilariously late setup similar to the Epsilon Assembler, there’s another 5-6 buildings in this chain, most of which you can’t unlock until right before the end of the game. All of which reflect access to an exponentially larger number of universes.

I don’t like personal teleportation because I believe in the necessity of the continuation of consciousness and that any complete discontinuity is equivalent to killing you. But I guess in the future when people have transcended the bounds of spatiality that’s not a problem… although then I have to ask why teleportation is necessary in the first place. Spatial Transcendence also has the last road variant.

Look, the Big Bang’s right there, why let all the energy go to waste? Just make sure that baryonic matter wins out in the end over antibaryonic matter and it’ll all be fine.

Now that we have all the power in the world, the time has come (is happening/will come) to use it to ensure the flourishing and prosperity of all beings everywhere/when. One of those buildings there is marked Utopia for that reason.

Although similar to the Superhuman civic it seems really disconcerting to have the description contain such high and lofty goals and then have one of the wonders be Omelas.

Especially when we’re pulling this stuff. I’m not sure how we’re supposed to be “fixing” the timeline in a way that doesn’t cause it to explode. I assume we’re doing a lot of “but actually all death that ever happened throughout history merely appeared to happen, and in fact everyone was brought to one of our hyperspace refuges.”

This wonder reflecting a modern continuation of H.G. Wells “The Time Machine” sort of reflects that.

It’s aliiiive!

Sometimes it’s not enough to know about what happened during the sinking of the Titanic. You have to go there and experience it for yourself. Or watch a perfect recreation (the building specifically states it’s not a reenactment) of the Titanic sinking. Or create a universe in which everything was the same but the iceberg hit a different spot on the Titanic just so you can see what would happen in that what-if scenario.

Up until this point we’ve been existing as beings that still experience time in a linear manner, even if we can choose to access any individual point in time to start from. Now we have developed beyond the need to exist in time. Well, that’s an inaccurate description but the "was/is/will be" stuff was bad enough. I'm not going to even try to reflect atemporality in grammar.

Even if time is no longer relevant, we can still observe from the outside what it would mean to exist in time from perspectives other than linear. Perhaps including… cubic?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 14, 2020

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
exactly what buildings does alternate history enable? I see a USSA flag there.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mycroft Holmes posted:

exactly what buildings does alternate history enable? I see a USSA flag there.

I pretty much described everything relevant, but here you go:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So all citizens are finally now Dr Manhattan?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think we're at the point where the average citizen is to Doctor Manhattan what Doctor Manhattan used to be to the average citizen.

Also, RIP Time Cube guy.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Holy poo poo at the Omelas thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess he'd be a Dr Manhattan experiencing all of the infinite earths and all time continuously.

Crisis on infinite infinities.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

See including that Omelas reference is the kind of cheeky black humor I can appreciate in a mod like this.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Super Jay Mann posted:

See including that Omelas reference is the kind of cheeky black humor I can appreciate in a mod like this.

The only way the reference could have been better is if it caused +1 unhappiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

The only way the reference could have been better is if it caused +1 unhappiness

Just need a rebalance with patch notes.

Omelas Wonder now provides universal happiness as a game feature. One permanent unhappiness is still generated. Will randomly lose population.