Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PookBear posted:

Afghanistan was hilarious for people watching, there was a one lane bridge that was maybe two car lengths and these two afghan drivers both decided to try and go across in opposite directions resulting in a loving traffic jam in the middle of loving nowhere. It turned into a huge ordeal just because neither one was willing to back up 10 feet and let the other guy pass first. It easily lasted half an hour.

throwback to this loving epic

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mrhflrs/status/1112924566312050690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/add...tbreak-1.624512

Stripes.com posted:

To help stop the spread of the coronavirus, the Department of Homeland Security announced U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents are now authorized to apprehend migrants who illegally enter the United States and return them immediately to the country from which they entered, either Canada or Mexico.

The authority was granted March 21 and is in place for 30 days. Prior to the order, agents would detain people and place them in holding facilities.

“We want to make sure we are supporting that [new authority],” and approving more troops “adequately supports them and their mission to further protect our country,” Richardson said during a phone call with reporters.

Deployments initially began to support Border Patrol as apprehensions jumped to historic levels, peaking to more than 144,000 people apprehended in May 2019, according to Customs and Border Protection data. In February, that number was down to about 30,000.

Also, there are apparently dead Nazis buried in US VA cemeteries. I say we dig them up and send them back to Germany.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/nazi-gravestones-controversy

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 13, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Need more surveillance to help border patrol insta-deport sick people apparently?

Just seems kinda backwards and stupid but I guess in-line with the US to throw more bodies at something due to a pandemic but I guess deporting people is always a justification for stupid poo poo at the border.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Need more surveillance to help border patrol insta-deport sick people apparently?

I thought this was the "catch and release" policy that they criticized Obama for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks I was looking for that one

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They're not crossing into mexican border town strip clubs. They're visiting arizona border town strip clubs. No need to marry what's already legally here.

Just lol If you don’t don’t think there’s a tunnel importing cheaper strippers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PeterCat posted:

Also, there are apparently dead Nazis buried in US VA cemeteries. I say we dig them up and send them back to Germany.

That would be erasing history!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Weird

quote:

In response to questions about the graves, the VA said that the headstones date back to the 1940s, before the cemeteries were placed under VA authority. Veterans Affairs further explained that the markers are protected by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.

"For this reason, VA will continue to preserve these headstones, like every past administration has," a VA official told Salon, which first reported the story.

Probably will take an act of congress, but an act of congress might actually occur for this one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Just lol If you don’t don’t think there’s a tunnel importing cheaper strippers.

Probably dug by marines.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably dug by marines.

I'm amused by the idea of one of those homemade drug submarines full of strippers popping up next to a ship at sea because the Marines aboard ordered them.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

hobbesmaster posted:

Weird

Probably will take an act of congress, but an act of congress might actually occur for this one.

Are you kidding, this administration and a good 40% of its supporters would throw them a parade

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm amused by the idea of one of those homemade drug submarines full of strippers popping up next to a ship at sea because the Marines aboard ordered them.

Almost makes you wonder how they'd order them. Last I knew, Fisher-Price laptops didn't come with wifi.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The only problem with the nazi graves is that they contain dead nazi soldiers instead of bankers.

edit: to be clear I mean nazi bankers

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 13, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Bad Poster posted:

So I tried to find an image of British bum boats delivering Portsmouth brutes to the ships but instead I found this.

https://gsarchive.net/bab_ballads/html/bumboat_woman.html

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Most Germans are very good drivers. I've been here since 2011 and every single accident I've seen has had MPs on the scene, meaning it involves an American.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dems are worthless

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1260628552866816001?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No surprise that VA couldn't be bothered to spend 10 seconds on a google search before making a statement.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/military/article/Old-enemies-rest-together-at-Fort-Sam-3227635.php

~140 POWs who died stateside in that cemetery, these three have the iron cross because they had been iron cross recipients and that was the design at the time.

Send someone out there to grind the swastikas off and call it a day.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

GoGoGadget posted:

Most Germans are very good drivers. I've been here since 2011 and every single accident I've seen has had MPs on the scene, meaning it involves an American.

Americans would kick off another civil war if they were subjected to German licensing requirements.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

Americans would kick off another civil war if they were subjected to German licensing requirements.

I would totally welcome that, and whatever you have to do to own a gun in Germany would be nice here too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

not caring here posted:

Hostilities would commence upon seeing the mere price tag, nevermind the amount of class and road time.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would totally welcome that, and whatever you have to do to own a gun in Germany would be nice here too.

Also I’d be cool with importing their laws on Nazis but they wouldn’t be enforced anyway.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would be so happy if nazi cosplayers caught charges.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

Ha ha! Mighty Korean han has overwhelmed the filthy round eyes and chased them off the road! Success!

Korean drivers have amazing technical skills. Driving beat up old manuals that have damaged synchros so they just double clutch and rev match and get about their business of doing 90km/h through the middle of the city and getting airborne over intersection humps and drifting through hairpin corners.

The problem is, if you are gonna play their game, you need to play by their cultural road rules. And rule number 1 is: get where the gently caress you are going and hurry the gently caress up about it. Rule number 2 is: try your best not to die. Everything else is tertiary.

When everyone is playing by rule number 1, you need to get with the program or get the gently caress off the road. Get where you are going and hurry the gently caress up about it. Don't have time to be polite about it, don't have time for you to figure out what you are doing or if you are lost, you just need to hurry the gently caress up and drive with purpose. If you are dawdling or being indecisive you gently caress the whole traffic system up for everyone around you, and that is not han and you are a drag on society and gently caress you. Drive with purpose and even if you are being a dick, that's fine, everyone's getting where they need to go, got no time for your ego based bullshit or for you to be insulted because you had to slow down or whatever, as long as everyone is getting where they are going quickly that is good for everyone so shut up and drive.

There's also rules for crossing the road as a pedestrian. Notice how ajuma and ajeoshi cross the road with seemingly Moses like powers to part the traffic? It's easy: don't give a gently caress. Stride up to that road with purpose, don't slow down, don't be indecisive, just make a line for that traffic, look at the cars and stride out. But the most important part is: don't give a gently caress. Any kind of indecision or fear and you've hosed up the flow of traffic and you are now the enemy and Korea is wounded by your bullshit. Grab your nuts in one hand, your life in the other, and stride out into the road and they will pull up. Walk quickly across, because that is your responsibility to get the hell out of the way.

Now, there's a few definite exceptions to the rule. Old people and children can do what they want. Sonsangnim ain't gonna be hurried, he carries Korea on his shoulders and he isn't getting hurried by anybody. And children are basically squishy gold so there's no hurrying up anyone with babies or small children.

And the most important exception: motorcycle delivery riders, bongos, and terminators. Motorcycle delivery riders just have a death wish and don't care. That's basically it. Bongo trucks are the same but the consequences are worse. And terminators will kill you and just not feel the bump. Terminators kill so many people that they are a mainstay in Korean soap operas to knock out characters. There's probably a scene of a korean in the shower getting nailed by a terminator.

And that's my TedTalk about driving in Korea.

What'sa terminator

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hostilities would commence upon seeing the mere price tag, nevermind the amount of class and road time.

When I got mine here, I passed my 20/25 minimum written standard (they stopped testing me after 20 right answers in a row), and did a driving test that was so farcical I might as well have just gotten my license out of a cereal box.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What'sa terminator

Korean dump truck usually carrying about 80 tonnes of rock or gravel that does about 70 miles an hour everywhere.

not caring here fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

God drat it.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Midjack posted:

God drat it.

Why did this come up to get voted on in the first place?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

PeterCat posted:

There's supposedly a bunch up at Ft Sheridan which was a POW camp.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

Why did this come up to get voted on in the first place?

PATRIOT act revision/renewal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Midjack posted:

God drat it.

A god damned nazi police state

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1260630867195629570?s=19

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PeterCat posted:

My father was old enough to remember the German POWs being used as prison labor, working on the highways in Mississippi during the war. He remembered them singing a lot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Am I high or Feinstein... good?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Madurai posted:

My father was old enough to remember the German POWs being used as prison labor, working on the highways in Mississippi during the war. He remembered them singing a lot.

I mean, Horst Wessel had 1488 verses?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

She voted to allow warrantless browser history surveillance so... No.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

She voted in support of expanding warrantless surveillance. She's been on the Senate Intelligence committee for a million years so she's definitely been captured by them and it's not a surprise but how is it good?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're high. She voted to allow warrantless surveillance of web browser history.

pmchem posted:

dems are worthless

I mean 35 voted against it (including King who caucuses with them) but yeah sure, whatever you need to tell yourself to so you can chant "dems bad" at every turn.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

You're high. She voted to allow warrantless surveillance of web browser history.

I mean 35 voted against it (including King who caucuses with them) but yeah sure, whatever you need to tell yourself to so you can chant "dems bad" at every turn.

Enough of them are bad.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

APAB.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Handsome Ralph posted:

This. As much as I'm wildly dissatisfied with Dem leadership, the old "10 Dems did something stupid, therefore all bad" schtick is just silly and fosters rejectionists attitudes over trying to actually change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007