Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I also feel like I did best when i focused on what I could eat than what I couldn't. Like eating plenty of lean protein and veggies (oven roasted is the best) and finding interesting recipes to try. That was when I was at my healthiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dixville posted:

See, this was true for me... until it wasn't. I did so good for a few years and felt good about my body and I was in the best shape of my life. Then I graduated from school and the stress of work and the huge change in my routine caused me to go back to my old ways of eating fast food and binging to relief my stress. Obviously I should have found a healthier way to cope, but it was just so much easier to just stuff my face then bask in the afterglow. I guess I could have picked a worse or more self destructive coping mechanism. But once the bad habits get entrenched again, it's hard to get out of them.

My bf ordered pizza tonight. I'm just gonna have 2 slices, that is plenty. I don't need to binge and i don't feel the urge to tonight. But I'm gonna eat some dang pizza. I didn't eat much for breakfast or lunch either so as long as I don't overdo it I should be ok for the day.

My problem was becoming financially comfortable and going on repeated vacations where each one threw on 8lbs or whatever. I’d gain 8 and lose four, gain 8 lose 4, repeat etc.

Working like crazy helped me keep weight off. No time to eat.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.

Bum the Sad posted:

Even having a completely shut down thyroid only contributes like 8lbs of weight gain. Most of the medication induced weight gain is just appetite stimulation.

Eh 8 would be a nice lower threshold for many and it still sucks. poo poo just takes time to balance out.

There is also gaining weight on meds that cause such bad side effects, eating and keeping food down felt near impossible. Hate to get all About Me Projection poo poo but one did this to me, it sucked a ton god drat, and I got off it pretty quickly but shedding didnt happen till at least a month off it. Another, same story but took a bit longer. Anyway dumb oversharimg tmi, doing fine now, quarantine has been good in that way despite all else, but drat if the "sampling" period of meds years ago didnt blow and I will always extend that kindness/consideration to people struggling unless a reason is given not to.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dixville posted:

I'm on vyvanse and I'm still fat (5'3" just under 200 lbs)

Get actual Dexedrine. It suppresses appetites far better than vyvanse. It’s also cheaper.

meat no potatoes
Aug 9, 2019
Is there any topic other than weight loss upon which everyone swears they have the answers, coupled with a billion dollar industry peddling solutions, and another billion dollar industry (junk food) researching how to hack the human tongue and get people addicted to weight gaining food? I think it's a unique shitstorm.

And here's my piss into the hurricane: I think there's 3 things you need in order to lose big weight (which I have done twice):
1. The Spark - A serious paradigm shift in your mind. Whether you can't bare moving up another clothes size, or you get teased to breaking point, or the test results scare you, or you can't get laid or whatever it is. The Spark is the difference between *wishing* you were less fat, and being *determined* to be less fat. I should vs I will. Being pissed off, boiling mad at your situation. Not just your every day "I'll start a new diet next week" or "this is my last big bag of chips dude I'm serious lol". A humbling. An ego death. A fire inside. The Spark will help you for a week, maximum.

2. The nuts and bolts of weight loss, which you can learn in 30mins, or get all the details in 2hrs. W+W will have a sticky with this stuff. Calories In, Calories Out. How many you need, how many are in your meals, how to get away with a chocolate bar or bottle of wine and still ending the week a pound or two down. This stuff is worth half an hour of your time while you wait for The Spark to come, and once it does come, this will get your first 20-30lbs lost and keep you motivated and feeling loving incredible. Thought you were just A Fat Person? Not anymore! Change is not only possible, but happening day by day and nothing can stop you now! You even *want* to go for a walk! Pushups are something you *want* to try!

3. Acknowledging mental demons. After you lose 30lbs or so, and you feel on top of the world, invincible, sexy, powerful, godlike, that's when your subconscious feels safe enough to trickle some terror into you. Don't worry! This won't happen until your diet is a cinch to adhere to and you actually *enjoy* some form of exercise. But it's coming. You weren't gobbling all that junk and chugging all that booze for nothing. It kept the demons quiet. Kept them pacified. That thing that happened to you? You know... *that* thing. Or, more likely, those problems your parents had when you were young. That stuff that's such a long time ago! I know about it, dude! Why would that even bother me? I'm fucken 40! I know it's really common. Who cares, right? lol? lol??? Or maybe it's the stuff that didn't happen to you? Families only like each other on tv, and tv is pretend! Sure my dad never once wrote in a birthday card, but he paid for everything and that's love, right? The little kid inside you is still scared and needs protection. The little kid inside yourself that you haven't spoken to in decades is still there and is still afraid and now the monsters are back because the chips and chocolate and bourbon went away. That's the tough point, and it only comes when you're *just* strong enough to break through it.

Check out My 600lb Life, too. Those fat fucks have bigger problems than you and most of them do amazing work in a year or two. Watch an episode a day for a couple of weeks and your spark might come.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

meat no potatoes posted:

Is there any topic other than weight loss upon which everyone swears they have the answers, coupled with a billion dollar industry peddling solutions, and another billion dollar industry (junk food) researching how to hack the human tongue and get people addicted to weight gaining food? I think it's a unique shitstorm.

Holy poo poo, YAS QUEEN PREACH

meat no potatoes posted:

3. Acknowledging mental demons. After you lose 30lbs or so, and you feel on top of the world, invincible, sexy, powerful, godlike, that's when your subconscious feels safe enough to trickle some terror into you. Don't worry! This won't happen until your diet is a cinch to adhere to and you actually *enjoy* some form of exercise. But it's coming. You weren't gobbling all that junk and chugging all that booze for nothing. It kept the demons quiet. Kept them pacified. That thing that happened to you? You know... *that* thing. Or, more likely, those problems your parents had when you were young. That stuff that's such a long time ago! I know about it, dude! Why would that even bother me? I'm fucken 40! I know it's really common. Who cares, right? lol? lol??? Or maybe it's the stuff that didn't happen to you? Families only like each other on tv, and tv is pretend! Sure my dad never once wrote in a birthday card, but he paid for everything and that's love, right? The little kid inside you is still scared and needs protection. The little kid inside yourself that you haven't spoken to in decades is still there and is still afraid and now the monsters are back because the chips and chocolate and bourbon went away. That's the tough point, and it only comes when you're *just* strong enough to break through it.

:fuckoff: for nailing me exactly :gonk:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
My first thought (as well as a couple other goons it looks like) was if OP could get enough vitamins and such with this plan, but thinking about it I feel like slim fasts plus a multivitamin is probably more nutritionally complete than your average American diet anyways so why not. I know grown adults that pick around vegetables in their food so like if they’re not dead yet OP will probably be fine.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ArbitraryC posted:

My first thought (as well as a couple other goons it looks like) was if OP could get enough vitamins and such with this plan, but thinking about it I feel like slim fasts plus a multivitamin is probably more nutritionally complete than your average American diet anyways so why not. I know grown adults that pick around vegetables in their food so like if they’re not dead yet OP will probably be fine.

Pretty big protein deficit I would think

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
OP as others have mentioned you can easily lose weight doing this but the key to maintaining weight is knowing how much to eat at a given weight level. Any calorie calculator can tell you this but the key is to measure your food. You need to use a food scale when preparing your meals and for measuring servings. It's the only way to precisely measure what you're putting into your body.

Some people can probably maintain weight intuitively but with today's hyper palatable food environment I've found that impossible. Consistent measuring is the only thing that works for me.

Also some of the meal replacement diets (medifast) recommend a serving of a fat to ensure gallbladder health. You might consider eating a slice of cheese every day along with your shakes and also check in with a doctor.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
4 pages in but whatever.

1 - stop eating sugar
2 - eat more veggies and seafood
3 - no processed foods
4 - no deep fried foods
5 - give yourself a cheat day every couple weeks
6 - try to walk more

That's it. You'll lose weight doing this and aren't going to kill yourself doing it.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dixville posted:

Pretty big protein deficit I would think

His protein deficit actually looks pretty dangerous. Regular slim fast and almond milk have minimal protein in them. He's getting about 12g of protein per day. He should be eating around 0.8g/kg of bodyweight at a minimum. He's going to cannibalize all his lean muscle and end up either extraordinarily skinny-fat or even end up developing Kwashiorkor.

OP not only are you going to get the weird bloated-gut famine physique, but protein starvation like you're doing is going to damage your liver because you'll end up having a bunch of fat infiltrate it (even though you are dieting). You're also at risk for getting gout as you cannibalize your muscle too. You might have done okay for a week, but your life is going to suck and more and more, and hopefully this diet will break your spirit and stop you before you hurt yourself too much.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you only adjust your diet and not your physical habits than your body will still be trash at 190. You can’t just moonwalk from fat to healthy, you can lose weight but you’ll still have a fat, unhealthy person’s circulatory, limbic, and respiratory systems.

Excercise, is my point

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dong Quixote posted:

His protein deficit actually looks pretty dangerous. Regular slim fast and almond milk have minimal protein in them. He's getting about 12g of protein per day. He should be eating around 0.8g/kg of bodyweight at a minimum. He's going to cannibalize all his lean muscle and end up either extraordinarily skinny-fat or even end up developing Kwashiorkor.

that’s why I was recommending doing a keto fast instead of slim fast which is full of sugar.

At least whatever he does eat then is useful to his body.

You’ll feel better too with you brain happily ketone adapted rather than desperately seeking that next sugar shake glucose spike.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

meat no potatoes posted:

Convincing people to make bad decisions who think they are a brain genius for figuring it out is the cornerstone of modern consumerism. A short list in increasing active murder:

Financial services
Higher education
Personal transportation
Personal electronics and consumer digital systems set up for data mining
Food
For profit healthcare

The hard part is the most murderous are also the most useful if you navigate around the most antagonistic parts.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
well, it sure is a really bad idea

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
It's been another day OP, what's your status? My cheese, protein shake, and cheap hotdog diet. I lost 1.2 pounds.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Maybe OP was hoping for old GBS 2.0 threadshitting content so he could go "Heh...GBS :smug:"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

de_dust posted:

Get actual Dexedrine. It suppresses appetites far better than vyvanse. It’s also cheaper.

Caffeine also works for a lot of people. Easier to get too. The problem is if i drink or take caffeine late in the day (when my cravings hit) then i stay up half the night

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Edgar posted:

It's been another day OP, what's your status? My cheese, protein shake, and cheap hotdog diet. I lost 1.2 pounds.

279.7 lbs

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Dixville posted:

My bf ordered pizza tonight. I'm just gonna have 2 slices, that is plenty. I don't need to binge and i don't feel the urge to tonight. But I'm gonna eat some dang pizza. I didn't eat much for breakfast or lunch either so as long as I don't overdo it I should be ok for the day.

Yeah I can't function like that. My mentality is either I would rather have 0 slices than 1 or 2. It's either four slices or nothing. Because one or two is still gonna make me feel like a fat poo poo and if I'm eating two slices of pizza I might as well also polish off that jar of peanut butter in the pantry.

I know it doesn't make sense but it's just the way my stupid rear end is.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Yeah I can't function like that. My mentality is either I would rather have 0 slices than 1 or 2. It's either four slices or nothing. Because one or two is still gonna make me feel like a fat poo poo and if I'm eating two slices of pizza I might as well also polish off that jar of peanut butter in the pantry.

I know it doesn't make sense but it's just the way my stupid rear end is.

No i get it totally. I have a lot of binging issues. I have felt better since i went on different psych meds but all it takes is to get back in the habit and it would come back

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I sincerely hope you get your act together OP and the idea of practicing self control and restraint is noble but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Its been established at this point that will power is like a muscle that you can develop so it may be that making incremental changes to your lifestyle would help you build enough fortitude that you could eat a piece of fish without being sent into a gluttonous tailspin. I know you mentioned that you don't want to exercise but you might find that if you make an earnest attempt at becoming more mobile (I will concede that 16 hr workdays are problematic) other areas of your life improve as well. There arent that many absolutes in life but most people acknowledge that being sedentary is a huge drain on mental health and overall brain function aside from the physical fallout.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey I lost 70 pounds through the magic of a good work out plan and eating less. I was always a very bad late night snacker, so my big adjustment was to stop buying so much poo poo at the grocery store, so I didn't have anything to snack on.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen and in the grocery store.

OP did indeed stop buying poo poo at the grocery shop :eng101:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

I sincerely hope you get your act together OP and the idea of practicing self control and restraint is noble but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Its been established at this point that will power is like a muscle that you can develop so it may be that making incremental changes to your lifestyle would help you build enough fortitude that you could eat a piece of fish without being sent into a gluttonous tailspin. I know you mentioned that you don't want to exercise but you might find that if you make an earnest attempt at becoming more mobile (I will concede that 16 hr workdays are problematic) other areas of your life improve as well. There arent that many absolutes in life but most people acknowledge that being sedentary is a huge drain on mental health and overall brain function aside from the physical fallout.

Yeah even just walking for exercise is better than nothing

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dixville posted:

this one time i was walking and I got hit by a taxi

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dixville posted:

Jumping in place for 5 minutes is better then nothing.

I heard a long time ago during a radio show that the host was talking about getting in shape and struggling his personal trainer told him that any attempt to exercise was progress, no matter how little. Just developing the habit to get up and do something to work up a sweat and raise your heart rate is essential, because once it becomes a habit you can build up on it.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Some children saw Nasreddin coming from the vineyard with two baskets full of grapes loaded on his donkey. They gathered around him and asked him to give them a taste. Nasreddin picked up a bunch of grapes and gave each child a grape."You have so much, but you gave us so little," the children whined." There is no difference whether you have a basketful or a small piece. They all taste the same," Nasreddin answered.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OP get a dog and walk it 3 times a day

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hiked the Appalachian Trail and you can eat as much as you want and anything you want for 5 months and still lose weight. I highly suggest it! The halfway point tradition is to eat a half gallon of ice cream. I did that in the morning then at night polished off a large pizza. Sure I had diarrhea for 10 days straight afterwards because I had absolutely destroyed my guts with dairy but eh

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dixville posted:

All the times in my life I've been "naturally thin" were when my lifestyle just included 3+ miles a day just in walking as a commute on top of w/e I was doing at school/work. I think a lot of adults think they got fat as they got older because "suddenly the food sticks to you" but outside of when you were literally still growing the amount of calories you burn by existing has probably not changed that much, it's just your life becomes substantially more sedentary.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Hey I lost 100 pounds in less than a year and it gave me loving kidney stones so watch out for that.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm getting a bike and hopefully going to eventually commute with it. If not I'll at least be able to ride some trails in my area. I'm excited to get it!

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Skratte posted:

Hey I lost 100 pounds in less than a year and it gave me loving kidney stones so watch out for that.

What's the correlation

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

George H.W. oval office posted:

I hiked the Appalachian Trail and you can eat as much as you want and anything you want for 5 months and still lose weight. I highly suggest it! The halfway point tradition is to eat a half gallon of ice cream. I did that in the morning then at night polished off a large pizza. Sure I had diarrhea for 10 days straight afterwards because I had absolutely destroyed my guts with dairy but eh

As a New Englander I’ve always wanted to do this.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Dixville posted:

Walking fast up hills is drat good excercise. I walked fast in soft sand and did stairs, dropped 40 pounds total and kept it off and quit smoking !!!!! Same time period

And I eat a ton, like I totally have that oral fixation thing. How did I do it? Veggies. You can literally eat vegetables all drat day and still lose weight. It's really helpful.

Seems like it would be easier to eat a ton of veggies instead of what you are doing :shrug:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I love roasted vegetables

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Dixville posted:

I love roasted vegetables

:hfive:

Roasted sweet potatoes cabbage parsnips
Sauteed leeks and baby bok choy :swoon:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spinz posted:

:hfive:

Roasted sweet potatoes cabbage parsnips
Sauteed leeks and baby bok choy :swoon:

Put all that poo poo on a baking pan and put a whole chicken up on top and roast that poo poo. All that chicken goodness roasting them veggies. Still pretty healthy and keep you satisfied

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I only eat my vegetables stewed soft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Usually stewed greens msybe eith some dried fish