Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

White Ninja perfectly captures that feeling of swapping doodles with your buddy during class trying to make each other laugh.

You can find most of them on the Wayback Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the applegeeks dudes all made good, one of them is a creative director for a company and the other has won multiple awards for their webcomics.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/anderjak/status/1255618387008344065

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The sheer number of comics this could be referencing is astronomical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm sure a bunch were posted itt roughly 14 days ago

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Isn't the buck-toothed Japanese stereotype supposed to be the author's self-insert? Like what the gently caress breaks a person's mind like that?

Or is the stupider answer that he's actually a racist white guy?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:five:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heath posted:

Isn't the buck-toothed Japanese stereotype supposed to be the author's self-insert? Like what the gently caress breaks a person's mind like that?

Or is the stupider answer that he's actually a racist white guy?

Half white, half Japanese, all self-loathing racist

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have a little Lyle, if you want half-white half-asian dealing out stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If r/hapas is any indication, half white half Asian young men are vulnerable to a bizarrely specific kind of broke brains combining the unchecked cultural insecurities and internalising harmful stereotypes from both sides.

Reminds me a bit of hoteps, which are another can of worms.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me a bit of hoteps, which are another can of worms.

dare i ask

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Randaconda posted:

dare i ask

Please do. All google got me was some Egyptian poo poo and I'm pretty sure that's not what this is about.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Randaconda posted:

dare i ask

From the Root:

quote:

Hotep logic takes this the-straight-male-is-the-center-of-the-universe way of thinking and adds a dollop of Afrocentricity to it. Ultimately, they don’t want true equality. They want to replace white male patriarchy with black male patriarchy.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Randaconda posted:

dare i ask

https://vimeo.com/166421073

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My (limited) understanding of Hoteps is that it refers to black men who adopt a patriarchal sort of half-baked mystical pan-Africanism that mostly involves complaining about women, particularly black women, on Twitter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That about sums it up. Also been described as black PUAs. Both cases more or less boil down to how they obviously can't get into the white supremacist club so they make their own equivalent.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thanks im good

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Heath posted:

The sheer number of comics this could be referencing is astronomical
I read a lot of webcomics 1998-200? and I don't think I can think of one that this image reminds me of.

Guess that shows how many webcomics there have been over the years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PancakeTransmission posted:

I read a lot of webcomics 1998-200? and I don't think I can think of one that this image reminds me of.

Guess that shows how many webcomics there have been over the years.

There's a fair few webcomic genres; the abovementioned formula is more common with the 'slice of life/vaguely satirical comedic ones that usually ape newspaper comics of the Blondie style. Though I'm not too familiar with examples besides maybe Sinfest (which is a bit of a special case) either.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://twitter.com/anderjak/status/1255620992115736576?s=20

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Have a little Lyle, if you want half-white half-asian dealing out stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4

This is impossible to watch

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is impossible to watch

it really really is. when i hear the word 'content creator', i release the safety on my browning

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

oscarthewilde posted:

it really really is. when i hear the word 'content creator', i release the safety on my browning

Hold up- that video is dire as gently caress, but did you just quote a boomer meme?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Am reminded how 'girl turns out to have massive daddy issues due to sometimes literal cartoon supervillain dad' came up incredibly often as The Girl's main motivation, though to be fair it was probably a better option for drama than a miscarriage.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Older than Boomer, that is a good old fashioned Greatest Generation meme.

Like Kilroy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Josef bugman posted:

Older than Boomer, that is a good old fashioned Greatest Generation meme.

Like Kilroy.

Unfortunately, it was popularized by one of the worst of that generation.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

My (limited) understanding of Hoteps is that it refers to black men who adopt a patriarchal sort of half-baked mystical pan-Africanism that mostly involves complaining about women, particularly black women, on Twitter

Theres also a fair amount of completely fictional history (white people are an artificial species that were made in a lab by an ancient evil black scientist, who was so smart he literally had a giant head). There are also lady hoteps, which leads to wonderful arguments on twitter like "black women only menstruate because they are eating food meant for white people".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Theres also a fair amount of completely fictional history (white people are an artificial species that were made in a lab by an ancient evil black scientist, who was so smart he literally had a giant head). There are also lady hoteps, which leads to wonderful arguments on twitter like "black women only menstruate because they are eating food meant for white people".

Arthur C. Clarke posted:

People of Earth, do not be afraid...

...We come in peace--and why not? For we are your cousins; we have been here before.

You will recognise us when we meet, a few hours from now. We are approaching the solar system almost as swiftly as this radio message. Already, your sun dominates the sky ahead of us. It is the sun our ancestors and yours shared ten million years ago. We are men, as you are; but you have forgotten your history, while we have remembered ours

We colonised Earth, in the reign of the great reptiles, who were dying when we came and whom we could not save. Your world was a tropical planet then, and we felt that it would make a fair home for our people. We were wrong. Though we were masters of space, we knew so little about climate, about evolution, about genetics...

For millions of summers--there were no winters in those ancient days--the colony flourished. Isolated though it had to be, in a universe where the journey from one star to the next takes years, it kept in touch with its parent civilisation. Three or four times in every century, starships would call and bring news of the galaxy.

But two million years ago, Earth began to change. For ages it had been a tropical paradise; then the temperature fell, and the ice began to creep down from the poles. As the climate altered, so did the colonists. We realise now that it was a natural adaptation to the end of the long summer, but those who had made Earth their home for so many generations believed that they had been attacked by a strange and repulsive disease. A disease that did not kill, that did no physical harm--but merely disfigured.

Yet some were immune; the change spared them and their children. And so, within a few thousand years, the colony had split into two separate groups--almost two separate species--suspicious and jealous of each other.

The division brought envy, discord, and, ultimately, conflict. As the colony disintegrated and the climate steadily worsened, those who could do so withdrew from Earth. The rest sank into barbarism.

We could have kept in touch, but there is so much to do in a universe of a hundred trillion stars. Until a few years ago, we did not know that any of you had survived. Then we picked up your first radio signals, learned your simple languages, and discovered that you had made the long climb back from savagery. We come to greet you, our long-lost relatives--and to help you.

We have discovered much in the eons since we abandoned Earth. If you wish us to bring back the eternal summer that ruled before the Ice Ages, we can do so. Above all, we have a simple remedy for the offensive yet harmless genetic plague that afflicted so many of the colonists.

Perhaps it has run its course--but if not, we have good news for you. People of Earth, you can rejoin the society of the universe without shame, without embarrassment.

If any of you are still white, we can cure you.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

hosed up if true

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I'm p sure you're specifically looking at Nation of Islam (basically the black franchise of Scientology) mythology there, though there's probably overlap.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arthur C Clarke is right up there with the Penny Arcade guys as one of the webcomic greats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

Unfortunately, it was popularized by one of the worst of that generation.

Who?

I assume people are just joking, but to be clear, everyone knows it's a famous line from a 1930's Nazi play, right. oscarthewilde was expressing his contempt for content creators in a humorous way

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

The Moon Monster posted:

Arthur C Clarke is right up there with the Penny Arcade guys as one of the webcomic greats.

i normally skip the words in this thread, but this jumped out at me and what??????

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

i normally skip the words in this thread, but this jumped out at me and what??????

Just a joke about someone posting some Arthur C Clarke stuff earlier.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

quote:

If you wish us to bring back the eternal summer that ruled before the Ice Ages, we can do so.

Y’know, I think we’re doing OK on that project.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm p sure you're specifically looking at Nation of Islam (basically the black franchise of Scientology) mythology there, though there's probably overlap.

There’s all sorts of American groups with similar Afrocentrism Gone Wild roots (Black Israelites, Moorish Science Temple, Nation of Yahweh, etc); Nation of Islam is just one of them. The broad strokes are all similar, since they come from a desire to replace externally defined cultural identity as freed victims with an internally defined one that is an explicit reaction to American Eurocentrism, but the little details change based on which grifter is telling the story and how much they like aliens and magic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/calamityjon/status/1261028399109173250?s=20

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's...not bad.

And I like his little toy howitzer that actually fires live ammunition, the PC police wouldn't allow that these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

That's...not bad.

And I like his little toy howitzer that actually fires live ammunition, the PC police wouldn't allow that these days

Untrue, I tutored a kid last year who had a RC tank whose shells could dent the drywall.