Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is clerya the land of the extremely bad at dancing rat people? If so I hate them and their minigame where Ive never rescued anyone, possibly even gotten some extras killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Himuro posted:

No loving way. FFVIII is pretty crisp. Hit a command and you'll be executing it within seconds. In FFIX I can execute a command and they'll do it 10-20 seconds later.

FF should have doubled down on Squall’s attack and the limit breaks in 8 and just made timing minigames for everything. Go full Paper Mario with it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

nrook posted:

FF should have doubled down on Squall’s attack and the limit breaks in 8 and just made timing minigames for everything. Go full Paper Mario with it.

Pretty sure you're just describing The Legend of Dragoon.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Kanfy posted:

AKA the best final fantasy game

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I enjoyed the hell out of IV, was indifferent to VI, VII and VIIR are my current all-time favorites, VIII irritated me with certain mechanics, and IX was a lovable nostalgic romp.

My views differ from others in this thread, but I know people like different things and I feel like debating with people why they like what they like is a waste of everyone's time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's my nuclear-hot FFIX take: I don't think the combat is nearly as bad as a lot of people, even some FFIX fans, say, and I don't mind that it's kinda slow.

Is the combat great? No, but if I'm being honest, prior to FF7R, I don't know if I'd have said any Final Fantasy game has truly great combat. Even the ones where I enjoy the combat for its own sake, like X and X-2, have systems that were better-executed elsewhere (Grandia did ATB better than Final Fantasy ever did, there, I said it). They're still great games because games are more than just their individual gameplay systems looked at in isolation.

Himuro posted:

Ergo, IX isn't special.

Honestly I wouldn't have found your posts so weird if it weren't for this line. This fuckin' "I'm gonna convince you FFIX is bad using FACTS and LOGIC" schtick is weird as hell.

FFIX is the most charming Final Fantasy. I said "charming" not "funny," "goofy," or "doesn't take itself seriously." The game just has loads of heart, with care poured into making the world feel distinctly alive, as much as you really can do with prerendered backgrounds and only a few NPCs per screen. It has all these great named background NPCs whose little stories you can follow through multiple visits to each city, some of them fun, some of them tragic, and yeah that kind of thing is optional and easily missable but this is the kind of game where they put effort into those little things you could easily just overlook. Hell, I did the first time I played the game.

I could talk about other things I think the game does right, but I'm never going to convince you to like it, and you're not going to convince people to hate it. Someone vehemently disliking FFIX is as foreign a mindset to me as someone liking it must be to you. I've been replaying it recently and when I got to the Black Mage Village for the first time and played through those scenes, and back to Conde Petie afterwards, I couldn't imagine someone getting to that point and not loving it.

We can obviously all discuss the games we like and dislike and talk about why we like and dislike them--and disagree on it--but nobody's going to be able to convince you to like the game because, given your replies, you never wanted to be convinced to like the game in the first place. You came here to convince others not to.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 14, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My only issue with FFIX combat is the goddamn random battles every two seconds on the overworld map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm glad the PC/modern console rerelease turned down the random battle rate but I think it actually kind of went too far with it, which is funny. I guess they couldn't quite hit the right balance at any point with it. The encounter rate in the rerelease is low enough that I got all the way through the Cleyra Trunk without a single random encounter and I actually had to stop and run around a bit to make sure I encountered the enemy Quina could learn White Wind from before moving on.

But they missed one area: the area right outside of Burmecia on disc one. Somehow, that area still has an absurdly high encounter rate, a huge and noticeable spike above every other overworld region. I have no idea what happened there.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kanfy posted:

One of the worst games I've ever played (and finished, just so I could say "yes, this game is terrible start to finish.")

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Uuuuugggggghhhhh.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 14, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Agents are GO! posted:

One of the worst games I've ever played.

Well the science does check out on that one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Legend of Dragoon is like somebody made an AI play ff7 for 1000 hours and then had it make a game. The only memorable thing is that all of Rose's magic attacks are based on menstruation. They removed any reference to this in the text but didn't change the animations.

Edit: And in case you think I'm wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cG7u7SaMk

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 14, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my final fantasy sin is that i think ff4 is bottom-tier. the worst one, if ff2 didn't exist

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Here's my nuclear-hot FFIX take: I don't think the combat is nearly as bad as a lot of people, even some FFIX fans, say, and I don't mind that it's kinda slow.

Is the combat great? No, but if I'm being honest, prior to FF7R, I don't know if I'd have said any Final Fantasy game has truly great combat. Even the ones where I enjoy the combat for its own sake, like X and X-2, have systems that were better-executed elsewhere (Grandia did ATB better than Final Fantasy ever did, there, I said it). They're still great games because games are more than just their individual gameplay systems looked at in isolation.

Honestly I wouldn't have found your posts so weird if it weren't for this line. This fuckin' "I'm gonna convince you FFIX is bad using FACTS and LOGIC" schtick is weird as hell.

FFIX is the most charming Final Fantasy. I said "charming" not "funny," "goofy," or "doesn't take itself seriously." The game just has loads of heart, with care poured into making the world feel distinctly alive, as much as you really can do with prerendered backgrounds and only a few NPCs per screen. It has all these great named background NPCs whose little stories you can follow through multiple visits to each city, some of them fun, some of them tragic, and yeah that kind of thing is optional and easily missable but this is the kind of game where they put effort into those little things you could easily just overlook. Hell, I did the first time I played the game.

I could talk about other things I think the game does right, but I'm never going to convince you to like it, and you're not going to convince people to hate it. Someone vehemently disliking FFIX is as foreign a mindset to me as someone liking it must be to you. I've been replaying it recently and when I got to the Black Mage Village for the first time and played through those scenes, and back to Conde Petie afterwards, I couldn't imagine someone getting to that point and not loving it.

We can obviously all discuss the games we like and dislike and talk about why we like and dislike them--and disagree on it--but nobody's going to be able to convince you to like the game because, given your replies, you never wanted to be convinced to like the game in the first place. You came here to convince others not to.

I said plenty of times that i don't even dislike the game. I still like it. It's an okay game. I just place it as a low-tier FF and really don't get the "this is the best FF ever" nods.

That isn't to say I'm trying to say it's a bad game. But a lot of the arguments surrounding it like "FF became too serious with FF7 and 8" is baffling to me. Say what you want about FFIX being charming (it is) but when you say FF7 of all games takes itself too seriously my eyes start to glaze over.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Agents are GO! posted:

Legend of Dragoon is like somebody made an AI play ff7 for 1000 hours and then had it make a game. The only memorable thing is that all of Rose's magic attacks are based on menstruation. They removed any reference to this in the text but didn't change the animations.

Well uh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My romantic dream is that they remaster Legend of Dragoon so the rhythm game attacks are doable on a modern TV.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah rewatching that even I'm a little surprised at how... uhm... yeah... it is

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Final Fantasy IX is basically a Dragon Quest game except the main character isn't silent and multiple characters have actual agency, which is why it's good.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Jazerus posted:

my final fantasy sin is that i think ff4 is bottom-tier. the worst one, if ff2 didn't exist

While I see your point, i'm baffled at it because 3 also exists.

Himuro posted:

I said plenty of times that i don't even dislike the game. I still like it. It's an okay game. I just place it as a low-tier FF and really don't get the "this is the best FF ever" nods.

I don't think i'll ever return to 9 unless it gets the FF7R treatment. Combat was a gauntlet from start to finish and the only reason I was able to complete it was because of abilities like Frog Drop and Dragon Crest where I can just quad 9 without worrying about defenses or strategy.

I'm thankful to be back to playing FFX, the game with the best combat.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It looks like she pooped out Venom's symbiote at first.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm currently playing 3 for the first time. On my phone.

It's bad y'all

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's bad y'all

FFIII NES is so much better than the remake.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'll probably give IX another chance with that Moguro mod people keep talking about.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thanks thread, you convinced me to play FF3.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's bad y'all

Life comes at you fast

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

3 is one of my favs actually. it's mechanically satisfying and the side characters are goofy. also the boss theme is great and the enemy sprites are extremely good. that's about all i need from an nes jrpg, and it's basically the best nes jrpg. if you've only played the DS version i think you're missing out - the mechanical changes are bad (MP is not a good substitute for spell slots if the game is designed for spell slots!) and the charm is gone since it looks like a reheated mobile asset flip

4 runs into this uncanny valley problem for me, where it really wants me to care about its story but the sophistication of the story really hasn't advanced enough from the nes-era standard to be satisfying. i'd have preferred another vanilla "Warriors of Light, go forth! Save us!" narrative that was unambitious but less intrusive into the gameplay over what we got, especially given how the narrative must always bend itself into a pretzel to open up spots in your party because there's no party select screen.

mechanically it's a big mess due to the revolving-door party until the very end - the final dungeon is really good, i'll give it that.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 14, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Himuro posted:

Say what you want about FFIX being charming (it is) but when you say FF7 of all games takes itself too seriously my eyes start to glaze over.

I mean yeah, that's true. I think people are falling back on how we felt as kids playing the PS1 Final Fantasies because I remember thinking they were dark and grim, too. And while FFVII and VIII surely have a lot of dark moments, there's a ton of levity there, too.

And the thing is, FFIX takes itself very seriously. Queen Brahne commits loving genocide on the Burmecians and Cleyrans. The only city in the entire game that doesn't get hit with a magical weapon of mass destruction is Treno. Vivi is a child who has to grapple with mortality and oncoming death far too soon. FFIX's art style seems to mask just how dark it can be.

I think what makes FFIX some people's favorite (including mine) is just purely an emotional, even sentimental, thing, but that's not really a "fake" or wrong reason to like something. I'd argue most people's favorite anything isn't due to quantifiable, objective qualities--at some point, if you have a strongly-held favorite, it's down to sentiment, y'know? For me, the sum of FFIX's often-flawed parts just hits right every single time I play it.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'll probably give IX another chance with that Moguro mod people keep talking about.

Yeah, the Moguri/Memoria mods are fantastic. I don't use too many mods--I just use the background upscaling--but there are some that speed up and slightly rebalance the gameplay that seem like good additions, too.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

3 is one of my favs actually. it's mechanically satisfying and the side characters are goofy. that's about all i need from an nes jrpg, and it's basically the best nes jrpg.

What are your thoughts on Dragon Quest III and IV? Not that I disagree FFIII is the best NES rpg. Just curious for your thoughts.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

And the thing is, FFIX takes itself very seriously. Queen Brahne commits loving genocide on the Burmecians and Cleyrans. The only city in the entire game that doesn't get hit with a magical weapon of mass destruction is Treno. Vivi is a child who has to grapple with mortality and oncoming death far too soon. FFIX's art style seems to mask just how dark it can be.

This is also a big reason the whole "FFVII and VIII take themselves too seriously" thing never made sense to me. I mean, the entire world is destroyed in FFIX. If FFVII, a game where you play dress up, is considered too serious while FFIX, the game where the entire world is destroyed in the middle of the story is considered lighthearted then what games are these people even playing? Wasn't Freya's entire race of people sacked by the end of disc 1?

FWIW, I'm fine if people say it's their favorite FF. I get it. I actually thought it was probably the best FF when it came out. My entire problem stems when they claim other FF's do things or FFIX does things that clearly doesn't represent reality.

If you want to say it's more charming than other FF's, I'll take it. I actually kind of agree. But when it's phrased as "FF started to take itself too seriously?" I think the only game at that point that could even remotely make that claim was Tactics and everyone loved Tactics, so what was the problem?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 14, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Himuro posted:

FFIII NES is so much better than the remake.

Yeahhhh, I wanted the easiest version I can cast to my TV, also the worst version

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Nah, the original NES version of 3 isn't bad. It's fairly fun to play through, it's the origin of a bunch of series staples, it's got a few interesting mechanics. That said, I would probably describe it as not particularly necessary to play through. If you enjoy the old NES-style RPGs, you'll probably enjoy it, but you won't really miss a ton by skipping it either.

Unfortunately, the remake made a lot of changes that made the game worse and actually ruined some of the interesting mechanics, so the above doesn't really apply unless you're willing to track down the NES version and mess with fan-translations and blah blah.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I love VIII and IX dearly, but I can’t stand playing Triple Triad or Tetra Master. I also don’t like Gwent.

But other people do and that’s fine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MagusofStars posted:

Nah, the original NES version of 3 isn't bad. It's fairly fun to play through, it's the origin of a bunch of series staples, it's got a few interesting mechanics. That said, I would probably describe it as not particularly necessary to play through. If you enjoy the old NES-style RPGs, you'll probably enjoy it, but you won't really miss a ton by skipping it either.

Unfortunately, the remake made a lot of changes that made the game worse and actually ruined some of the interesting mechanics, so the above doesn't really apply unless you're willing to track down the NES version and mess with fan-translations and blah blah.

The problem with III, if there's any, is that V exists which perfected it and basically made it obsolete.

Not to mention that FFV has charm out the rear end compared to III. Who can forget Faris and Gilgamesh?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Himuro posted:

What are your thoughts on Dragon Quest III and IV? Not that I disagree FFIII is the best NES rpg. Just curious for your thoughts.

dq3 is the second-best nes jrpg. my only complaint is that it's overly easy - most of the game could be done with a 3 character party and you have 4 characters. they had to make compromises to accommodate the player potentially making really bad class choices, and dq2 got a lot of backlash for being hard.

dq4...i think it's the worst nes dragon quest within the context of its release year. i liked individual elements, like the multi-part story structure, some of the tilesets, and the wagon-based large party combat, but i didn't feel that everything came together very well in chapter 5 when the party is all together, and the music on nes isn't very good. also the auto-battling was unsatisfying, especially since half of the characters transition from controllable viewpoint characters to autobattling NPCs in chapter 5. i'm given to understand that the remakes change this to the dq5 and onward standard of being able to battle manually or automatically which probably improves things a lot.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

This explains a lot, but I still don't get WHY

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really really hate the combat in IX and the sheer amount of missable cutscenes. I’m considering going back to it but boy it does not seem worth it to me

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

dq3 is the second-best nes jrpg. my only complaint is that it's overly easy - most of the game could be done with a 3 character party and you have 4 characters. they had to make compromises to accommodate the player potentially making really bad class choices, and dq2 got a lot of backlash for being hard.

dq4...i think it's the worst nes dragon quest within the context of its release year. i liked individual elements, like the multi-part story structure, some of the tilesets, and the wagon-based large party combat, but i didn't feel that everything came together very well in chapter 5 when the party is all together, and the music on nes isn't very good. also the auto-battling was unsatisfying, especially since half of the characters transition from controllable viewpoint characters to autobattling NPCs in chapter 5. i'm given to understand that the remakes change this to the dq5 and onward standard of being able to battle manually or automatically which probably improves things a lot.

DQIII nes definitely had a lot of responses to II. I love DQII but I can agree with your assessment on III. I prefer the Super Famicom version.

DQIV remake is much, much better than the original. Check it out on your phone. Chapter 5 you can fully control your party now and it's glorious. The phone version also includes party chat, a feature nixed from the non-Japanese DS release of DQIV. It's the ultimate version of the game. I'd rate it highly among DQ's but the original NES version...eh. I love it but it definitely falls apart in the last chapter. The storytelling is the best on the system I would feel, however. I think SaGa games and later, Suikoden III, pull off the DQIV formula better than the original.

I'd have to say among NES rpgs that DQIII was easily the most iconic. FFIII is perhaps the best in terms of sheer gameplay, systems, and balance.

Have you played Sweet Home, Megami Tensei, or Mother?

I'm dying for DQ1-IV to be remade with voice acting and DQXI graphics.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 14, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The best FF is XII :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The best FF is XII :colbert:

Hey, another person with a Good and Correct opinion!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow yeah, that is... not subtle

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Legend of Dragoon had the unfortunate luck of being dubbed a Final Fantasy killer, which it wasn't. It's still a good game though. The combat system was fun as gently caress.

The GIA review, in hindsight, comes off as highly defensive and reeks of fanboy Kool-Aid despite being devastatingly hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zakharov posted:

Himuro, you asked why people liked it, they told you, and now you're trying to argue with them. That's weird. You don't have to like it. I don't care for VI which I know is an unpopular opinion but I don't try and convince people they're wrong wth Facts and Logic.

Welcome to the Himuro posting experience.