Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

main Tory coop, either sync

Never coop with tories, let alone main ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I don't suppose with the recent popularity of the XC series, maybe XCX will get a remaster? Or at least a port? The last thing I remember hearing was by one of the directors saying a part would take more resources than they're willing to divert I think.

I can't imagine there's enough of a weird following to get an emulator running it and then modding it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
An issue I see with a port is that it would spark interest in a sequel but also probably bring to attention that the story is unfinished and terrible and the main story writer's only skill is peppering nonsensical plots with judeochristian terms

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I don't suppose with the recent popularity of the XC series, maybe XCX will get a remaster? Or at least a port? The last thing I remember hearing was by one of the directors saying a part would take more resources than they're willing to divert I think.

I can't imagine there's enough of a weird following to get an emulator running it and then modding it?
You can already emulate XCX and even play it on the official servers if you can acquire/dump some wiiu network certificates. It's not perfect yet but it's apparently very playable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mono is already stretching themselves between making Breath of the Wild 2, the Xeno 1 remake, and their brand new ip project.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

If someone made a mod for XCX that swapped out every track with songs from AoT most people wouldn't think anything was out of place.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How hosed is it that X has in insurance mechanic? And that you can permanently lose your skell and all of its equipment if you're not careful???

I can't believe this game sometimes, honestly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's kinda fun as a mechanic though and lets there be some kind of risk

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

How hosed is it that X has in insurance mechanic? And that you can permanently lose your skell and all of its equipment if you're not careful???

protip: your party members can get their mechs blown up left and right and it will never consume insurance, so if you've failed the button prompt to save a mech a couple of times you can just foist it off onto another party member and be fine

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chronojam posted:

It's kinda fun as a mechanic though and lets there be some kind of risk

i kinda get it but the grind to get certain mechs is atrocious and, for me, even a slight chance of mech permadeath just adds stress to the experience instead of fun

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Amppelix posted:

that's just how it be in space america

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amppelix posted:

I like how if an AI controlled party member is controlling it they always safely eject and save the skell. The insurance poo poo is entirely on the player to do a QTE which can easily show up out of nowhere when you first get your skell and don't realize a bunch of XXL poo poo that's level 40+ and passive towards humans is aggressive towards skells. Suddenly you're getting a QTE and 5-digit damage out of nowhere and oops there goes your skell (and your party, because the monster is now aggro to everyone).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A button that prevents permanent mech loss is only acceptable when it's a giant red button under a plastic cover on a separate controller, Steel Battalion style.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Tae posted:

Mono is already stretching themselves between making Breath of the Wild 2, the Xeno 1 remake, and their brand new ip project.

Calling XB Switch a "remake" is probalby giving it way too much credit. Based on everything we know thus far, it's an enhanced port. I sincerely doubt Monolith is working on the port; it was likely farmed out to one of Nintendo's smaller studios or something similar.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's got at least some entirely new content, but we barely know the extent of it still.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Prowler posted:

Calling XB Switch a "remake" is probalby giving it way too much credit. Based on everything we know thus far, it's an enhanced port. I sincerely doubt Monolith is working on the port; it was likely farmed out to one of Nintendo's smaller studios or something similar.
The character models and environments seem remade from scratch, which i would already put past "enhanced port"

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Amppelix posted:

The character models and environments seem remade from scratch, which i would already put past "enhanced port"

That automatically boosts it up to HD rerelease.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Amppelix posted:

What makes you think they're "made from scratch"? Are you basing it off of that short trailer and screenshots? Because, honestly, those just make the game look like a higher res version of the original game with updated character models. It doesn't really look any different than the emulated version up-scaled to 1080p.

I don't want to downplay the amount of work it takes to do a decent port of a title, but no information thus far indicates this wouldn't be farmed out to a smaller studio dedicated to porting old titles.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2020

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Prowler posted:

What makes you think they're "made from scratch"? Are you basing it off of that short trailer and screenshots? Because, honestly, those just make the game look like a higher res version of the original game with updated character models. It doesn't really look any different than the emulated version up-scaled to 1080p.

I don't want to downplay the amount of work it takes to do a decent port of a title, but no information thus far indicates this wouldn't be farmed out to a smaller studio dedicated to porting old titles.

??? Think you might need to go look at the original game again, even in the emulator version with the HD texture pack it never looked quite like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfb4Mwo_dY

There's way more geometry in the models and environments. Lighting effects are stronger, and there's more grass/tree detail in the environments. Plus the extra area at the end which was cut from the Wii version :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it also looks like they've changed the art direction with the characters a bit to bring them closer to XB2 in aesthetics.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mr. Trampoline posted:

??? Think you might need to go look at the original game again, even in the emulator version with the HD texture pack it never looked quite like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfb4Mwo_dY

Hmm, fair enough.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
So, the remake for Xenoblade 1 is coming out in shortly, however it looks like it is literally just a reskin with better graphics and a small extra section at the end which is kind of disappointing for $60.

Was hoping for some more changes, or an update to the combat system or options, etc.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zarfol posted:

So, the remake for Xenoblade 1 is coming out in shortly, however it looks like it is literally just a reskin with better graphics and a small extra section at the end which is kind of disappointing for $60.

Was hoping for some more changes, or an update to the combat system or options, etc.

It's got a new expert mode to reduce experience and adjust levels (as well as an easy mode), Challenge Mode/Time Attack ala XB2, new music, new gear, new quest tracker, FC (which is its own thing like Torna)... Dunno what else you'd expect from it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zarfol posted:

I don’t think it’s just a reskin, it’s a full graphical overhaul. They also overhauled the UI and menus, which is a much-needed change.

Also they confirmed the original voice actors will be back for the extra episode which is great. Some people were worried that Jenna Louise Coleman would be unavailable since she is well known now thanks to Doctor Who.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Terper posted:

It's got a new expert mode to reduce experience and adjust levels (as well as an easy mode), Challenge Mode/Time Attack ala XB2, new music, new gear, new quest tracker, FC (which is its own thing like Torna)... Dunno what else you'd expect from it.

Not really sure honestly. I guess coming off of Final Fantasy 7 Remake for $60 bucks I was kind of expecting new content or a bunch of new content for that price tag, although I guess FF7 Remake is only 1/3 or whatever of the full game.

I'll probably buy it anyway since I like the franchise.

Would have like more NG+ options like they did in XBC2 (The Torna Blades, Elma, Shulk, etc), but make them playable characters in XB1, or options to try tweaks to the combat (like how they completely changed the combat in Torna).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

See the difference is that Final Fantasy 7 Remake billed itself as a remake, and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition as a definitive edition :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You forgot to mention that they're making cosmetic slot a separate modifier, so you can play fashion Blade without worrying about stats

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zarfol posted:

Not really sure honestly. I guess coming off of Final Fantasy 7 Remake for $60 bucks I was kind of expecting new content or a bunch of new content for that price tag, although I guess FF7 Remake is only 1/3 or whatever of the full game.

I'll probably buy it anyway since I like the franchise.

Would have like more NG+ options like they did in XBC2 (The Torna Blades, Elma, Shulk, etc), but make them playable characters in XB1, or options to try tweaks to the combat (like how they completely changed the combat in Torna).

Personally I'm not a fan of content that is gated behind NG+ in a long jrpg, so I'm very glad they aren't doing this

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tbh somebody should make a Xenoblade megathread so people know they can talk about both XC:DE and XC2 (and XCX, if they’d like) in it. Plus it would be good to hype up XC:DE for newcomers. Paging Louisgod to this thread.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I was thinking of writing one up this weekend when I'm not swamped with work and or exhausted but if anyone chooses to surpass me and post the thread we've all been searching for before that, then I...!

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell XS Switch is just a graphics upgrade. It still has a crazy amount of side quests and they didn't really add content.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm not sure how exactly to quantify it but I absolutely loved XBX and I love the gameplay and not story components of XBC2 but I just don't like anything about Xenoblade. XBX started the trend of giving you a million game mechanics to give you rewards through, but I just never felt like I was getting anything cool for exploring in X1. I did all the quests in the first big zone and I never got any rewards where I thought it was worth my time, especially with how mundane they all were

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jintozook81 posted:

As far as I can tell XS Switch is just a graphics upgrade. It still has a crazy amount of side quests and they didn't really add content.

They've revamped a lot of the menus and redid the soundtrack. There's new story content as well (an epilogue chapter of some kind.),

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Terper posted:

I was thinking of writing one up this weekend when I'm not swamped with work and or exhausted but if anyone chooses to surpass me and post the thread we've all been searching for before that, then I...!

I was planning on making a new thread for the definitive edition when it got close to release. I'm also not exactly starved for time at the moment, so I could get it done by tomorrow or the day after.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Paging Louisgod to this thread.

Hmm, you might be waiting a bit on that call.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jintozook81 posted:

On the other hand, view any of the videos or comments Nintendo has made about various feature updates, lots of qol things like better indications for positional attacks and the quest tracker overhaul. Looks like the epilogue side story is playable from when you first launch the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GameXplain posted a long video talking about DE - the big things that stood out to me is that apparently quest trackers will tell you where specific Collectibles are if you've already obtained one before, the Future Connected Map is inexplicably all displayed as one elevation level, and the two new Future Connected Nopon party members are basically just Reyn and Sharla, ability wise. The AI apparently isn't any better so RIP having Melia in the party as your non-main character.

(The video shows a lot of footage from Future Connected so maybe you don't want to actually watch that part)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not sure how exactly to quantify it but I absolutely loved XBX and I love the gameplay and not story components of XBC2 but I just don't like anything about Xenoblade. XBX started the trend of giving you a million game mechanics to give you rewards through, but I just never felt like I was getting anything cool for exploring in X1. I did all the quests in the first big zone and I never got any rewards where I thought it was worth my time, especially with how mundane they all were

The big reward for exploring in XC was the exp, AP and SP you got for finding new areas, especially secret areas. Leveling up abilities and getting new skills was crucial to your success. Plus hidden areas tended to have a lot of collectibles and sometimes rarer ones. Or unique enemies that dropped really good stuff and have you those skill link coins or whatever when you beat them.

Being able to track what unique mobs you’ve fought would be a huge qol improvement that I hope they will integrate.

Sam Faust posted:

Hmm, you might be waiting a bit on that call.

Welp,

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The main thing I wanted was improvement to the AI so Sharla would cool her rifle at more opportune times, and of course making Melia useful. Alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Jintozook81 posted:

Theres apparently a challenge mode like the one that XB2 got as DLC. I've seen reference as well to other added content but its all behind the preview embargo.