Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fallom posted:

I'm not sure there is a decent defense for the way Rockstar does it, in particular, because plenty of games make an effort to have your character feel grounded without feeling as bizarre as RDR 2.

Witcher 3 tried to implement something like Rockstar's movement style and it sounds like the developers practically had a revolt over it, never mind the players.

Yeah, in Witcher 3 they added an optional movement mode in a patch which cuts down on the "tank feel" physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52arfcOeWl4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ll be getting in to GTA5 bc EGS finally offered something I couldn’t pass up to bother with their launcher. Is the PC port okay?

I don’t plan to do a drat think with GTAO, so I can mod. Anything worthwhile there?

I'm a big fan of the LSPDFR mod. Basically, it's a fully fledged police sim, letting you do anything from traffic cop to stopping bank heists. Kinda like LA Noir's side missions.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Since we're talking about the EGS sale in here, let me ask you if Control is worth $20?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Oldstench posted:

Since we're talking about the EGS sale in here, let me ask you if Control is worth $20?

Totally.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Oldstench posted:

Also since I viewed EGS for the first time today, how is Old World as a (I assume) Civ competitor?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SardonicTyrant posted:

We all know what makes a bad open world game, but what makes a good open world game?

You'll find out when Horizon Zero Dawn comes to PC.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Has anyone heard confirmation if Tetris Effect will come to steam? Tempted to pick it up for epic store but I've heard little about it going elsewhere.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I'd also put it down to the art style. It's not quite as cartoony as Warcraft 3 or cell-shaded in the style of games like Okami, but it's visibly not aiming for realism as far as the technology of the time allowed it, so it ages better in comparison to games that do.

ShootaBoy posted:

A cartoony art style done well will always age better than trying to push the envelope of "realistic" style graphics.

Well, gosh darn. I'm impressed.
-
I thought everyone that wanted it already owned GTA5 at this point. Now if it were RDR2. hooooooo boooooooy

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The Terraria devs dropped the final content update change log in preparation for release in 2 days. All 40 pages (with a nice table of contents and plenty of images) can be found here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/there-back-again-a-summary-of-journeys-end.87997/

Simply calling it an update is not quite fair...it's an absurd amount of QOL changes, balances, and new modes.

Here is a high level summary:
  • Added Journey Mode, a brand new world and character difficulty mode that offers unprecedented control over the way you play. Features unique powers such as item duplication, weather control, spawn rate and difficulty sliders, and more.
  • Added Master Mode, a new highest difficulty surpassing that of Expert. Test your skills against even harder challenges, and perhaps be rewarded with some unique rewards from each boss
  • Added two brand new bosses to seek out and challenge
  • Added the Bestiary, an encyclopedia of the enemies, allies, and critters you encounter on your journey
  • Added Golf, a new fun pastime for when you want to take a break from all the monster slaying
  • Added Windy Day weather, along with various ambient effects and even some enemies
  • Added Town Pylons and NPC Happiness, an expansion on the town system that culminates with the ability to build a teleportation network to towns around the world
Then there's the thousands of new items, NPCs, enemies, flora, fauna, biomes, etc...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The bastard did it, he's going to get me to play Terraria one last time..

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Never really got into Civ back into the day, but I've been playing VI lately and enjoying it and it's kind of made me curious about something a little more complicated. I'm down with a space setting and both Stellaris and Age of Wonders: Planetfall are both on sale right now, and I guess thanks to the EGS $10 off coupon, Old World is sort of "on sale" too. Any of these worth looking into? I also own Endless Space 2 but never really gave it a fair shot; should I just try and get into that instead?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
ES2 is totally worth giving a fair shot. Its faults lie mostly with experienced players knowing how to clown on the AI (even on max difficulty) ruining replayability. Until then it's a great title with each race playing differently.

I'd avoid Stellaris. It sells itself much better than the actual time-spent-playing is like (which is mostly tedius busywork), and for the past few years has had serious bugs and performance issues, this includes yesterday's patch.

I've not touched Planetfall due to being leery of Paradox titles, someone else can chime in if it's worth the money.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Oh yeah. Had a couple gripes with it, like some unnecessary RPG elements that can mostly be ignored by just equipping whatever has the highest number on it, but it's solid. Gorgeous graphics that scale really well even on my 1060, cool setting if you're into conspiracy theories and secret government blacksites, and while the combat isn't particularly deep the game eventually opens up enough tools that you have a load of different ways to keep things fun. I was skeptical going in but really really enjoyed it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Serephina posted:

ES2 is totally worth giving a fair shot. Its faults lie mostly with experienced players knowing how to clown on the AI (even on max difficulty) ruining replayability. Until then it's a great title with each race playing differently.

Thanks! I'll boot it up again tonight -- the races are absolutely what makes it stand out to me, I'm a sucker for interesting asymmetric design. Did some more research on Stellaris and it's probably not for me, but would love to hear from anyone who's played Planetfall. Also still curious about Old World though and wondering exactly how "early access" it feels right now. A civ-like with leaders that live and die with Crusader Kings style storytelling and heirs and poo poo almost sounds too good to be true

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Control would be my game of the year, if Disco Elysium didn't come out in that same year.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nthing Control, get it on sale now because for $30 ($20?) it's a steal. I think it drags in the latter third or so of the game personally but I loved everything about the setting, story, and gameplay.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

explosivo posted:

Nthing Control, get it on sale now because for $30 ($20?) it's a steal. I think it drags in the latter third or so of the game personally but I loved everything about the setting, story, and gameplay.

It's $20 with the -$10 coupon that's auto applied on purchase.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I loved Fallen Order, Control has a far better version of the Force.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

goferchan posted:

Never really got into Civ back into the day, but I've been playing VI lately and enjoying it and it's kind of made me curious about something a little more complicated. I'm down with a space setting and both Stellaris and Age of Wonders: Planetfall are both on sale right now, and I guess thanks to the EGS $10 off coupon, Old World is sort of "on sale" too. Any of these worth looking into? I also own Endless Space 2 but never really gave it a fair shot; should I just try and get into that instead?

Planetfall is an extremely good game but it's much, much more combat focused than Civ and not necessarily more complex. The strategy layer is pretty much just there to fuel your armies that fight in X-COM-esque tactical fights. Units are very customizable and the races are all very unique though, so it's not a simple game either. If that sounds like something you're interested in, I can't really recommend the game enough.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Huntdown came out a few days ago on the epic store (next year on steam), you can get it for $10 with the coupon. It's got a real Apogee shareware look to it but it actually reminds me just a little bit of incredible arcade game Elevator Action Returns. Lots of stages, fun bosses at the end of each, decently tough if you turn the difficulty up. I like it a lot.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1261069879932665856

I don't even know if I like this visual novel (it badly needs an editor) but I'm still happy to see that it's finally fully officially translated.

Chapter 8: Masturbatashi

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ll be getting in to GTA5 bc EGS finally offered something I couldn’t pass up to bother with their launcher. Is the PC port okay?

I don’t plan to do a drat think with GTAO, so I can mod. Anything worthwhile there?

For what it's worth, GTAV requires the Rock Star Social Club app no matter what platform you buy it from, and I'm pretty sure you can install and run it from there too so you can skip the epic game store once you've got the game.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so im playing pathfinder kingmaker and finally i arrive to that warlord rear end in a top hat and time runs out, gently caress off game. unistaled

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Hades is $10 after the Epic coupon, which was an instant buy price for me.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

so im playing pathfinder kingmaker and finally i arrive to that warlord rear end in a top hat and time runs out, gently caress off game. unistaled

There's a time limit in a CRPG?????

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

thicc_waluigi posted:

Fallout 1 did but lol at taking after Fallout 1.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

:rip: Vault 13.

Anyway Control is really good, worth full price an absolute steal at $20 easily one of the top games of 2019, a year full of incredibly good games.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 15, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As did Fallout 2 :v:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

thicc_waluigi posted:

Man, I literally just finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker tonight after 85 hours of playtime. It was getting to be a slog, just too much with some questionable design decisions. I did like it enough to finish, I found it captured much of the essence of Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the minute-to-minute gameplay (well, most of the time) more than either Pillar of Eternity game. Even when PoE2 is more intellectually satisfying, being far better written.

But P:K is really trapped with some antiquated design decisions.
  • Time limits and time management are a major part of the game, yet it also likes to waste your time
  • Rail-roaded morality, you have to make some extremely stupid dialog choices along the classic DnD Lawful/Chaotic and Good/Neutral/Evil alignments
  • Bad quest interactions, failing one quest because you completed a completely unrelated quest
  • Too faithful to annoying PnP rules. Near the end of the game it starts tossing attribute-damaging enemies at you. What spell clears up the diseases they give you? Restoration? No. Cleanse? No. Cure? No, that is for the generic "disease" status only. You specifically need Heal, what a needless pain in the rear end.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I bought Age of Wonders Planetfall and I'm honestly pretty bummed out that there are 3 sets of customization options that were only given out to newsletter subscribers during the pre-order period. The old-timey astronaut set from it looked great and there's no way to get them now other than pirating the game.

Games shouldn't do that. Give my utterly inconsequential costumes :qq:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Control is legit good and has my favorite gaming moment this side of witcher 3. when you play it you will know. buy it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rebel Blob posted:

[*]Too faithful to annoying PnP rules. Near the end of the game it starts tossing attribute-damaging enemies at you. What spell clears up the diseases they give you? Restoration? No. Cleanse? No. Cure? No, that is for the generic "disease" status only. You specifically need Heal, what a needless pain in the rear end.[/list]

You are forgetting the permanent attribute damage trash enemies during that extremely deep dungeon below the large tree while you may or may not even have a cleric in your party.

That's at least a dozen encounters of trash mobs that you still have to manually play and usually at least one party member takes a hit and suffers attribute damage. At level 2-3.

gently caress this game, seriously. At that point a real GM would have been given a wedgie and the group dissolved.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
If anyone wants to try out Control before buying it's on Sony's PC streaming service Playstation Now, which has a 7-day free trial.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Control is a ton of fun, just don't play it like a boring cover shooter, hiding behind corners while your sniper ammo recharges. Get in there and gently caress poo poo up. Take full advantage of the fact that enemies drop health as you damage them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Speaking of EGS games, if anyone hasn't played The Outer Wilds, they should. I think that was in one of my top 5 games ever.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Speaking of EGS games, if anyone hasn't played The Outer Wilds, they should. I think that was in one of my top 5 games ever.

IS IT FREEEEE????

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Everyone is going on about Snowrunner but how's Overpass?
Is it Snowrunner but with racing? Cause that's more up my alley.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ragequit posted:

Looks like the Epic store is finally up again. Journey to the Savage Planet for $8 after coupon caught my eye. Looks like a fun explore and unlock the planet type game with some weird humor. Anyone here give it a shot and can comment?

It's good, I think fully worth $8. Don't expect too much of it though, I found it doesn't quite hold up to it's marketing.

The humor comes as kinda forced, and mostly snappy comments from an A.I. voice that has been so badly altered that it annoyed my ears too much and I had to turn it all the way down.

As typical for that genre there is a lot of backtracking, but there is no map and it can feel repetive for certain secondary tasks. I personally found it a lot less rewarding getting somewhere with a new power as in other games of this genre. There usually are only the same updates that improve health and stamina.

The environment however is stunningly well crafted, the alien life are refreshing mostly and the gameplay is mostly fluid, plays ok with a controller too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

explosivo posted:

The bastard did it, he's going to get me to play Terraria one last time..

I can't even get into it for the first time, the UI and the controls turn me off almost instantly. Maybe it's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Maybe that picture isn't representative, but my immediate reaction is that anyone who finds that to be "sexualized" is probably a pedophile and needs to get help before they start raping kids. Actually loving gross.

This post is not great. I get what you are saying (I have not played the game and only seen the picture that was linked) and agree that if they think that is overly sexualised then I cannot see where they are coming from, but do not immediately jump to calling them a paedophile.

It is, as has been shown in the forum rules, that we do not just claim people are paedophiles and especially not if they watch anime or play anime games.

And also the post that kicked this off from Alamoduh , we have a rule against equating everything anime from being deviant because that is an unfair generalisation that could be levied at more than just anime. I admit I have not played the game and only watched the trailer/seen that picture but I disagree with your assessment as it currently stands.

It is very possible I am completely in the wrong and the game actually does get worse, but I would hope that others who are playing it would agree with you to let the thread know.

Thank you both.