Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Previa_fun posted:

Lol at you scrubs who don't have a miele

Lol at you scrubs who care what Enrique uses to vacuum your floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elviscat posted:

Lol at you scrubs who care what Enrique uses to vacuum your floors.

More like amero-cucks forever enslaved to the tyranny of carpet, rest of the world just has tile/wood and it's easy as hell to clean.

I bet you people wear shoes in the house too, screw that noise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My mom got a Dyson and it's ok but the hose on it is garbage. It wants to collapse back and you have to use it with the really long plastic tube. So I'm trying to get this 2-3 foot long tube into where I need it while the hose is yanking on the other end trying to get back to the vacuum. It's like the guy figured out a cool way to do a vacuum motor but they didn't do any usage testing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a Kenmore-branded Panasonic canister vac and all I can say is after decades of using Panasonic canister vacs I haven't seen a reason to change.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LifeSunDeath posted:

More like amero-cucks forever enslaved to the tyranny of carpet, rest of the world just has tile/wood and it's easy as hell to clean.

I bet you people wear shoes in the house too, screw that noise.

Hey, I need to wear shoes indoors to climb over this mountain of 1 cent pieces my government refuses to discontinue.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

My mom got a Dyson and it's ok but the hose on it is garbage. It wants to collapse back and you have to use it with the really long plastic tube. So I'm trying to get this 2-3 foot long tube into where I need it while the hose is yanking on the other end trying to get back to the vacuum. It's like the guy figured out a cool way to do a vacuum motor but they didn't do any usage testing.

There's a latch at the end of the hose to detach the wand, and the outside diameter of the attachments match the inside diameter of the hose tip.

The hose wanting to collapse, yeah, can't help you with that :shobon:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I recently got a battery powered Shark and it owns. No stupid cord and it comes apart easily into whatever configuration you need quickly with big simple buttons. It's small and dumps the dirt in a second so I can do all my floors in like 20 minutes. Only complaint is on board storage for the tools isn't there but that would just be more to carry around anyway.

I still have a Rainbow and it worked awesome on carpets but it was like an ordeal to get the vacuuming done and gently caress carpets forever.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I have an older Rainbow vac I was given a few years ago, and it's been the best vacuum I've ever used.

Only problems I've had so far was that the beater bar belt snapped, and I cracked the water tank while moving, but both were easily replaced via Amazon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Hey, I need to wear shoes indoors to climb over this mountain of 1 cent pieces my government refuses to discontinue.

:farf::farf::farf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol @ anyone who buys a dyson. Complete loving waste of money.

Sagebrush posted:

also i think they determined that the Dyson Airblade Hand Dryer, which Forces Air Through An Opening The Size Of A Human Hair, actually aerosolizes everything on your hands and spreads it through the bathroom more effectively than any other dryer so

We have Airblade dBs at work for hand dryers.

I can't stand them. They're loud as hell, they're not maintained, and don't forced-air hand dryers spread germs a lot easier anyway? They also break... often. But they wouldn't have the Dyson name on them if they didn't.

They retail for something like $1300 or $1400. I would much rather just have paper towels, especially since, yanno, pandemic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress those airblades

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

STR posted:

I can't stand them. They're loud as hell, they're not maintained, and don't forced-air hand dryers spread germs a lot easier anyway? They also break... often. But they wouldn't have the Dyson name on them if they didn't.

If you trust mythbusters as any source of credible information (and we shouldn't, it's more like a find out what needs real study), it mostly depends on whether you used soap or not. According to them it doesn't matter how you dry your hands if you rubbed soap on your hands for 20 seconds. No soap? Air dryers are by far the worst because as you said, it spreads everything all over the room.

I think a legit study was done on it at one point but I'm not sure how to find it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

"It's deep too!"

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

bull3964 posted:

My floors are all hardwood so my roomba does the heavy lifting well. I just need stick vac to occasionally hit the areas that it can't easy and to chase down cobwebs.

My wife got some kind of hard floor Dyson in a price error from Target and I'm not going to lie... You can actually feel a difference on our wood floors compared to the last vacuum walking around barefoot. I'm okay with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My v10 has the fluffy motor head which does a really good job on hardwood, I just don't have to use it very often since I run the Roomba frequently.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not car related but holy hell repairing a Dyson vacuum. Apparently some engineer really loves torx given there were 20 of them. Yeah, ok, let me bust out the T-8 for about that last one.

And the part that failed was held in with a tiny phillips. :v:

Where does the dislike for torx come from? It was the first good fastener standard and everything should use it, except for the applications more suitable for the common hex nut. The older standards are inferior and the newer ones are too rare and not enough of improvement over torx. All slot, phillips and hex sockets should be thrown in the Mount Doom.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Robertson clearly predates Torx. The fact that Phillips won out in the US will never not make me bitter.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Robertson is so much better than phillips I get pissed off when I think about it too much.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Philips is really poo poo. No matter how well you pair the screw with the bit, it'll skip when using power tools if you angle it the slightest. At least pozidriv improves philips enough to be bearable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My wife got suckered into a Dyson ball and the loving thing falls the gently caress over for no loving reason every goddamn time because it's a stupid piece of poo poo that doesn't even do the goddamn thing it was supposed to do.

Also it's hollow plastic so it loving CLOPCLOPCLOPS over the tile, which isn't a flaw but just really falls under the category of "other poo poo making it feel like it was cheaper than my last computer".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've had zero issues with the factory refurb Dyson v6 I bought 2.5 years ago, having a cordless means little bits get done every day which is a big improvement on leaving everything a week. The DC08 we bought 13 years ago is ticking along in the garage with no issues or broken parts. I know other people have had issues but :shrug:

That said if I needed another corded I'd get a Henry.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

We bought a refurbished Dyson like ten years ago or more that was completely awesome and then my wife went to “upgrade” and got the Ball, which neither of us like. It has all these issues - skipping, falling over, weak suction compared to the original, short power cord, small waste bucket...

Long story short I still use the original one as my shop vacuum for car interiors and the like. It’s got a much longer wand hose and way more suction. Only thing I’ve ever done to it is replace the hose when it got mildewy

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm very happy with my Miele vacuum.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm very happy with my Miele vacuum.

We have an older Dyson handheld that can go die in a fire. We replaced it with a Miele I found ex-demo for AU$250. The difference is staggering, the Miele is amazing. gently caress that goddamn Dyson clogging up with hair everytime you use it forcing me to disassemble the whole goddamn head to clean it.

I can't understand the prices of Miele in the USA though - they seem to be horrifically inflated.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The "not exactly cheap, but get what you pay for" workhorse niche was taken, so they decided to use the mystique of "superior German engineering" to move up into the high end luxury segment?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if you have carpet in your house.

lol if you actually care what I think.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Replaced all the carpet in my house with hardwood. If you want carpet under foot somewhere use a rug or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
You guys should get a Hoover Wind tunnel. It was good enough to exorcise the boil on some goon's taint years ago.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Underfloor heating is also a game changer - mildly heated hardwood or tile is nice even barefoot in the winter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

You guys should get a Hoover Wind tunnel. It was good enough to exorcise the boil on some goon's taint years ago.

No chance, the Hoover brand has been permanently taint-tainted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have an ancient Eureka vacuum that I'm fairly certain is at least 20 years old. Still rips pet hair out of the carpets like nobody's business. My mom gifted me a Roomba that works well enough for the rest of the house, which is that vinyl/linoleum crap.

When I get ready to sell this place for a house with a 2-car garage I'm doing the entire house with either tile or that composite flooring everyone seems to love these days.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our place is 50% carpet 50% hardwood- Cos gently caress having timber in the bedrooms, nothing worse than swinging your feet out of bed when its too early in the morning and hitting a freezing cold floor...

The Neato Botvac does 90% of sucking duties, and doesnt do a too bad job, tho he's getting on a bit and becoming a bit senile and forgets what hes doing some of the time. Or gets stuck on nothing and beeps incessently...

Either the dyson stickvac or the ball does everything else and does it good enough for us. Having the robovac go round once a day means you rarely have to do much with the bigger vacuums though. And its meant that with three cats we dont wind up with an extra cat worth of hair floating around by the end of the week.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
My mom's still pushing her 40+ year old Kirby. I can only assume she's built enough upper body strength to rip logs in half because that thing has to be 30 pounds of steel.

Question for you Roomba guys - what do you do about multi-story houses? 2 Roombas? 1 floor by hand?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Question for you Roomba guys - what do you do about multi-story houses? 2 Roombas? 1 floor by hand?

One per floor. Occasionally when the basement is picked up from all the kid toys then I’ll take both of them down there for a battle royale.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A couple pages of vacuum chat. This thread sucks. :dadjoke:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ferremit posted:

Our place is 50% carpet 50% hardwood- Cos gently caress having timber in the bedrooms, nothing worse than swinging your feet out of bed when its too early in the morning and hitting a freezing cold floor...

Yeah, basically our setup here. Area rugs on the hardwood. Carpet in the upstair bedrooms. Reminds me, I think I hate shopping for carpet more than I do cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

can't beat em, join em, huh?