Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Darchangel posted:

Almost like stuff like that should be taught in primary education. It sort of was when I was in junior- and high school. I took “Recordkeeping” which taught me how to make a budget, balance a checkbook, and other financial record-keeping stuff. “Keyboarding” (typing class, but on computers, because they were still sorta new in the ‘80s, yes, I’m old), home-ec, and such. We also still had a voc-ed program. I took metal shop, but wood shop and the mechanics shop would have been useful, too.
That’s all gone away, mostly, since it doesn’t count toward the standardized testing required to receive funding.

There's plenty of people older than me (or you) that don't know gently caress about this stuff either despite having been nominally taught it in school.

I agree with you that we should definitely encourage some practical programs, and vocational programs are really good. I took some auto shop and mechanical drafting and stuff like that, it was pretty awesome despite me being a "traditionally sucessful" AP class student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took a “shop class” in HS that covered a lot of stuff: mig and arc welding, soldering, basic electric circuits (outlets and switches), and then small engines. I rebuilt my dad’s compressor with a 5hp B&S. I still remember ripping the cord for the first pull and having it run across the room with the gas I had splashed in the carb.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Or the simplest possible solution

Just hire some loving flagmen you cheapskates

That's not how you maximise shareholder value, dummy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThirstyBuck posted:

I took a “shop class” in HS that covered a lot of stuff: mig and arc welding, soldering, basic electric circuits (outlets and switches), and then small engines. I rebuilt my dad’s compressor with a 5hp B&S. I still remember ripping the cord for the first pull and having it run across the room with the gas I had splashed in the carb.

My school had a combination shop and technology class. You spent some time in the shop class which was just woodworking, and then time in the technology class which had you do something like make a video, or soda bottle rocket or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I took as many shop classes as possible, auto shop 1 thru 4, metal shop 1 thru 4 and a couple of wood shop classes in there too.

Also took consumer math which was balancing checkbooks and budgets and that class did me more good than algebra or any other math class ever did

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I took as many shop classes as possible, auto shop 1 thru 4, metal shop 1 thru 4 and a couple of wood shop classes in there too.

Also took consumer math which was balancing checkbooks and budgets and that class did me more good than algebra or any other math class ever did

Took one shop class and that was enough...saw the eye-injury video...it changed me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm surprised I didn't lose a finger or get seriously disfigured (heh) in metal shop. We made bolt bombs and hosed around with acetylene gas and poo poo like that, metal shop was literally filled with Beavis and Butt Heads with minimal supervision.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This will fit right in here. The local paper had some article/obit of a semi-retired local High-School shop teacher who "died doing what he loved!"

The article goes on to say that he burned to death working on some old rear end car in his home shop

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Died doing what he loved...being burnt alive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Died doing what he loved...being burnt alive.

dont kink shame

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I figured it was crushed by a falling car, I feel like it'd be fairly hard to start a fire in a garage that you couldn't escape?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

You and I are probably around the same age with same thoughts.

One of the ones that I took was "Small engines". Was great to overhaul a small B&S and have it fire off. Of course I'll probably have various forms of cancer with the condition of the parts washer, painting various farm implements JD Green and Yellow without various forms of PPE but one thing that teacher nailed into our brains was always wear safety glasses.

Of course your snot was JD green for a day or two.

I built a hibachi from sheet steel in junior high. Was great. Got to use a sheet metal shear, big ol' brake, and a giant spot welder. Didn't get to take Power Systems, which would have included the B&S rebuild, sadly. n high school metal shop, I learned to weld, and the basics of a mill and lathe. Very enjoyable. We built trailers, and engine hoist (that the auto shop used!) and a headache rack for a pickup, among other things. We also may or may not have machine sear pins for an AR-15.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's plenty of people older than me (or you) that don't know gently caress about this stuff either despite having been nominally taught it in school.

I agree with you that we should definitely encourage some practical programs, and vocational programs are really good. I took some auto shop and mechanical drafting and stuff like that, it was pretty awesome despite me being a "traditionally sucessful" AP class student.
True, you have to be willing to learn, to be taught, but even just being exposed to it helps.
And yeah, I took drafting as well. Pencil and paper, never got to CAD. I was am a nerd as well. Top 10 in my class in high school, for whatever *that's* worth (not much, really).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was not interested in any of this stuff in middle school, or even high school. I could turn a wrench, had a bit of the knack for fixing things, but I never developed it. At least, not until I got my first BMW. Then, it was "make the fucker run or you don't go to work", and we all know that necessity is a wonderful motivator for learning.

I should take a drafting course at my community college, yeah, that'd be a good idea. I need to just finish my drat AA so I can get to work on MechE but all these neat practical courses are distracting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I built a hibachi from sheet steel in junior high. Was great. Got to use a sheet metal shear, big ol' brake, and a giant spot welder. Didn't get to take Power Systems, which would have included the B&S rebuild, sadly. n high school metal shop, I learned to weld, and the basics of a mill and lathe. Very enjoyable. We built trailers, and engine hoist (that the auto shop used!) and a headache rack for a pickup, among other things. We also may or may not have machine sear pins for an AR-15.

True, you have to be willing to learn, to be taught, but even just being exposed to it helps.
And yeah, I took drafting as well. Pencil and paper, never got to CAD. I was am a nerd as well. Top 10 in my class in high school, for whatever *that's* worth (not much, really).

I did some paper drafting in technical theater and then also took a CAD course.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

A friend has been driving on this for A While

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I feel compelled to repost this video I took of the driveshaft out of my CR-V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IprSNJADgE4

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Wait until it breaks free with a loud thud and hits your shifter linkage so that hard that the shifter no longer points straight up in neutral.

:flaccid:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

someone should make a beefed up high-temp plastic bendy straw joint you can hose clamp over it

:eng99:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I graduated in 2005 and took cooking, drafting 1 and 2 (both on paper, designed a house in drafting 2), and "home maintenance" which taught us how to pour concrete and involved building a scale model cutaway of a house, from concrete foundation up to asphalt shingles. Now I'm a computer toucher so I guess I shoulda taken more shop classes ...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All you guys and your fancy driveshaft ujoint failures... In 2011 I had just finished building my first Comanche with a front difflock and wasn't used to having anything but open diffs so I still thought I could hammer down with wild abandon and not worry about exploding axleshafts and ujoints. My very first off-road trip in it, this happened. Not my pic (sadly, as far as I know no pics or videos exist of the incident) but exactly the same failure.

The trail leader (in a TJ on 36s, as I recall, lockers front and rear) went up the hard line. I waited for him to get to the top and went for it too. His reaction was "wait that guy only has one locker and 33s... How the gently caress is he getting up this so easy... *Snap crackle pop* oh. No he isn't"

Barely bounced off a couple boulders and all I heard was a pop and suddenly he was waving for me to stop instead of staring in amazement. I get out and... I only have 3 wheels. There are supposed to be 4, generally. Front right was dangling from the steering and brake lines and what was left of the upper balljoint as pictured. I'd torn the ears off the inner and outer axleshafts, and on the next revolution, the inner axleshaft ear ran into the outer and forced the steering knuckle downward, nearly instantly tearing the lower balljoint in half, partially dislocating the upper and bending its stud.

I was able to get it jacked up, pull the busted inner shaft, and force the balljoints back together so I could limp my way back to camp and replace the axleshafts, ujoint, and balljoints that evening. I was on the trail again the next morning, where my fan clutch promptly failed, thermostat stuck closed, and the engine overheated so badly it exploded the upper radiator hose. Fixed all that and drove it home that evening.

I miss the adventures. I'm boring now. Growing up sucks :sigh:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Spotted in the wild while addressing the u-joint posted above

The mechanic that we took that truck to crawled under it and declared the drive shaft a total loss. The yoke on the diff can be replaced, but he advised replacing the whole rear axle as being overall easier than taking the diff apart. We're gonna go part shopping online tonight, but lol. This thing feels like it's on rumble strips at all times over 35 and that thing's clearly been like that for weeks

The friend who owns this truck had previously referred to it and my van as equally reliable and still doesn't understand why I corrected her. :argh:

Javid fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why? Sure, you're probably supposed to put a new pinion preload crush sleeve in and carefully crush it with a torque wrench, but I can tell you I've literally never done that after damaging a yoke, nor have any of my friends, and diffs do fine anyways. Swap a ten dollar junkyard yoke on it, crank the nut down to gudentight-plus-a-really-hard-yank, stick a junkyard driveshaft on it for 50 bucks. Assuming you can find one that hasn't been demolished by the yard forklifts anyways.

Worst case you're out 10 bucks and can swap the rear out next.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

This is why you don’t fork lift cars onto flat beds kids. And so the mystery of the rear suspension being really low has been solved. Dropped $560 on new rear controls arms. By the time I am done this thing will be all new apart from the body and frame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I freak out every time I watch Samcrac go to the copart lot and they are moving cars around on forklifts. It might have been a nice car after whatever totaled it, but what did the forklift do to the underside?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Must be a leftover from when crashed vehicles only sold to breakers for parts instead of YouTubers fixing them up and driving them?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

This is why you don’t fork lift cars onto flat beds kids. And so the mystery of the rear suspension being really low has been solved. Dropped $560 on new rear controls arms. By the time I am done this thing will be all new apart from the body and frame.

WTF, thats like $60 in parts an an hour of labor.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Astonishing Wang posted:

WTF, thats like $60 in parts an an hour of labor.

As I have discovered pre 1965 full size Pontiacs are not well served in the after market so if you are lucky there is one manufacturer and they are making tubular racing piece so you either pay through the nose for 60 year old pieces of unknown history if you can find them or pay through the nose for tubular racing parts :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good lord, glad I stripped down my 1966 Bonneville wreck & kept all of the suspension bits.

Thought that those rear stabilizer arms looked familiar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not car related but holy hell repairing a Dyson vacuum. Apparently some engineer really loves torx given there were 20 of them. Yeah, ok, let me bust out the T-8 for about that last one.

And the part that failed was held in with a tiny phillips. :v:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not car related but holy hell repairing a Dyson vacuum. Apparently some engineer really loves torx given there were 20 of them. Yeah, ok, let me bust out the T-8 for about that last one.

And the part that failed was held in with a tiny phillips. :v:

Lol @ anyone who buys a dyson. Complete loving waste of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean they're fine vacuum cleaners but they are kinda the definition of "overdesigned."

also i think they determined that the Dyson Airblade Hand Dryer, which Forces Air Through An Opening The Size Of A Human Hair, actually aerosolizes everything on your hands and spreads it through the bathroom more effectively than any other dryer so

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i got my wife one of their hair dryers and evidently that thing is bitchin

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They make good, overpriced appliances and a very dangerous and loud hand drier.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol @ anyone who buys a dyson. Complete loving waste of money.

Oh I know, I know, don't get me started. One of those happy wife / happy life moments.

Will say though the drat thing that is 90% plastic has held up probably 8 years of getting beat on before this repair. I was amazed the part I needed was around $28.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh I know, I know, don't get me started. One of those happy wife / happy life moments.

Will say though the drat thing that is 90% plastic has held up probably 8 years of getting beat on before this repair. I was amazed the part I needed was around $28.

Same here, I had one small part break during the warranty period and it’s otherwise held up pretty well. It also helps that I bought it when I worked for an appliance/electronics retailer and got employee discount.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As with most things, don't buy at full price, wait for deals.

I was very happy with the fact that when my v10's battery crapped out, all I had to do was walk into the local Dyson service center and I walked out with a repaired device in about 15 minutes at zero cost. No appointment, no emails, no pre-registration. Just walk in, fill out a form on a kiosk, and hand over the vacuum.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Lol at you scrubs who don't have a miele

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Lol at you scrubs who don't have a miele

The prices really...

suck

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I bought a C3 with an electric powerhead on amazon for like $700 and some change, iirc (which wound up being mostly credit card points). It's expensive, but very nice to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My floors are all hardwood so my roomba does the heavy lifting well. I just need stick vac to occasionally hit the areas that it can't easy and to chase down cobwebs.