Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Manhunt Roosevelt was pretty cool IMO. Jupiter is a complete chump though because the last fight kinda makes you play it safe a bit and whittle down all the adds first. I was with pubbies and we had killed pretty much everything by the time we broke the EMP and made her spawn, so she went down in like 3 seconds after spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they rerun the global events like they did in the first game instead of one and done as part of season FOMO, because I'm dumb and missed them both so far.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the GEs so far have been pretty much garbage so I'd rather not see them get re-run. That said I expect the cosmetics to be available some other way, somehow.

if they retool GEs to be less bad then yeah rerun them at that point though, sure

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah it's pretty amazing how they hosed up GEs.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Thylander (design lead) on live service games.

https://twitter.com/Thylander/status/1260585263321022464

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He's not wrong applying that to Destiny. The last couple seasons have been full of grindy bullshit that I haven't even felt like I was missing out on by not doing. Tried doing one of the recent community events and it was a trashy grind too.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah people *say* they want a steady stream of content but every drought in Destiny was followed up by people getting excited for updates or expansions. Then they got rid of content droughts but replaced it with busywork that you needed to play within a specific time period. Now everyone's just mad all the time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That guy has good opinions:

https://twitter.com/Thylander/status/1256958885161771010

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Like, just stop playing dang. Look back at the time you enjoyed. I don't get how some comments so hard on game devs, in general. I saw one that was like (paraphrased) "Millions are out of jobs but these guys are still working"

Like come on man...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The games are deliberately exploiting people's psychology to create an addictive response, so it's not really that simple.

Obviously people who are miserable playing these games should quit playing them, I'm just agreeing with a lead designer at Ubisoft that there's blame to go around for creating that situation.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 15, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yes, when a game (or anything) is designed to be addictive it's a lot more complicated, and it sucks, and I'm glad at least someone over at Ubi realizes games-as-a-service are so easy to make predatory in that regard. If only gacha developers would come to the same realization...

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah it's pretty amazing how they hosed up GEs.

I think if they just say "look we uh, misnamed GEs. Those things you did in season 1 were actually, um, Regional Challenges? Yeah. And the real GEs are coming later" I'd be fine with it

there was an expectation on what Global Event meant coming from division 1 and what we got sure isn't any of it. on the other hand it did give me a week or two of guilt-free ignoring division 2, which is healthier all around. I straight skipped the reanimation one because I couldn't bring myself to care and I'm almost certain to skip the next one too :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 15, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not sure the GEs in Division 1 were that much better. Most of them were just “you’ll do a lot more damage/take more damage under these conditions” and only really served to make the game much easier or much harder. Even the more complicated modifiers in missions didn’t do much beyond controlling how close you should be to other players. The events we’ve had have had some problems but nothing I’d say makes them worse to play. Some of the GEs in 1 were more frustrating than the ones in 2 so far.

What I’ll agree the events are missing are more substantial rewards. Much like how the field cache reward should come back there could be at the very least season cache rewards for continuing to play with the GE on.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The big differences IMO are 1) the different levels of modifiers and 2) no real penalty for group play.

Every GE in Div1 came with a basic global modifier in every PVE area that was always a buff and then you could raise the difficulty with additional modifiers as well as penalties. Div2's Polarity event came with a pretty big buff but also a huge rear end penalty that was way worse than any in Div1.

Also it's totally nonsense that the GEs are best done solo. They're all on kill challenges that are most efficiently done solo, and the best approach is to wait until every challenge is revealed because every day has overlap. Can you imagine telling someone who's only played Div1 that the best way to engage with a Div2 GE is to not play it until it's almost over, and then just solo it on normal? :psyduck: Like, granted, it can be boring as hell speedrunning Lex/Amherst/Clear Sky in a 4 stack over and over again but at least grouping up in a loving coop game was the way to go.

Like they don't have to exactly copy the Div1 GEs (even though the ones we got so far are just remixes of Blackout and Outbreak) but they really got to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention that the rewards tracks are some weak poo poo; where are my goofy GE themed masks, gun skins and patches? 1 patch and 1 backpack trophy ain't enough for my fashion Division.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

this game has honestly been like a loveable fuckup since its release.

i tried to sell a friend on this game two separate times when he came over my place about 3 months apart and both times div2 was taken down for unscheduled maintenance :shrug:

literally the setting and exploring gameplay is right up his alley too lol

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ugh why is the default setting of the Gamer to be like "This thing isn't fun anymore, now I will keep playing it lots but also spend lots of time yelling at the people who enjoy it to tell them why they're wrong". Like who ever gets to a point where they want to post a screed about how X game devs are lying assholes instead of just playing a different loving game

In playing the game news, noticable difference on grenade accuracy now. Fire hurts but isn't a death sentence. Good improvements overall.

MunchE fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 15, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yeah their ire should be directed to the publishers tbqh

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I've had some discussions with people on the discord about issues of the amount of power locked behind SHD levels (mostly the red stats) and it's led to some thoughts on guiding new people through the new postgame oriented around these points:

1) From the way SHD level stats are structured, they are gating a surprising amount of DPS behind hundreds of SHD levels. I estimate that in total there's the equivalent of 1.5 armor pieces of DPS gear locked behind SHD level 1000, a pretty substantial amount of stats. In comparison, the other 3 colors are not worth anywhere near as much.

2) DPS requirements for heroic is fairly high, requiring very well rolled gear and good gear brand synergies (or very well rolled gear sets) and a good amount of SHD levels.

3) However, lower difficulty loot, particularly solo, is very sparse and not very good. Crafting is mostly useless and vendors mostly sell trash.

4) Support builds (status effect and tanks) require very little however and will be significantly more useful to any heroic group than some half built DPS setup.

From the points above, I would recommend the following course of action:

1) When going through WONY story, leave Wall Street and Pathway Park for last, hopefully after you hit level 40. They will give you a free Pointman chest and Mozambique Special pistol that will be the cornerstone of your tank build. To form the rest of your tank build you can either find yourself some Gila/Golan gear or find 4 piece True Patriot and use the Coyote mask I will mention later. Run Bulwark Shield and whatever else. I prefer the Artificer hive myself.

2) Once you hit level 40, craft yourself 4 pieces of Hard Wired gear (not chest) and 2 pieces of skill gear. Wait, I can hear you say, didn't you say crafting was useless? Mostly useless. With skill gear, the core stat is locked so it removes one element of RNG from the gear you craft. Combine that with gear sets having one less minor and you now have a guaranteed useful piece of skill gear. Recalibrate your Hard Wired pieces to status effect and craft a skill brand chest piece with Tag Team and hopefully either skill haste or status effect. Run technician with the Coyote mask so you can still have skill tier 6 or run full skill tier gear with survivalist so you can give your team a DPS buff after inflicting status effects on the enemy (and fire grenades). I recommend using blinder firefly (even with its extreme unreliability its still the most powerful skill) and jammer pulse (shuts down enemy toys and provides an easy way to proc Tag Team).

3) Get to season level 35 and get a Coyote's mask, one of the best exotics you can get.

4) If you did not get a Pointman, I'd recommend joining on Lincoln Memorial runs to get a chance of getting Tardigrade. If you did not get a Mozambique Special, any decent tactical 1911 pistol will do or you can do the Liberty crafting run. If you did not get Coyote's Mask, you can run Jefferson Trade Center to try get one.

5) Early on, match make for bounties. Bounties have named enemies, who are forced to drop better loot regardless of difficulty, and more often than not you can join in bounties midway, making them quick and easy activities to gain loot.

6) Only missions worth matchmaking for loot are Lincoln Memorial (4 named bosses) and District Union Arena (3 named bosses).

7) With either the tank build or status build, you're ready to matchmake into heroic and actually help your team. You can farm up a proper DPS setup afterwards.

8) Recommended SHD point allocations: Weapon Damage/Crit Chance/Crit Damage/Headshot Damage - Hazard Protection/Explosive Resist/Armor/Health - Skill Haste/Skill Healing/Skill Damage/Skill Duration - Stability/Reload/Accuracy/Ammo

Olds fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 15, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Just jumped back into this after a long break (haven't played since the first raid came out). Is it still normal for gear and skill mods to be nearly worthless? I'm picking up mods that have like a single digit percentage bonus, which is gently caress all. Increasing duration by half a second doesn't make much of a difference. I remember it being like this at launch but figured they might have done something different since.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

alphabettitouretti posted:

Just jumped back into this after a long break (haven't played since the first raid came out). Is it still normal for gear and skill mods to be nearly worthless? I'm picking up mods that have like a single digit percentage bonus, which is gently caress all. Increasing duration by half a second doesn't make much of a difference. I remember it being like this at launch but figured they might have done something different since.

They massively overhauled the gear and loot system. I would suggest hitting up Youtube and searching for something like 'Division 2 gear 2.0' or "Division 2 TU8"

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 15, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mods are now for small increases to certain things, +skill power and such mods are gone. Just stack as many of the same type as you can.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MunchE posted:

Ugh why is the default setting of the Gamer to be like "This thing isn't fun anymore, now I will keep playing it lots but also spend lots of time yelling at the people who enjoy it to tell them why they're wrong". Like who ever gets to a point where they want to post a screed about how X game devs are lying assholes instead of just playing a different loving game

Roman posted:

Thylander (design lead) on live service games.

https://twitter.com/Thylander/status/1260585263321022464

Again, obviously it's something people should try to be aware of and stop themselves when they notice it happening, but that feeling people have that they can't quit is something these games are deliberately creating. Limited time content really fucks with people's brains.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 15, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The original gear system was so convoluted, especially for a shooter.

I mainly play to explore and do random combat but I still enjoy some degree of min/maxing

I'm pretty sure you could have gone insane trying to figure out the other loot systems as a casual like myself

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Olds posted:

A very good post
Out of pure boredom, I decided to see how long it would take to go from 'I finished up to WT5 and stopped playing this game' to 'I can be a useful skill/tank and play Heroics with my friends in 9.1' as outline by Olds.

Starting point was my 3rd slot character who was just that, last time I touched it was a week or so after WT5 was a thing. It took me 4 hours to blast through WONY, basically mainlining, got the Pointman chest at L40 but rolled through Pathway earlier. With the L40 Pointman, a good D50 that dropped during Keener, a decently rolled Golan Mask from a checkpoint and the rest crafted Hardwired you're perfectly able to hang with random challenging/heroic pugs. There's not much XP available on the map to skip over doing Pathway early, but perhaps by clearing out all other map activities you could do it. I was speeding through and only cleared the checkpoints plus a few encounters, that left me at early L39 before just doing Pathway.

I think by the time you would have played enough after this to hit season level 35 you would have collected at least enough to pop together a DPS build that could hang with challenging content, maybe even heroic. So, not bad actually, a lapsed player can get up to current endgame content pretty quick. Why you would want to play Division 2 once you've already escaped its graps though... that's a more difficult question. This doesn't even address that SHD is going to act as a mild gate for at least another 50 or so hours.

I didn't realise SHD watch levels are account wide. You get to assign all the levels from scratch per alt agent.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would really like a reason to really dig through the map and explore various little out of the way areas. Random loot boxes drop purples and piss rolls, gathering water/food/supplies from supply areas doesn't mean anything and bounty locations seem to gravitate to the same dozen locations. Buncha sidequests from the 1-30 game in areas only some bounties and control points capitalize on afterwards.

The map is really good. I want a reason to use more than 20% of it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The mobile game Girls' Frontline will have a collab with the Division. Release date sometime this winter.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Any bets on what we'll be doing in Season 2? I'm guessing we'll see a bigger Black Tusk presence (invasions or something like them) in New York.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

skaianDestiny posted:

The mobile game Girls' Frontline will have a collab with the Division. Release date sometime this winter.

:vince:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Tusk versions of the New York missions sound likely.

Granted I have to wonder where their resources are coming from after we completely decimated their upper ranks. I think we've killed the entire nabbed named squad that spots you at the start of the game in an echo. Nevermind the two razorback modules and two hovercrafts we cleared out.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

skaianDestiny posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a Division Tactics turn based game already, it's a perfect fit for the genre. I think an Agent is a Hero in some Ubi mobile game but that's it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

There's a tie in with ghost recon wildlands too iirc

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fabricated posted:

Black Tusk versions of the New York missions sound likely.

Granted I have to wonder where their resources are coming from after we completely decimated their upper ranks. I think we've killed the entire nabbed named squad that spots you at the start of the game in an echo. Nevermind the two razorback modules and two hovercrafts we cleared out.

I think they tried to handwave that off as saying BT contracted out the remnants of LMB, hence why they're in new york with new tech being jerks

but then you gotta ask where are LMB's resources coming from considering how hard we dunked on them in the first game. The answer is probably just "don't worry about it"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Yeah Ill try to work out where the bad guys come from in between selling these forty light machine guns in my bag and my therapy appointment for ptsd for shooting ten thousand people to death before I go to sleep in the White House.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wow you still sleep? Lucky.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lmao if your agent isn't permanently awake from all the Hyena drugs they've ingested from shooting all those pouches.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

UnknownMercenary posted:

Lmao if your agent isn't permanently awake from all the Hyena drugs they've ingested from shooting all those pouches.

I'm going to take the presidential defense of "They didn't inhale"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint for the first time in a long while. One of the new things I noticed are complete character reskins. They have one that basically lets you play the game as Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell. It's a neat little thing to get you to play the Sam Fisher missions. They have one for the Terminator poo poo too.

I think it would be fun if Division did this. If you're going to have a poo poo ton of microtransaction cosmetics, why not go all in. Get costume packs and poo poo for other Tom Clancy and Ubi games. Let me play as a Rabid or a 15th century templar or whatever the poo poo they are in those Assassin Creed games.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

I would really like a reason to really dig through the map and explore various little out of the way areas. Random loot boxes drop purples and piss rolls, gathering water/food/supplies from supply areas doesn't mean anything and bounty locations seem to gravitate to the same dozen locations. Buncha sidequests from the 1-30 game in areas only some bounties and control points capitalize on afterwards.

The map is really good. I want a reason to use more than 20% of it.

I always thought they should add a new matchmake feature for CPs and then make 'open world exploration' group you by what area of the map you're in so you could actually find a group with common goals

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint for the first time in a long while. One of the new things I noticed are complete character reskins. They have one that basically lets you play the game as Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell. It's a neat little thing to get you to play the Sam Fisher missions. They have one for the Terminator poo poo too.

I think it would be fun if Division did this. If you're going to have a poo poo ton of microtransaction cosmetics, why not go all in. Get costume packs and poo poo for other Tom Clancy and Ubi games. Let me play as a Rabid or a 15th century templar or whatever the poo poo they are in those Assassin Creed games.

the fashion game in D2 is significantly worse than D1 and I think it comes down to two factors

one, gear is too big - specifically backpacks and chestpieces are a lot larger than D1 so you can't see anything. I don't think it's a coincidence a lot of good pieces hide your armor.

two, they seem to be afraid of bright colors except for like 3 pieces

(ok three fuckin lemme recolor the scarf or give me 40 recolors of the scarf this is bullshit)

so yeah, I'm all for it

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I don't know how after the Jupiter Roosevelt mission you aren't all convinced Wave 2 agents are robots/cyborgs/androids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Olds posted:

I don't know how after the Jupiter Roosevelt mission you aren't all convinced Wave 2 agents are robots/cyborgs/androids.

we addressed the PTSD factor quite recently actualy