Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Related question with apologies if this has been hashed out earlier in the thread:

I was told by the roaster who got me into coffee that light roasts have more caffeine because it starts burning off if you go to dark roast, but later when I looked at numbers it seems like roasting is generally done below the melting point for caffeine so I'm not sure how that would work. I have subsequently been told that it is instead because beans expand more if you go to a dark roast and most people are measuring by mass, so that if you instead measure by weight dark and light roasts should have (given identical beans) the same caffeine content. Seems plausible but I have not investigated further.

So what's the deal? Did my grumpy old dude roaster lie to me, or am I overlooking something about what roasting does to caffeine/did the internet just give me incorrect numbers for standard roasting temps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Irony.or.Death posted:

Related question with apologies if this has been hashed out earlier in the thread:

I was told by the roaster who got me into coffee that light roasts have more caffeine because it starts burning off if you go to dark roast, but later when I looked at numbers it seems like roasting is generally done below the melting point for caffeine so I'm not sure how that would work. I have subsequently been told that it is instead because beans expand more if you go to a dark roast and most people are measuring by mass, so that if you instead measure by weight dark and light roasts should have (given identical beans) the same caffeine content. Seems plausible but I have not investigated further.

So what's the deal? Did my grumpy old dude roaster lie to me, or am I overlooking something about what roasting does to caffeine/did the internet just give me incorrect numbers for standard roasting temps?

It's really just about how much coffee you're using. The roast profile doesn't change the amount of caffeine by an appreciable amount, so if someone tells you that one kind of coffee has more caffeine, they're mistaken. Theoretically measuring by weight might get you a smidge more caffeine in a dark roast because the beans should weigh slightly less on a per-bean basis but it's really not going to matter, certainly not enough to make you notice after drinking a cup.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Color me corrected! I had always heard the "light roast has more caffeine" thing and it has proven true for me but I'm probably making stronger coffee than I used to so correlation, causation, etc

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That reminds me of how people drink an espresso and exclaim how they are going to be wide awake now when it's probably less caffeine than a normal cup of coffee.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mu Zeta posted:

That reminds me of how people drink an espresso and exclaim how they are going to be wide awake now when it's probably less caffeine than a normal cup of coffee.

Yeah, i work on a university campus and I always hear people and Starbucks ordering a quad shot on ice and proclaiming that it'll keep them up all night, when really Starbucks drip coffee has so much caffeine in it I'm not sure how they do it without dissolving pills in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I've mostly been drinking espresso lately because of working from home and as a result, my caffeine tolerance is definitely lower than normal. If I end up drinking iced coffee or something it's incredibly easy to overdo the caffeine and be insanely wired (although I find it easy to drink too much iced coffee anyway).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm kind of hearing different things right now so just to clarify, the fact that light roast has more density (weight) than dark roast means that if you measure by scoop (which you shouldn't), light roast will probably end up with more caffeine. But if you measure by weight, it should pretty much even out, because you will end up compensating for the difference in density.

Unless I've heard wrong too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm kind of hearing different things right now so just to clarify, the fact that light roast has more density (weight) than dark roast means that if you measure by scoop (which you shouldn't), light roast will probably end up with more caffeine. But if you measure by weight, it should pretty much even out, because you will end up compensating for the difference in density.

Unless I've heard wrong too.

Essentially. Theoretically measuring by weight will slightly favour dark roasts for more caffeine because you'll get more beans (slightly) for a given weight. If you have pretty uniform bean sizes and roast the same beans some light, some dark, you can guarantee similar caffeine levels by individually counting the beans. I mean. If you want to be sure. :V

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have another 'technical' question. It's about whether to count the water that you lose in the coffee filter when calculating the amount of caffeine you ingest.

To clarify, I'm 'losing' a lot of water in the coffee filter. First, I ran 300ml through my machine, with no filter and no coffee in it. Almost all 300ml ended up in the caraf, so the process of heating & dripping loses almost no water. Next, I ground 20g on the finest setting and ran 300ml through the machine again. When the machine turned into heating mode after about 2:30 minutes, I turned it off. At that time, 190ml of coffee had collected in the caraf. So, the filter and the grounds therein soak up about 110ml of water.

So here comes the question: my mixture contained 20g of coffee (~166mg caffeine). But only 190 of the intended 300ml ended up in my cup. How much caffeine did I actually get?

e: by the way, further experimentation shows that the finest setting is not necessarily the best setting for drip coffee :science:

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
If your doctor has prescribed you a precise dose of caffeine in mg, probably better to get that requirement by taking pills, which can be measured precisely

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the Knock Feld2 still the go-to "good" hand grinder? I'm looking for something that I can grind 42g for a Chemex. I tried searching for it but it seems to be gone? Is it just a supply chain thing or is there something else?

e: Also, on the subject of electric grinders, is there a grinder that doesn't take up much counter space (again, for Chemex / Aeropress / FP / etc, no espresso)? I have a Capresso and I like it's compact form-factor, but the grind isn't as consistent as I'd like, and it shoots coffee dust poo poo all over the counter when I open it up.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the Knock Feld2 still the go-to "good" hand grinder? I'm looking for something that I can grind 42g for a Chemex. I tried searching for it but it seems to be gone? Is it just a supply chain thing or is there something else?

e: Also, on the subject of electric grinders, is there a grinder that doesn't take up much counter space (again, for Chemex / Aeropress / FP / etc, no espresso)? I have a Capresso and I like it's compact form-factor, but the grind isn't as consistent as I'd like, and it shoots coffee dust poo poo all over the counter when I open it up.

When I decided to get a good hand grinder a few months back I was originally set on the Knock Aergrind which I think replaced the Feld. I couldn’t find it in stock anywhere except Feld, and many people complained about paying for one and not getting it or any communication for months, so instead I did some research and wound up with a Lido E which I am very happy with. However those all seem to be out of stock. The Kinu M47 gets good press and is in stock at Prima.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

PRADA SLUT posted:

IMO if you’re just doing brewed coffee (no espresso) the Comandante C40 is the one to get, but also IMO once you’re in this price range they’re all pretty good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

i own every Bionicle posted:

When I decided to get a good hand grinder a few months back I was originally set on the Knock Aergrind which I think replaced the Feld. I couldn’t find it in stock anywhere except Feld, and many people complained about paying for one and not getting it or any communication for months, so instead I did some research and wound up with a Lido E which I am very happy with. However those all seem to be out of stock. The Kinu M47 gets good press and is in stock at Prima.

I saw that but heard it produces a lot of fines for a pourer. I have an Aergrind but it doesn't fit 42g, which annoys me. I use it for a travel AeroPress

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 9, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hypnophant posted:

If your doctor has prescribed you a precise dose of caffeine in mg, probably better to get that requirement by taking pills, which can be measured precisely

I'm not sure if this response was sarcastic or not, but if it was, I concede that I'm probably overthinking this. The thing is, I'm trying to not greatly overdo on caffeine (try to keep it at 400mg). I had the impression that I was taking in far more than I wanted, so that's why I'm looking at this more closely.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm not sure if this response was sarcastic or not, but if it was, I concede that I'm probably overthinking this. The thing is, I'm trying to not greatly overdo on caffeine (try to keep it at 400mg). I had the impression that I was taking in far more than I wanted, so that's why I'm looking at this more closely.

Then your problem is that the amount of caffeine in coffee can be wildly inconsistent; even a cup of drip decaf can potentially have more caffeine than a can of cola.

When I'm trying to limit the amount of caffeine I ingest daily, I limit myself to one cup of coffee at the beginning of the day, then stick to tea or soda for the afternoon/evening. I also recommend trying your local roaster's decaf offerings; while I've never had a cup of decaf that didn't taste "decaf", I would say that by and large the processing and roasting of decafs has improved a lot and while they won't fool you they can still taste pretty good (and, again, they do have some caffeine in them).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

Then your problem is that the amount of caffeine in coffee can be wildly inconsistent; even a cup of drip decaf can potentially have more caffeine than a can of cola.

When I'm trying to limit the amount of caffeine I ingest daily, I limit myself to one cup of coffee at the beginning of the day, then stick to tea or soda for the afternoon/evening. I also recommend trying your local roaster's decaf offerings; while I've never had a cup of decaf that didn't taste "decaf", I would say that by and large the processing and roasting of decafs has improved a lot and while they won't fool you they can still taste pretty good (and, again, they do have some caffeine in them).

Yeah there’s honestly no point in focussing like that due to sheer variability. You’ll know if you’re drinking too much caffeine if it’s affecting you negatively. If so, back off.

Most decaf does have some caffeine, but it’s honestly pretty trivial most of the time unless you’re drinking several pots. Methylene chloride retains the best flavour by a bit, followed up with a tie of ethyl acetate (‘sugarcane’) and water processing (although the ‘Swiss water’ (Vancouver) people are huge chemophobes with deceptive marketing).

I will say that roasting your own decaf is the way to go if you ever want to explore decaf and have the interest. I’ve roasted several dozen batches now that while aren’t nearly as good or interesting as the caffeinated varieties I roast, I’d be hard pressed to say many of them are decaf if someone handed one to me at their house.

There’s at least one species of coffee found to have no caffeine naturally; they’re still working on developing it into business viability. It’s going to be huge huge when it happens, though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Lido are well liked hand grinders itt, but that's the only one I ever tried so idk.
Idk what constitutes "much counter space" in your book, but the older baratzas are superb and typically last a long time. If noisy. A guy itt was trying their Sette's when they came out, iirc, and had a miserable run of bad luck. But that was a few years ago.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I got the lido E but I definitely wish I got the commandante. grinds pop out of my lido all the time and it's annoying as hell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Lido 3 comes with a lid. You can just buy one too. But yeah overall I love the LIDO grinds but the design is clunky and heavy AF.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lido are well liked hand grinders itt, but that's the only one I ever tried so idk.
Idk what constitutes "much counter space" in your book, but the older baratzas are superb and typically last a long time. If noisy. A guy itt was trying their Sette's when they came out, iirc, and had a miserable run of bad luck. But that was a few years ago.

I like my Sete quite a bit but I can’t deny the fact it is *loud*.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Lido 3 comes with a lid. You can just buy one too. But yeah overall I love the LIDO grinds but the design is clunky and heavy AF.

No way it’s heavier than the helor flux. All metal. Robur burrset.

It should be a murdee weapon in Clue for millennials.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Nine of Eight posted:

I like my Sete quite a bit but I can’t deny the fact it is *loud*.

someone in this thread recommend the Eureka Mignon Specialita and it seems pretty great to me. Smallish and quiet and super slick to use.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Got a link?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Got a link?

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/LIDO-Series-Hopper-Stopper-Plug_p_76.html

Not sure how well it'll fit in the E since that model has the one piece arms and the "chute" looks to be longer and less steep. Even in my ET it kinda just sits there not very secure. It stops beans from flying out, but if you tilt the grinder to far over while grinding, the plug will go flying.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

bizwank posted:

Spring water can have tons of dissolved minerals in it which is generally the opposite of what you want in your espresso machine, and you may not be descaling often enough depending on where you live and where exactly that water is coming from. It sounds like you probably have a bunch of calcium buildup in the boiler; I'd descale the hell out of it and switch to normal bottled water, and hope that does the trick. Otherwise yeah you could be looking at a boiler pull/cleaning and/or replacement if it's set in too well.

Also you don't need to back flush it weekly nor use milk cleaner...ever, unless you're making hundreds of coffees a day on it. Back flush it when you descale and just blow a little steam and hit it with a rag to keep the wand clean.

The descale did the trick. All I have up here in larger containers is spring or distilled, so I’m mixing the two so total dissolved salts is in the 30-60 ppm range. No salt taste anymore.

I already purge the wand, so that’s a good thing to know.

Thanks for the help.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

Trip report: My beans arrived today. It says they were roasted on April 14th so considering shipping is free and the low cost I think it's not bad at all. I paid a slightly more premium for the $10 blend and it's very good. In the questionnaire I said I like Blue Bottle's Three Africans the most and it does taste very similar. Would recommend, and someone use nwin's code for a discount.

I got my beans about a week after you.

I've liked all the beans I've tried so far and should be getting another batch sent to me this week. For $30, 4 bags isn't a bad deal at all and it's been pretty decent coffee. Since I've got the Moccamaster at home, I've been making a lot more coffee since I just brew a pot every day for my wife and I and that uses about 65g per pot.

Referral code if anyone wants to try Craft Coffee: dea-vzj at https://www.craftcoffee.com

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nwin posted:

I got my beans about a week after you.

I've liked all the beans I've tried so far and should be getting another batch sent to me this week. For $30, 4 bags isn't a bad deal at all and it's been pretty decent coffee. Since I've got the Moccamaster at home, I've been making a lot more coffee since I just brew a pot every day for my wife and I and that uses about 65g per pot.

Referral code if anyone wants to try Craft Coffee: dea-vzj at https://www.craftcoffee.com

So how do I use this referral code? Got through to the end of checkout and didn't see anywhere to plug it in? e: NM, gift code at the end.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 13, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deathlove posted:

So how do I use this referral code? Got through to the end of checkout and didn't see anywhere to plug it in? e: NM, gift code at the end.

Awesome thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a thread recommendation for a pour over hand grinder for Kalita? I’ve currently got a Porlex which I think kinda sucks? I’ve been using it with my Clever which is probably fine for that but looking if an upgrade is worth it.

I’ve got a long term plan to grab a Baratza Sette 270 for espresso so don’t want to spend heaps on a hand grinder.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I was in the same position, I wanted something better than my Porlex for Aeropress and was going to get a Knock Aergrind because it was like the cheapest “good” grinder in the extensive research (one YouTube video) I watched and didn’t seem to be handily beaten by anything else. But they were really hard to find and Knock was really late actually sending out orders, so I spent a little more on a Lido E. I also switched to V60.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 15, 2020

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a thread recommendation for a pour over hand grinder for Kalita? I’ve currently got a Porlex which I think kinda sucks? I’ve been using it with my Clever which is probably fine for that but looking if an upgrade is worth it.

I’ve got a long term plan to grab a Baratza Sette 270 for espresso so don’t want to spend heaps on a hand grinder.

What's your Budget?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

anyone ever try coffea eugenioides?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I’ve been using the same metal pour over filter for several years. (I think it was by Hario but it’s similar to this one) I keep it clean, soap and water after every use, occasional dishwasher cycle. Lately, it completely clogs up about halfway through the pour process. It flows fine for the first minute, then slows to a drop at a time until it stops entirely with 1/4 of the water left in the basket.

At first I thought it was scale, so I soaked it in vinegar overnight, with no change. I then thought it was my consumer tier kitchenaid grinder putting too much fine grounds into the mix so I tried my hand grinder at a similar setting, same thing.

Of course, I think it’s a great excuse to get a new grinder, but what else could it be? Do metal filters just go bad?

Or, maybe I shouldn’t clean it with soap anymore?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

red19fire posted:

I’ve been using the same metal pour over filter for several years. (I think it was by Hario but it’s similar to this one) I keep it clean, soap and water after every use, occasional dishwasher cycle. Lately, it completely clogs up about halfway through the pour process. It flows fine for the first minute, then slows to a drop at a time until it stops entirely with 1/4 of the water left in the basket.

At first I thought it was scale, so I soaked it in vinegar overnight, with no change. I then thought it was my consumer tier kitchenaid grinder putting too much fine grounds into the mix so I tried my hand grinder at a similar setting, same thing.

Of course, I think it’s a great excuse to get a new grinder, but what else could it be? Do metal filters just go bad?

Or, maybe I shouldn’t clean it with soap anymore?

Soap is likely needed to dissolve some (all?) of the oils from the coffee that can't be completely rinsed away via plain water.

I don't have enough experience using metal filters to help troubleshoot past that, tho.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try a paper filter in a different cone and see if it still clogs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

nope but it's totally on my agenda now

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

FAUXTON posted:

mediaphage posted:

nope but it's totally on my agenda now

Please post if and when you find it, I’d love to try it too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/competition-series-finca-inmaculada-coffee-eugenioides

You want to give it a little extra time to extract but it's like no other coffee I've ever tried - there's a really nice chocolatey note that goes all the way through from nose to palate and it finishes with something almost like steamed-with-a-hint-of-scald milk. If it wasn't the equivalent of $120 per pound I'd try more stuff with it but for now I'm just kinda trying one cup at a time.

E: the beans are so tiny compared to normal coffee

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks! I’ll do my next coffee order from them and get a bag. Perhaps if interest in it grows enough we’ll see it become more available.

Edit: how do you recommend brewing? Was thinking French press or Aeropress for more control over the extraction time?

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 15, 2020