Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think the weapon change that stood out to me the most in a quick skim was the Beekeeper sword. "Nerfed damage, nerfed use speed, nerfed knockback... Oh also removed autoswing" Removing auto-swing from anything is just cruel :saddowns:

EDIT: Whoops, new page. time to dig up link quotes!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No more:
  • Hardmode boss fights made easy by the Deadalus Stormbow
  • Nearly-free healing by cheesing the nurse at almost no cost
  • Fishing up crates to hoard them for instant hardmode ores later
  • Killing man eaters by mining their block
  • Selling strange plants for big bucks, until hardmode
  • Rushing hell with a reaver shark or meteor pick for a hellforge
  • Explosive traps that are missing the detonator
  • Speedruns that rely on lucky coin portal RNG (they're twice as rare now)

And due to bug fixes, no more:
  • Item duplication exploits using furniture
  • Dummy/slime mount invincibility exploit
  • Infinite fishing line exploit (?)
  • Flower boots exploits (for spawning critters?)
  • Despwaning Skeletron's arms by running away
  • Spider minions counting as less than one minion

But on the plus side, no more:
  • Summons screwing up your DPS by granting your enemies iframes
  • Leaving a bunch of items behind because your inventory is full (you can at least send them home now)
  • Waiting for the holiday season to get special holiday drops (you can, with difficulty, force a holiday in-game now)
  • Waiting forever for fishing quests to finally give you the right accessory (better odds)
  • Waiting for day or night (you can control time by sleeping in beds now)
  • Waiting to respawn (it at least shows you a countdown now)
  • Missing Lava Charms or Enchanted Swords from your map (they're fishable now, although the sword is nerfed)
  • Hoplites one-shotting you
  • Being plagued by torches/glowsticks taking up multiple inventory slots (somewhat for explosives too)
  • Permanently losing money due to the monster that stole it from you despawning
  • Tearing down your house just to change its material

Tenebrais posted:

The nurse's cost scales with your progress.
Pre-hardmode and post-hardmode crates are separate items.
The Hellforge needs a Demonite/crimtane pickaxe to mine when it's in hell
Torches (and some other items) now stack to 999
Expert monsters that steal your gold are saved, spawn back in when you're in range of them, and apparently tracked on the map.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I didn't even play during the last updates that added new stuff like hard mode so... god drat that's a lot of new stuff :stare:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m super stoked about the rocket weapon buffs and new rocket types

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The list above is just unwanted stuff they took OUT, not any of the stuff that they added. The "added/new stuff" part of the changelog is huge

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah they added one thousand new items

e: they nerfed the spawn rates of ufos in the martian madness invasion and removed the second phase on everything below expert

the second phase is piss easy to dodge but i know lots of people were complaining about them

watho fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 15, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's honestly no changes there that I seriously object to, although a few of the bugfixes had me thinking "that sounds hilarious, they should make something that intentionally duplicates that behavior."

Smaller snow biome is the change I like best, though. Hated the occasional world where I had like twenty feet of forest bordered by an acre each of desert and tundra.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Haven't played Terraria since 2015 but all this new 1.4 stuff looks exciting.

I'm debating trying out Expert mode for the extra goodies but I've never even beaten Wall of Flesh. Is that a bad idea?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

I'm debating trying out Expert mode for the extra goodies but I've never even beaten Wall of Flesh. Is that a bad idea?

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard. I'd highly recommend trying to stick it out through the Eye of Cthulhu at least, its expert reward is a much bigger game-changer than other early bosses.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

axeil posted:

I’m late to this boat, I just started playing a couple weeks ago with my kids. Them on normal, and expert mode for me. From my experience, expert mode adds some pretty brutal obstacles to overcome - expert Skeletron is just rough, with a ton of HP and defense, plus homing ranged attacks and a charge that stun locks. I relied heavily on cheesing with the nurse when I couldn’t avoid the charge attack consistently. Expert Wall of Flesh wasn’t as bad, I mostly put it off to get my world hard-mode ready for a while. It’s easiest with a good ranged weapon, in my case a Phoenix Blaster. I’d say all the bosses on expert require arenas if you’re not over equipped, plus heavy potion use - regeneration and iron skin in particular, coupled with fires and heart lanterns to keep health up.

By comparison the normal mode bosses are fairly trivial once you’ve gotten used to the expert variants. I think expert is much more satisfying to play, since you can really take on bosses without too much effort on normal.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you jump into expert my advice is always to get bombs from pots and brown chests and break two orbs ASAP so you can get meteorite (hopefully). Mine it up with sticky bombs.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Expert mode is a much deadlier world, boss fights may last a significant chunk of the night, and you must be well prepared. On the other hand, finally killing a boss in expert mode is significant. It's an achievement. Some of them are absolute assholes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Huh, thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm not great at fighting bosses but I built arenas for all the ones I ever fought. Maybe I'll generate both a normal world and expert world and switch back and forth. That's allowed right, since the character and world are different saves?

It still blows my mind that there are all these things in the game I've never seen. The friggin' Crimson still feels new and exotic to me and that's been in the game for almost 7 years now. I still have my first ever world saved and the generation date on it is February of 2012.

I like that I can force the game to choose Crimson/Corruption as I still have never seen Crimson.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was kind of secretly hoping they'd add a crimson/corruption hybrid world options. Initially it spawns one on each side so yeah.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The TerraCustom program can do that, and a ton of other really cool advanced custom world creation. It took my dozens of tries from the program crashing, but I once made a true Mega World of 16000x5000 size, with one Crimson and one Corruption at either side of the map, along with a bunch of other weird/neat features.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I like to use TerraCustom, which allows you to customize a ton of options in worldgen. Having both crimson and corruption is my personal preference for sure, but you have to turn down the amount or else it gets overwhelming. One corruption chasm complex and one crimson hole is good enough for me, or else you start winding up with them eating your desert or cutting through the jungle and stuff like that. Who knows how long it'll take /if it'll be updated for 1.4, though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Honestly half the fun of the final update will be playing through legit with Journey mode, and by the time I totally exhaust the game again, the mods should be starting to pop back in.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Geomancing posted:

I like to use TerraCustom, which allows you to customize a ton of options in worldgen. Having both crimson and corruption is my personal preference for sure, but you have to turn down the amount or else it gets overwhelming. One corruption chasm complex and one crimson hole is good enough for me, or else you start winding up with them eating your desert or cutting through the jungle and stuff like that. Who knows how long it'll take /if it'll be updated for 1.4, though.

It probably won't take a terribly long time, JopoJelly is really loving good at modding and coding. A lot of it will be studying the new worldgen code.
I like to try to get my custom worlds to generate only a single Corruption or Crimson (which is hard since it crashes so often trying to do that). Sometimes I get cheeky and then use TEdit to terraform the Corruption chasms to be Crimson, and vice versa. I usually set gems, gem caves, and gem cave size to maximum for a glittery underground, sky islands to the max amount possible, dungeon to a much smaller size, temple to a maximum size-and-traps setting for a REAL hellhole, and then taper the ice and desert biomes to the smallest possible size.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Black August posted:

Honestly half the fun of the final update will be playing through legit with Journey mode, and by the time I totally exhaust the game again, the mods should be starting to pop back in.

Yeah, my plan is to make a Journey character and probably do something like normal mode bosses > expert bosses > master bosses (if they're not bullshit) and then finally kill WoF to start hardmode and do that all over again.

I'm bad at platformers and bullet hells, so the idea of being able to load up with some goodies from bosses before taking them down on expert sounds awesome.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I was kind of secretly hoping they'd add a crimson/corruption hybrid world options. Initially it spawns one on each side so yeah.

Yeah I'm surprised they didn't do that when they decided on letting you pick. They must have discussed it and chosen not to; it's not like you just wouldn't think of it. I wonder why.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

axeil posted:

Sure, go for it. With Journey mode you can change the difficulty whenever you want! Dont' even need to make another world if Expert is too tough for you, or make an Expert world to farm expert-exclusive stuff, or use a mod to let you change it in one world! :toot:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

tbh Journey mode really looks like the place to be, theres no reason to not want absolute control over your own gaming experience in terraria at this point

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, and I can still do master mode from the very start if I want to. I am very tempted to do Journey just so I can make it rain whenever I want (I love rain in games and Terraria's rains/storms/etc are really nice.)

I need to remember that if I'm playing singleplayer, I'm choosing my own experience and it's not 'cheating' or whatever. Also, Journey. Having infinite building materials (once I get 999 stone/etc) would also be nice. Farming mats for a proper hellevator is tedious.

I'm glad they did the 'creative' mode this way.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Journey Mode giving so much control without needing mods is going to provide a ton of replayability. It'll also make it really good for kids.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm looking forward to not needing to keep chopping down more trees to make torches.

EDIT: without a mod, I mean.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 15, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Excelzior posted:

tbh Journey mode really looks like the place to be, theres no reason to not want absolute control over your own gaming experience in terraria at this point

Are there any downsides to doing Journey mode?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

axeil posted:

You're stuck only being allowed on Journey worlds, that's about the only downside.

In other news: https://www.twitch.tv/pedguin is showing off Master Mode in about 10 minutes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black August posted:

Journey Mode giving so much control without needing mods is going to provide a ton of replayability. It'll also make it really good for kids.

being great for kids is probably one of the best things about it, honestly

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

axeil posted:

I'm not sure it'd be great if you wanted the 'classic' experience because it appears you can work around that, and for those of us who cut our teeth on the classic experience Journey mode as a start might be missing something. Really we won't know until we see it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

axeil posted:

as far as we know, no. don’t know how it will handle master specific rewards as those are supposed to not influence gameplay but aside from that it seems to be an accessibility tool without any penalty which is so loving good and i respect them a lot for implementing it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dackel posted:

You're stuck only being allowed on Journey worlds, that's about the only downside.

In other news: https://www.twitch.tv/pedguin is showing off Master Mode in about 10 minutes

Isn't that the streamer who totally hosed up a stream for them???

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

I'm looking forward to not needing to keep chopping down more trees to make torches.

You know you can buy 'em from the merchant, right? They're cheap and you get a ludicrous amount of money quite quickly in that game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Isn't that the streamer who totally hosed up a stream for them???

are you thinking of hero?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

watho posted:

Yeah!!! Sorry, I'm old, get easily confused.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'll be honest, I don't know any Terraria streamers other than Badger from the GDQ run. I know that 2 are showing off Master mode, and 2 are showing off Journey mode (Badger is in this one)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

You know you can buy 'em from the merchant, right? They're cheap and you get a ludicrous amount of money quite quickly in that game.
Sorry I can't hear you over spending all my money at the goblin tinker reforging things.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

dear lord a 24hour stream. Stay healthy, goons

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zereth posted:

Sorry I can't hear you over spending all my money at the goblin tinker reforging things.

CLANG gently caress CLANG poo poo CLANG EHHHHH

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Did they say anything about fixing the Sonar potion not working with Pickup text off, or with Autopause on, not being able to see reforges update unless you mouseover the thing being reforged?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

watho posted:

The guy with an one hour rant on twitch? Forgot about him, what a douche.\

Edit: Here is the video, don't waste time watching it or do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m78EGWgvN0

"No my girlfriend didn't leave me, I have a humongous dick, and I'm good looking and I make decent money" Around 1 minute in.

benzine fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dareon posted:

CLANG gently caress CLANG poo poo CLANG EHHHHH

"Well I'm getting close to broke and this one is only a LITTLE worse than what I started with, guess I'll stop here'