Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mcmagic posted:

If not for eating a ban for the typical stupid poo poo I get banned constantly for, I would've probably ate one for the Jets signing a 98 year old running back.

*checks rap sheet*

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the Dolphins front office thinks. After all, they're front office for the Dolphins.

Anyway, despite what they spent, the only really top-end talent that they got is Byron Jones. There are still gaping holes at both safety positions, and the LB corps is still the same pretty uninspiring group as before.

If the defense goes from "historically bad" to "below average", that is a huge improvement in the talent level. But a below average defense isn't winning you 4 games on its own.

This assumes that Van Noy is not an upgrade, that our draft did nothing at safety. I think the d will go to above league average if the QB rush just gets to average or slightly below.

The O is better. O line youth and talent got better, improved at RB, and assuming health, our WR corps is sneaky good.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

4-12 with improvement on both lines would sit fine with me

ideally tua would only start the last few games of the season and hey maybe he looks good in them

I'm not a fan and I also don't have a good handle on the Dolphins' fan base outside this forum, so I could be completely wrong, BUT…

This is a lot easier to say now than it would be when you are actually living through it. The team absolutely loaded up with talent on defensive talent in the offseason and added three first-round draft picks. Obviously the Dolphins' schedule is harder this year, but you'd still be watching three losses for every one victory they have. 4-12 is generally the record of a team that can absolutely not compete with good teams, is generally embarrassed by mediocre ones, and looks silly going blow-for-blow with bad ones. You're either talking a six or seven-game losing streak or no consecutive victories.

Compounding all that, national stories will be all about how disappointing the Dolphins have been, being unable to improve despite all the money they spent and all the draft capital they appear to have squandered. Players will start griping and we'll all begin discussing how poisonous the Belichick coaching tree is, how premature we were to crown Flores because Fitzpatrick Fitz'd his ways into improbably victories once again.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fsif posted:

I'm not a fan and I also don't have a good handle on the Dolphins' fan base outside this forum, so I could be completely wrong, BUT…

This is a lot easier to say now than it would be when you are actually living through it. The team absolutely loaded up with talent on defensive talent in the offseason and added three first-round draft picks. Obviously the Dolphins' schedule is harder this year, but you'd still be watching three losses for every one victory they have. 4-12 is generally the record of a team that can absolutely not compete with good teams, is generally embarrassed by mediocre ones, and looks silly going blow-for-blow with bad ones. You're either talking a six or seven-game losing streak or no consecutive victories.

Compounding all that, national stories will be all about how disappointing the Dolphins have been, being unable to improve despite all the money they spent and all the draft capital they appear to have squandered. Players will start griping and we'll all begin discussing how poisonous the Belichick coaching tree is, how premature we were to crown Flores because Fitzpatrick Fitz'd his ways into improbably victories once again.

Yeah, 4-12 could be explained, and fine. If we lose every close game with good/playoff bound teams, but are in the game until the 4th, and we win against the truly bad teams, I could talk myself into being ok with 4-12. But....realistically, it would be tough to lose twice to the Jets, and to any team with a losing record and no real chance at the playoffs.

Then again, I look at the disciplined play in our win against New England, and if we don't see that, even in loses, it doesn't matter what the record is. We need to be better not just win/loss, but move up in the stats on the places we were terrible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fsif posted:

if flores delivers less than 6 wins (which i don’t suspect will happen), he’ll be under the gun in year three; at that point anything less than 8 wins would probably get him canned

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

if flores delivers less than 6 wins (which i don’t suspect will happen), he’ll be under the gun in year three; at that point anything less than 8 wins would probably get him canned

Not at all. As drat near zero. There’d have to be a zero win season and a mutiny in the locker room for Flores to lose the shine he’s got going with our current ownership.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Miami will have new starters at most positions and a bunch of new coaches on the staff. If we have football then it will be after a weird offseason with limited on field work. It's not hard for me to imagine a 5-11 or worse season.

But I don't think it'll put Flores on the hot seat after a season like that.

He'll be on the hot seat if we get to 2021 and it's another 5-11 season and Tua isn't working out.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Dolphins look like a 7-win team to me anyway so I doubt we'll really have to even ever delve into this hypothetical.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

He'll be on the hot seat if we get to 2021 and it's another 5-11 season and Tua isn't working out.

Yeah this is generally where we are, based on all the news coming outta the front office. Their draft picks / approach really backs that up

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I guess if Fitz turns back into pumpkin no one's going to judge Flores that harshly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Fitz will probably play 3-5 games, be mediocre because it's a hard schedule and Tua takes over and unless he plays horribly which he probably won't, it's a mulligan season for everyone involved.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tua won’t play this year unless the OL gels

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
6 wins is about what I would expect. 5 would be acceptable. 4 would make me very worried.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tua won’t play this year unless the OL gels

He will 100% play unless he's hurt. And he should.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He will 100% play unless he's hurt. And he should.

I guess we’ll see! Everyone seems to be saying the same :-)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jets are going to get a sweet draft pick from the Bieniemy rule next year.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I also think Tua will play if healthy. The age of bringing QBs along slowly is over for better or worse because of teams wanting to get the most out of the QB before their rookie deals go out.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think this is all that analogous to the Tua discussion, but man the "bring Josh Allen along slowly" initiative was a complete disaster.

Allen was actually really raw and had a much more legitimate need to have a remedial year, so the Bills spent the entire offseason his rookie year giving him third-team snaps behind Peterman and McCarron. Allen ended up becoming the permanent starter halfway through Week One.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Well, sure. But that idea failed when their starting options were Peterman and McCarron.

If you want your rookie QB to sit awhile you have to have something above a practice squad level QB for him to sit behind.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We’re not talking about sitting Tua for development purposes. We’re not putting him behind that line and letting him take those lumps. It’s Fitz and Rosen’s job

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

We’re not talking about sitting Tua for development purposes. We’re not putting him behind that line and letting him take those lumps. It’s Fitz and Rosen’s job

This line of thinking is completely non existent inside NFL teams. It's not something any team ever does.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Thanks Adam Schefter

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This line of thinking is completely non existent inside NFL teams. It's not something any team ever does.

Lol you really have zero basis for this opinion

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol you really have zero basis for this opinion

Other than the situation you're describing literally never happening.... Team's don't try to protect players like that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The fins explicitly told Fitzmagic that he would be starting this season. He came back because he wants to play, he's not interested in being a backup mentor. The plan seems to have been let Tua spin up on the playbook, let the rookies gel in front of him, then ease him in.

At least, those were the rumors surrounding Fitz coming back this season.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Other than the situation you're describing literally never happening.... Team's don't try to protect players like that.

Okay so yeah literally zero information.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

The fins explicitly told Fitzmagic that he would be starting this season. He came back because he wants to play, he's not interested in being a backup mentor. The plan seems to have been let Tua spin up on the playbook, let the rookies gel in front of him, then ease him in.

Yes. And it’s been really heavily emphasized that this is a three year process. We’re in year 2. Flores and Grier both have referenced Tuas rookie year as a medical redshirt.

If he goes in, Miamis o line has improved to a level the coaches trust. It’s really that simple.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yes. And it’s been really heavily emphasized that this is a three year process. We’re in year 2. Flores and Grier both have referenced Tuas rookie year as a medical redshirt.

If he goes in, Miamis o line has improved to a level the coaches trust. It’s really that simple.

If the expectation was the fins had to have a winning season, or make the playoffs this season, things would be different. Those are the expectations for next year. As you say, a 3 year plan. The whole idea of stripping out anyone making real money, building draft picks even by trading young guys, was to say gently caress it for 19, build in 20, compete in 21.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
When’s the last time a top 10 (or heck, any first round) qb sat all year

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wyoak posted:

When’s the last time a top 10 (or heck, any first round) qb sat all year

Patrick Mahomes was the tenth pick in 2017. He sat out his rookie season until week 17 after the Chiefs had clinched their playoff spot.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 16, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

Patrick Mahomes was the tenth pick in 2017. He sat out his rookie season until week 17 after the Chiefs had clinched their playoff spot.

Yeah, but look how it stunted his development.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

If Ryan Fitzpatrick reaches the postseason for the first time in his career then Tua might sit.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

TheBizzness posted:

Well, sure. But that idea failed when their starting options were Peterman and McCarron.

If you want your rookie QB to sit awhile you have to have something above a practice squad level QB for him to sit behind.
But Nathan Peterman looked so good in practice and knew where the ball was supposed to go, why would they keep a back-up plan?
Also they flipped McCarron for a 5th somehow, compensation like that just can't be passed up.

But yes, it was colossally stupid, my dumb sarcasm aside. Considering Josh Allen almost needed Tommy John surgery, it very nearly turned out even worse than it actually did!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

Completely different situation. They had a good team and were trying to win that season (they did win 10 games and the division) and Smith was a decent starter. They weren't protecting Mahomes. The Dolphins aren't going to do that.

torgeaux posted:

I mean it's obvious to everyone that this promise is worth pretty much nothing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

Completely different situation. They had a good team and were trying to win that season (they did win 10 games and the division) and Smith was a decent starter. They weren't protecting Mahomes. The Dolphins aren't going to do that.

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to make or how you could know what Andy Reid’s intensions were with Mahomes.

I just responded because he asked who was the last QB to sit :shrug:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Okay mcmagic when is Tua gonna start? What week?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Okay mcmagic when is Tua gonna start? What week?

I'd take the under on week 8.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The curse of Fitzpatrick is that regardless of what is promised to him and even if he is told he's a permanent backup, fate aligns to make it so he ends up starting.
Rather that be because of injury or the QB currently starting not being very good...

As for Tua the only reason he should not start is if he is injured. It's hard to believe he needs an entire year to grasp Chan Gailey's offense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to make or how you could know what Andy Reid’s intensions were with Mahomes.

I just responded because he asked who was the last QB to sit :shrug:

The point I was making was that protecting your rookie QB who can otherwise play from a bad offensive line isn't a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Who was the last QB drafted in the top 5 that wasn’t his team’s week 1 starter? Genuine question.

Edit: I forgot Baker didn’t start week 1. Ignore this.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2020