Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think there’s ever been a platinum game on console that’s had a solid frame rate, maybe the new Vanquish release in PS4 is locked 60? You’d think they’d know how to optimize their own games by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Play Miku, dorks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

very cool of them to port Pokemon Puzzle League to the Switch

hatty posted:

I don’t think there’s ever been a platinum game on console that’s had a solid frame rate, maybe the new Vanquish release in PS4 is locked 60? You’d think they’d know how to optimize their own games by now

the bayonetta switch ports ran pretty smoothly didnt they?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah the Bayonetta ports ran really well.

It just sucks a little bit the switch version of W101 has some performance issues.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Awe drat, this SN30+ is super nice. Finally, a good d-pad!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They still had some dips when things got crazy but they were much better than the Wii U versions. It’s too bad Wonderful 101 focused more on resolution than frame rate unlike the Bayonetta ports, performance is a wash but it look prettier I guess

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Night Trap 25th anniversary Edition 90% off in the eshop today :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rutibex posted:

This is like freebasing nostalgia. If you didn't have a Sega CD, you don't know.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s disappointing about the Switch version of W101. Hopefully they can improve it with patches and updates.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Hedonist posted:

Awe drat, this SN30+ is super nice. Finally, a good d-pad!

My next controller is this one. I have both an SN30 and SF30 (Pros) and drat, do I want the plus.

Controllers like these are perfect for both the S/NES Online games, plus SMM2.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Petition to Nintendo to make their console available for purchase.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what's weird to me is that wonderful 101's visuals always felt like they were optimized with 60fps play in mind, the game doesn't just play better at 60fps but it looked its best at the moments where it could approach 60fps. All the colors and small pieces moving around and the visual effects all just seem to pop out more. It's disappointing they didn't push harder to hit that mark on Switch. Barring a major patch I guess the PS4 Pro and Steam versions are the way to go here.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What's up with this Huntdown game? Looks like a Contra style shooter, has anyone played it yet?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/huntdown-switch/

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Social Animal posted:

What's up with this Huntdown game? Looks like a Contra style shooter, has anyone played it yet?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/huntdown-switch/

It's good! One of my favs this year for sure. Look into it and see if it does anything for you personally.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Squiddycat posted:

Play Miku, dorks

At first I was gonna post "the version of Remote Controller they have in Mega Mix sucks" but I did some fact checking and it turns out that's what the original sounds like, and I just thought the song was really good because of the REOL/Kradness cover.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rutibex posted:

I don't know if you're being ironic but Night Trap loving owns and everyone should play it.

You watch video of men walking around - a big red light flashes - you press a button - man falls down. That's pure entertainment. It's great! And historically significant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's also historically accurate

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Respect to Nintendo still doubling down on doing the bare-minimum with its NES / SNES Online service.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it amusing that the game caused so much controversy back in the day only to be rated T for Teen by today's standards.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, Night Trap’s infamy leads one to believe it’s real hosed up, but then you learn it’s goofy budget vampires vs. a Kevin McCallister that joined the FBI.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did anyone bother with Elder Scrolls: Blades on Switch yet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I did, nothing has changed from its iOS / Android release a year ago. Everything you do in town is on a timer, and you are bombarded with pop ups asking you to spend upwards of $99 at a time. Every mission you come back from will ask you to spend money afterwards. The combat is stiff and unresponsive, the buttons on the switch just emulate tapping the screen, it was the bare minimum done to create a Switch port. Missions you go on are what you would expect from a mobile RPG, very short and good in quick bursts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

I did, nothing has changed from its iOS / Android release a year ago. Everything you do in town is on a timer, and you are bombarded with pop ups asking you to spend upwards of $99 at a time. Every mission you come back from will ask you to spend money afterwards. The combat is stiff and unresponsive, the buttons on the switch just emulate tapping the screen, it was the bare minimum done to create a Switch port. Missions you go on are what you would expect from a mobile RPG, very short and good in quick bursts.

Thanks for the trip report but I think I'll pass on that then, don't really want to get blasted with "pay us" ads

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't that one of those lovely phone games that charges you $0.05 every time you swing your sword?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It doesn't even work on my phone so I have no idea about it except what I was just told lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it amusing that the game caused so much controversy back in the day only to be rated T for Teen by today's standards.

honestly even back then it really shouldn't have warranted the M-rating, PG-13 movies from the same time period had worse going on. I mean, Titanic showed naked boobs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Isn't that one of those lovely phone games that charges you $0.05 every time you swing your sword?

Yep, the game instantly bombed on mobile last year, and Bethesda has been trying to think of a way to salvage it along with their reputation because all of their games in the last few years have been bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rutibex posted:

Same with Double Switch. These are priced as such that if you've never played a Sega CD FMV game, you gotta pick at least one up. This was Bougie Adult (NOT Suitable For Kids) Early 90's Video Gaming. These are the games that pushed towards Mortal Kombat's existence; the ESRB.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Night Trap has a surprisingly high file size. I think it was like 4gb. Way larger than what a Sega CD could hold. Did they upscale all the live action footage?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Night Trap has a surprisingly high file size. I think it was like 4gb. Way larger than what a Sega CD could hold. Did they upscale all the live action footage?

Yup! in addition to other features:

quote:

Originally developed by Digital Pictures in 1987 and released in 1992, Night Trap has been completely rebuilt, bringing it to a level of video quality never before seen.

Night Trap tells the story of five teenage girls spending the weekend at the Martin home. As a member of the Special Control Attack Team, your job is to monitor the home and protect the girls using an intricate system of cameras and traps as it is being invaded by vampires.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition also includes new features such as deleted scenes, two documentaries, the all-new Theater that allows you to watch all story-related videos uninterrupted, a new mode called Survivor that will test your skills at trapping intruders and behind the scenes production images. For the first time ever, the unreleased prototype Scene Of The Crime will be fully playable and included with Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Rutibex posted:

When I played it on Android it was worse than that. You find a chest full of loot at the end of a dungeon, but can't open it unless you wait a few hours or pay money to open it immediately. Completely killing any sense of reward for finishing the dungeon.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they removed chest timers iirc but it still isn’t worth spending any time with

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TheMadMilkman posted:

Remember how Second Life was supposed to be the future of online entertainment, with digital equivalents for real life events?

We’re getting all of that now, except it’s happening in a game where you live on an island with a grumpy anthropomorphic bear and shake furniture out of trees.

2020 is amazing.

no joke but there are still companies out there trying to sell ppl on second life for covid-19, it just came up in my IT job last week

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I said come in! posted:

Yep, the game instantly bombed on mobile last year, and Bethesda has been trying to think of a way to salvage it along with their reputation because all of their games in the last few years have been bad.

Lol Bethesda hasn't released a good game since like 2002. The best thing Bethesda has done since then is allow Fallout: New Vegas to be made. Sometimes I just pretend that New Vegas is Fallout 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Will we ever get Spirit of Justice on the Switch?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Remember when people thought mobile games would threaten Nintendo’s reign over handheld gaming?

Which...it did at one point, but then every developer decided to drown their mobile games in monetization bullshit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pants Donkey posted:

Remember when people thought mobile games would threaten Nintendo’s reign over handheld gaming?

Which...it did at one point, but then every developer decided to drown their mobile games in monetization bullshit.

I am honestly flabbergasted no one has made a decent Android gaming tablet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

They’d have to figure out how to make a decent Android tablet first.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Squiddycat posted:

Play Miku, dorks

Play Miku? Dorks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

nvidia made a really good one called the shield k1 that had a bunch of legitimately good ports of pc and console games like half-life 2, portal, borderlands 2, metal gear rising, tomb raider, etc. and they were going to make a shield k2 but then nintendo was like "make the switch for us instead" so they did